REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

#1 REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts

For those of you still lingering on the board (which makes me very happy to see, I might add), I thought I'd create a separate topic for this year's E3.

Let the Wii U criticism commence.

gameman9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 gameman9
Member since 2004 • 5949 Posts
It took long for E3 to get here.
HyruleanLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 HyruleanLink
Member since 2005 • 5221 Posts
My heart skipped a beat when I saw this topic on my feed box. For E3, I think Nintendo will push more of WiiU then the 3DS this year. I would really need to see some games and hardware to buy the Wii U right away but I don't see that happening. For non-Nintendo items, I would like to hear more about Assassin's Creed III, Medal of Honor, and Last Guardian.
Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 REVOLUTIONfreak

My heart skipped a beat when I saw this topic on my feed box. For E3, I think Nintendo will push more of WiiU then the 3DS this year. I would really need to see some games and hardware to buy the Wii U right away but I don't see that happening. For non-Nintendo items, I would like to hear more about Assassin's Creed III, Medal of Honor, and Last Guardian.HyruleanLink
Nintendo hasn't really been able to hold my interest lately - not even with the 3DS. They're catching up with the times, adding apps like Netflix and (apparently) HBO Go to the 3DS, but in reality, why would I opt to watch The Sopranos on my low-battery life 3DS over my tablet or smartphone? And they haven't said a peep about new games for the rest of the calendar year, but I guess that'll be remedied soon enough. I am eager to hear more about the new Castlevania game for the 3DS, I just hope they don't ruin it by taking out all of the things that made the DS games so great.

As for Wii U, I'm just hoping it's not as much of a mess as it was last year. I think Nintendo showed their cards a little too early on that one. They'll need to really "wow" me to get me excited enough for a purchase this fall.

REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 REVOLUTIONfreak

Okay, so here are my first few thoughts based on the short presentation Nintendo did today:

• Motion sensing wasn't mentioned even once during the entire thing, which says a lot about Nintendo's direction. Motion sensing appears to be a thing of the past.
  • The Wii U Pro looks nifty, but it could also be bad press for them, taken more as an acknowlegment of how large and uncomfortable the Wii U GamePad is rather than simply an alternative. I feel like the Classic Controller for the Wii sort of made developers lazier than they would have been otherwise, tailoring controls to a classic controller rather than taking the time to perfect standard controls.
  • Nintendo is being very, very smart so far. They're playing a lot on the idea of social interaction and convergence with television. I took a course two semesters ago on "the future of television," and a lot of what we talked about involved points Nintendo subtly made throughout the presentation. I like that Nintendo is thinking outside the box with their way of going about convergence, rather than just advertising a bunch of new apps the way Microsoft might be inclined to do.
  • In general, Nintendo reminded me of why I like and respect them so much: Iwata spent a lot of time explaining not the business end of things, but the conceptual side of it all, even citing a book they found inspirational when going about their strategy with Wii U. I think they're wise to address the "together alone" phenomenon that continues to evolve alongside technology.

Basically, they have my attention, and I'm eager to see what software and specs they have to back-up their talk on Tuesday. I'm also intrigued by "Mii Universe," but I think I need to be reassured that it actually is something unique.

HyruleanLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 HyruleanLink

Okay, so here are my first few thoughts based on the short presentation Nintendo did today:

• Motion sensing wasn't mentioned even once during the entire thing, which says a lot about Nintendo's direction. Motion sensing appears to be a thing of the past.
  • The Wii U Pro looks nifty, but it could also be bad press for them, taken more as an acknowlegment of how large and uncomfortable the Wii U GamePad is rather than simply an alternative. I feel like the Classic Controller for the Wii sort of made developers lazier than they would have been otherwise, tailoring controls to a classic controller rather than taking the time to perfect standard controls.
  • Nintendo is being very, very smart so far. They're playing a lot on the idea of social interaction and convergence with television. I took a course two semesters ago on "the future of television," and a lot of what we talked about involved points Nintendo subtly made throughout the presentation. I like that Nintendo is thinking outside the box with their way of going about convergence, rather than just advertising a bunch of new apps the way Microsoft might be inclined to do.
  • In general, Nintendo reminded me of why I like and respect them so much: Iwata spent a lot of time explaining not the business end of things, but the conceptual side of it all, even citing a book they found inspirational when going about their strategy with Wii U. I think they're wise to address the "together alone" phenomenon that continues to evolve alongside technology.

Basically, they have my attention, and I'm eager to see what software and specs they have to back-up their talk on Tuesday. I'm also intrigued by "Mii Universe," but I think I need to be reassured that it actually is something unique.

