chopperdave447

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 chopperdave447
Member since 2009 • 597 Posts

I am just wondering if anybody had any information about studies done linking IQ and faith of any kind (preferably christian).

thanks in advance

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#2 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

There are studies that correlate an increased level of academic achievement with a decreased level of religiosity (but which obviously say nothing of causation), but that's about it.  There's also a thing that has been floated around before that claimed a correlation between average IQ in a country and average religiosity in that country, but I personally felt that looked like BS given that it claimed that some countries' citizens had an average IQ of like 60. 

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#3 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts

There are studies that correlate an increased level of academic achievement with a decreased level of religiosity (but which obviously say nothing of causation), but that's about it.  There's also a thing that has been floated around before that claimed a correlation between average IQ in a country and average religiosity in that country, but I personally felt that looked like BS given that it claimed that some countries' citizens had an average IQ of like 60. 

GabuEx

Indeed, correlation is all there is at this point, AFAIK.

Regarding the correlation between avg. IQ and level of religious practice amongst it's citizens, it is definitely BS, and for several reasons, the most prominent being that you cannot apply a conventional IQ test across the board. The information given will be too inadequate to even form an educated opinion on the matter.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

I totally dislike such surveys/studies.

What else could they be used for, other than implicitely or explicitely offend a religious person?

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#6 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

What else could they be used for, other than implicitely or explicitely offend a religious person?

Teenaged

Maybe they could be used to show the average brainwashed theist that atheists arent some "ignorant dumbasses who have gone astray"? Exactly the way religious books refer to atheists and people actually believe in it.

And why does it matter if it offends a religious person?

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GabuEx

Gambler_3

It's not that it offends religious people so much as it has no purpose other than offending religious people.  I mean, you're not exactly going to convince a religious person that he should be an atheist by telling him that he's stupid, which is more or less the purpose of bringing up such ideas.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

GabuEx

It's not that it offends religious people so much as it has no purpose other than offending religious people.  I mean, you're not exactly going to convince a religious person that he should be an atheist by telling him that he's stupid, which is more or less the purpose of bringing up such ideas.

Pretty much.

I am very aware gambler that many things may offend people and that not all of their complains should be "respected" but in this case there is no constructive result out of it, or another point to be made which is valid and other than being valid also achieves something more than offending the other person. And the fact that those surveys are about something which is so vague and ambiguous and hard-to-define doesnt help me to see it seriously.

Surely if a theist starts making claims that atheists are dumb and ignorant then they would deserve being shown that kind of "evidence". At the very least its very satisfying throwing it at their faces. :P

But generally I see no purpose.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gambler_3

Huh my first post got moderated for "offending".

My god **** gamespot, **** it's pathetic rules, **** me, ban me I can ****ing cae now, this place is **** am off.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
Hard luck Gambler, take care mate.
Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

Teenaged

Knowledge is knowledge is knowledge.

Such a sentiment of repressing unfashionable truths is a stake right at the heart of philosophy.

MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MetalGear_Ninty
[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

GabuEx

It's not that it offends religious people so much as it has no purpose other than offending religious people. I mean, you're not exactly going to convince a religious person that he should be an atheist by telling him that he's stupid, which is more or less the purpose of bringing up such ideas.

I'd wager against that conjecture.

Isn't the search for truth itself a purpose? You can't assume that the conductor of these studies are just a bunch of angry atheist desperate to offend the theists.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GabuEx
I'd wager against that conjecture.

Isn't the search for truth itself a purpose? You can't assume that the conductor of these studies are just a bunch of angry atheist desperate to offend the theists.MetalGear_Ninty

I think I would find it very difficult to be convinced that someone who specifically asked the question of "Are atheists smarter than theists?" is just innocently searching for truth with no ulterior motive to use the answer.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

MetalGear_Ninty

Such a sentiment of repressing unfashionable truths is a stake right at the heart of philosophy.

I am not saying those surveys shouldnt be done. Oh I get it. You took my phrase "I totally dislike such...." at face value. Anyway I was hoping the exaggerated tone gave away that I didnt mean it at face value. Lets clarify.

Immediately when I saw the thread I thought about atheists/agnostics looking for yet another thing to just rub it in the theists face. And I'll be honest: like I said before I would take pleasure out of doing that to specific theists or specific types of them but thats about it and thats where the point is. I would want to show it to those theists because they piss me off. But simultaneously I think that I know of theists who dont piss me off. On the contrary; they are great people whoare smart and I appreciate them.

