deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
Did it all come from nothing? How does that make sense? I can't figure this out. Any logical answers or references to books would greatly be appreciated.
Mishmash94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Mishmash94
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Maybe the stuff that led to the big bang just sat around for a while and then just so happened to mingle and hence cause the big bang.

There may be a low chance of that happening but it is fallacious to argue that the low probability necessarily entails that the above is wrong.

Avatar image for Jukemdrawles089
Jukemdrawles089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jukemdrawles089
Member since 2011 • 34 Posts

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hbtox3q5O1

Science surely CAN'T explain this. God works through people, and I believe I was sent by God. Notice my level, I joined this site about 2 days ago solely for video games, but I stumbled across this post. Find truth, because the life after this one is eternal.

Avatar image for Jukemdrawles089
Jukemdrawles089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jukemdrawles089
Member since 2011 • 34 Posts

btw my link doesn't work, just look up "Near Death Experience - Blind woman SEES while out of body.

Peace.

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hbtox3q5O1

Science surely CAN'T explain this. God works through people, and I believe I was sent by God. Notice my level, I joined this site about 2 days ago solely for video games, but I stumbled across this post. Find truth, because the life after this one is eternal.

Jukemdrawles089

I believe I was sent by the atheists... If you were sent by God, wouldn't God have made you get the link right? 

btw my link doesn't work, just look up "Near Death Experience - Blind woman SEES while out of body.

Peace.

Jukemdrawles089

God moves in mysterious ways eh?

Why do you think modern scientific medical care has replaced the faith healing of the previous centuries? 

Welome to the union - please take full advantage in this life, since there are no guarantees of union browsing here when you're dead.

Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Frattracide
Member since 2005 • 5395 Posts
Obviously god got his account on you tube DMCA'd >_> Welcome to the union. Be sure to check out the debate threads :D
12thArcane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 12thArcane
Member since 2011 • 102 Posts

Did it all come from nothing? How does that make sense? I can't figure this out. Any logical answers or references to books would greatly be appreciated.Genetic_Code

The Big Bang theory satisfies most scientific studies about the "early universe", however there is not a single theory that explains how the universe may had behaved in earlier times (much closer to its origin)...

There are several hypothetical and highly speculative theories that try to explain "how it was like at the very beginning", I don't like the crazy math scientists use in these theories, and they certainly are not very promising yet, although it can be said that they are already more reliable in terms of study than the creationist model...

You can read about it in some published articles by Harvard, etc, just google it...

I doubt someone with logic enough would think that "everything comes from nothing", it just has not been studied enough to give a proper rational conclusion... Perhaps I'm wrong, I'm just giving you my agnostic point of view...

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#8 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

There will never be an answer to this, man is as clueless about it now as he has 2000 years ago so you can see theres just nothing that can be done about it.

Past cannot possibly be infinite and something cant just come out of nothing right? There is definitely something out there in the universe that is completely beyond our comprehension. Is that thing a god similar to what the religions portray? I seriously doubt that but I do believe there is something "out there". But just because something might be there obviously doesnt mean that I get all trigger happy and believe that thing loves me and will give me a second life. :lol:

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

Did it all come from nothing?Genetic_Code

I've never actually met a single atheist that believes that happened. Theists love to paint us with this belief though as if it's the only option outside of God.

It's kinda similar to the abiogenesis thing really. Theists will say that the only two options are God creating life or modern cells spontaneously generating. It's a silly false dichotomy that we don't need to allow.

The most honest answer is to just say that you don't know where energy and matter came from. Here are a few tidbits of information that might be relevant to the question though.

-The big bang theory doesn't state that the universe materialized from nothing. It states that the universe was condensed into a singularity and then expanded.

-Mass energy equivalence (E=Mc2) states that matter is decomposible to energy and that energy can coalesce into matter.

-The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed

-Time, as described in Einsteinien relativity, is dependent on various physical factors such as space, velocity etc. Time might not have behaved quite as we expect in a singularity.

Physics is way over my head so it could be that I'm misusing some of scientific principals that I just mentioned. All in all though these preponderances lead me to believe that the genesis of the universe is way more interesting than the two options of "it came from nothing" or "God did it".

Past cannot possibly be infinite and something cant just come out of nothing right?

I seriously doubt that but I do believe there is something "out there".

Gambler_3

I'm going to get back to this in a moment. What has convinced you that the past cannot be infinite?

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#10 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

Because if it was then we wouldnt be here right now. We would have already vanished in that infinite past.

I am just talking from an average humans perspective, we just cant fathom anything that is infinite, it just betrays what we normally consider as common sense and logic.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RationalAtheist

If we're picking on "absolutes", I'd have to state my issues over "nothing" too...

