AlternatingCaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 AlternatingCaps
Member since 2007 • 1714 Posts

It just seems a bit silly to me that a diety whose existence or nonexistence can't be 100% confirmed gets an exception to a gramatical rule. Same goes for 'He,' 'His,' etc.

Another example is the usage of the phrase "the Christian God," which should actually be "the Christian god," just like someone would say "Sean's dad." Of course, when God is used as a name, it's different, again, just like one might say "Dad told me..."

And before anyone says it, I did Google it. Couldn't find a good answer.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
Because it shows importance, I suppose.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#3 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
With Llama here, to show importance.  I still often do it.  Maybe I'll stop today.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts
I beleive the caps are to make the reader recognize that this isn't just one of many gods or that he is a regular person, but to show that he is God. Also respect.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
I've always thought that a capital "G" denoted a monotheistic God as opposed to a plurality of gods. I never capitalize him or he though.
Avatar image for AlternatingCaps
AlternatingCaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AlternatingCaps
Member since 2007 • 1714 Posts

I beleive the caps are to make the reader recognize that this isn't just one of many gods or that he is a regular person, but to show that he is God. Also respect.123625

Well, one could just used a more original name (Jahova is it?) instead of the generic "God" to solve the problem of many gods. I suppose capitalization allows the use of sentences involving a man and God without the problem of ambiguity though (as in Tim and John received equal pay until he received his raise vs. Tim and God received equal pay until He received His raise).

So, to me anyway, it seems like it's just sort of a "God is the most important thing in the universe and therefore deserves emphasis when referenced, but He's above your earthly grammatical rules," thing. Seems kinda arbitrary, but w/e.

Also, interesting is the usage of "the Truth" by CWU members. Same reason I suppose.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts

[QUOTE="123625"]I beleive the caps are to make the reader recognize that this isn't just one of many gods or that he is a regular person, but to show that he is God. Also respect.AlternatingCaps

Well, one could just used a more original name (Jahova is it?) instead of the generic "God" to solve the problem of many gods. I suppose capitalization allows the use of sentences involving a man and God without the problem of ambiguity though (as in Tim and John received equal pay until he received his raise vs. Tim and God received equal pay until He received His raise).

So, to me anyway, it seems like it's just sort of a "God is the most important thing in the universe and therefore deserves emphasis when referenced, but He's above your earthly grammatical rules," thing. Seems kinda arbitrary, but w/e.

Also, interesting is the usage of "the Truth" by CWU members. Same reason I suppose.

Well technically his original name is either Elohim or Yahweh. And yeah thats probably the reason we capatalize. I don't think God minds, but its also to show respect and acknowledge who he is. At least to me. Some Jews on the net I've noticed don't use the 'o' in God, out of respect as well.

Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Sitri_
Member since 2008 • 731 Posts
religio-centricity. 
aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts
I guess it denotes importance, and implies that there only is one "God".
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
I capitalize "God" or "He" or "Him" or any other term that could possibly relate to Him to be distinct (i.e. the Creator); the same goes for Jesus. However, whenever I write "gods", God Himself is also included in addition to any other incarnation He could exist in.
Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

Well when you write 'God' you surely have a definition of that word, and in that definition I presume you would have God as being very significant.

So if you are merely entertaining the hypothesis by verbalising it, then you are regarding it by the definition of that hypothesis. So really, it doesn't matter whether he exists or doesn't, because the idea of god still remains, and that is what you hope to verbalise when you write his name.

If that makes any sense at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
Here's an interesting article pertaining to this subject.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts
The weird is why it is a "He" and not a "She". I'm not suggesting it should be a "She" but Christianism is supposed to be in favour of both genders. I don't really know what to suppose (other that the fact that we still live in a "men's" society) but I usually refer to god with "it" and not in capitals. Besides, god is not supposed to have a gender am I wrong? The capital thing is mainly to shopw significance. The same goes with ordinary names such as George, which come from ordinary words and are capitalized to show significance of the person over the profession (in the case of George which comes from the greek word "georgos" = farmer in greek) Hope I have enlightened the... audience lol
STWELCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 STWELCH
Member since 2005 • 4805 Posts

The weird is why it is a "He" and not a "She". I'm not suggesting it should be a "She" but Christianism is supposed to be in favour of both genders. I don't really know what to suppose (other that the fact that we still live in a "men's" society) but I usually refer to god with "it" and not in capitals. Besides, god is not supposed to have a gender am I wrong? The capital thing is mainly to shopw significance. The same goes with ordinary names such as George, which come from ordinary words and are capitalized to show significance of the person over the profession (in the case of George which comes from the greek word "georgos" = farmer in greek) Hope I have enlightened the... audience lolTeenaged

Nearly every major Christian denomination believes God is something that transcends gender; the reason we see it in the Bible as being a masculine figure is due to their patriarchal culture of the time; we still use it due to its common usage, but I hope that no one truly believe's that God is something that can be classified by human gender.