deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

Everyone has been stereotyped at one point or another and atheists are no exception. The term "atheist" comes with prejudices against them, some of them valid, while others not so much. Stereotypes are often generally true, but that still doesn't stop it from being exaggerated. Below are a list of stereotypes that atheists are often placed into and my opinion as to the validity of the stereotype.

Atheists are generally naturalists
True. Many people are not limited to their belief in God. The people who do make the leap over the pond to atheism only have done so as a result of accepting naturalism as the only proven belief system that exists. Yes, not all atheists are naturalist. There are religious atheists, such as Buddhists, and spiritual atheists. However, these are a miniority.

Atheists generally accept the scientific consensus of the origin of the universe, life, and climate change
True. Even the spiritual atheists don't confuse spirituality with science. The current scientific consensus is built on decades of evidence. The theories themselves have been modified over time, but they ultimately seem to present an origin that doesn't involve a god. Granted, there's more than one interpretation of these theories, but even among scientists, atheism remains a deep seated belief. There are a few atheists that haven't accepted some of these theories, but again, they remain a miniority.

Atheists are generally politically liberal
True. Most atheists are for social freedom even if a lifestyIe is unhealthy or socially unacceptable. Atheists advocate the separation of church and state and believe that this separation justifies the gay rights movement, feminism, and reproductive rights. On an economic standpoint, atheists believe that government should be used to prevent companies from growing too big and that health care is a right. However, it's not too uncommon for atheists to believe in the free market and proclaim themselves to be libertarians. Conservative atheists that want a regulated society on the other hand are far less common.

Atheists are generally moral relativists
True. Atheists recognize that morality has changed throughout time and use this to show that there is no objective standard for morality.

Atheists generally believe in determinism and not free will
Somewhat false. There are definitely atheists that believe in determinism and not free will, but you'll find some that believe in both, or free will and not determinism, or neither.

Atheists generally believe there is no purpose in life
Somewhat true. Although it's not unheard of that an atheist is an absurdist, there are many atheists that believe that there is a purpose in this life. Many common concerns with atheists are the quality of life, freedom, and equality.

Atheists are nihilists
False. Most atheists do believe in nature at least and do not believe this life is an illusion.

Atheists believe there is no god
Somewhat false. Most atheists are weak atheists who simply do not believe in a god. Strong atheists believe there is no god and are less common and even then, most atheists, both strong and weak, can still also be cIassified as agnostics, in that they don't know that there is or isn't a god, but simply don't believe or believe there is none. Atheists who claim to know there is no god are very rare.

Atheists are religioiusas atheism is a religion
False. Not only is the stereotype false, but the assertion with it is also false. There is little objectivity to atheism, other than the nonexistence of gods. Every other objective notion of atheism is defined by the atheist himself. Yes, atheists can be stereotyped into a group, but so can conservatives and blacks.

Atheists secretly believe in God especially if they're in trouble
Undetermined. This belief comes from the expression, "There are no atheists in foxholes." It is impossible to know the mind of an atheist when they're in trouble.

Atheists hate God
It depends. Most atheists upon reading the Bible would say that God described in the Bible is an evil being. However, most atheists maintain that if God exists, there would be no evil since he is good. So, when it comes to the Abrahamic God, it's true. When it comes to any monotheistic God, it's false.

Atheists hate America
Mostly true. Atheists tend to not be American and generally foreigners tend to be more likely to hate America.

Atheists are mainly young
Mostly true. Atheism exists in many young people, particularly in the Western world. Generally as people get closer to death, atheism disappears.

Atheists are mostly men
Mostly true. Women are more religious than men, which means that men are probably more likely to be atheists.

Atheists are mostly European
Mostly true. Atheists consist of only roughly 9% of the population in the United States where as in some European countries like France, they consist of almost a third of the population.

Atheists are militant fundamentalists
Mostly false. Atheists do not have a set of fundamental issues that they have to agree on to be qualified as an atheist.

Atheists are aggressive
Mostly true. Atheists do not like being preached to and will show intolerance to people who do. They will call evangelicals names and yell at them.

Atheists are more superstitious
It depends. Christians rely on a lot of superstitutions such as prayer and communion. However, atheists are more likely to believe in other pseudosciences and superstitions according to Baylor University.

Atheists are less intelligent than Christians
Mostly false. This stereotype, like many others already mentioned it, is advanced by evangelical Christians. If IQ is taken as a standard of intelligence, then that would mean atheists, by country, are more intelligent than theists. Obviously, there are exceptions.

Atheists are more rebellious and more likely to engage in sin
Mostly true. Atheists do not accept tradition generally and as a result, go against the accepted way of behaving. Generally, this is considered a sin by many Christians. However, even from a strictly moral standpoint that has nothing to do with religion, atheists are more likely to believe that abortion, homosexuality, and extramarital sex is acceptable. Atheists are also more likely to have long hair for men and short hair for women, have tattoos and body piercings, and be unshaven.

Atheists are less likely to volunteer and give to charity
True. Studies have shown this.

Ultimately, your stereotypical atheist looks like this:

Militant atheist.

Meanwhile, your stereotypical theist looks like this "do-gooder":

Ned Flanders.

Hidely ho neighborino!

I realize that I made a lot of assertions without much statistical evidence backing up some claims. If you have any evidence that supports or contradicts one of my claims, please post them.

