btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 0

#1 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
There are many fascinating "philosophical/scientific arguments" for being an Atheist that have been great topics in the AU.  I rarely post in them because my reason is slightly different.  For me, it boils down to I just can't wrap my brain around there being a God.  All of the major religions have holes in them IMO, and I'm not about to make up my own.  So my reason is quite simple, I just cannot commit 100% to any of them, as interesting as I may find them.  Is this the case for anyone else?
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts
What would need to happen in order to convince you that there was a God?
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#3 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts

What would need to happen in order to convince you that there was a God?Lansdowne5

Short of God himself/herself talking to me?  I'm not quite sure.  It's one of those things I'd know it if I saw or felt it.  Crappy answer I know, but that's all I have.  I've read books, the Bible, Quran, Torah, ect til I'm blue in the face and they just don't get the job done.  I have life-long friends who are "born again Christians" that have talked with me for hours,as has my preacher, still doesn't connnect.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#4 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts
I get it,B. I have this sense of logic that only lets me trust what I can perceive. However its personal,unlike some I have no problem with religion or desire to prove it wrong,it just is not "real" to me.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#5 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts
I think if anyone professes to truly understand the concept of God, then their concept is wrong. :P
Thessassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Thessassin
Member since 2007 • 1819 Posts

I think if anyone professes to truly understand the concept of God, then their concept is wrong. GabuEx

QFT im not religious because theres no evidence for religion and it seems rediculous, and thats without including the bad stuff religion causes,

Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

I think if anyone professes to truly understand the concept of God, then their concept is wrong. :PGabuEx

God is quantum theory? :shock: :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
Member since 2007 • 11536 Posts

life is amazing

it is so complex, one person(god) couldn't have created it!!

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#9 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

There are many fascinating "philosophical/scientific arguments" for being an Atheist that have been great topics in the AU. I rarely post in them because my reason is slightly different. For me, it boils down to I just can't wrap my brain around there being a God. All of the major religions have holes in them IMO, and I'm not about to make up my own. So my reason is quite simple, I just cannot commit 100% to any of them, as interesting as I may find them. Is this the case for anyone else?btaylor2404

I hear ya B,

I simply can't dedicate myself with such conviction to something that I don't know is true or not. Belief is not enough unfortunately, and I refuse to accept the idea of God for the illusion of comfort or the convienience of explaining everything we don't understand and can't grasp. Still, I can't quite pin it down.....but I do and have always felt a precense in my life, holy or not, though it is still not enough for me to open myself up to.

Plainly speaking, I want and need absolute truth. Since that's not possible, facts and observations will have to do for now.

Stryder1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Stryder1212
Member since 2005 • 114 Posts

I think by logic, I mean I've been compared to Spock before.

I've tried to understand several major faiths, tried to accept it. But I simply couldn't do it. The creation myths, the miracles, the revelations, the demons, etc., none of it really fit together when dissected with rationality as my scalpel. If there's no hard evidence to support a theory, it isn't a theory, it's a hypothesis, and for me that's what divinity is, an unproven hypothesis.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

I was raised somewhat of a christian as my mom was the full blooded christian and my dad is a christian, but only to a certain extent. My mom and dad were seperated when I was around 3 years old though, and I lived with my dad and visit my mom only on school breaks as she moved to a different state. At first, my dad was going to church every Sunday. I was in the little kids quire singing and rehearsing every sunday. At first, it was all fun and a great atmosphere. People were catching the "Holy Ghost", jumping up and acting liked they were possessed. Then when I turned 11, we stopped going to church. Something happen that I don't want to discuss when I was 13 years old that basically called my fate into question. I begin wondering if God exist, why isn't he here to fix this planet, why is he letting War and slavery exist......why are important people in everyone lives die young? When I was 14, I finally witness the movie Amistad. Being that I am a African American, it didn't affect me a racial way that made me want to hate other races. However, it had other affects on me. That feeling I had after watching Amistad only grew when I watched movies that took place during the Holocaust where Nazi's where executing and treating the Jewish people even lower than a stray dog. Considering it was based on a true story, it just about helped me make up my mind if God exist or not. by the time I was 15, I fully converted into a Atheist, though it wasn't until I was 17 that the term Atheist sprung up, otherwise I was just a person that didn't believe a God exist. I've ran into people that was trying to teach me religion I didn't want to be a part of. When I told them this, they automatically begin thinking I worship the devil and if I walk into a church, I'd burn walking through the doors. So I decided to use reasoning. I told them that, IMO, the only God I know are my parents. They were the ones that brought me into this world, not a God. they provided me with food and shelter, not god. And they were the only ones that carried me over my struggles during my time in school, not an invisible God. Though they didn't accept my opinion well, they let it go. And since then, I used that type of reasoning to get by the most Bible solicitors that got in my way so I could end a conversation short on move on with my life. My dad actually called me a devil once when I decided to change a station that a gospel song started on. I didn't give him a piece of my mind like I gave those other people, so I ignored him. My mom on the other hand, I recently let her know my mindset. She took my opinion well, but like most christians, she still felt like she was "saved" by God when she was in a tight spot. She told me that she was doing drugs, and God camed into her life to stop her from doing it. Then she started rambling on about me and my big sister coming into her life. She was still doing the crap after I was born, but soon stopped. From the way she descibed it, i tried to explain to her that God didn't save her. that it was her conscious that made it possible for her to stop since she knew she had to stop in order to take care of my sister and me when my dad was at work. She partly agrees, but still felt the God had something to do with her stopping to. So while I let it go and accpeted what she believes, she still tries to stuff christian crap down my ears when I don't want to here it. She's even forcing me to go to church with her new husband and my 2 little bros when I don't even want to go. And it pisses me off when my Football or Basketball game comes on during church time and I got to miss it since my mom isn't giving me a option to stay home, which  is pissing my off......