In the context of using a survey to piss off the person who pisses you off you are actually making an intentional generalised statement which aims in infuriating the other person; part of that fury will come from the fact that the survey is thrown at him in which doesnt really imply that the person throwing it is having the best or the most unbiased of intentions.

And this is where its a "deal-breaker" for me.

MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MetalGear_Ninty
[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]I'd wager against that conjecture.

Isn't the search for truth itself a purpose? You can't assume that the conductor of these studies are just a bunch of angry atheist desperate to offend the theists.GabuEx

I think I would find it very difficult to be convinced that someone who specifically asked the question of "Are atheists smarter than theists?" is just innocently searching for truth with no ulterior motive to use the answer.

Ah, but the question posed there is loaded. If the researcher had indeed posed the question like that, then her motives may become suspect.

If however, the question was posed "Is there a correlation between faith and IQ?", then the motives of the surveyor would be much less suspect, and after all, that is what is being suggested by the OP, no?

Indeed, the intent may be the reverse to what you said, and the researcher may intend to discover a positive correlation between IQ and levels of religiosity/faith, or even to show that there is no correlation at all.

MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MetalGear_Ninty
[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]

Teenaged

I am not saying those surveys shouldnt be done. Oh I get it. You took my phrase "I totally dislike such...." at face value. Anyway I was hoping the exaggerated tone gave away that I didnt mean it at face value. Lets clarify.

Immediately when I saw the thread I thought about atheists/agnostics looking for yet another thing to just rub it in the theists face. And I'll be honest: like I said before I would take pleasure out of doing that to specific theists or specific types of them but thats about it and thats where the point is. I would want to show it to those theists because they piss me off. But simultaneously I think that I know of theists who dont piss me off. On the contrary; they are great people whoare smart and I appreciate them.

In the context of using a survey to piss off the person who pisses you off you are actually making an intentional generalised statement which aims in infuriating the other person; part of that fury will come from the fact that the survey is thrown at him in which doesnt really imply that the person throwing it is having the best or the most unbiased of intentions.

If you didn't intend that comment to be taken at face value, then you didn't make that clear at all. As for exaggerated tone, the only evidence for that, which isn't very strong, is the word 'totally', otherwise, there is nothing in your statment that indicates your supposed intent.

Again, both you and Gabu are kind of assuming that the study must be carried out to prove the alleged lack of intelligence of those with faith -- that isn't necessarily true -- it can work both ways.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]

MetalGear_Ninty

If you didn't intend that comment to be taken at face value, then you didn't make that clear at all. As for exaggerated tone, the only evidence for tht word, which isn't very strong, is the word 'totally', otherwise, there is nothing in your statment that indicates your supposed intent.

Again, both you and Gabu are kind of assuming that the study must be carried out to prove the alleged lack of intelligence of those with faith -- that isn't necessarily true -- it can work both ways.

Although you could have asked for clarification, I didnt accuse you of anything cause it didnt bother me. I had no problem clarifying and thats why I went ahead and fully explained why I said what I said and how I meant it. :S

Well, in the awsome debates that are carried out in OT, you know, "official" data like surveys/studies are preffered, and I dont think that someone would cite such a survey in an occassion other than a debate-like discussion. So yes, a survey does have more gravity than a mere claim. Unless you mean that there are other ways to prove it.

I dont understand what you mean by "it can work both ways". EDIT: I got it now.

MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MetalGear_Ninty
[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"][QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]

Teenaged

If you didn't intend that comment to be taken at face value, then you didn't make that clear at all. As for exaggerated tone, the only evidence for tht word, which isn't very strong, is the word 'totally', otherwise, there is nothing in your statment that indicates your supposed intent.

Although you could have asked for clarification, I didnt accuse you of anything cause it didnt bother me. I had no problem clarifying and thats why I went ahead and fully explained why I said what I said and how I meant it. :S

Well, in the awsome debates that are carried out in OT, you know, "official" data like surveys/studies are preffered, and I dont think that someone would cite such a survey in an occassion other than a debate-like discussion. So yes, a survey does have more gravity than a mere claim. Unless you mean that there are other ways to prove it.

I dont understand what you mean by "it can work both ways".

Your statement wasn't ambiguous, so I didn't think it needed clarification. I can't go around asking everyody to clarify thier posts on the half-chance that they may have meant something different to what they posted.:?

