THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2354 Posts

A bit off topic, but was interested as to what you guys thought on this, particularly the Americans. Is it to stringent or to lax?

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#2 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
I think it's ok the way it is.  Just enforce the laws.  I do not and never will own any guns, but I think we have a right to.  But surely the founding fathers had no idea that semi-automatics would be available.  In a perfect world, seeing how much gun violence I've seen I wish there were none, but that's not going to happen.  Good ? Thumptable.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
I'm a bit of a moderate on this one. Guns are dangerous and while it is true that it is the individual that murders another, guns makes the killings more accessible. I think that anyone with a criminal record should not be allowed to have guns. I don't think citizens should have rights to guns. I think they should have privileges, and these privileges should be able to be taken away from them.
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts

I'm not familiar with this subject. But what I will say though, is that guns make it much easier to kill someone. One shot to the head with a bullet and you're dead, whereas with another type of weapon the victim might actually stand a chance at defending themselves.

Over here in Britain guns are only allowed to people who have a firearm/shotgun certificate. But the only way you can get one of these, I believe, is if you can prove you need it for a legitimate reason. Nine times out of ten, to protect what you're storing for your business - i.e your business's goods, etc.

I like how the Law stands on guns at the moment, at least over here, anyway. :) 

Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

I think it is extremely unfortunate that a culture of gun ownership has been ingrained in American society.

Once you're at that stage, it is pretty hard to go back. Having said that, I do think gun control should be tighter in the US.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 btaylor2404

I think it is extremely unfortunate that a culture of gun ownership has been ingrained in American society.

Once you're at that stage, it is pretty hard to go back. Having said that, I do think gun control should be tighter in the US.

MetalGear_Ninty

Your exactly right.  Americans think, at about the age of 5, that they have every right to an AR-15, just becasue of the Constitution that has been, and should again be amended.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

Your exactly right.  Americans think, at about the age of 5, that they have every right to an AR-15, just becasue of the Constitution that has been, and should again be amended.

btaylor2404

I completely agree with this. Guns are taught as though they are just toys. I think this is wrong.

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 THUMPTABLE
To me an outsider, (Downunder) it seems bizarre that the Yanks are happy to go around killing each other as long as they have their right to bear arms. The US has the highest gun related murders in the western world by long way, surely it can't be anything else other than the very lax gun control.
Avatar image for AlternatingCaps
AlternatingCaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AlternatingCaps
Member since 2007 • 1714 Posts
[QUOTE="btaylor2404"]

Your're exactly right.  Americans think, at about the age of 5, that they have every right to an AR-15, just becasue of the Constitution that has been, and should again be amended.

Genetic_Code

I completely agree with this. Guns are taught as though they are just toys. I think this is wrong.

That grammatical error always irks me :P

I agree, but at the same time, responsible use (turn on another human ONLY in self defense, animals ONLY in legal hunting, keep weapon unloaded when not in use, safety, and for Christ's sake DO NOT LEAVE IT WHERE CHILDREN CAN GET TO IT, etc.) should be taught instead of "abstinence only," which generally results in just about as much ignorance and misuse since realistically, no one will listen to "no, they're evil, just stay away for the good of yourself and those around you."

My opinion is that gun ownership should be a privelege, not a right, much like driving. People who are interested with guns should be allowed to collect (semi-automatics) as they please, but they shold have to obtain a license following a background check and perhaps a short test not unlike the test at the DMV.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 btaylor2404
[QUOTE="Genetic_Code"][QUOTE="btaylor2404"]

Your're exactly right.  Americans think, at about the age of 5, that they have every right to an AR-15, just becasue of the Constitution that has been, and should again be amended.

AlternatingCaps

That grammatical error always irks me :P

I agree, but at the same time, responsible use (turn on another human ONLY in self defense, animals ONLY in legal hunting, keep weapon unloaded when not in use, safety, and for Christ's sake DO NOT LEAVE IT WHERE CHILDREN CAN GET TO IT, etc.) should be taught instead of "abstinence only," which generally results in just about as much ignorance and misuse since realistically, no one will listen to "no, they're evil, just stay away for the good of yourself and those around you."