Well, do you fit the mold of a stereotypical atheist? Do you disagree with my opinion? What to you is a stereotypical atheist?

I'm about a little less than 50%. I'm a naturalist, but I'm also conservative.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

Great thread G_C let me see how many stereotypes I fit.

Yup, you've got me on that one

Atheists generally accept the scientific consensus of the origin of the universe, life, and climate change

For the most part yes. I don't really know anything (or care) about climate change though so I can't say whether I agree with the scientific consensus.

Eh, yeah I suppose so. Like climate change politics is an issue that I don't pay much heed to but I'm probably more liberal than I am conservative.

Yessir.

Nope, I'm a compatibilist when it comes to that, I believe in both.

Yep, I'm an absurdist.

Atheists are nihilists

It depends on what kind of nihilism you're talking about but on the whole I would say no.

Yes I fit this stereotype very snugly indeed.

Okay this one is right out a fundamentalist's mouth. No.

Again this is something that fundamentalists believe about atheists, not what is generally typical of atheists. Once more, no.

Atheists hate God

Nah, don't have anything personally against him, I just don't reckon he exists.

Atheists hate America

To the contrary, I've always wanted to go to America because it seems like a cool, albeit different, place.

Yeah I'm 21 and just out of uni so I think I'm of the stereotypical age.

Atheists are mostly men

Y'know I never really noticed that but you're right. Most of the atheists I know are men and a fair few of my lady friends are theists. This is another stereotype I fit into snugly.

Nope, New Zealander here.

I've told you once, I've told you twice and now I shall tell you thrice, no.

Atheists are aggressive

Nah I don't think this holds true for me. I'm generally quite chillaxed and I like it when the evangelists come to my door. Any anger I have is generally directed towards extreme stupidity, not any particular atheism/religion related issue.

Nein, nada, niet.

Well speaking for myself I'm quite a dunce so yes I suppose I would agree on this point.

Yeah I have no qualms about premarital sex, lusting after women in my heart or working on the sabbath so I willingly and frequently engage in sinfulness.

Yeah, given that I don't go to a church or tithe or anything I would definitely be less charitable then most theists.

Righto so that leaves me with 11 stereotypes that I do fit into and 10 that I don't so I suppose that makes me approximately 52% stereotypical.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5a79221380856

Well speaking for myself I'm quite a dunce so yes I suppose I would agree on this point.

domatron23

Oh, you're too humble. You're very intelligent. In fact, I didn't nominate you in the OTcars, which I should have.

Righto so that leaves me with 11 stereotypes that I do fit into and 10 that I don't so I suppose that makes me approximately 52% stereotypical.

domatron23

Well, some of those stereotypes are blatantly false ones presented by Christians. I didn't measure myself on that standard though. I just gave a rough estimate rather than tally which ones I felt described me since I felt that some of them are not accurate stereotypes of atheists. I notice that this thread is awfully similar to the sticked "dogma" thread. I hope you don't mind.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Points I wish to contend:

Somewhat true. Although it's not unheard of that an atheist is an absurdist, there are many atheists that believe that there is a purpose in this life. Many common concerns with atheists are the quality of life, freedom, and equality.

I will contend that most atheists claim and believe that there is a purpose in life, just not an ultimate or absolute one.The "purpose" being that which they make for themselves.

Atheists are nihilists
False. Most atheists do believe in nature at least and do not believe this life is an illusion.

Believing that life is an "illusion" is not nihilism. Many Eastern traditions, especially those related to Buddhism/Hinduism, express that existence, ultimately (not conventionally), is in fact an "illusion," or the result of our consciousness applying features to the "mundane"
world... and are most definitely not nihilistic. I find there is a strong tendency to corelate nihilism with many ideas about reality that aren't "scientifically objective."

Mostly true. Atheism exists in many young people, particularly in the Western world. Generally as people get closer to death, atheism disappears.

Atheists can come from all walks of life and any age bracket. I had a very staunch atheist professor (he didn't claim to be atheist, but his antagonism towards religion definitely suggested he was) and he was in his late '60's.

Atheists are aggressive
Mostly true. Atheists do not like being preached to and will show intolerance to people who do. They will call evangelicals names and yell at them.

Most young atheists (read: adolescent) tend to be aggressive. Once those adolescents reach adulthood, they tend to settle down. I was an aggressive atheist when I was a teenager... but now I'm very much neutral and very non-aggressive.

Points I very much like and wish to expand on:

False. Not only is the stereotype false, but the assertion with it is also false. There is little objectivity to atheism, other than the nonexistence of gods. Every other objective notion of atheism is defined by the atheist himself. Yes, atheists can be stereotyped into a group, but so can conservatives and blacks.

Atheism most definitely is not a religion. Many religious fundamentalists want this to be true, and try so hard to assert it to be true... but in the end it is completely and utterly false. Atheism is a position on the belief/non-belief in God, gods and/or the supernatural. The atheist "way of life" varies between individuals and in no way accounts for even a fraction of the total population that is atheist. Not to mention the atheist religions like Buddhism and Jainism that are separate "religions" themselves and profess atheistic values.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#5 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts
atheists are more likely to believe that extramaritalsex is acceptable. Genetic_Code
WHAT?:?
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
Let's see how many stereotypes I fit into.

Yep 

Yep 

Well, I try to avoid labelling myself politically, but I'd say that I definitely have more allies on the left than I do on the right. 