From what I understand, "nothing" does not exist. Every time we try and look for nothing, something is always there instead. I think this is one more absolute that theists throw that only serves to confuse, rather than explain things.

If time is dependent on space and acceleration, how can it be infinite?

Hawkins has explained how universal singularity conditions can occur within conventional astro-physics in his latest page-turner. 

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 domatron23

Because if it was then we wouldnt be here right now. We would have already vanished in that infinite past.Gambler_3

An infinite past doesn't forbid there being present moments, only a first moment. Likewise an infinite future only forbids a final moment.

infinite past

This picture should illustrate it nicely. The past and the future both go out of the border of the picture and neverendingly in their respective directions. Inside the border though we can see the present moment and compare it sensibly to the confines of our perspective. Moreover you can add successive present moments to the timeline without altering the fact that the past stretches back forever out of the picture.

If that doesn't really answer your concern then would you mind clarifying it a little for me.

I am just talking from an average humans perspective, we just cant fathom anything that is infinite, it just betrays what we normally consider as common sense and logic.

Gambler_3

Our normal experience deals with finite things so the infinite certainly is bizarre. It does violate common sense in that way but in all my years of thinking about infinity and the problems involved with it I've never found that it violates logic.

Do think about it a little more and don't let a bad philosophical argument lead you to believe anything unwarranted.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 domatron23

RationalAtheist

Dunno, but it sure does throw a wrench in the works when you try to think about energy and matter coming into existence from a prior state. That's the point, the explanation isn't as simple the question allows. Asking where energy and matter came from might be like asking why the people in China don't fall off the bottom of the earth. It's based on a misconception that we make out of ignorance and an overly simplistic view of things.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
@domatron23:

I actually do believe that something came from nothing. That's the only logical conclusion I can come up with. The alternative is that something has always existed, which I can't accept, because it seems only logically permissible that things that exist originate at some point which is why I don't accept God as the first cause as being a satisfactory answer. However, science at times can require more imagination that what seems to be logic.

There is no satisfiable conclusion to this answer. I think perhaps scientists might find some sort of way in which matter and energy could be self-created, but I don't know if this will ever come to fruition.

Another question that just sprung to mind: does the expanding universe gain matter by subtracting energy?

It's nice to see you again dom (and the rest of you all as well).
Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Frattracide
Member since 2005 • 5395 Posts
Did it all come from nothing? How does that make sense? I can't figure this out. Any logical answers or references to books would greatly be appreciated.Genetic_Code
This video dosen't really answer your question, but it does address some of your underlying concerns and raises some good points about the limitations of intuitive logic, so I hope you will watch it.
12thArcane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 12thArcane
Member since 2011 • 102 Posts

[QUOTE="Genetic_Code"]Did it all come from nothing? How does that make sense? I can't figure this out. Any logical answers or references to books would greatly be appreciated.Frattracide
This video dosen't really answer your question, but it does address some of your underlying concerns and raises some good points about the limitations of intuitive logic, so I hope you will watch it.

Cool vid... In the end it just stands the obvious though... And the final message is to just enjoy the ride...

When the equations break down we call it "singularity"... It's the way it is until we find the way to explain it...

Another question that just sprung to mind: does the expanding universe gain matter by subtracting energy? Genetic_Code

As domatron quoted, Einstein's equation says energy and matter are two forms of the same thing, you have to be more clear about what you mean with "subtracting energy". energy can't be destroyed, only transformed...

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RationalAtheist
[QUOTE="RationalAtheist"]

domatron23

Dunno, but it sure does throw a wrench in the works when you try to think about energy and matter coming into existence from a prior state. That's the point, the explanation isn't as simple the question allows. Asking where energy and matter came from might be like asking why the people in China don't fall off the bottom of the earth. It's based on a misconception that we make out of ignorance and an overly simplistic view of things.

I agree about that. But time (as I know it) exists within space. So when the universe began, space-time also started. Any prior state to the beginning of universal time might not be "time" as I know it, so might not represent a tangible regression, or even perpetutual temporal state. What I'm saying is; in the case of our universal origins, asking about what happened before them (or promoting infinate temporal regression with fancy diagrams) disregards the nature of time itself. To my mind that is just as futile as asking where energy and matter come from.

That's not to say I'm too comfortable with the big bang theory.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 domatron23

I actually do believe that something came from nothing.Genetic_Code

@_@

That's the only logical conclusion I can come up with. The alternative is that something has always existed, which I can't accept, because it seems only logically permissible that things that exist originate at some pointGenetic_Code

We're unavoidably heading into the territory of the kalam cosmological argument here. You say that everything that exists begins to do so at some point, prior to which it did not exist. If we take that as true then yeah, something like energy or matter cannot have existed forever.

