Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Story here.

Most of the rebel militias are not radical jihadists, but in the last few months there appears to have been a sharp increase in the number of foreign fighters coming to Syria.

The Syrian authorities are keen to promote the view that they are fighting an al Qaeda type force which partially explains why, after much pushing, we were allowed rare access into the jail.

Mahmoud al Ahab, who described himself as a Palestinian Syrian, told me he was in the al Nusra Front which he said was an al Qaeda group. He had sworn an oath of allegiance to al Nursa but now felt this was a mistake.

Ahmed al Rabido, a 48-year-old Syrian, said he was a religious leader, a Mufti, in the Free Syrian Army.

"I joined because I wanted to demolish the secular state... I don't believe in this anymore because the country is being ruined," he said.

Bahar al Basah, 35, another Palestinian Syrian, told me he was influenced by the writings of Abu Qatada, the radical cleric currently under house arrest in the UK.

The men only became animated when I showed a little knowledge of Salafist ideology and brought up the works of Islamists such as the Egyptian Sayyid Qutb.

Sky's Tim Marshall in Syria

This led to a question about the future of Syria's minorities such as the Christians. Ahmed, Basah, and Hamid Hassan all agreed - Christians could only live there if they either converted, or paid the 'Jizyah' - a special tax levied on non-Muslims in previous centuries in the Middle East. If not said Bahar, they could be killed.

When asked why, the answer was, to them, quite simple - because the Prophet Mohammed said so. I was then invited to become a Muslim.

The conversation verged on the surreal. There we were talking in a quite friendly manner, with the occasional joke, about killing people because they wouldn't pay the Jizyah, which critics regard as effectively obtaining money through menaces.

The interview ended with Ahmed volunteering that eventually Muslims must reclaim Andalucia in Spain for the Islamic Caliphate.

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

As raged by a bunch of captured Salafists from a Syrian prison...

"The men are not representative of the FSA, indeed many militia units are deeply suspicious of the jihadists' aims.

However, it appears that a lot of the best weapons are reaching the jihadist groups, and they are using these to gain influence and territory. 

Even if the rebels overthrow the government, they won't just have a problem dealing with militia from the minority groups, they will have problems with each other."

From the same link. 

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

This led to a question about the future of Syria's minorities such as the Christians. Ahmed, Basah, and Hamid Hassan all agreed - Christians could only live there if they either converted, or paid the 'Jizyah' - a special tax levied on non-Muslims in previous centuries in the Middle East. If not said Bahar, they could be killed.

wis3boi

If they converted, then technically, they are no longer Christians right?

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts
[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

jhcho2

If they converted, then technically, they are no longer Christians right?

What a relief!

And there was me thinking coercive conversions were potentially a bad thing.Â