That does not apply to me 

I'm really apathetic to the debate over free will and determinism, and compatibalism and incompatibalism. I think it's all irrelevant. 

II would consider myself an absurdist, but I don't think it's accurate to ****fy absurdism as the belief that there is no purpose in life. I have created my own purposes in life. And as for an inherent purpose in life, absurdism, as I understand it, doesn't reject the idea of there being an inherent purpose; it's just an acceptance of ignorance - we will never be able to know if there is any inherent purpose and/or what that purpose is.

Atheists are nihilists

I'm certainly not a nihilist 

Well, I've begun to adopt a strong atheistic position, especially when debating whether or not the Christian God exists, or the Jewish God exists, ect. because these deities are so incoherent in their ontology that they can't possibly exist in any meaningful sense. 

Nope

Nope 

Atheists hate God

"Hate" is a strong word. All I will say is that I would not be comfortable if God existed - I kind of like my privacy and the idea ofsome sort of supernatural dictator bothers me. 

Atheists hate America

So not true. I love America. 

I'm pretty young, but that's changing (a little too quickly if I say so myself). 

Atheists are mostly men

I think there is some truth behind that.  

Well, I'm descended from Europeans, but I am not really European myself.  

Nope 

Atheists are aggressive

I always try not to get hostile. In fact I enjoy the occasional chat with believers, they can be interesting. 

I am not supersitious at all. 

I'm sure there are some Christians that are brighter than me, and I'm sure there are some Christians that are not as bright as I am.  

I'm pretty clean cut. But I have no problems with sex outside of marriage and other "sinful" behavior. 

I don't give that much to charity but I do try to volunteer as much as possible.

Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Frattracide
Member since 2005 • 5395 Posts

Yes. This is an accurate description of me 

Yes, but obviously not dogmatically. That would be silly.

No. I'm best described as libertarian

Yes. I mean no. Er, yes. No wait. . . 

No. I don't see how that idea jives with Quantum mechanics. Which is by definition indeterminate 

Sort of. I don't believe that there is a purpose ordained from some higher being.

Atheists are nihilists
No. I don't advocate that philosophy. Then again, I don't know much about it. Maybe I should add Nietzsche to my reading list. (But it is so big already :cry: )

No, but I don't believe that one exists. 

Atheists are religioius as atheism is a religion
No I'm not religious but I don't see how this assertion plays into a stereotype

NO! I've been to Afghanistan and been in life threatening situations. I have never cried out to any deity no matter how dire my straits have been. 

Atheists hate God
RAWR! :evil: I actually do hate the christian god. I find his ethic and moral standards to be deplorable, but that is not why I don't think he exists. I'm more or less indifferent to all the other gods.

Atheists hate America
I've risked my life on more than one occasion for the U.S. so no, I don't hate America. I think its a bit of a "fixer upper" though.

I'm 23. I've been an atheist since I was 20 

Atheists are mostly men
According to my driver's licence I am a male. I won't get any more graphic than that.

I'm a U.S. citizen. I bleed red and blue (But only if I'm hypoxic)

Though I like discussing religion, I usually only bring it up in place like this. And I really don't care about the religious beliefs other people hold. And if someone gets too preachy, I'll give them a fair warning before I get too argumentative.   

Atheists are aggressive

Nope. See above 

I'm not superstitious

There is not really a good way to quantify that on a personal level. I'm smarter than some, I'm dumber than others. I'm an individual so I can't be "generally" smarter or dumber than another individual.   

By some standards, yes. By others, no.

I don't really give to charity. But I don't make a lot of money either.

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

Those sterotypes seem particularly USA focused, rather than international. I would implore you Genetic to try some international travel (unlike the vast majority (~90%) of Americans that don't have passports).

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts

Those sterotypes seem particularly USA focused, rather than international. I would implore you Genetic to try some international travel (unlike the vast majority (~90%) of Americans that don't have passports).

RationalAtheist

Yeah, i thought it was around 80%?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5a79221380856

Interesting points foxhound.

[QUOTE="Genetic_Code"]atheists are more likely to believe that extramaritalsex is acceptable. Gambler_3
WHAT?:?

Atheists generally believe that sex between consenting adult is morally acceptable, regardless of the marital status of the individuals partaking in it. There are some atheists that are against adultery but less atheists than theists that are opposed to it.

RationalAtheist

Yeah, I'm rather naive about everything outside of my country for the most part.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

Atheists generally believe that sex between consenting adult is morally acceptable, regardless of the marital status of the individuals partaking in it.Genetic_Code

Now on that point I must disagree.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

Well I dont know what I am, and I dont know if I fit into any of these stereotypical features. For instance I dont know and cant decide if I am a naturalist. And so on for most of the rest.

So there.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gambler_3

Atheists generally believe that sex between consenting adult is morally acceptable, regardless of the marital status of the individuals partaking in it. There are some atheists that are against adultery but less atheists than theists that are opposed to it.

Genetic_Code

Really? How exactly did you come to that conclusion?:|

If anything followers of religions which allow polygamy(spelling) are more likely to cheat like Islam.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

I suppose yes

Yes

I am fairly Liberal on most things.

True. Atheists recognize that morality has changed throughout time and use this to show that there is no objective standard for morality.

Neither

True

Atheists are nihilists
False.

There is no God, surely you aren't an Atheist otherwise?

