Would Christianity exist if the world was nearly perfect?

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts

This semester I read a book called Herland, which was based on the idea that three guys discovered a utopia inhabited only by women.  These women were very pagan in there views, and, if anyway, worshipped nature.

One thing they did not believe in was an afterlife.  Life for them was already perfect.  There was no disease, war, starvation, or any problems at all.  Even though they were relatively primitive, they were able to develop remedies to all their problems.

So this got me thinking, would Christianity, a religion that strongly emphasizes the afterlife, even exist if the world was perfect?  It has me hypothosizing that if the world was a utopia, there would be nearly no religions existing today.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

It doesn't matter how good things might be, people still die. When you don't know how something happens God tends to fill the gap and death and the beginning of the universe are two things which we know very little of. I think religion would still pervade in a utopia, the human mind is cognitively biased towards theistic belief.

By the way how did this colony reproduce with only women?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts

Hmm, to me christianity empaphises that world is sinful, and we must be redeemed by God, which is the main tenent. So the only way I don't see christianity being in this perfect world, is if it were a "sinless" world. So yes, if the world were perfect (thus being sinless in the process) there would be no need for the redemption in the first place.

And to be honest, if the world was one big utopia, we would all be united by a single beleif. What would that be?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

I don't think so. I think Christianity was ultimately born out of the world's imperfections.

By the way domatron, the women reproduced via parthenogenesis.

STWELCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 STWELCH
Member since 2005 • 4805 Posts

You still have the existential problems of humanity; look at the developed world, we conquer disease, and mental health problems sky rocket.

Man is on a continuous search for meaning; take care of external factors (Like the book does) and you still have the questions intrinsic to mankind.

tzar3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tzar3
Member since 2006 • 12393 Posts
Mankind will always crave for more, in this case an afterlife wouldn't sound so bad for some people.
7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 7guns
Member since 2006 • 1449 Posts

Perfection is not achievable by us nor is there an absolute definition of perfection in relation to human minds. Also we are not the kind of being who can ever be content with anything and everything. Our wants are unlimited. So I believe a state of perfection is not achievable. My take on this is that we will always find ways to compete with each other and work to make life even better for each of us. Religion is one of those things that fills the gap and can give us hope, power, unity, control, etc when needed.

God and humans are made for each other.  

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#8 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15991 Posts
Christianity would be nonexistant if the world was nearly perfect. Eliminating all the other religions from the equation would make it even closer to reaching perfection.
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts

It doesn't matter how good things might be, people still die. When you don't know how something happens God tends to fill the gap and death and the beginning of the universe are two things which we know very little of. I think religion would still pervade in a utopia, the human mind is cognitively biased towards theistic belief.domatron23

It is true that people still die.  However, they lived in a utopia.  They were already in Heaven.  One of the themes of Christianity is that you will live in a utopia once you die if you lived a good life.  This incentive was entirely removed in this society, and couldn't imagine any life better.

By the way how did this colony reproduce with only women?

domatron23
Once they reached age 25, they would suddenly become pregnant.  However, the women could suppress this phenomenon if they kept themseves distracted enough.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#10 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
Yes it would in some form IMO.  A large percentage of the world's population needs/wants there to be something more to life than just life.
Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

I guess it probably wouldn't.

but seeing as this quasi-utopia is only nearly perfect, then you'd expect a small amout of theistic belief.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
I think it probably would, although it wouldn't be as popular.
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 danwallacefan
Member since 2008 • 2413 Posts

This semester I read a book called Herland, which was based on the idea that three guys discovered a utopia inhabited only by women. These women were very pagan in there views, and, if anyway, worshipped nature.

One thing they did not believe in was an afterlife. Life for them was already perfect. There was no disease, war, starvation, or any problems at all. Even though they were relatively primitive, they were able to develop remedies to all their problems.

So this got me thinking, would Christianity, a religion that strongly emphasizes the afterlife, even exist if the world was perfect? It has me hypothosizing that if the world was a utopia, there would be nearly no religions existing today.

helium_flash
You mean if there was no sin? if there was no sin in the world I would say probably not. There would be no need for God to send his son as a sacrifice.