Sorry, my last post was ambiguous, and you've justifiably misinterpreted. I mean that a researcher could conduct a survey to try and show that theists are on general more intelligent than atheists, or indeed that there is no correlation between IQ and faith. In this case, such a survey, couldn't possibly be seen as an attack on theists.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Teenaged
Your statement wasn't ambiguous, so I didn't think it needed clarification. I can't go around asking everyody to clarify thier posts on the half-chance that they may have meant something different to what they posted.:?

Sorry, my last post was ambiguous, and you've justifiably misinterpreted. I mean that a researcher could conduct a survey to try and show that theists are on general more intelligent than atheists, or indeed that there is no correlation between IQ and faith. In this case, such a survey, couldn't possibly be seen as an attack on theists.

MetalGear_Ninty

Idk, when I see a post of someone -whose I have seen many posts- which is not to their "styIe" (or the appearance of it isnt), I would think that I may be missing something.

And dont get so ticked off. I didnt accuse you of anything. Like I said I have no problem clarifying. :S

Yeah I got that last bit about "it can go both ways" just a few seconds before you responded.

And yes that is true but given the context (the union in which we are posting, the OP (which is interested in surveys where Christians are included) etc) I personally have little doubt that the surveys in search herewerent going to be used to defend theists.

MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MetalGear_Ninty
[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]Your statement wasn't ambiguous, so I didn't think it needed clarification. I can't go around asking everyody to clarify thier posts on the half-chance that they may have meant something different to what they posted.:?

Teenaged

Idk, when I see a post of someone -whose I have seen many posts- which is not to their "styIe" (or the appearance of it isnt), I would think that I may be missing something.

And dont get so ticked off. I didnt accuse you of anything. Like I said I have no problem clarifying. :S

But that posts of yours wasn't contrary to your style of posting.

Also, I don't see why you feel I'm 'ticked-off' so to speak, or that I accused you of accusing me of anything. Why do I feel you're trying to put words in my mouth?

MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MetalGear_Ninty

And yes that is true but given the context (the union in which we are posting, the OP (which is interested in surveys where Christians are included) etc) I personally have little doubt that the surveys in search herewerent going to be used to defend theists.

Teenaged
A large section of this union is concerned with Christian apologism, and a defence of faith in general, and thus I think it is not quite accurate to assume that a topic created is inherently 'anti-theistic' so to speak.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]Your statement wasn't ambiguous, so I didn't think it needed clarification. I can't go around asking everyody to clarify thier posts on the half-chance that they may have meant something different to what they posted.:?

MetalGear_Ninty

Also, I don't see why you feel I'm 'ticked-off' so to speak, or that I accused you of accusing me of anything. Why do I feel you're trying to put words in my mouth?

Dont you think that phrase is overused?

I cant even stretch my imagination far enough to see where you felt that I put words in your mouth....

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

MetalGear_Ninty

A large section of this union is concerned with Christian apologism, and a defence of faith in general, and thus I think it is not quite accurate to assume that a topic created is inherently 'anti-theistic' so to speak.

The smallest part.

And you are ignoring the context of the thread itself. My point was not only in regards to the union.

I think you are defending the issue too much if you will go that far to actually claim that there are no anti-theistic intentions behind asking for such surveys in such a union in such manner.

MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MetalGear_Ninty

[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"][QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]Your statement wasn't ambiguous, so I didn't think it needed clarification. I can't go around asking everyody to clarify thier posts on the half-chance that they may have meant something different to what they posted.:?

Teenaged

Dont you think that phrase is overused?

I cant even stretch my imagination far enough to see where you felt that I put words in your mouth....

How about when you implied that I was accusing you of something?
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MetalGear_Ninty

Teenaged

The smallest part.

And you are ignoring the context of the thread itself. My point was not only in regards to the union.

I think you are defending the issue too much if you will go that far to actually claim that there are no anti-theistic intentions behind asking for such surveys in such a union in such manner.

I never said what you are claiming. All I'm saying is that a survey doesn't necessarily have to be anti-theistic, not that a survey would definitely have no ulterior motives.

Look, you're arguing too, does that mean you're defending your position too much too?

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gambler_3

Teenaged

The smallest part.

Not that small, this union hardly feels like an "atheism union", people over here have way too much irrational respect for religion.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Teenaged

How about when you implied that I was accusing you of something?MetalGear_Ninty
I... implied... that you... accused me of something.....? Really.....?

