• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KOTORkicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 KOTORkicker
Member since 2007 • 4595 Posts

I recently had a run-in with that most notorious of TCWU evangelists, blackregiment. It would seem that GS themselves support the views of TCWU and are willing let their spamming of OT main carry on heedless.

What do the other members of TAU think?

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

They're not really a "problem" per se and I do enjoy their threads. Nevertheless I agree that blackregiment is a little zealous with what he does, you should check out the stuff he posts on the union. Anyways Crushmasters topics on OT do actually promote discussion and the mods are in fact looking out on them. One of his recent ones got locked after the first post.

I welcome the diversity (and unintentional hilarity) that the CWU brings to gamespot. Say what were you and black discussing?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
I wouldn't consider it spamming or against the Terms of Use, although I do find their method of discussion quite irritating to be honest. I don't think that GameSpot is at all endorsing or condemning their views as far as the Terms of Use are concerned.
Junkie_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Junkie_man
Member since 2008 • 1219 Posts
I think when they are obviously creating threads in order to convert OT, then the mods should step in. If you want a religious debate, fine, but don't use it as an excuse to try and convert me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5a79221380856

I think when they are obviously creating threads in order to convert OT, then the mods should step in. If you want a religious debate, fine, but don't use it as an excuse to try and convert me.Junkie_man

The problem with that is that there are threads that try to convert people to atheism.

I personally wished that the more adamant users of the union would visit other threads. It seems like the only time they post is in a thread started by one of their members and it's the same member each time. I don't think there's anything wrong but it's as if their discussion has become a routine. It isn't flexible and I like that. But to each his own.

tzar3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 tzar3
Member since 2006 • 12393 Posts
I dont like them.
7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 7guns
Member since 2006 • 1449 Posts
They have a thread named "Evangelism HQ"!!! I think it's very blatant. And it seems quite clear that off topic is their hunting ground.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5a79221380856

They have a thread named "Evangelism HQ"!!! I think it's very blatant. And it seems quite clear that off topic is their hunting ground.7guns

They haven't used that thread in almost a month though. As I said before, I wish they would mix with the rest of the religious discussion and have their input. For example, a thread about dating could use some Christian input since a lot of people don't take that into consideration. Given the massive rate Off-Topic has, it would be impossible for them to be effective, but they would be putting out the word.

Junkie_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Junkie_man

[QUOTE="Junkie_man"]I think when they are obviously creating threads in order to convert OT, then the mods should step in. If you want a religious debate, fine, but don't use it as an excuse to try and convert me.Genetic_Code

The problem with that is that there are threads that try to convert people to atheism.

I personally wished that the more adamant users of the union would visit other threads. It seems like the only time they post is in a thread started by one of their members and it's the same member each time. I don't think there's anything wrong but it's as if their discussion has become a routine. It isn't flexible and I like that. But to each his own.

I think they should get modded too.

KOTORkicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KOTORkicker

I think when they are obviously creating threads in order to convert OT, then the mods should step in. If you want a religious debate, fine, but don't use it as an excuse to try and convert me.Junkie_man

Exactly my point.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5a79221380856

Junkie_man

Why? You don't have to visit their thread if you don't like. Can you show me somewhere in the Terms of Use where they are doing something wrong?

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#14 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
I find him and one other to be terribly insufferable, but have several friends on that board. I lurk on there once a week or so.
Junkie_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Junkie_man
[QUOTE="Junkie_man"]

Genetic_Code

Why? You don't have to visit their thread if you don't like. Can you show me somewhere in the Terms of Use where they are doing something wrong?

I don't mind people having religious debates at all, but when the purpose is obviously tp convert people, then that is not acceptable. Exchange views and debate the validity of arguments all you want, that can easily be achieved without anyone trying to convert anybody.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5a79221380856

I don't mind people having religious debates at all, but when the purpose is obviously tp convert people, then that is not acceptable. Exchange views and debate the validity of arguments all you want, that can easily be achieved without anyone trying to convert anybody.

Junkie_man

I agree to the extent that I think it's ineffective to try to convert someone on GameSpot, but generally a moderation requires a violation of the Terms of Use. I personally don't mind their conversion attempts but it turns off many people.

KOTORkicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KOTORkicker
[QUOTE="Junkie_man"]

Genetic_Code

I agree to the extent that I think it's ineffective to try to convert someone on GameSpot, but generally a moderation requires a violation of the Terms of Use. I personally don't mind their conversion attempts but it turns off many people.

Such as myself. I think the ToU should be revised to disallow this. It is despicable.

