Is it wise for Nintendo to not give the Wii a price drop in 2009? (Weekly Poll)

Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

#1 REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts
Based on recent comments by Nintendo President Satoru Iwata, Nintendo has zero intentions of dropping the price of the Wii in 2009. Clearly, this is probably because the Wii still sells consistently well, but it's worth noting that sales have drastically decreased in Japan, and are slowing down in other countries as well. With Microsoft and Sony both predicted to cut the price of their consoles in the coming months, is it really all that wise for Nintendo to not give the Wii a price cut? Especially since we all know that it can't possibly cost that much to produce such a technically inferior console compared to its competition.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#2 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts
It would be a good idea if Sony and Microsoft are thinking of dropping the price to stay ahead in the sales but with Wii Sports Resort coming out I expect that to sell alot of them at the price it is now. So maybe Nintendo should just keep it as it is for now and if they do start to see the gap close then consider one but for now I say no because Wii Sports Resort will probably sell alot worldwide which willh help the Nintendo Wii in sales.
bededog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#3 bededog
Member since 2005 • 8579 Posts
A price cut would be nice, but it doesn't make any financial sense to do so. The Wii is still selling strong, until that stops it isn't in Nintendo's interest to make a price cut. Even if other consoles close in on the Wii's price point, it won't matter much. Wii's best selling point isn't the price of the console, it's the Nintendo name and motion controls(among other things). I think instead of dropping the price of the console, they should make some bundles. It would be nice if you could get a Wii with Motion Plus included, that would save a lot for the consumer.
Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#4 REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts

A price cut would be nice, but it doesn't make any financial sense to do so. The Wii is still selling strong, until that stops it isn't in Nintendo's interest to make a price cut. Even if other consoles close in on the Wii's price point, it won't matter much. Wii's best selling point isn't the price of the console, it's the Nintendo name and motion controls(among other things). I think instead of dropping the price of the console, they should make some bundles. It would be nice if you could get a Wii with Motion Plus included, that would save a lot for the consumer.bededog
Better yet, why don't they do that already?

Maybe even make Wii Sports obsolete and just bundle in Wii Sports Resort?

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#5 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

[QUOTE="bededog"]A price cut would be nice, but it doesn't make any financial sense to do so. The Wii is still selling strong, until that stops it isn't in Nintendo's interest to make a price cut. Even if other consoles close in on the Wii's price point, it won't matter much. Wii's best selling point isn't the price of the console, it's the Nintendo name and motion controls(among other things). I think instead of dropping the price of the console, they should make some bundles. It would be nice if you could get a Wii with Motion Plus included, that would save a lot for the consumer.REVOLUTIONfreak

Better yet, why don't they do that already?

Maybe even make Wii Sports obsolete and just bundle in Wii Sports Resort?

I agree that would be a much better deal.
murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 murlow12
Member since 2005 • 11109 Posts

I read that the market is saturated for Wii's at the current price point.  Makes sense to lower the price then, right?  Nintendo baffles me sometimes.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts
I don't like the Wii's price but from a business point of view it is wiser to drop the price. Then again the thing is still selling tons so who gives?
Dgalmun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 Dgalmun
Member since 2009 • 16266 Posts
Yes, they would make more sales and stupid kids (no offense) can ask their parents on getting it fro 100 dollars.
murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 murlow12
Member since 2005 • 11109 Posts

I just heard that the price is going to drop to $199 very soon.

Leaked Toys R US ad

gameman9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 gameman9
Member since 2004 • 5949 Posts
The price did drop to $199.