My opinion is that gun ownership should be a privelege, not a right, much like driving. People who are interested with guns should be allowed to collect (semi-automatics) as they please, but they shold have to obtain a license following a background check and perhaps a short test not unlike the test at the DMV.

AlternatingCaps, I can go with all of that, due to the gun violence I've seen I wish there were no guns.  But your stipulations are fine by me.  And I am a grammar idiot.  You may have to get used to that one. :)

tzar3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tzar3
Member since 2006 • 12393 Posts

I suppose it should be looked on more carefully. But I wouldn't say its that bad. I remember there was two drive bys on my neighborhood. They shot at my cousin's house who lives across the street. He was hit on the leg.

Dosen't bother me much though, compared to the city of Juarez Mexico, Narcos/Druglords with high powered rifles and machine guns massacre people there almost everyday, killing cops and even going on skirmishes with Soldiers who go around patrolling with trucks mounted with machine guns. Beheadings and bodies hanging on bridges are common over there, and me and my dad go often over there...

TenP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 TenP
Member since 2006 • 3338 Posts

I'm typically against gun control because there are people who use them as tools (Hunters) and for the other reasons in the constitution.

However, when the gun can cause massive damage (Bazookas) or is used almost exclusively by criminals (Assault Rifles) I believe they should have strict control over them.

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 THUMPTABLE

I suppose it should be looked on more carefully. But I wouldn't say its that bad. I remember there was two drive bys on my neighborhood. They shot at my cousin's house who lives across the street. He was hit on the leg.

Dosen't bother me much though, compared to the city of Juarez Mexico, Narcos/Druglords with high powered rifles and machine guns massacre people there almost everyday, killing cops and even going on skirmishes with Soldiers who go around patrolling with trucks mounted with machine guns. Beheadings and bodies hanging on bridges are common over there, and me and my dad go often over there...

tzar3

Yes, the guns come across the border from the US.
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 danwallacefan
Member since 2008 • 2413 Posts
I really am against the vast majority of gun control laws (aside from laws which keep guns out of the hands of violent criminals and the mentally deranged) for 2 reasons
1: I think people should be allowed to defend their homes by any means
2: this may seem just a tad bit dated, but I think the people should be able to overthrow their government, which is one small reason I'm against assault weapons bans.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 btaylor2404

I really am against the vast majority of gun control laws (aside from laws which keep guns out of the hands of violent criminals and the mentally deranged) for 2 reasons
2: this may seem just a tad bit dated, but I think the people should be able to overthrow their government, which is one small reason I'm against assault weapons bans. danwallacefan

I understand #1.  But do you truly think in this day and age #2 would ever happen in the US.  When the Constitution was written the states couldn't agree on anything.  I think we are way to satisfied with our way of life to do anything other than **** now.

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 THUMPTABLE
2: this may seem just a tad bit dated, but I think the people should be able to overthrow their government, which is one small reason I'm against assault weapons bans. danwallacefan

Without generalising christians seem to be pro guns but that is very ironic when the sole purpose of these weapons is to kill.
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts

Gun control should really be made on a person by person basis.  Unfortunately, that is impossible.  I wish that there was some way for dangerous people to not get a hold of handguns, but that will never happen.  So I figure, if the criminals are armed, might as well make the victims armed as well.

I don't think I'll ever own any guns, as I don't trust myself with the weapons.  But they can be good weapons.

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#18 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts

MetalGear_Ninty

I agree with that first sentence.  Guns are too ingrained in our society, even if some people don't like them.  I think that there needs to be a greater effort to reduce illegal gun trade, and more common sense gun laws that protect the victim, and not the criminal.

In Virginia, for example, if there is a criminal in your house, you can't shoot him unless he has the ability to kill you as well.  So he can take whatever you have, and you can't shoot him.

tzar3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tzar3
Member since 2006 • 12393 Posts
[QUOTE="tzar3"]

THUMPTABLE

Yes, the guns come across the border from the US.

Yeah, those guys handle their operations very well. I remember seeing something about it on the news and some of the weapons they bring in shocked me a bit. M60s, M-16s, Cuerno De Chivos (Meaning Horns of the goat) which are AK-47s, I could of sworn I saw a bazooka along with some smaller sub machine guns and grenade launcher rounds.