False.

From personal experience no, I stopped believing in fairies and unicorns when I was 8 or 9

Atheists hate God
Hating something that doesn't exist isn't logical, hating what is done in the name of gods, thats a different matter.

Atheists hate America
lol ridiculous, but a common lie used to smear both atheists and the left wing

I would argue that as people become better educated they realise that the idea of a god becomes more likely to be preposterous, as later generations are better educated atheism is more widespread.

Atheists are mostly men
couldn't say

Certainly alot more people prepared to take a real look at religion when I lived there and debate it rationally

No

Atheists are aggressive
I won't yell at people in the street and try to avoid confrontation over the issue, but if you preach at me be prepared for some uncomfortable truths

Not at all.

I don't want to anser this! :P

There is no such thing as sin

I don't volunteer but I give generously to charity

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

[QUOTE="Genetic_Code"]

Gambler_3

Really? How exactly did you come to that conclusion?:|

If anything followers of religions which allow polygamy(spelling) are more likely to cheat like Islam.

It's logical. Of course there are exceptions, but it's religion that usually bans adultery, not secular people. How many atheists, agnostics, etc. can think of who are against adultery?

EDIT: I meant pre-marital sex, not adultery.

About the religions that permit polygamy: polygamy isn't really encouraged in any religion. If anything it's discouraged. Even if it wasn't, it doesn't count as adultery because your're married to those people. And as far as I know, such religions make a clear distinction between cheating on someone and polygamy.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
It's logical. Of course there are exceptions, but it's religion that usually bans adultery, not secular people. How many atheists, agnostics, etc. can think of who are against adultery?

About the religions that permit polygamy: polygamy isn't really encouraged in any religion. If anything it's discouraged. Even if it wasn't, it doesn't count as adultery because your're married to those people. And as far as I know, such religions make a clear distinction between cheating on someone and polygamy.

ghoklebutter

Everyone I know, atheist or otherwise is against adultery.

As for religions maybe you should read up on it first? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygamy

Religions tend to be as often pro as anti ... :P

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ghoklebutter
[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]It's logical. Of course there are exceptions, but it's religion that usually bans adultery, not secular people. How many atheists, agnostics, etc. can think of who are against adultery?

blue_hazy_basic

Everyone I know, atheist or otherwise is against adultery.

As for religions maybe you should read up on it first? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygamy

Religions tend to be as often pro as anti ... :P

Really? :P That's interesting to know. Are they against cheating or just pre-marital sex (both count as "adultery" in many religions)?

Even if it's encouraged in many religions, it doesn't mean religious people are more likely to cheat. And having multiple spouses isn't cheating because they're married.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gambler_3

ghoklebutter

I cant seem to think of any? Do you even know what you are talking about?

I think the only people who would consider adultery as ethical are those who dont mind there partners doing that on them. Trying to relate religious belief to this just doesnt make any sense.

ghoklebutter

*sigh*

I will say this once and that's it, I have said it before but you dont seem to get it. POLYGOMY ISNT DISCOURAGED IN ISLAM BECAUSE THE FOUNDERS THEMSELVES DID IT!

If your wife loves you too much for her to ever accept your second wife then yes polygomy is basically "open" cheating lol.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
It's logical. Of course there are exceptions, but it's religion that usually bans adultery, not secular people. How many atheists, agnostics, etc. can think of who are against adultery?ghoklebutter

Adultery and cheating are inherently negative things. They violate the trust between partners. That causes serious harm to a relationship that is defined as "committed." Most people that I know are non-religious, and all of them are against adultery and cheating.

This isn't a moral issue... it is an issue inherent to commitment and monogamy. When there is the trust that your partner will remain exclusive to you, and they violate that trust, it will harm you most severely. There are plenty of people out there who practice "polyamory" (relationships (emotional and/or sexual) with several people, not actual marriages) and "open relationships" (where you can date other people at the same time) but I highly doubt that most of them do so for reasons other than that they are just scared of commitment and don't want to "settle down."
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ghoklebutter

[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]It's logical. Of course there are exceptions, but it's religion that usually bans adultery, not secular people. How many atheists, agnostics, etc. can think of who are against adultery?foxhound_fox

Adultery and cheating are inherently negative things. They violate the trust between partners. That causes serious harm to a relationship that is defined as "committed." Most people that I know are non-religious, and all of them are against adultery and cheating.

This isn't a moral issue... it is an issue inherent to commitment and monogamy. When there is the trust that your partner will remain exclusive to you, and they violate that trust, it will harm you most severely. There are plenty of people out there who practice "polyamory" (relationships (emotional and/or sexual) with several people, not actual marriages) and "open relationships" (where you can date other people at the same time) but I highly doubt that most of them do so for reasons other than that they are just scared of commitment and don't want to "settle down."

It was simply a mix-up. I was talking about pre-marital sex, which is obviously not a problem with secular people.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]It's logical. Of course there are exceptions, but it's religion that usually bans adultery, not secular people. How many atheists, agnostics, etc. can think of who are against adultery?ghoklebutter

It was simply a mix-up. I was talking about pre-marital sex, which is obviously not a problem with secular people.

Adultery is not pre-marital sex...
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ghoklebutter
[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]It's logical. Of course there are exceptions, but it's religion that usually bans adultery, not secular people. How many atheists, agnostics, etc. can think of who are against adultery?Gambler_3

Adultery is not pre-marital sex...