SimpJee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SimpJee
Member since 2002 • 18309 Posts
[QUOTE="Junkie_man"]

Genetic_Code

It's called soliciting and it's terribly annoying.

felixlynch777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 felixlynch777
Member since 2008 • 1787 Posts
[QUOTE="Genetic_Code"][QUOTE="Junkie_man"]

SimpJee

Not to mention disruptive posting. BR's endless bible verses and Crushmaster's way of the master 'Do you consider yourself a good person'. In one thread (me and btaylor wore the poor guy down so much) Crushmaster said the "Do you consider yourself a good person' line of questions for around 8 different people.

felixlynch777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 felixlynch777
[QUOTE="Genetic_Code"][QUOTE="Junkie_man"]

KOTORkicker

Such as myself. I think the ToU should be revised to disallow this. It is despicable.

They could just say they're not converting. Too many loopholes for this to work.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#21 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
[QUOTE="SimpJee"][QUOTE="Genetic_Code"][QUOTE="Junkie_man"]

felixlynch777

Not to mention disruptive posting. BR's endless bible verses and Crushmaster's way of the master 'Do you consider yourself a good person'. In one thread (me and btaylor wore the poor guy down so much) Crushmaster said the "Do you consider yourself a good person' line of questions for around 8 different people.

LOL, you missed a killer one Sunday night I think, he went on for hours quoting like 3 different verses about Homosexuality, and a whole mob was asking him ?'s and it was just like he was copying and pasting the same verses. I just laughed and gave up.

tzar3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tzar3
Member since 2006 • 12393 Posts
Arguing with those guys is pointless if you ask me, their entire lives and way of thinking is so fixated on the bible they probably dont care what people tell them because in the end God's word is what matters to them. Makes me wonder if they even love or play games at all. They are probably just here to convert people to their religion but thats taking things to far lol. I've seen religion threads but not like this. I remember the thread that Crushmaster made "Instruction for Life" and I thought to myself "Instructions? What am I a robot?" Those guys are hilarious and sad at the fact that they cant think outside the bible and understand things in life and form their own damn opinion without refering to their scripts and such.
7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 7guns

Even if you are winning against those guys I think it's terribly frustrating to go through all those long and repeating verses.:x

And honestly, I don't even know how to start an argument when I see something like this:

Well...

NOTE: It's just an example and is not taken from TCWU.

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts

Never? :o You don't like us evangelizing in OT? Wow. :P

Anyway, I might point out that many atheists and agnostics have tried to convert me, so it seems slightly hypocritical.

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lansdowne5

Even if you are winning against those guys I think it's terribly frustrating to go through all those long and repeating verses.:x

And honestly, I don't even know how to start an argument when I see something like this:

Well...

7guns

Hey, I really enjoyed that discussion. But if you don't like it, why not just ignore the posts?

7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 7guns
[QUOTE="7guns"]

Well...

Lansdowne5

Hey, I really enjoyed that discussion. But if you don't like it, why not just ignore the posts?

I couldn't, because I enjoyed it too.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5a79221380856

Anyway, I might point out that many atheists and agnostics have tried to convert me, so it seems slightly hypocritical.

Lansdowne5

Atheistic conversion is as much of a joke as the First Church of Atheism. It is the tip of the hypocrisy iceberg.

felixlynch777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 felixlynch777
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

Genetic_Code

Atheistic conversion is as much of a joke as the First Church of Atheism. It is the tip of the hypocrisy iceberg.

But there is no union soley made in order to convert people, unlike TCWU.

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lansdowne5

felixlynch777

What? The TCWU is not made solely in order to convert people. As Christians we are told to witness to people who have not met Christ yet, as the name suggests. However, Crushmaster clearly tells us what the purpose of the union is - "The basic purpose of this Union is a place for Christians to get away; away from all the distractions and evil things of this world. A place to just talk with other Christians; be it about writing, politics, movies, music...etc., etc. A place of peace and serenity."

I don't hear anything about converting in there, do you? :)

7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 7guns
[QUOTE="felixlynch777"]

Lansdowne5

What? The TCWU is not made solely in order to convert people. As Christians we are told to witness to people who have not met Christ yet, as the name suggests. However, Crushmaster clearly tells us what the purpose of the union is - "The basic purpose of this Union is a place for Christians to get away; away from all the distractions and evil things of this world. A place to just talk with other Christians; be it about writing, politics, movies, music...etc., etc. A place of peace and serenity."

Let me ask you this first. Does TCWU evangelise ?

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="felixlynch777"]

7guns

Let me ask you this first. Does TCWU evangelise ?

Of course we do. In line with what the Bible teaches.

"Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature." - Mark 16:15

But that doesn't mean its sole purpose is to evangelize.

7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 7guns

"Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature." - Mark 16:15

Lansdowne5

What is the purpose of evangelism other than obeying your god's word ?

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

7guns

The purpose is to spread the Good News. The reason, is to obey God's Word.

7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 7guns
[QUOTE="7guns"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

Lansdowne5

The purpose is to spread the Good News. The reason, is to obey God's Word.

What is this "good news" ?

