So what, to you, is the Definitive Castlevania "experience"?

semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 semianonymous
Member since 2007 • 6685 Posts

Everyones got that one game thats just the definitive game in the series, that one game that you always return to, and you'll always suggest to others if they want to get the idea for the series. Whats yours?

Personally, its Castlevania 1. The level design, the sheer attention to detail and perfect game design is just...wow. Mind blowing. Its creepy and exciting, well done all around and pretty much the perfect castlevania game, in my flawless opinion. 

OmegaAce1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 OmegaAce1313
Member since 2005 • 1383 Posts
For me it's gotta be Super Castlevania IV. The music in the game really draws me in, and the variety in stages has me looking forward to what's next. Having stages that vary from a swamp to a room full of freaking treasure (treasure bats ftw) really made it an enjoyable experience for me. Being able to control the direction of the whip was something that gave me a sense of freedom that I have yet to experience again. This game, to me, is definitely numba wan.

Castlevania: Bloodlines was a close second for me. Eric Lecarde's spear made the game feel like something entirely new. Being able to pole vault into areas that were not accessible to John Morris added a lot to the replay value. Also having an unlockable difficulty that not only added enemies but new sub-bosses as well as an extened ending was freaking awesome. Ofcourse the music is also worth noting, but when it comes to Castlevania, you can never go wrong with the music.

As for Semi's choice, I can totally agree that the game was great. The difficulty also made beating each individual stage feel very rewarding. The game was hard to me, but it never really felt unfair.
G_gglypuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 G_gglypuff
Member since 2007 • 184 Posts

Nice to see this topic here. But once I read semi's post I got confused.

Well, the one game I can call a definitive Castlevania experience is Super Castlevania IV. They've really gotten the stages well done in that one. Music also fit it perfectly. Nothing much I can say, it was almost a perfect game.

Castlevania Order of Ecclesia comes really close, but while it's my favorite CV, I don't think it is a CV experience as much as Super Castlevania IV is. You don't have a Belmont, nor Alucard, and while there are references to the Belmonts, I don't think it's the same thing. All of that is helped by the fact that Order of Ecclesia is too grim for the Castlevania series. So it's not a title I'd recommend for a strict CV experience, but it's one I'd recommend as a definite 2D action platforming experience, specially if the targeted person digs this kind of setting.

But those I mentioned aren't the ones I'd recommend if someone wanted to get a feel of the series. The CV series isn't exactly about being the best it can be every time, so I'd recommend games such as Portrait of Ruin for the various modes or Symphony of the Night for the availability. I'd also recommend Castlevania Chronicles depending on the person.