I know that. I mixed the two terms.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#24 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

RAWR! :evil: I actually do hate the christian god. I find his ethic and moral standards to be deplorable, but that is not why I don't think he exists. I'm more or less indifferent to all the other gods.

Frattracide

Which ethic and moral standards are those?

It kind of all depends on which books in the Bible you're reading, or which sections of those books you're reading, which is one of the reasons why I really can't take terribly seriously the idea that it is from cover to cover a divine revelation from the same entity (although there is always the tried and true explanation that "different segments simply reveal different parts of his character").  I liked one part of Lewis Black's standup routine: "The New Testament God is really a great guy.  He is.  Especially when you compare him to the Old Testament God, who is a prick."

Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Frattracide
Member since 2005 • 5395 Posts

Which ethic and moral standards are those?

It kind of all depends on which books in the Bible you're reading, or which sections of those books you're reading, which is one of the reasons why I really can't take terribly seriously the idea that it is from cover to cover a divine revelation from the same entity (although there is always the tried and true explanation that "different segments simply reveal different parts of his character").  I liked one part of Lewis Black's standup routine: "The New Testament God is really a great guy.  He is.  Especially when you compare him to the Old Testament God, who is a prick."

GabuEx

I should make it clear that I am not only referring to scripture when I talk about a religion, but also the ideas espoused by its leaders and teachers because, while scripture is nice, religions are comprised by people and it is their actions which largely define the religion. That being said, here are a few things that make me "mad at god" all of which are fairly universal in christianity. 

The moral premise of original sin and guilt by existence.   

I don't like the idea that somebody thinks it is reasonable to hold me responsible for something I did not do. Especially if the entire incident was the result of the direct action of that individual. That standard is absurd. If a moral christian god exists, he would not allow this kind of thinking to be expressed in his name. Especially considering the fact that it forms the base of so much needless shame and guilt. You can never be good enough because the standard is impossible.

The christian solution? Give your life over to the guy that set the standard in the first place. Why? Because if you don't, the guy that created the impossible standard will lovingly punish you for all eternity. So say the christian teachers. (or a lot of them anyway.)      

If a human judge placed a person on trial for a crime their father committed, declared their guilt before the trial started, made the criteria for vindication so ridiculous that the outcome was guaranteed to sustain the guilty verdict and then used that verdict as a rationalization for heinous torture, would that judge be considered moral? I think not. So why does god get a pass? 

The ethic of sacrifice.  

The idea that pure altruism, *as described by Rand, is a goal that all humans should work towards. This idea is exemplified in the story of the "passion of the christ"      

The morality of worship. 

The idea that we are indebted to the guy that saved us from an impossible standard he created by sacrificing himself, to himself, for the purpose of indebting us to him. And that that debt is expressed in the form of eternal slavery. (worship) What a horrible thing to demand after doing such a horrible thing.

A common christian cliche is: "The greatest thing the devil ever did was convince the world he didn't exist."

I submit to you that: The worst thing god ever did was convince the world he does exist.

* Rand described altruism as the destruction of what you value for the sake of what you do not value. In other words an altruistic action is something that does not benefit you in any way (and often times harms you) while greatly benefiting someone else. 

Rand greatly influenced my thinking on this subject, mostly because my religious leaders sounded almost exactly like the villains from her books.  

If you want to learn more about Rand's thinking on sacrifice, you should read the "John Gault speech" from Atlas Shrugged or you can watch it here.

Ok, I'll stop proselytizing personal philosophies now. 

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RationalAtheist

ghoklebutter

It seems to me that your knowledge of secular beliefs is "obviously" almost as good as your knowledge of Islam.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#27 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

The moral premise of original sin and guilt by existence.   

I don't like the idea that somebody thinks it is reasonable to hold me responsible for something I did not do. Especially if the entire incident was the result of the direct action of that individual. That standard is absurd. If a moral christian god exists, he would not allow this kind of thinking to be expressed in his name. Especially considering the fact that it forms the base of so much needless shame and guilt. You can never be good enough because the standard is impossible.

The christian solution? Give your life over to the guy that set the standard in the first place. Why? Because if you don't, the guy that created the impossible standard will lovingly punish you for all eternity. So say the christian teachers. (or a lot of them anyway.)      

If a human judge placed a person on trial for a crime their father committed, declared their guilt before the trial started, made the criteria for vindication so ridiculous that the outcome was guaranteed to sustain the guilty verdict and then used that verdict as a rationalization for heinous torture, would that judge be considered moral? I think not. So why does god get a pass? 

Frattracide

OK, yeah, I agree with this one.  But, I don't believe that this is a belief held by all Christians.  In fact, it has led to any number of unsavory ideas in the past, such as the idea that babies who die in their infancy go straight to hell due to having not been saved of their original sin (which was the position of the Catholic Church a long time ago).  People have tried to come up with certain ways of getting around this, such as coming up with the "age of accountability" idea, where after a certain point a person becomes accountable for sin and it's only after that point that an unrepentant human who dies will go to hell... but then this comes up with an even more unsavory conclusion, which is that the most humane thing we can possibly do is to kill every single human before they reach this "age of accountability" in order to ensure that they are guaranteed a trip straight to heaven.

Other people, however, have come up with a better resolution: "Original sin is BS." :P

The ethic of sacrifice.  

