REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

#1 REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts
Has anyone here played Final Fantasy VI, whether it have been the newly released GBA version or the SNES version?  I'm considering buying it, since I am in the mood for a lengthy RPG with a good storyline, but I don't want this game to feel outdated.  That has been the problem with the other FF games I have bought on the DS and GBA, they feel too old school for their own good.  Plus, their story's have sucked.
ihateelvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 ihateelvis
Member since 2006 • 2380 Posts
I played the original on the SNES, and it's definitely one of the best ones. The characters are interesting (and there's quite a few of them too), and the Esper system is really awesome. I would definitely suggest buying it. :)
wickerman2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 wickerman2004
Member since 2004 • 3878 Posts

I think I'm going to pick this up....prolly be my last NEW GBA purchase....the end of an era.

It looks good and I've not heard anything bad about it.

94iceman94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 94iceman94
Member since 2007 • 1094 Posts
nope
Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 REVOLUTIONfreak
I think I may end up buying it today... I just hope I'm not disappointed with it like I was with FF 1,2, and 3 for the GBA and DS.
ihateelvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ihateelvis
Really? If you were disappointed with those, what makes you think that you're going to like this one?
wickerman2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 wickerman2004

6 is supposed to be the cream of the crop from the Nintendo FF games released before 7, all the reviews are good.

I went to buy this yesterday and they were out (!) so instead I picked up Paper Mario TYD and Geist...both for $35....I've been play PM:TYD most of the day...first time ever playing a paper mario game and i have to say this should be THE new direction major mario games go in from now on.

I really can't wait for SPM now......but I'm still going to buy FF6 though.

REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 REVOLUTIONfreak

6 is supposed to be the cream of the crop from the Nintendo FF games released before 7, all the reviews are good.

I went to buy this yesterday and they were out (!) so instead I picked up Paper Mario TYD and Geist...both for $35....I've been play PM:TYD most of the day...first time ever playing a paper mario game and i have to say this should be THE new direction major mario games go in from now on.

I really can't wait for SPM now......but I'm still going to buy FF6 though.

wickerman2004
I bought it today... here are my first impressions after having played it for about an hour and a half: The gameplay so far seems to be very unique compared to the other turn based RPG's, because unlike other RPG's there is a time limit of sorts for you to determine your strategy. Also, magic isn't as common, and you have more character choices. The story so far is probably the best part about the game, the villain has a very interesting personality. Unfortunately I do have two big complaints, the fact that you can't move diagonally when walking around (minor but a pet peeve for me), and the visuals aren't quite as bright and colorful as you might think... but I think that is more the art style than anything. It is pretty good so far though.
-DuNN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 -DuNN-
Member since 2006 • 4767 Posts
I was thinking of getting this game too, but the graphics for me they need to be decent and I have seen pics for this game and they look really bad. So my question is does the gameplay make up for the graphics?
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 REVOLUTIONfreak
I was thinking of getting this game too, but the graphics for me they need to be decent and I have seen pics for this game and they look really bad. So my question is does the gameplay make up for the graphics?-DuNN-
too soon to tell thus far..... the graphics aren't exactly bad, to me it is just the art style... because it has a darker feel to it than most games, meaning that you don't see environments with colors that just pop. The visuals aren't the best, but they aren't the worst either.... definitely not as bad as FFI and II, or even IV and V for that matter.
-DuNN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -DuNN-
Final Fantasy III for DS was good for me. I just don't like the way they have the game set up.
ihateelvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ihateelvis
Well, you have to remember this is a remake of a SNES RPG. It's not going to be as graphically impressive as most other games. If you like RPG's but graphics mean a lot to you, then you can pretty much ignore and forget about all of the classics. ;)

FFVI is a really good game, don't let graphics stop you from playing it. :)
wickerman2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wickerman2004

you can't move diagnally? That I must admit is a pet peeve of mine also.

How is the pace?

REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 REVOLUTIONfreak

you can't move diagnally? That I must admit is a pet peeve of mine also.

How is the pace?

wickerman2004
What do you mean by pace? If you mean the flow of the game as in the storyline and such, everything so far lives up to today's standards for an RPG, just a few problems are kind of noticeable. For example, the random battles are almost kind of ridiculous. I was playing earlier today and I had just got done with a battle, I took two steps (And I do mean a literal two steps) and I got into another random battle. Luckily, the battle system is setup so that the battles don't take that long but still, the frequency of random encounters is hard to get used to... especially since so far I haven't even seen a "Run" option.
ihateelvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ihateelvis
You know, I'm pretty sure you can run if you try pressing left or right on the command menu when you're fighting something.

Yeah, I do sorta remember that game having a messed up random batttle system. Sometimes you don't encounter enemies at all though, so it evens out. Too bad it's not consistent. ;)
wickerman2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wickerman2004

i would guess sooner or later you'd get an item to reduce encounters, random battles that happen that quickly kinda disrupt the game for me, i would like to have settings to adjust that aspect.

maybe a slider bar that idicates no time intervals, just a kind of 'more often' or 'less often' type of thing.

two steps is a bit crazy... :?

REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 REVOLUTIONfreak
You know, I'm pretty sure you can run if you try pressing left or right on the command menu when you're fighting something.

Yeah, I do sorta remember that game having a messed up random batttle system. Sometimes you don't encounter enemies at all though, so it evens out. Too bad it's not consistent. ;)
ihateelvis
Yeah, it really varies. Sometimes I will go an entire room without running into anything, other times it only takes two steps as I mentioned.
ihateelvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ihateelvis
Did you manage to find the run command?
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 REVOLUTIONfreak
Did you manage to find the run command?ihateelvis
Nope
-DuNN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -DuNN-
Well, you have to remember this is a remake of a SNES RPG. It's not going to be as graphically impressive as most other games. If you like RPG's but graphics mean a lot to you, then you can pretty much ignore and forget about all of the classics. ;)

FFVI is a really good game, don't let graphics stop you from playing it. :)
ihateelvis
I don't like to many classic games anyway so I'll be ok.