Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#8201 murlow12
Member since 2005 • 11109 Posts
[QUOTE="Phantom5800"][QUOTE="lebanese_boy"]

but why in the world did GS give it 7.5 ???

lebanese_boy

Because it plays like a Zelda game? I'm pretty sure that was the reviewers reasoning. I also still need to get Skyward Sword, Return to Dreamland, and Donkey Kong Country Returns ... I have a preorder on Xenoblade Chronicles for when it comes to the US in April and have plenty of other games I own and should play ... I blame Steam.

I thought it was something about the controls, the very thing that was praised by many others lol.

@murlow12: ohh E74... yeah I remember this kind of error being a tough cookie. Best of luck with that faulty hardware, who knows when mine will let go too... If the next Xbox has something that comes even close to that I'm simply not buying it.

Anybody saw the Alienware x51? That thing is amazing :D

I actually found a place in the capital city here (Santiago) to get it fixed. Apparently it's the only place in the country that has the proper machine. It cost $40 (good IMO) and it worked brilliantly for a couple weeks, then it died again :( I guess I'm just gonna have to buy a new one (a slim this time) and have my brother ship it to me. Such a hassle.
Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#8202 REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts
[QUOTE="Phantom5800"][QUOTE="lebanese_boy"]

but why in the world did GS give it 7.5 ???

lebanese_boy

Because it plays like a Zelda game? I'm pretty sure that was the reviewers reasoning. I also still need to get Skyward Sword, Return to Dreamland, and Donkey Kong Country Returns ... I have a preorder on Xenoblade Chronicles for when it comes to the US in April and have plenty of other games I own and should play ... I blame Steam.

I thought it was something about the controls, the very thing that was praised by many others lol.

@murlow12: ohh E74... yeah I remember this kind of error being a tough cookie. Best of luck with that faulty hardware, who knows when mine will let go too... If the next Xbox has something that comes even close to that I'm simply not buying it.

Anybody saw the Alienware x51? That thing is amazing :D

The controls really added to the experience, I thought. There were some small kinks to be worked out, but honestly, I've yet to play a motion controlled game that didn't have kinks, so Gamespot may have judged a bit unfairly. It's been a few months since I finished the game, and thus far it has left a much better aftertaste in my mouth than Twilight Princess, and any perceived flaws could easily be seen as stylistic choices. How does everyone feel about the WiiU potentially being less powerful than the 360 and PS3? I'm sort of doubting it, but even if it were to be true, I don't think I'd care much. Either way, it's a big graphical leap for Nintendo, going from Gamecube-esque visuals to 360-esque visuals. I think graphical advancements are starting to plateau, anyway.
gameman9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8203 gameman9
Member since 2004 • 5949 Posts
I'm posting this message to see the other messages.
Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#8204 REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts

I'm going to take a second to do a quick Nintendo rant...

So a few months ago, someone broke into my apartment and stole - among other things - my Wii. This was right before SS came out, so I ended up buying a used Wii from GameStop, which worked out fine. Yesterday, however, as I brought home my copy of Xenoblade and slipped it in the system to play, I got a disc read error. For anyone who is familiar with the problem, Xenoblade uses a dual-layered disc, which are difficult to be read by lenses of older Wii systems and/or systems that have collected a lot of dirt and dust.

My journey, therefore, took me to every local retailer in search of a Wii Lens Cleaning Kit. Not a single retailer carries it, as it turns out, and Nintendo's customer service was incredibly ignorant of the fact that this is not my problem, but Nintendo's problem. I'm baffled that the company can admit its newer Wiis read dual-layered discs, and yet its older models generally do not - and all at once claim that I should pay $15 for a lens cleaner when I had no way of preventing it from getting dirty to begin with. Which leads me to this question: why in God's name does the Wii not use a disc tray like every other mainstream device? This problem would be easy to fix if I could use a universal cleaning kit, but I can't. Worse yet, they're using the same design for the WiiU.

I just wanted to play Xenoblade and eat Chinese food on my Friday night, dammit.

Phantom5800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8205 Phantom5800
Member since 2006 • 10200 Posts
I was trying to think of devices other than the Wii and PS3 that do not use a tray, and besides very rare laptop drives I have seen, I can't think of any. I really do wonder what made them think of the design ... it's pretty cool and sleek, but I can definitely see it being easier for dust to build up. Personally, I've never had a problem with either system having disc read errors (unless the disc was just really bad). Can't wait for my summer to begin so I have some free time to put in Xenoblade (just three weeks)
gameman9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8206 gameman9
Member since 2004 • 5949 Posts

I'm going to take a second to do a quick Nintendo rant...

So a few months ago, someone broke into my apartment and stole - among other things - my Wii. This was right before SS came out, so I ended up buying a used Wii from GameStop, which worked out fine. Yesterday, however, as I brought home my copy of Xenoblade and slipped it in the system to play, I got a disc read error. For anyone who is familiar with the problem, Xenoblade uses a dual-layered disc, which are difficult to be read by lenses of older Wii systems and/or systems that have collected a lot of dirt and dust.

My journey, therefore, took me to every local retailer in search of a Wii Lens Cleaning Kit. Not a single retailer carries it, as it turns out, and Nintendo's customer service was incredibly ignorant of the fact that this is not my problem, but Nintendo's problem. I'm baffled that the company can admit its newer Wiis read dual-layered discs, and yet its older models generally do not - and all at once claim that I should pay $15 for a lens cleaner when I had no way of preventing it from getting dirty to begin with. Which leads me to this question: why in God's name does the Wii not use a disc tray like every other mainstream device? This problem would be easy to fix if I could use a universal cleaning kit, but I can't. Worse yet, they're using the same design for the WiiU.