But really now, if you extrapolate that back to a point where you have something coming from nothing doesn't that indicate that you ought to re-examine your starting premise. Surely something beginning to exist ex nihilo is way more logically impermissable than your premise being wrong or poorly stated?

Now the statement "things that exist originate at some point" is pretty hard to argue with. It's true of everything that I can observe in front of me right now. Nevertheless there are certain considerations that we must take into account in order to refine the statement and make it more accurate and less likely to lead us to absurd conclusions.

So, things that exist originate at some point but have you noticed that the prior states from which they originate are always, without exception material states? The prior states always have something in them which is effected and then changed into the new thing. As an example my laptop originated at some point, but it didn't pop into being ex nihilo. It originated as the result of pre-existing materials (plastic, circuitry etc) being organized into a computer. Every process of "coming into being" happens this way and it's convenient to name this process with the fancy latin title "ex materia".

Lets refine the statement with that consideration in mind. "Things that exist originate ex materia at some point". It's still true of everything that I can observe while I write this and it avoids that preposterous notion of something coming into existence ex nihilo.

So, things that exist originate ex materia at some point but have you noticed that this isn't really true of energy? Energy both exists and is perfectly conserved such that the exact same amount of it exists in present, prior and future states. It never seems to "originate" per se, it's just always there in one form or another. This goes back to the first law of thermodynamics that I mentioned in my first post. That law pretty much makes it impossible to say that there was a prior state where energy did not exist. In other words energy never originated.

The statement then changes to "excepting energy, things that exist originate ex materia at some point". Hopefully that is a logically permissable statement for you and will allow you to think of this issue in a different way. From what I can tell it implies that energy preceded the universe eternally, which is more or less what mishmash94 said in the first response.

My other contribution is the following question:

Coming into being occurs across a linear process of time. Linear processes of time occur relative to something undergoing change. Time and "stuff changing" seem to be the very same thing. How then, does it make sense to ask how stuff began to exist prior to which there was no stuff?

which is why I don't accept God as the first cause as being a satisfactory answer. However, science at times can require more imagination that what seems to be logic.

There is no satisfiable conclusion to this answer. I think perhaps scientists might find some sort of way in which matter and energy could be self-created, but I don't know if this will ever come to fruition.Genetic_Code

Self creation seems to be logically impossible. If something is created then it didn't exist prior to its creation. If something creates then it did exist prior to whatever it created. So if something creates itself then it both exists and doesn't exist prior to its creation. That's as good an indication as any that self-creation didn't happen.

Another question that just sprung to mind: does the expanding universe gain matter by subtracting energy?Genetic_Code

The universe doesn't expand by having new matter created around the borders, like a snowball might. The matter is all there it's just moving apart from itself. When matter is created from energy, the energy isn't subtracted, any more than water is subtracted when you freeze it. It simply transforms into a different state.

It's nice to see you again dom (and the rest of you all as well).Genetic_Code

Yeah, you too G_C thanks for the interesting topic.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 domatron23

time (as I know it) exists within space. So when the universe began, space-time also started. Any prior state to the beginning of universal time might not be "time" as I know it, so might not represent a tangible regression, or even perpetutual temporal state. What I'm saying is; in the case of our universal origins, asking about what happened before them (or promoting infinate temporal regression with fancy diagrams) disregards the nature of time itself. To my mind that is just as futile as asking where energy and matter come from.RationalAtheist

I do share that concern, yes. I've learnt the bare basics of relativity but I just have no idea how it applies to the conditions of the early universe. The infinite past diagram that I posted does indeed disregard the nature of time. If I were to make it accurate to my knowledge I would extend the timeline backwards 14 odd billion years and then stick a great big question mark at the end of it.

Now if Gambler had told me that the past cannot be infinite because of his concerns about the nature of Einsteinien time then I wouldn't have posted the picture that I did. The answer that he gave me was more reminiscent of the arguments from VenomFangX or William Lane Craig or danwallacefan, that an infinite linear past is impossible because we never would have reached the present moment. It's purely a logical objection and didn't require a scientifically accurate response.

Anyway, I do highly favour the infinite past hypothesis as a valid idea. Not certain of it's soundness though, based on what you've mentioned.

That's not to say I'm too comfortable with the big bang theory.RationalAtheist

I'm not as comfortable with it as I am with evolution or heliocentricity but it seems to be the best explanation as of yet.

One thing that makes me chuckle is that the big bang theory seems like a really, absurdly, extreme over-extrapolation of cosmic expansion. Things move apart in the universe now and they were surely closer together in the past but damn, they've extrapolated that so far back that they have everything in the universe squished together into the size of pin-head.

It seems extreme but I'm assured that the constant that they assume to make that extrapolation are very, very strong. Also, I'm a total novice with the subject material so my concern seems likely to be a misinformed one.