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Lansdowne5

7guns

The promise and hope of salvation that Jesus provides for all people of all nations. :)

7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 7guns
[QUOTE="7guns"]

Lansdowne5

The promise and hope of salvation that Jesus provides for all people of all nations. :)

In the process some of the people will convert to your religion, who, without being exposed to evangelism, would have remained unchanged. Isn't that correct ?

felixlynch777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 felixlynch777
[QUOTE="felixlynch777"]

Lansdowne5

It's left unsaid but it's obvious what the union is meant for. Evangelising. C'mon there's even a thread called "Evangelism HQ"

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="felixlynch777"]

felixlynch777

It's left unsaid but it's obvious what the union is meant for. Evangelising. C'mon there's even a thread called "Evangelism HQ"

That's because a major part of being Christian is helping others to find God.

And by that logic I could say that this Union's whole purpose is to teach Evolution just because there is a thread called "The Evolution Archive".

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="7guns"]

7guns

In the process some of the people will convert to your religion, who, without being exposed to evangelism, would have remained unchanged. Isn't that correct ?

No. Their eyes may have been opened another way. But we are instructed to spread God's Word whenever we can.

7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 7guns
[QUOTE="7guns"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="7guns"]

Lansdowne5

No. Their eyes may have been opened another way. But we are instructed to spread God's Word whenever we can.

Just because you obey god's will doesn't mean that you have to be blind at the effects it has on people. OR, is this the way you have to be ?

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Lansdowne5

Just because you obey god's will doesn't mean that you have to be blind at the effects it has on people. OR, is this the way you have to be ?

7guns

What do you mean? We show them to God, it is their choice whether they accept him or not.

7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 7guns
[QUOTE="7guns"]

Lansdowne5

What do you mean? We show them to God, it is their choice whether they accept him or not.

So what you are saying is that "evangelism" is nothing like "an attempt to convert" ?

SimpJee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SimpJee
Member since 2002 • 18309 Posts

7guns

So what you are saying is that "evangelism" is nothing like "an attempt to convert" ?

They think they're doing people favors. Don't spend too much time arguing with these people, you'll find you wont get anywhere.

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Lansdowne5

SimpJee

They think they're doing people favors. Don't spend too much time arguing with these people, you'll find you wont get anywhere.

Please. I'm having a perfectly reasonable discussion with 7guns, there is absolutely no argueing involved, and I'd leave if that's what it turned into.

Thanks for the generalization by the way. But I'm not one of those people. :)

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Lansdowne5

7guns

Evangelism is showing them to God, and letting them decide whether to believe in him or not. It is not, by any means, forcing them.

7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 7guns

Lansdowne5

Evangelism is showing them to God, and then letting them decide whether to believe in him or not. It is not, by any means, forcing them.

So you concider evangelism to be successful when the other person agrees with you that god exists?

If that's the case, do you really think that the person will actually choose NOT to believe in him, after you show him god?

By your definition, "evangelism" , "is preaching followed by succes"

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="7guns"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="7guns"]

7guns

Evangelism is showing them to God, and then letting them decide whether to believe in him or not. It is not, by any means, forcing them.

So you concider evangelism to be successful when the other person agrees with you that god exists?

If that's the case, do you really think that the person will actually choose NOT to believe in him, after you show him god?

No, we show them the path to God. They can either go down it, or not. It is entirely their choice. We plant the seed, they choose whether to make it grow. :)

7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 7guns
[QUOTE="7guns"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="7guns"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="7guns"]

Lansdowne5

No, we show them the path to God. They can either go down it, or not. It is entirely their choice. We plant the seed, they choose whether to make it grow. :)

From "evangelism" to "an attempt to convert ", where do you draw the line? It seems all too shady to me. It's like they are two sides of the same coin.

Also, evangelism is manipulative, especially when it says obey or it's hell for you. Don't you agree?

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="7guns"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="7guns"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="7guns"]

7guns

From "evangelism" to "an attempt to convert ", where do you draw the line? It seems all too shady to me. It's like they are two sides of the same coin.

Also, evangelism is manipulative, especially when it says obey or it's hell for you. Don't you agree?

In a sense, the aim 'is' to convert them, but not 'force' them to be converted. We have a clear outline of what to do from the Bible.

Evangelism is not manipulative at all, it is showing people what the Bible says is the truth, they have free will and can choose whatever they want to believe. And in regard to the "believe in God or go to hell" thing I've never done that and the Bible does not teach us to use scare tactics, moreover the opposite - Love.

By the way, most discussions in life on issues, be it relgious, political, a favourite game or movie is the sharing and discussions of beliefs or opinions on the topic. When you come to the off topic threads and attempt to disprove God's existence, that is evangalizing for Atheism.

The reality, is that most Atheists just wish to silence the Gospel and the truth of Christianity.