I just wanted to play Xenoblade and eat Chinese food on my Friday night, dammit.

REVOLUTIONfreak

I'm sorry that you got your stuff stolen, but isn't GameStop suppose to clean used systems before selling them?

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8207 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

Ahhh, I know s*** happens but I still can't believe we live in such a world... roamed by thieves...

I hope they didn't steal anything that's not easily replaceable. As for the disc tray subject, I personally don't care for self-loading slots or not. Never had a dust problem with either my Wii or PS3, what's important to me is that the damn thing works and plays my games.

As for the WiiU, I think it'll be on par with the X360 and really... that's quite good for a home console. Whatever leap the next Xbox and PS will have over the current gen won't be so big. So much that I think we'll still be able to compare current gen games to their own. So basically graphic wise it'll be a little better but I think they will bet their money on the strength of their hardware (to allow more depth for their games) and the controls. All speculation of course, but I think Nintendo would be in a much better position than it is with the Wii right now.

The Wii basically being a beefed up Gamecube with a motion controller....

Also while we're on the subject, what do you guys think about all the rumours of the next PS and Xbox? Not so high on those. from one way I hear that they won't let you use used games (BIG thumb down), and I also hear the next Xbox will require a permanent internet connection (WTF). In fact I've been thinking about investing on a gaming rig and basically replace the Xbox and PS with it. As for the WiiU, if it's good enough I might buy it.

murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8208 murlow12
I was trying to think of devices other than the Wii and PS3 that do not use a tray, and besides very rare laptop drives I have seen, I can't think of any. I really do wonder what made them think of the design ... it's pretty cool and sleek, but I can definitely see it being easier for dust to build up. Personally, I've never had a problem with either system having disc read errors (unless the disc was just really bad). Can't wait for my summer to begin so I have some free time to put in Xenoblade (just three weeks)Phantom5800
My macbook, which is about 4 years old now, doesn't use a disc tray. It has the same system as the Wii. As of yet it still works, but I hardly ever use it. Just once in a while when I'm feeling nostalgic and break out the original Starcraft or Age of Empires II.
murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8209 murlow12

Ahhh, I know s*** happens but I still can't believe we live in such a world... roamed by thieves...

I hope they didn't steal anything that's not easily replaceable. As for the disc tray subject, I personally don't care for self-loading slots or not. Never had a dust problem with either my Wii or PS3, what's important to me is that the damn thing works and plays my games.

As for the WiiU, I think it'll be on par with the X360 and really... that's quite good for a home console. Whatever leap the next Xbox and PS will have over the current gen won't be so big. So much that I think we'll still be able to compare current gen games to their own. So basically graphic wise it'll be a little better but I think they will bet their money on the strength of their hardware (to allow more depth for their games) and the controls. All speculation of course, but I think Nintendo would be in a much better position than it is with the Wii right now.

The Wii basically being a beefed up Gamecube with a motion controller....

Also while we're on the subject, what do you guys think about all the rumours of the next PS and Xbox? Not so high on those. from one way I hear that they won't let you use used games (BIG thumb down), and I also hear the next Xbox will require a permanent internet connection (WTF). In fact I've been thinking about investing on a gaming rig and basically replace the Xbox and PS with it. As for the WiiU, if it's good enough I might buy it.

lebanese_boy

I agree with you about the graphics, Lebs. The games on the current gen are so beautiful that I can't imagine much of an improvement. That's also why I'm in absolutely no hurry for the new ones to come out. I still LOVE my 360 -- so much so, in fact, that after it red ringed (I fixed it but it only worked for 3 more weeks) I bought a brand new 360, which I plan to play for a couple more years, easy.

As for the Wii U, I think the success rides on the price point. So many of us were burned by the Wii that we won't even consider buying anything that's more than $300. I, for one, will almost certainly NOT buy a Wii U regardless of the price (at least not initially, anyway). A Vita and 3DS are way hight on my list, and I probably won't get either of those this year, either. But back to the Wii U price, I don't see how it could be less than $300 with all of the technology they're putting into it. A $400 Wii U would be a Nintendo death sentence, IMO.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8210 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

I agree with you about the graphics, Lebs. The games on the current gen are so beautiful that I can't imagine much of an improvement. That's also why I'm in absolutely no hurry for the new ones to come out. I still LOVE my 360 -- so much so, in fact, that after it red ringed (I fixed it but it only worked for 3 more weeks) I bought a brand new 360, which I plan to play for a couple more years, easy.

As for the Wii U, I think the success rides on the price point. So many of us were burned by the Wii that we won't even consider buying anything that's more than $300. I, for one, will almost certainly NOT buy a Wii U regardless of the price (at least not initially, anyway). A Vita and 3DS are way hight on my list, and I probably won't get either of those this year, either. But back to the Wii U price, I don't see how it could be less than $300 with all of the technology they're putting into it. A $400 Wii U would be a Nintendo death sentence, IMO.

murlow12

I think they already confirmed that the WiiU won't be priced like the Wii, so expect something of at the very least 300$. I could actually see it at 400$, not necessarily a death sentence but ideally for everyone the thing won't be any more expensive than 350$. A good price for a brand new console IMO.

3DS, I'm waiting for a re-design this thing is just too ugly and I'm simply not buying... plus from what I hear the re-design might have better battery life and even a 2nd control stick! Whatever it is it'll be worth the wait, I'm sure of it.

As for the VITA, well... not buying it before the 3DS. It's shaping up pretty well but I don't feel like its getting the success it deserves. I mean the thing is miles better than the 3DS but its not getting any attention.Â