Why is President Obama apologising for "that Muslim video"?

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

Is it just me or, by publicly apologizing for a video he had nothing to do with, has President Obama, in a way, justified the violent protests regarding "that anti Muslim video"? Surely responding in such a mannner gives it some credence it shouldn't get right?

The book of Mormon's been running for ages yet all protests have been peaceful and quiet. No big media coverage, no apology... nothing.

I'm not saying violent protest is right however it obviously works as religion is ridiculed every day but the President only makes a speech when it's violent!

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
It is a movement I have come to term the PCS, or "Political Correctness Squad". For some reason, being critical of a faith that has followers that threaten violence at every opportunity to be "offended", is somehow a problem, that should be stopped... according to members of the PCS. It is why anti-blasphemy laws have been considered. It is why Obama apologized. It is why our rights and freedoms as free citizens of Western Civilization are under threat from the authoritarian theocracy of political Islam. Obama apologized because that is what his aides told him to do. Had I been president, I would have sent in a discretionary SEAL team and arrested every single person involved in the killings of American citizens and brought them back for trial. These violent, hysterical extremists need to be made an example of, to show the rest of the world that we believe people are allowed to say whatever they want unless it threatens the life, livelihood or property of another. If all we do is apologize for critical indiscretions, then religious fundamentalism/extremism will have won. There is no right to be "safe from offense". Also, welcome to the union.
Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

Well said... and thank you :)

michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
In a way, it does legitimise it. The only apology that should be made is to the families and friends of the American people who were killed in that horrible attack - and a vow to bring those responsible to justice.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

because in the US, apparently millions of people think it's ok to believe in batsh!t insane ideals just because of how many people share them. Freedom of speech, not freedom from criticism

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

I'm worried that this sort of response erodes our freedom of speech. A UK Channel 4 documentary called "Islam: The Untold Story" was broadcast before time of the infamous dodgy video clip trailer that caused such an uproar. The documentary was consequently pulled from repeat transmission just after those shocking events supposedly in response to the Youtube video, while getting over 1000 complaints about it and Tom Holland (the program creator) getting threatening messages.

The documentary is about the rise of Islam following Arabic conquest rather than preceding it. Where was the insult - aside from disagreeing with Islamic scholasticism in preference to historical evidence? It was critical of the evidence for early Islamic belief, so I guess that was insulting to those who place faith only in a book.

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm8xKh8eQqU Thankfully it's gone up on YouTube now.)

Â