REVOLUTIONfreak
I did watch that video by Iwata pre-E3 conference. I liked their presentation and the direction they are going with it. For the conference itself, I was disappointed because they didn't really mention many games besides NSMB U and Pikmin 3 (finally). They did show Batman, Mass Effect 3, and ACIII, but I have plan to buy or already played these games. I am sure Nintendo has more games in stock, but they choose not to say. I am not quite sold on the game lineup so far. Oh and lets not forget the new "Wii Sports" for Wii U, Nintendo Land.
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 REVOLUTIONfreak

[QUOTE="REVOLUTIONfreak"]

HyruleanLink

I did watch that video by Iwata pre-E3 conference. I liked their presentation and the direction they are going with it. For the conference itself, I was disappointed because they didn't really mention many games besides NSMB U and Pikmin 3 (finally). They did show Batman, Mass Effect 3, and ACIII, but I have plan to buy or already played these games. I am sure Nintendo has more games in stock, but they choose not to say. I am not quite sold on the game lineup so far. Oh and lets not forget the new "Wii Sports" for Wii U, Nintendo Land.

Yeah, to say Nintendo's E3 showing was a disappointment would be a huge understatement. I don't even want to buy the thing based on what they've shown so far. Where are the games, Nintendo? And by games, I don't mean third-party ports of games that have been out for a year, or Pikmin 3 (which clearly got the Twilight Princess treatment in being lazily brought to a new platform).

Phantom5800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Phantom5800
Member since 2006 • 10200 Posts
As someone that typically finds a way to defend Nintendo in almost any situation ... I have to say I was fairly disappointed. The presentation itself was awful. New Super Mario Bros U isn't something I'll buy the system for .... it's something I'll get if I buy the system, same with Pikmin 3. ZombiU looks interesting and I really want to try it, depending on reviews, that might be the game that gets me to buy a WiiU near launch. Lego City Undercover also looks fun, something I may pick up if I get a WiiU near launch. It was very underwhelming, but to say Microsoft or Sony did much better would just be flat out lying. E3 was fairly terrible across the board this year, imo.
murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 murlow12
Member since 2005 • 11109 Posts
Is anyone thinking about buying the WiiU? I'm not even considering it...
lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

Is anyone thinking about buying the WiiU? I'm not even considering it...murlow12

Definitely not in the mood right now but I'll give it some time... maybe it'll impress me with a badass Zelda or Smash Bros. game. Not proud to say but these would be reasons alone for me to buy it. I do own a freakin' Wii after all XD 

murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 murlow12
Member since 2005 • 11109 Posts

[QUOTE="murlow12"]Is anyone thinking about buying the WiiU? I'm not even considering it...lebanese_boy

Definitely not in the mood right now but I'll give it some time... maybe it'll impress me with a badass Zelda or Smash Bros. game. Not proud to say but these would be reasons alone for me to buy it. I do own a freakin' Wii after all XD 

Nothing has impressed so far...
Phantom5800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Phantom5800
Member since 2006 • 10200 Posts
[QUOTE="lebanese_boy"]

[QUOTE="murlow12"]Is anyone thinking about buying the WiiU? I'm not even considering it...murlow12

NSMBU is fun, and of the NSMB series it's probably the best ... NintendoLand is an ok party game, about as much as Wii Sports was. ZombiU is good as well, but not worth $60, it's more like a $30-$40 game imo. Nintendo did announce some upcoming titles which sound exciting though. A new MonolithSoft game (looks like Xenoblade 2), a Yoshi game made by the Epic Yarn team, and Shin Megami Tensai X Fire Emblem (I am SUPER excited for this). They also announced Wind Waker HD, which is cool, and as long as it's not taking them a ton of development time to make is fine by me. Mario Kart, Smash, and a new Mario 3D will be shown at E3 this year, so there's more to come. I have faith that they'll get the ball rolling over time, they just need to patch the horrendously slow OS and starting bringing out the big games.
HyruleanLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 HyruleanLink
[QUOTE="murlow12"][QUOTE="lebanese_boy"]

[QUOTE="murlow12"]Is anyone thinking about buying the WiiU? I'm not even considering it...Phantom5800

NSMBU is fun, and of the NSMB series it's probably the best ... NintendoLand is an ok party game, about as much as Wii Sports was. ZombiU is good as well, but not worth $60, it's more like a $30-$40 game imo. Nintendo did announce some upcoming titles which sound exciting though. A new MonolithSoft game (looks like Xenoblade 2), a Yoshi game made by the Epic Yarn team, and Shin Megami Tensai X Fire Emblem (I am SUPER excited for this). They also announced Wind Waker HD, which is cool, and as long as it's not taking them a ton of development time to make is fine by me. Mario Kart, Smash, and a new Mario 3D will be shown at E3 this year, so there's more to come. I have faith that they'll get the ball rolling over time, they just need to patch the horrendously slow OS and starting bringing out the big games.

Phantom summed it up nicely. I was hoping to see a new Metroid or Star Fox for either platform. For Shin X Fire emblem, is that for 3DS or Wii U? I really have been in my 3DS since I got it in January.
lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts
WiiU is coming along nicely and I'm now actually considering getting one. But not anytime soon since I'm finally getting my gaming PC that I've been blabbering about for so long :D