The idea that pure altruism, *as described by Rand, is a goal that all humans should work towards. This idea is exemplified in the story of the "passion of the christ"

* Rand described altruism as the destruction of what you value for the sake of what you do not value. In other words an altruistic action is something that does not benefit you in any way (and often times harms you) while greatly benefiting someone else. 

Rand greatly influenced my thinking on this subject, mostly because my religious leaders sounded almost exactly like the villains from her books.  

If you want to learn more about Rand's thinking on sacrifice, you should read the "John Gault speech" from Atlas Shrugged or you can watch it here.

Frattracide

I certainly agree with Rand on the notion that the destruction of what you value to create that which you do not value is irrational to the core.

On the other hand, though, I tend to believe that not all things valued are created equal.  I have done a lot of thinking on this subject, and although I haven't formalized it yet, I think that there is something that can be said about a morality derived from making others happy.  If that which you value is what would be described by economists as a rival good - that is, something where having it disallows others from also having it - then if someone comes along who is better at acquiring whatever it is you value, your happiness would consequently be negatively impacted.  On the other hand, however, if that which you value is a non-rival good, then it is impossible for others to deprive you of it, and therefore those who desire the same thing do not have the possibility of making you unhappy in their own pursuit of happiness.

Therefore, I believe that the most rational course in life is not simply to pursue that which we value, but also to value that which others who also value it do not need to deprive us of it in their pursuit of it.  Hence, greed, here defined as a larger amount of happiness derived from a proportionately larger amount of material gain, is ultimately irrational.

And in fact, I do not believe that Jesus wanted us to be unhappy in our pursuit of sacrifice.  I don't believe he wanted us to sacrifice our happiness for others' happiness.  Rather, I believe he wanted us to fundamentally change that which we most value from material goods that others can deprive us of to the happiness of others which no one can deprive us of.  It's not that we should be unhappy so others can be happy, but rather that we should be happy because others are happy.  This is the only way that happiness can truly be a limitless resource in the world, uncontingent on the amount of material wealth one has accumulated and thereby deprived others of.

The morality of worship. 

The idea that we are indebted to the guy that saved us from an impossible standard he created by sacrificing himself, to himself, for the purpose of indebting us to him. And that that debt is expressed in the form of eternal slavery. (worship) What a horrible thing to demand after doing such a horrible thing.

A common christian cliche is: "The greatest thing the devil ever did was convince the world he didn't exist."

I submit to you that: The worst thing god ever did was convince the world he does exist.

Frattracide

Similar to the above, I don't believe that worship means quite what some think it means, at least in the original sense it was encouraged.  I do not believe that, when we are told to worship God, we are intended (again, at least originally) to be mindless slaves who sacrifice everything we desire out of fear.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ghoklebutter
[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]

RationalAtheist

It seems to me that your knowledge of secular beliefs is "obviously" almost as good as your knowledge of Islam.

The term for illegal sexual conduct in Arabic is "zina'". It can be translated as "fornication" or "adultery" in English depending on the context. But since "zina'" is translated as both often in the Qur'an for example, it's easy to mix meaning of the terms "adultery" and "fornication". :P

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RationalAtheist
[QUOTE="RationalAtheist"][QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]

ghoklebutter

The term for illegal sexual conduct in Arabic is "zina'". It can be translated as "fornication" or "adultery" in English depending on the context. But since "zina'" is translated as both often in the Qur'an for example, it's easy to mix meaning of the terms "adultery" and "fornication". :P

I was referring to your notion that pre-marital sex was "obviously" not a problem for secular people.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts

I was referring to your notion that pre-marital sex was "obviously" not a problem for secular people.

RationalAtheist
Based on various studies in both Europe and the US, it isn't... lots of couples live together and share a bed (that they have sex in), without being married. Some of them eventually end up getting married, others never bother. So it's not a stretch to say that countries where a large part of the population is non-religious (=secular) are countries where large parts of the population don't see anything wrong with having sex without getting married first.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Gambler_3
[QUOTE="RationalAtheist"]

ChiliDragon

Based on various studies in both Europe and the US, it isn't... lots of couples live together and share a bed (that they have sex in), without being married. Some of them eventually end up getting married, others never bother. So it's not a stretch to say that countries where a large part of the population is non-religious (=secular) are countries where large parts of the population don't see anything wrong with having sex without getting married first.

In pakistan the majority of people especially males aged 19-30 indulge in pre-marital sex or simply make out and dont do sex for fear of accidental pregnancy.

And it's basically all income groups from the very poor to the very rich that indulge in pre-marital sex. However most people wont admit "openly" that it's ok to have pre-marital sex for fear of offending the established doctrines of islam.

FYI pakistan has a 99% muslim population and no variant of islam allows pre-marital sex.

The new generation finds nothing wrong in having premarital sex especially with a GF, they would also start living together if the elders and the society would accept such a thing which they wont ever. 

Most people who marry being a virgin simply never had a GF that was willing to have sex with them or either got married at a very young age.

I am in no way being an apologetic to atheists doing pre-marital sex cuz I find nothing wrong with it but I just wanted to point out that religious people arent exactly as opposed to pre-marital sex as you may think. It requires an extreme level of strong belief in the hereafter to sacrifice life's biggest pleasure which not many people have...

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Teenaged

The new generation finds nothing wrong in having premarital sexGambler_3

Same here in Greece.

