Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

In professional terms, what are the boundaries for you? Examples below: 

Could you be an atheist evangelist?

Or sell essential oils, tarot cards and "earth crystals"?

Could you give out psychic advice for a quid per minute?

If you knew that nice accommodation, paycheck and seminary awaited, could you preach the word?

Would you ever be able to offer psychiatry or therapy?

What makes anyone broadcast the benefit of their own vision?

Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts
Meh, I wouldn't want to be too forceful in making people believe what I do. I see nothing wrong though, with provided information to the general forum at large, and allowing others to extract from that what they wanted to.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

What makes anyone broadcast the benefit of their own vision?

RationalAtheist

Well religions like Christianity have the excuse that their scriptures demand that they evangelise and spread the word. Furthermore with a sincere belief that peoples future destiny after their death depends on what they accept now you'd kind of be a douche to not evangelise and attempt converson.

In general though people tend to spread their beliefs because it yeilds some kind of gain. With a stronger community of faithful a religion benefits, with suckers listening to your bs a psychic hotline benefits etcetera etcetera. I'm not so sure that there's a corresponding benefit to preaching atheism though. Actually one of the great strengths of atheism is that people arrive at it independently as a result of their own critical thinking rather than by indoctrination. Perhaps that's why barely any atheists preach what they believe.

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RationalAtheist

In general though people tend to spread their beliefs because it yeilds some kind of gain. With a stronger community of faithful a religion benefits, with suckers listening to your bs a psychic hotline benefits etcetera etcetera. I'm not so sure that there's a corresponding benefit to preaching atheism though. Actually one of the great strengths of atheism is that people arrive at it independently as a result of their own critical thinking rather than by indoctrination. Perhaps that's why barely any atheists preach what they believe.

domatron23

There are some jobs to be had in atheism - as celebrants or officiants for events. I also reckon work could be got in education, or in writing about it, or in organising events and such-like.

I'm also not necessarily excluding other mind-changing professions, such as lecturers, poets, musicians, teachers, artists, the media or even salespeople from my question, since all these callings have some degree of personal expression and message contained within them.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#5 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

I usually only speak in response to someone else broaching the topic.  People who are unsolicitedly told they are wrong are generally not terribly receptive. :P 

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#6 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts
I do not hold enough conviction in my own beliefs to speak to others about them, and never will. Even if I did, I still wouldn't talk to people about them as I believe it's one's own duty to determine their own path in life.
Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RationalAtheist

Perhaps I didn't get the question right... I'm not talking specifically about religion.

There are many jobs people do where changing someone else's mind is part of the job function.

Here are some more examples: Lawyer, politician, environmental campaigner, research scientist...

Any takers? 

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#9 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Perhaps I didn't get the question right... I'm not talking specifically about religion.

There are many jobs people do where changing someone else's mind is part of the job function.

Here are some more examples: Lawyer, politician, environmental campaigner, research scientist...

Any takers? 

RationalAtheist

Well, it kinda depends.  If the mind-changing happens through the acceptance of a rigorously prepared argument based on facts and such like, then I probably would.  If the mind-changing happens by giving impassioned speeches like a politician, though, then no.  My confidence in my ability to change someone's mind is directly proportional to the extent to which my position can be backed up by solid evidence; I would not make a very good snake-oil salesman at all. :P

I've seen some call me a good debater.  I don't think I would agree with that; I just don't enter into arguments that I don't think I can win, and I tend to back out when I feel that the evidence is against me.

Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

I've seen some call me a good debater. I don't think I would agree with that; I just don't enter into arguments that I don't think I can win, and I tend to back out when I feel that the evidence is against me.

GabuEx
Ah don't worry, most of the debaters on OT do that, the only difference is, is that most of them don't admit to doing that.
dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#11 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15991 Posts
I suppose Richard Dawkins is somewhat of an atheistic evangelist. Seems like it'd be fun to film documentaries. If I was more educated, I'd consider it. I wouldn't want a group of followers or a ministry, though.
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#12 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts
[QUOTE="RationalAtheist"]

Any takers?

GabuEx

Well, it kinda depends. If the mind-changing happens through the acceptance of a rigorously prepared argument based on facts and such like, then I probably would. If the mind-changing happens by giving impassioned speeches like a politician, though, then no. My confidence in my ability to change someone's mind is directly proportional to the extent to which my position can be backed up by solid evidence; I would not make a very good snake-oil salesman at all. :P

I've seen some call me a good debater. I don't think I would agree with that; I just don't enter into arguments that I don't think I can win, and I tend to back out when I feel that the evidence is against me.

Are you kidding? You're one of the better debaters on these forums alongside Pianist. Evidence is not the only necessity essential to being a good debater, being able to employ sound logic plays a huge part too.

woonsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 woonsa
Member since 2008 • 6322 Posts
I won't really bother to force other to believe in what I believe, just as much as I don't want to be bothered in being forced to believe in what others believe.