RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

Not really, he hastily back-tracked when pressed. But he did say they could be used on a case by case basis in exceptional circumstances - male prostitution, for instance. Just as long as its not used as a contraceptive for women!

pope thinking about contraception  

His comments were welcomed by some, but  played down by the Vatican. Is he warming to the use of condoms as a way to decrease suffering, or is he showing the Catholic church's feelings as to the activities, health and welfare of male prostitutes?

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

He is ok with male prostitution? :?

Perhaps it has escaped him, but male prostitutes will have sex with women in which case the condom will be a contraceptive for women.

He also refers to the church as a "she"?

EDIT: After reading the link, RationalAtheist can you quote which part he mentions male prostitution, because I cannot find it.

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RationalAtheist

He is ok with male prostitution? :?

Perhaps it has escaped him, but male prostitutes will have sex with women in which case the condom will be a contraceptive for women.

He also refers to the church as a "she"?

EDIT: After reading the link, RationalAtheist can you quote which part he mentions male prostitution, because I cannot find it.

Teenaged

Of course!

Here's a quote from the main article - 11 paragraphs down:

"There may be a basis in the case of some individuals, as perhaps when a male prostitute uses a condom, where this can be a first step in the direction of a moralization, a first assumption of responsibility, on the way toward recovering an awareness that not everything is allowed and that one cannot do whatever one wants. But it is not really the way to deal with the evil of HIV infection." 

I think the Pope was referring to male homosexual prostitution, rather than male heterosexual prostitution!

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

God I completely missed that even though I read it all. >__>

Anyway the whole answer he gave is full of vague labels: sometimes he uses negative labels for condom usage based on vague reasons and at other times he supports them with equally vague reasons.

It seems to me that both politicians and religious leaders usually are incapable of speaking to the point and not whatever comes to their head that might sound relevant.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#5 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

Teenaged
Surely Ctrl+f is your friend....:P
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RationalAtheist

Anyway the whole answer he gave is full of vague labels: sometimes he uses negative labels for condom usage based on vague reasons and at other times he supports them with equally vague reasons.

It seems to me that both politicians and religious leaders usually are incapable of speaking to the point and not whatever comes to their head that might sound relevant.

Teenaged

Quite right. I resent him for applying moral relativism to AIDS and homosexuality - it seems quite out of character for such a harbinger of absolutism. But I resent him more for his muddled words raising - then dashing hope for the huge number of people who are looking for a change of view from the Catholic church on condoms.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Eh... my comment from the other Catholic Church thread still stands. This antiquated royalty is grasping at straws from an empty container. They need to just give up and return all the money they've taken from the community over the past centuries.
michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
The Vatican may not want to admit it, but this is the first time that any Pope has ever even considered the use of contraceptives in any situation, which is radical (and ironic, as the current Pope is very traditionalist). Although the Pope essentially still holds the same views on contraceptives, he has perhaps sparked the beginning of the Catholic Church's transition towards public opinion on the use of contraceptives.
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RationalAtheist

The Vatican may not want to admit it, but this is the first time that any Pope has ever even considered the use of contraceptives in any situation, which is radical (and ironic, as the current Pope is very traditionalist). Although the Pope essentially still holds the same views on contraceptives, he has perhaps sparked the beginning of the Catholic Church's transition towards public opinion on the use of contraceptives.michaelP4

Let's hope! 

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RationalAtheist

@Teenaged:

This might interest you (from a linguistics angle):

"The Pope's meaning was questioned because the Italian translation of the book used the feminine form of the word for prostitute, whereas the original German used the masculine.

Vatican spokesman Father Federico Lombardi said he had personally asked the Pope if there was a serious, important problem in the choice of the masculine over the feminine.

"He told me 'No'," Fr Lombardi said. "The problem is this... It's the first step of taking responsibility, of taking into consideration the risk of the life of another with whom you have a relationship."

"This is if you're a woman, a man, or a transsexual," he added."

(from here

It sounds like another change of mind, but for the better, I think.