venus577

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2 venus577
Member since 2003 • 1555 Posts

Well, I'm not too concerned with a possible romantic aspect. Early versions of Simon's Castlevania had him rescuing his girlfriend/wife. The series also has Dracula & Lisa, Maria's unrequited love for Alucard, Richter & Anette, and Leon & Sara among others. Love is no stranger to being the motivation for a Castlevania game, I would expect the movie to follow suit.

That being said, I am nervous about the inclusion of Vlad the Impaler. While Bloodlines acknowledged Bram Stoker's original novel, the inspiration for the novel hasn't shown up in a Castlevania plot yet. Him also calling it a "fresh take" is unnerving as well. It sounds like an excuse to take the movie into the "creative license" realm. I would also like to know where the mention of the Belmonts are? Castlevania is just as much about them as it is Dracula.

*Sigh* I'm concerned, but it's too early to be passing judgement. The movie hasn't even begun filming yet.

awbailey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 awbailey
Member since 2004 • 73 Posts
To tell you the truth I hope they don't make the Castlevania movie. Because every game movie I have ever seen has been bad, so bad it can become embarrassing to admit I even play the game to people who have only seen the movie and don't realize that the movie does not reflect the game(Doom and Mario Bros. are great examples). I really hope the Castlevania movie just drops off the radar and is never mentioned again.
RockmanSRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RockmanSRD
Member since 2004 • 5067 Posts

You both brought up some good points.  One of the things I really enjoyed with Lament of Innocence is the underlying love theme.  I think that is all enhanced by the themes of loss and revenge.  If it's used right, it makes for a great story.

I forgot about the Doom movie...  I saw that one in the theater.  I heard it was supposed to be better if you played Doom 3, which I haven't yet.  I just had a terrible time trying to take that movie seriously because they had that wrestler in it.  Maybe this shows us how casting can have a big influence on how a movie ends up.  I guess it also helps if the character they are acting out actually resembles something from the game.

As far as possible roles go...  Would you want any actual Castlevania character(s) portrayed in the movie?  If so, who would you want to play them?

Chuong19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Chuong19
Member since 2003 • 117 Posts
Hey everyone, good to be here.

I would probably have Christian Bale as Richter.  And Ashley Judd as Mrs. Dracula... and maybe a blond Edward Norton as her son Alucard?  Maybe the main british guy from Green Street Hooligans instead.  I think I see Liam Neeson doing a good dracula.  =)

Can't wait for Portrait of Ruin btw.  What I really want is a cinematic, epic CV for my wiiiiiiii ! :D
venus577

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 venus577
Christian Bale would make an awesome Richter. As for Edward Norton as Alucard, a little more iffy on that one. I've got no comment on Ashley Judd (Mrs. Dracula? Did you mean Lisa, Elizabetha, a new character?) or Liam Neeson (can't say I can recall any movie he's in). I would like to see Simon in the movie. Unfortunately, I can't think of a good actor to portray him.
RockmanSRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RockmanSRD

I don't know how official this is, someone easily could have made it in PhotoShop.... It could also be a rough preliminary design for something else.  I'm posting it to see what your thoughts are anyway.

Thanks to Syrinx61 for bringing this to my attention!

xBlitzerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#8 xBlitzerx
Member since 2004 • 881 Posts
I'm worried since it is another VG-->movie. But what can you do. Let's hope Anderson does well this time around.
venus577

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 venus577
Photoshop or not, I do like the poster. Very dark colors in keeping with the dark tale that Castlevanias tell. I also like the logo being similar to the one that was used in Lament & Curse. The simplicity in the design is striking and catches the viewer's attention, just like like a movie poster should. I'm not *too * concerned about Anderson directing. I liked Resident Evil, but then again, I've never played any of the games.
RockmanSRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RockmanSRD

I agree about the poster.  It definitely is eye-catching.

I like a lot of what Anderson has done, really.  With Mortal Kombat, he took a game that didn't really have a huge, deep story and made a good movie about it.  The second MK movie would have been a lot better if he'd helped out with it.

Judging by what we've heard about the movie so far, I expect it to be comparable to his Resident Evil movies.  Anderson took the RE games, which had pretty good stories, and basically threw those stories and characters out (at least at first).  He then made the first RE movie that had just about nothing to do with the game...  Except for one or two central components present in the game that help shape the movie.  The first RE movie deals with the T-Virus and the zombies it creates, which was in the game.  The second RE movie featured the Nemesis,Jill Valentine, and the Mercs--actual figures from the games.  Even so, those additions felt tacked-on to the movie, as if he had to write them in later.

Perhaps the common component between the CV games and the movie will start out as Dracula, or perhaps the Vampire Killer.  Perhaps we'll be lucky and he'll write in some Belmonts at the last minute on the second CV movie. :lol:

This is all purely speculation and rambling.  Either way, I'll still go and see the movie. :lol:

W8I8Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

#11 W8I8Z
Member since 2005 • 4200 Posts
Just make the movie good with a good story and great effects.... as long as they dont ruin it by making it cheezy I will be happy.  The last couple of comic or video game movies have been good so far. Lets see what happens.
Moop25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Moop25
Member since 2004 • 370 Posts
Oh man...I'm pumped for this movie. Hopefully we'll get to see some bosses, skeletons of course, and some asskicking in general. I can see where this movie would go wrong, but I'm gonna pray it doesn't.

Come On Leon Belmont! :D
Rolovis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Rolovis
Member since 2006 • 88 Posts
"Dracula Begins"? WTF!?!
Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts
That poster kinda remind me of SotN box art.
RockmanSRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RockmanSRD

There was an article posted on IGN a few days ago.  It sounds like Anderson's involvement with the movie, and the movie itself, is in question now. 

http://movies.ign.com/articles/776/776127p1.html

Is it best not to have a movie at all, especially if all we are stuck with is a movie that doesn't stay true to the series or please the fans?  I think I'd rather dream about a great movie than have a particularly bad one.  It'll be interesting to see if anyone else picks the film up and what their take on it is.  I think many will agree that we shall hope Uwe Boll isn't sharpening his fangs for this one.

venus577

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 venus577
I think many will agree that we shall hope Uwe Boll isn't sharpening his fangs for this one.RockmanSRD
Oh dear....please no!!
jacobs1282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 jacobs1282
Member since 2005 • 298 Posts

[QUOTE="RockmanSRD"]I think many will agree that we shall hope Uwe Boll isn't sharpening his fangs for this one.venus577
Oh dear....please no!!

I think we all share your same sentiments on that one and your icon appears too as well :P

VampHunterB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 VampHunterB
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

It was long overdue but finally they are making a Castlevania movie!!!! The only thing that turned my joy to sorrow, (not to mention rage) was to hear about the director. Paul Anderson couldn't direct a his way out of a paper bag. He always takes a story that in this case has been going strong for 20 years and is going to make it "his vision". knowing him he will probably rename the Belmonts to the VanHelsings and have them hunt werewolves in space. I can't wait to see the the final product, but I hope and prey that he sticks with the basic formula:A popular known Belmont + vampire killer + item crash + dracula - artistic B.S = one awesome movie.