btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 0

#1 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
Let me start off with I'm all for freedom of religion, as well as freedom from religion. I have been fascinated by the workings of the US government and politics since 8th or 9th grade (1987 :( ). With that said I have never seen an administration try to push their religious beliefs on people and policies as much as this one. I'd love to see a Buddhist or Hindu in the Oval Office to see how quickly the Christian Right in this country would reverse course. Now every candidate must show up for a photo opp in church weekly, or risk loosing a huge base. Point being I would like to see this go away, and even the candidate I support, Obama, has worried me recently with some of his announcements. When do you all think this new candidate/must love god gained so much traction? I think it is recent, in 2000 with Bush, now what can be done and how long do you all think this will continue.
STWELCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 STWELCH
Member since 2005 • 4805 Posts
If Obama really believes in the theology of Reinhold Niebuhr and Paul Tillich, he won't be a Bible thumping, fire and brimstone Christian.
sleepychicken5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 sleepychicken5
Member since 2005 • 1224 Posts
I'm all for the separation of church and state, but the virtual requirement for candidates to be Christians is in my opinion inevitable, and simply a result of the way our country works. If an atheist truly thinks they can win the election openly non-religious than I support him to go for it, but if a large portion of the country's Christians are worried of what would happen if they chose to make an atheist the most powerful man in the country, then I can't see that person winning the election. And frankly, I think that's the case. It's one of the flaws of a democratic republic.
felixlynch777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 felixlynch777
Member since 2008 • 1787 Posts

There are two things that a presidential candidate can do to lose an election. One is saying he is a child murderer. The other is saying that he is a non-Christian.

Avatar image for ElectronicMagic
ElectronicMagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ElectronicMagic
Member since 2005 • 5412 Posts
I agree, I was supporting Obama before I heard that he supports President Bush's "faith based initiatives". I have noticed that Clinton was also religious, he wasn't as bad about it as President Bush, but it was still there underneath the surface. I don't know what could be done to change this in the future, I doubt it will ever change in my lifetime. There is only one Atheist in congress as far as I know. The fact that the two candidates had to do that forum at that church yesterday is disconcerting. I might still vote for Obama, I might look past what he has said about religion and the faith based initiatives and vote for him just to help him beat McCain, who I think is completely crazy.
JLCrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JLCrogue
Member since 2004 • 6042 Posts
Fascism will come to the U.S. in the form of a flag wrapped around the cross.
felixlynch777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 felixlynch777

Fascism will come to the U.S. in the form of a flag wrapped around the cross.JLCrogue

Strangely enough that is the banner of the Christian Political party union.

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts
When voting for someone, religion should not even be mentioned. Voting for someone because of their religious stance is a poor thing for your country
felixlynch777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 felixlynch777

When voting for someone, religion should not even be mentioned. Voting for someone because of their religious stance is a poor thing for your countryTHUMPTABLE

I remember seeing a survey that showed that only 10% of Americans would vote for an atheist president.

JLCrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JLCrogue
Member since 2004 • 6042 Posts

[QUOTE="THUMPTABLE"]When voting for someone, religion should not even be mentioned. Voting for someone because of their religious stance is a poor thing for your countryfelixlynch777

I remember seeing a survey that showed that only 10% of Americans would vote for an atheist president.

I remember a statistic that showed over 50% of Americans wouldn't trust an atheist as president. They're so narrow-minded that they assume all atheists are nihilists too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

I support Obama's faith-based initiatives, but I really think he's just pandering to the religious. Who knows? Obama's Two-Face.

sleepychicken5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sleepychicken5
Member since 2005 • 1224 Posts
Too bad harvey dent isn't running for president. I'd like to see him call the action in the recent russo-georgian with the flip of a half-burnt coin. Plus, Putin might be a little intimidated by a guy who's had half his face burnt off.