The new generation has pretty much abandoned that "no premarital-sex" moral.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ChiliDragon
[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

The new generation finds nothing wrong in having premarital sexTeenaged

Same here in Greece.

Very few non-religious moral codes have the wedding day as the magic cut-off when sex no longer causes more potential problems than it's worth. The vast majority on non-theism inspired moral codes instead look at the nature of the relationship, personal preferences, what the possible consequences of having sex would be (pregnancy, STD, et cetera), and whether these can be handled or avoided. Or so I've been told .:)
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

The new generation finds nothing wrong in having premarital sexChiliDragon

Same here in Greece.

Very few non-religious moral codes have the wedding day as the magic cut-off when sex no longer causes more potential problems than it's worth. The vast majority on non-theism inspired moral codes instead look at the nature of the relationship, personal preferences, what the possible consequences of having sex would be (pregnancy, STD, et cetera), and whether these can be handled or avoided. Or so I've been told .:)

I... dont understand. =/
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ChiliDragon
I... dont understand. =/Teenaged
Um, yeah, I'm confusing myself as well :? Let's try this again. Religious morals say that pre-marital sex is wrong because it's a sin, in other words, "because god said so!" So if a person believes in that religion and tries their best to follows it's rules and morals, they will do their best to avoid having pre-marital sex. But if the moral rules are not based on what god said, what good reason is there to post-pone having sex with someone that you love and plan to spend the rest of your life with anyway, just because you won't be able to get married until two years from now? If you take out religion, what is there left that would make pre-marital sex "wrong"or bad?
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]I... dont understand. =/ChiliDragon
Um, yeah, I'm confusing myself as well :? Let's try this again. Religious morals say that pre-marital sex is wrong because it's a sin, in other words, "because god said so!" So if a person believes in that religion and tries their best to follows it's rules and morals, they will do their best to avoid having pre-marital sex. But if the moral rules are not based on what god said, what good reason is there to post-pone having sex with someone that you love and plan to spend the rest of your life with anyway, just because you won't be able to get married until two years from now? If you take out religion, what is there left that would make pre-marital sex "wrong"or bad?

Ah.

Generally speaking yeah.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ghoklebutter

Pakistan has a 99% muslim population and no variant of islam allows pre-marital sex.

Gambler_3

I believe Sufism allows pre-marital sex, though I could be wrong.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5a79221380856

Adultery is not pre-marital sex...Gambler_3

In Christianity, simply lust is considered adultery.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]Adultery is not pre-marital sex...Genetic_Code

Huh?

That's like saying stealing is considered murder. I mean the words have different meaning, one cant be "considered" the other but you can say that lust is considered as bad as adultery which I highly doubt, got any evidence for that?

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]Adultery is not pre-marital sex...Genetic_Code

That is inncurate since not all Christians believe so and those who dont are deffinitely not in the minority.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ChiliDragon
[QUOTE="Genetic_Code"]

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]Adultery is not pre-marital sex...Gambler_3

Huh?

That's like saying stealing is considered murder. I mean the words have different meaning, one cant be "considered" the other but you can say that lust is considered as bad as adultery which I highly doubt, got any evidence for that?

I think G_C might be referring to the section in the Bible where Jesus says that the desire to do wrong is as much a sin as the act itself. So you technically don't have to actually commit adultery to be in trouble, it's enough to want to do it. (GC, please correct me if I misrepresented what you posted.) I disagree though, and agree with Teenaged that the majority of Christianity does not believe that way. There are some that do, certainly, but not all. Which side is in the majority though, I don't know. Personally I side with the ones who believe that resisting temptation is a good thing. After all, if wanting to commit a sin is enough to condemn me, what reasons do I have to resist the temptation? Might as well hang for a sheep as for a lamb, right? ;)
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Teenaged

Personally I side with the ones who believe that resisting temptation is a good thing. After all, if wanting to commit a sin is enough to condemn me, what reasons do I have to resist the temptation? Might as well hang for a sheep as for a lamb, right? ;)ChiliDragon
Wait I am not sure so I'll ask.

You are of the Christians that believe that if you lust you are in effect commiting adultery?

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ChiliDragon

[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"] Personally I side with the ones who believe that resisting temptation is a good thing. After all, if wanting to commit a sin is enough to condemn me, what reasons do I have to resist the temptation? Might as well hang for a sheep as for a lamb, right? ;)Teenaged

Wait I am not sure so I'll ask.

You are of the Christians that believe that if you lust you are in effect commiting adultery?

Nope. I was playing devil's advocate. :) I'm in the group who believes that resisting the temptation to commit adultery or any other sin is one of the most important things about being a Christian. We can't control our impulses, or the stimuli we are surrounded with every day, but we can control our actions. Since we can, we should.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5a79221380856
Huh?

That's like saying stealing is considered murder. I mean the words have different meaning, one cant be "considered" the other but you can say that lust is considered as bad as adultery which I highly doubt, got any evidence for that?Gambler_3

It's funny you mention murder, because the Bible says that hatred is the same as murder. John writes in 1 John 3:15 says, "Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him." Although, strangely, Jesus says this in Luke 14:26, "If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren,and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple," which is encouraging Christians to hate their brother in order to be Jesus's disciple.

As for lust, here is the verse from Matthew 5:28, "But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."

