dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#1 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15993 Posts

If you knew that you only had five minutes left to live, would you pray? Why or why not?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
No, that would be a betrayal of my principles. I know there is no God. I know there is no afterlife. I would embrace death, not try to seek something else beyond it.
Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Frattracide
Member since 2005 • 5395 Posts
I have been in situations where I thought I was going to die. I didn't pray or think about god. For some of those situations, the people who were with me were deeply religious and those people didn't pray or think about god either. You know why? because when the pucker factor is high, all you can think is: OH! ****!
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#4 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts
I have been in situations where I thought I was going to die. I didn't pray or think about god. For some of those situations, the people who were with me were deeply religious and those people didn't pray or think about god either. You know why? because when the pucker factor is high, all you can think is: OH! ****! Frattracide
+1
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
No.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

Nah, my motivation to pray would never be the fear of death, it would be the chance to communicate with a god.

Unfortunately though I know of no reason to think that a god exists or any method of prayer that doesn't involve presupposing a god's existence. In that way then it's impossible for me to genuinely pray, regardless of whether or not I'm going to die in five minutes.

michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
No, instead I would think about how I lived my life and coming to terms with the inevitable end to it. I would never think of religion, and would certainly not make any last-minute conversions to any, as even if it were to be done, I'm sure God wouldn't accept it anyway.
ragek1ll589

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ragek1ll589
Member since 2007 • 8650 Posts

No, instead I would think about how I lived my life and coming to terms with the inevitable end to it. I would never think of religion, and would certainly not make any last-minute conversions to any, as even if it were to be done, I'm sure God wouldn't accept it anyway.michaelP4

This pretty much sums up how I would respond. 

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
What good would it do? I'd rather try relaxing, focusing on what has made me content for living my life and telling those I love (who are around me, if they are around me) that I love them. Praying to an invisible deity in the sky won't bring solace to someone who doesn't have faith that being actually exists and can bestow mercy or grace on them. Praying before death is how the religious relax their minds... thinking about what made my life enjoyable is what I would do.
dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#11 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15993 Posts

No, instead I would think about how I lived my life and coming to terms with the inevitable end to it. I would never think of religion, and would certainly not make any last-minute conversions to any, as even if it were to be done, I'm sure God wouldn't accept it anyway.michaelP4
What good would it do? I'd rather try relaxing, focusing on what has made me content for living my life and telling those I love (who are around me, if they are around me) that I love them. Praying to an invisible deity in the sky won't bring solace to someone who doesn't have faith that being actually exists and can bestow mercy or grace on them. Praying before death is how the religious relax their minds... thinking about what made my life enjoyable is what I would do.foxhound_fox

Good answers. I suppose it would be cowardly if I caved in to Pascal's Wager. :P