The only thing that I said that barely comes close to this (merely due to wording) is "I didnt accuse you of anything." And that was me saying it to you because I interpreted your tone like you were ticked off and tried to show you that theres no need to.

Unless you took my interpretation of your tone as an implied accusation.

In which case... wow.

MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MetalGear_Ninty

Oh my post was actually moderated for "trolling".:lol:

Ah incase someone's missed it, this is the "trolling" post.

Do you even need any studies?

There are dozens of different belief systems which flatly contradict each other and yet the majority of the world believes in the religion that they were "born" in? When you include the entirety of human history than the amount of contradictory belief systems goes in the thousands. The probablities of being born in the "right" religion are extremely low even ignoring the probablities of all the religions being "wrong".

I consider it extremely foolish to believe in a personal god after being exposed to all sides of the argument, does it mean that all people who believe in one are foolish? Not at all cuz there are several different reasons why people believe in god apart from logic and reasoning. Irrational fear. need for emotional comfort, having been indoctrinated in a way that it's very difficult to come out etc etc. All these things have nothing to do with intelligence in my opinion.

But the problem is that most religious people dont even bother to discover the reason of their existence, they lack hunger and the desire to know the "truth". Now is that something to do with intelligence? Well I dont know but there is surely something "lacking".

I have absolutely no doubt that an average atheist has a higher average IQ than an average christian.

I wonder whoz the insecure lurker wo reports me and then whoz the insecure mod who has absolutely no answer to my points and can only slap a moderation.:lol:

[QUOTE="domatron23"]Hard luck Gambler, take care mate.Gambler_3

I aint going anywhere but I would prolly get banned soon from gamespot if the bias continues to go against me and because I wouldnt bog down on my style.

I sympathise, but if you're post was deemed s 'trolling' then you're not really in a position to repeat that post in this topic.

If you think the moderation was unfair (I didn't mod it by the way), then try disputing it at 'Ask the mods'.

I won't edit your post, but I'll warn you if a GS mod sees that, then they're at liberty to mod that post too. Your choice.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]

MetalGear_Ninty

The smallest part.

I never said what you are claiming. All I'm saying is that a survey doesn't necessarily have to be anti-theistic, not that a survey would definitely have no ulterior motives.

Look, you're arguing too, does that mean you're defending your position too much too?

I clarified in my very first response to you that I am not talking about the surveys themselves but the way the way that i have seen them used. I have never seen a survey linking high IQs with religious people and deffinitely never saw any theist present anything of the sort in an argument.

I didnt conclude from the length of the discussion or your persistance that you are defending your position too much.

But that you are doing so because you do not aknowledge that the broad context has importance in this occassion.

MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MetalGear_Ninty

[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]How about when you implied that I was accusing you of something?Teenaged

The only thing that I said that barely comes close to this (merely due to wording) is "I didnt accuse you of anything." And that was me saying it to you because I interpreted your tone like you were ticked off and tried to show you that theres no need to.

In which case... wow.

It is what it is. Really, I'm not too fussed whether you implied something or not.

MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MetalGear_Ninty
[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"][QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]

Teenaged

The smallest part.

I clarified in my very first response to you that I am not talking about the surveys themselves but the way the way that i have seen them used. I have never seen a survey linking high IQs with religious people and deffinitely never saw any theist present anything of the sort in an argument.

I didnt conclude from the length of the discussion or your persistance that you are defending your position too much.

But that you are doing so because you do not aknowledge that the broad context has importance in this occassion.

I'm not trying to deny the importance of context, but I don't see how that changes much in this discussion. Just because some people link atheism with high intelligence does not necessarily mean that someone cannot conduct a surveying conveying the opposite trend, or no correlation at all.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]How about when you implied that I was accusing you of something?MetalGear_Ninty

In which case... wow.

It is what it is. Really, I'm not too fussed whether you implied something or not.

What is what it is?

Yes I see you arent fussed after its obvious that I didnt.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Teenaged
I'm not trying to deny the importance of context, but I don't see how that changes much in this discussion. Just because some people link atheism with high intelligence does not necessarily mean that someone cannot conduct a surveying conveying the opposite trend, or no correlation at all.MetalGear_Ninty
Again for the third (?) time I am not talking about the intention behind conducting such a survey but intentions behind seeking to dig out such a survey and then presenting it.

In which case the context matters and does change much in this discussion.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Gambler_3

Why does no one ever care about atheists getting offended??