[QUOTE="Genetic_Code"]

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]Adultery is not pre-marital sex...Teenaged

That is inncurate since not all Christians believe so and those who dont are deffinitely not in the minority.

I don't base my views on Christianity based on what the majority of Christian say, but what the Bible says. I personally think that what is currently considered Christianity has evolved from what it was in the Bible in a mostly positive light. Most Christians, and yes even the fundamentalists, are good due to their contributions to society and their charity, but not many of them, including the fundamentalists, truly believe in the Bible in its entirety.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Teenaged

I don't base my views on Christianity based on what the majority of Christian say, but what the Bible says. I personally think that what is currently considered Christianity has evolved from what it was in the Bible in a mostly positive light. Most Christians, and yes even the fundamentalists, are good due to their contributions to society and their charity, but not many of them, including the fundamentalists, truly believe in the Bible in its entirety.

Genetic_Code

How and why should a religion be defined strictly by what its scripture says, word for word?

And why is the literal interpretation the default one to use in order to judge in case a religion MUST adhere to its scripture in everything it says?

Simply and crudely put, why should we equate religion to scripture?

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ChiliDragon
EDIT: I was slow to post and Teenaged already made my point much better than I did. :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5a79221380856
How and why should a religion be defined strictly by what its scripture says, word for word?

And why is the literal interpretation the default one to use in order to judge in case a religion MUST adhere to its scripture in everything it says?

Simply and crudely put, why should we equate religion to scripture?Teenaged

It really depends on how the religion was founded. Christianity was founded on Jesus Christ who affirmed the Jewish faith. Technically, Jesus didn't affirm the New Testament as the early church did some decades later when canonizing the Bible. So, really, it's dependent on the early church. Honestly, I'm not really sure what a true Christian is, but I was always taught that it was someone who believed in the Bible. Now, a literal interpretation is not always preferred, such as when Jesus tells a parable, but it is prefered when the section of the Bible being read is being written as a historical account, such as the book of Genesis or Exodus. Although Chili might disagree with me on Genesis considering that it was transcribed by Moses and Moses arguably wasn't there to actually witness the creation of Earth and the succeeding events.

I don't know much about the history of the early church though, so someone could answer this better than I can.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ChiliDragon
Honestly, I'm not really sure what a true Christian is, but I was always taught that it was someone who believed in the Bible.Genetic_Code
It's not. A Christian is someone who believes in Christ. Believing in the Bible kind of comes with the territory, but is not what defines a Christian as a Christian. At least not the way I was taught. :)
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Teenaged"]How and why should a religion be defined strictly by what its scripture says, word for word?

Simply and crudely put, why should we equate religion to scripture?Genetic_Code

It really depends on how the religion was founded. Christianity was founded on Jesus Christ who affirmed the Jewish faith. Technically, Jesus didn't affirm the New Testament as the early church did some decades later when canonizing the Bible. So, really, it's dependent on the early church. Honestly, I'm not really sure what a true Christian is, but I was always taught that it was someone who believed in the Bible. Now, a literal interpretation is not always preferred, such as when Jesus tells a parable, but it is prefered when the section of the Bible being read is being written as a historical account, such as the book of Genesis or Exodus. Although Chili might disagree with me on Genesis considering that it was transcribed by Moses and Moses arguably wasn't there to actually witness the creation of Earth and the succeeding events.

I don't know much about the history of the early church though, so someone could answer this better than I can.

The very fact you bring up speaks in favour of what I am saying. When Jesus fulfilled the Old Testament through the New Testament, he did indirectly soothened its words; from one aspect he "replaced" the Old Testament (a notion which is prevalent in the Orthodox church). Which means that at any given time a religion can change its general outlook and such changes have been accepted and have redefined the religion in spite of what the original scripture (at the time - Old Testament) dictated.

Hesiode's Cosmogonia was also written as if it were a historical account and yet we know that it isnt.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5a79221380856

[QUOTE="Genetic_Code"]Jesus says this in Luke 14:26, "If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple," which is encouraging Christians to hate their brother in order to be Jesus's disciple.ChiliDragon
Alternative translations ;)
If you want to be my disciple, you must hate everyone else by comparison-your father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters-yes, even your own life. Otherwise, you cannot be my disciple.NLT
You cannot be my disciple, unless you love me more than you love your father and mother, your wife and children, and your brothers and sisters. You cannot come with me unless you love me more than you love your own life.CEV
Interesting that you'd use the Bible as basis for your opinions of modern Christianity, given that most of modern Christianity interprets the thing as they see fit, and spends the majority of their time arguing with each other how wrong the other denominations' interpretations are. Throw in the many translations out there, a lack of access to the original texts, and using the Bible in a literal way becomes a shaky foundation at best. As a guideline and set of advice, looking at the broader context, absolutely, it is very useful. But literally, verse by verse, that's pretty much doomed to failure from the start.

Well, I like the KJV Bible to tick off the KJV-Onlyists although I don't technically own one. I own a NRSV and a NLT.

Honestly, I would say the Bible is a very bad place to start if someone is curious and wants to know what Christianity is, or is about.ChiliDragon

Without the Bible, Christianity wouldn't be a religion. It would be excessive spiritual freedom. With the Bible, it's spiritual slavery. It's a dogma that must be believed without evidence and must be protected at all costs.

Well, it was the NLT Bible that made me become a naturalist. There's much to Christianity than what is taught to children in Sunday School.