So, how can people prove that god is real?

warrenmats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

User Lists: 0

#1 warrenmats
Member since 2008 • 2247 Posts
no seriously, they never saw him ._.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
no seriously, they never saw him ._.warrenmats
They can't. If they could, it wouldn't be a matter of faith. I can't prove that I love my husband either. But since that's a matter between him and me, it doesn't really matter that much to anyone else, now does it? ;)
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#3 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts
There are a lot of things we can't see, but nonetheless take to exist on account of what we see as other evidence in favor of its existence.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ChiliDragon
There are a lot of things we can't see, but nonetheless take to exist on account of what we see as other evidence in favor of its existence.GabuEx
I can't prove that I love my husband either. ChiliDragon
Case in point.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
I can't prove that I love my husband either.ChiliDragon
Well, arguably you could, a priori, but you wouldn't be able to prove it to anyone else.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

Ever seen an atom before?

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ChiliDragon
[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]I can't prove that I love my husband either.Funky_Llama
Well, arguably you could, a priori, but you wouldn't be able to prove it to anyone else.

How? I could be pretending I love him, acting as if I do, while trying to figure out how to get rid of him in a way that is untraceable enough I am guaranteed to get that life insurance money... Joking, joking! (In case he reads this :P) If he's not willing to believe that I love him, or at least remains open to the possibility, I can't prove it to him either. If he thinks I do, then he will take my actions and words as enough proof that it maintains the belief that I do love him. But proving that what I feel for him is genuine...? How on earth would a person do that?
Stryder1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Stryder1212
Member since 2005 • 114 Posts

Well.. If there were some definitive proof ofagod out there, I'm sure that the Church would have found it by now.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]I can't prove that I love my husband either.ChiliDragon

How? I could be pretending I love him, acting as if I do, while trying to figure out how to get rid of him in a way that is untraceable enough I am guaranteed to get that life insurance money... Joking, joking! (In case he reads this :P) If he's not willing to believe that I love him, or at least remains open to the possibility, I can't prove it to him either. If he thinks I do, then he will take my actions and words as enough proof that it maintains the belief that I do love him. But proving that what I feel for him is genuine...? How on earth would a person do that?

Sure, but if you're pretending to know him, you'd know, right?
warrenmats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 warrenmats

[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]I can't prove that I love my husband either.Funky_Llama

how can u not prove that u love ur husband

do u not love him?

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GabuEx

do u not love him?

warrenmats

She means, proving it to anyone else.

warrenmats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 warrenmats
[QUOTE="warrenmats"]

do u not love him?

GabuEx

oh sorry

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ChiliDragon
[QUOTE="warrenmats"]

do u not love him?

GabuEx

Exactly! :)
[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]How? I could be pretending I love him, acting as if I do, while trying to figure out how to get rid of him in a way that is untraceable enough I am guaranteed to get that life insurance money... Joking, joking! (In case he reads this :P) If he's not willing to believe that I love him, or at least remains open to the possibility, I can't prove it to him either. If he thinks I do, then he will take my actions and words as enough proof that it maintains the belief that I do love him. But proving that what I feel for him is genuine...? How on earth would a person do that?Funky_Llama

Granted, I would. However, no matter how much I love him I would still not be able to prove it to someone who wasn't willing to believe it.
warrenmats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 warrenmats
O_O
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GabuEx

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Sure, but if you're pretending to know him, you'd know, right?
ChiliDragon
Granted, I would. However, no matter how much I love him I would still not be able to prove it to someone who wasn't willing to believe it.

Actually, you might not. Subconsciously, you would in some sense, but at least for a period of time people can often not really fully know how they feel about something. Humans are pretty darn good at fooling themselves on the conscious level.

So you might not even be able to prove it to yourself. :P

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ChiliDragon

[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Sure, but if you're pretending to know him, you'd know, right?
GabuEx

Actually, you might not. Subconsciously, you would in some sense, but at least for a period of time people can often not really fully know how they feel about something. Humans are pretty darn good at fooling themselves on the conscious level.

So you might not even be able to prove it to yourself. :P

You mean my subconscious is fooling me into thinking I love this guy, to keep me from being miserable in my marriage? That's a good point, that could be happening. It's a good thing I'm secure and happy, or this discussion could lead to all sorts of marital problems... :D
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GabuEx

You mean my subconscious is fooling me into thinking I love this guy, to keep me from being miserable in my marriage? That's a good point, that could be happening.

It's a good thing I'm secure and happy, or this discussion could lead to all sorts of marital problems... :DChiliDragon

:lol: Best be glad Jim ain't a member of this union... :P

But yeah. That's really what faith is: you can't prove something, but you have enough trust to act upon the idea that it's true anyway.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ChiliDragon

[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]You mean my subconscious is fooling me into thinking I love this guy, to keep me from being miserable in my marriage? That's a good point, that could be happening.

It's a good thing I'm secure and happy, or this discussion could lead to all sorts of marital problems... :DGabuEx

:lol: Best be glad Jim ain't a member of this union... :P

But yeah. That's really what faith is: you can't prove something, but you have enough trust to act upon the idea that it's true anyway.

It also means that as long as I know that I am happy in my marriage, it doesn't matter what others think about it, or about marriage as a concept or institution. Because their opinions are just opinions, and if they were allowed to influence whether I am happily married or not, that's a problem on my end, not on theirs. And yes, that was fully intended to be a jab at any overly defensive Christian out there. Your faith should be strong enough that it can withstand that, and more. ;)
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Funky_Llama
Granted, I would. However, no matter how much I love him I would still not be able to prove it to someone who wasn't willing to believe it.ChiliDragon
Well, that's why I slipped in that admission that you wouldn't be able to prove it to anyone else. :P Still, you can know it to be true, ie prove it to yourself.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ChiliDragon
[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]Granted, I would. However, no matter how much I love him I would still not be able to prove it to someone who wasn't willing to believe it.Funky_Llama
Well, that's why I slipped in that admission that you wouldn't be able to prove it to anyone else. :P Still, you can know it to be true, ie prove it to yourself.

Unless I just want it to be true to badly that I fool myself into thinking it's true, while in fact I'm just terrified of dying single, desperate and despised as a failed woman, using a successful career to distract the world from what a failure she really is... :P Nah, just kidding. And no, I can probably not prove it to anyone else. Fortunately, I don't need to. :)
SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts
They say that they have "faith" thats why they believe in god. Without faith you don't believe in nothing.
Stryder1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Stryder1212
Member since 2005 • 114 Posts

Without faith you don't believe in nothing.SSBFan12

That is the zealous Christian view of things, not everyone's.

cjdaweasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 cjdaweasel
Member since 2004 • 1560 Posts
"People" shouldn't have to prove that god is real. The omniscient all-powerful creater of the universe should be able to come up with something better than the current evidence if he wants himself known.