The bible and quran so openly talk about atheists rotting in hell for all eternity, they talk about all atheists being totally blind and ignorant. Why the **** should I show even a dime of respect to a religion which thinks so "highly" of me?:roll:

I am sorry gabu and teenaged, it seems extremely puzzling to me how you people cant see the obvious logical fallicies in giving religion any undue respect.

@MGN. I have posted a topic in the ask the mods, I know it's not allowed to post but I dont care cuz there's nothing wrong with it. It's upto gamespot what they want, if they want to ban me than so be it I guess.

MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MetalGear_Ninty

[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]How about when you implied that I was accusing you of something?Teenaged

In which case... wow.

What is what it is?

Yes I see you arent after its obvious that I didnt.

You're comment: 'Don't get ticked off. I didn't accuse you of anything' is, as I see it, an attempt to paint me out as somehow angry, and furious in this discussion.

I found that very odd seeing as in the previous post of mine I posted: 'Sorry, my post was ambiguous, and you justifiably misinterpreted' which pretty much shows that I haven't been angry during this debate.

MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MetalGear_Ninty
[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]I'm not trying to deny the importance of context, but I don't see how that changes much in this discussion. Just because some people link atheism with high intelligence does not necessarily mean that someone cannot conduct a surveying conveying the opposite trend, or no correlation at all.Teenaged
Again for the third (?) time I am not talking about the intention behind conducting such a survey but intentions behind seeking to dig out such a survey and then presenting it.

The intention to show that there is no correlation between faith and IQ perhaps?
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Teenaged

The bible and quran so openly talk about atheists rotting in hell for all eternity, they talk about all atheists being totally blind and ignorant. Why the **** should I show even a dime of respect to a religion which thinks so "highly" of me?:roll:

I am sorry gabu and teenaged, it seems extremely puzzling to me how you people cant see the obvious logical fallicies in giving religion any undue respect.

@MGN. I have posted a topic in the ask the mods, I know it's not allowed to post but I dont care cuz there's nothing wrong with it. It's upto gamespot what they want, if they want to ban me than so be it I guess.

Gambler_3

The thing is that I dont give respect to religion by default. Some religious people deserve respect and others dont deserve an ounce of it.

Such a survey though speaks for all of them. Not just the ones I dont hold respect for.

And dont get me wrong, I am not so passionate about those surveys being posted. I dont care enough to go out of my way or to tell you that you shouldnt post them.

I just posted how I, personally, wouldnt like to use them. I am in no way dictating what others should do.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Teenaged
You're comment: 'Don't get ticked off. I didn't accuse you of anything' is, as I see it, an attempt to paint me out as somehow angry, and furious in this discussion.

I found that very odd seeing as in the previous post of mine I posted: 'Sorry, my post was ambiguous, and you justifiably misinterpreted' which pretty much shows that I haven't been angry during this debate.

MetalGear_Ninty
No I didnt intend to paint you as the bad guy of the discussion. I just felt bad in case I had given you the impression that I am accusing you of something and wanted to make my position clear.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]I'm not trying to deny the importance of context, but I don't see how that changes much in this discussion. Just because some people link atheism with high intelligence does not necessarily mean that someone cannot conduct a surveying conveying the opposite trend, or no correlation at all.MetalGear_Ninty

The intention to show that there is no correlation between faith and IQ perhaps?

Which is not as likely as the intention to show that there is a correlation (in regards to posting the surveys, not carrying them out), given the broad context.
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MetalGear_Ninty

No I didnt intend to paint you as the bad guy of the discussion. I just felt bad in case I had given you the impression that I am accusing you of something and wanted to make my position clear.Teenaged

Then this appears to be a misunderstanding.

Hmmm, I don't know what it is but me and you haven't seemed to be on the same wavelength recently, which has lead to many misunderstandings.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]No I didnt intend to paint you as the bad guy of the discussion. I just felt bad in case I had given you the impression that I am accusing you of something and wanted to make my position clear.MetalGear_Ninty

Hmmm, I don't know what it is but me and you haven't seemed to be on the same wavelength recently, which has lead to many misunderstandings.

Yes I have been more abrasive and non-diplomatic recently, I'll give you that.
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MetalGear_Ninty
[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]No I didnt intend to paint you as the bad guy of the discussion. I just felt bad in case I had given you the impression that I am accusing you of something and wanted to make my position clear.Teenaged

Yes I have been more abrasive and non-diplomatic recently, I'll give you that.

Same for me.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Gambler_3
[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

Teenaged

The thing is that I dont give respect to religion by default. Some religious people deserve respect and others dont deserve an ounce of it.

Such a survey though speaks for all of them. Not just the ones I dont hold respect for.

And dont get me wrong, I am not so passionate about those surveys being posted. I dont care enough to go out of my way or to tell you that you shouldnt post them.

I just posted how I, personally, wouldnt like to use them. I am in no way dictating what others should do.

It is "average" IQ. It doesnt specifically target anyONE.

So are you against all forms of generalising cuz they almost always end up not applicable to some people who happen to fall in that general group?:?

The average income of a poor third world country might be offensive to some of their citizens who happen to earn much more than that?:shock:

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Teenaged
It is "average" IQ. It doesnt specifically target anyONE.

So are you against all forms of generalising cuz they almost always end up not applicable to some people who happen to fall in that general group?:?

The average income of a poor third world country might be offensive to some of their citizens who happen to earn much more than that?:shock:

Gambler_3

No again I am not doing it in order to avoid generalisations for the sake of being impartial/accurate/not offensive.

Call me overly suspicious, call me paranoid but I believe that the intentions behind posting something like that is to annoy. And yes I may be hypocritical here since I too would like to use that survey if I wanted to piss someone off and have implicitely offended others in debates by being sarcastic, overly-suggestive etc. Perhaps I draw a line somewhere, but even that wouldnt be enough to rid the impression of a hypocrite. I am not in the mood to psychoanalyse myself further in order to understand why and how I draw the line right now.

Simply put, for me, personally, "attacking" someone's intellectual capacity in such a pretentiously official manner is not for me.

And that, reinforced with (as I mentioned in the first page) my belief that intellectuality is something vague and ambiguous and a trait that I wouldnt feel comfortable with connecting it to any religious status. To me that sounds deterministic and absolute.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
Um, this union was much more warm and friendly before I took my hiatus a while back. Can't we just all get along...? :? I didn't read the survey, but I think it's one of those surveys that "certain people" (don't read too much into that!) are going to try to use to prove that they are smarter than those they disagree with. That's human nature, since all people in the end are stupid jerks. :P However. Unless the reason for why the researcher wanted to conduct the survey are published in said survey, I'm willing to give them the benefit of doubt. They wouldn't be the first, nor the last, to pursue knowledge just for the sake of knowledge. Honestly, abusing their survey results to bash either theists or atheists is a bit disrespectful to them.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Gambler_3

Um, this union was much more warm and friendly before I took my hiatus a while back. Can't we just all get along...? :?ChiliDragon
There are people over here who follow religions which so openly talk about atheists rotting in hell and being ignorant to the reality.

Yet these people expect atheists to be a little less abrasive towards religion.:roll:

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ChiliDragon
There are people over here who follow religions which so openly talk about atheists rotting in hell and being ignorant to the reality. Yet these people expect atheists to be a little less abrasive towards religion.:roll:Gambler_3
Really? Who? Now, I know that you're not talking about me or Gabu, because we have better manners than that, so you must be talking about a bunch of new member who arrived after I went on sabbatical a few months ago :P
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]There are people over here who follow religions which so openly talk about atheists rotting in hell and being ignorant to the reality. Yet these people expect atheists to be a little less abrasive towards religion.:roll:ChiliDragon
Really? Who? Now, I know that you're not talking about me or Gabu, because we have better manners than that, so you must be talking about a bunch of new member who arrived after I went on sabbatical a few months ago :P

Gabu and foxhound have complained about my abrasive attitude towards religion. 

Gabu is a christian and I cant see how a rational christian can get turned off by abrasiveness when their own holy book talks about some of the most vile things in history.

Foxhound is an atheist but seems to have alot of love for hinduism and didnt like it that I was being so anti-hinduism.

Ghokle also seemed to have some problems with my anti-islam stance but I dont really consider him an intellectual so it doesnt really matter.

Btw I wasnt talking about a specific member saying that atheists will rot in hell but the religions that they follow had such a doctrine. I mean really jesus and muhammad can call atheists dumb ignorant people disguising it as "god's infallible word" and it's all cool but if an atheist says the opposite then he is all hateful terrible guy.:roll:

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ChiliDragon
Can't imagine why anyone would see a need to complain about your attitude... You're a model citizen of hostility and bitter anger! :D It amuses me that you see no need whatsoever to be respectful towards people who disagree with you. Are you sure that you're not actually provoking the hostile behavior that seems to offend you so much? :)