Alright, I'm stopping my rant. I just about pour my life story into a small paragraph....:P

Oops. it isn't a small paragraph. Well I just had to get the crap out of my head. i have a habit of doing this when one of my favorite subjects is broughtto my attention...:P

mikeg0788

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mikeg0788
Member since 2003 • 11784 Posts
I'm slowly starting to think like you, btaylor. I was raised in a Christian home, so the idea of God has been present for as long as I've been alive. As such, it was hard for me at first to think of there NOT being a God, but I'm slowly starting to think about how the idea of an all powerful, all-knowing, omnipresent, benevolent supernatural creature that we can't see, hear, smell, touch or taste or see any real tangible proof of kind of sounds a little ridiculous (pardon the straw man).
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lansdowne5

[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]What would need to happen in order to convince you that there was a God?btaylor2404

Short of God himself/herself talking to me?  I'm not quite sure.  It's one of those things I'd know it if I saw or felt it.  Crappy answer I know, but that's all I have.  I've read books, the Bible, Quran, Torah, ect til I'm blue in the face and they just don't get the job done.  I have life-long friends who are "born again Christians" that have talked with me for hours,as has my preacher, still doesn't connnect.

Btaylor, do you agree that all loving relationships should be built on faith?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#15 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
I'm an atheist because not enough faith is required to be a theist. :)
Slickace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Slickace
Member since 2007 • 29 Posts
I am a Atheist because 1) I see all the evil it makes. The wars, the hate, the closed minds. let alone that God himself (If there is one) has destroyed cities and flooded the world out of anger. 2) I can't just accept it. I don't know how to describe it. I just can't believe it, it seems like it can never happen. It goes against all we know as a species.
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lansdowne5

I am a Atheist because 1) I see all the evil it makes. The wars, the hate, the closed minds. let alone that God himself (If there is one) has destroyed cities and flooded the world out of anger. 2) I can't just accept it. I don't know how to describe it. I just can't believe it, it seems like it can never happen. It goes against all we know as a species.Slickace

Politics has caused just as many wars and has created just as much hate.......

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GabuEx

[QUOTE="Slickace"]I am a Atheist because 1) I see all the evil it makes. The wars, the hate, the closed minds. let alone that God himself (If there is one) has destroyed cities and flooded the world out of anger. 2) I can't just accept it. I don't know how to describe it. I just can't believe it, it seems like it can never happen. It goes against all we know as a species.Lansdowne5

I've always said in response to the idea that religion causes war that not every war involved religion, but certainly every war involved a leader of at least one participating nation who had an ego the size of Pluto. :P

lazyhoboguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 lazyhoboguy
Member since 2007 • 1692 Posts

[QUOTE="Slickace"]I am a Atheist because 1) I see all the evil it makes. The wars, the hate, the closed minds. let alone that God himself (If there is one) has destroyed cities and flooded the world out of anger. 2) I can't just accept it. I don't know how to describe it. I just can't believe it, it seems like it can never happen. It goes against all we know as a species.Lansdowne5

What I think slickace means is that if god created everything then why would he allow all these bad things to happen. 

AnObscureName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AnObscureName
Member since 2008 • 2069 Posts
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

[QUOTE="Slickace"]I am a Atheist because 1) I see all the evil it makes. The wars, the hate, the closed minds. let alone that God himself (If there is one) has destroyed cities and flooded the world out of anger. 2) I can't just accept it. I don't know how to describe it. I just can't believe it, it seems like it can never happen. It goes against all we know as a species.lazyhoboguy

What I think slickace means is that if god created everything then why would he allow all these bad things to happen. 

Why when we play games like Rome Total War do I send a unit of peasents to attack elite cavalry?  Because it's hilarious.

Link334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 Link334
Member since 2007 • 6082 Posts
My reason is that. i feel bound by god. i was raised christian and when i became an atheist i just felt much more free.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

Well I am not an atheist, but I can say that my atheistic "tendencies" stem from the fact that most theistic arguments/phenomena/explanations/interpretations do have a valid and very reasonable and plausible counter-explanation/interpretation why they have nothing to do with an existing deity. Those explanations usually have to do with Archeology, Sociology, Psychology and Sciences in general.

And of course I have been affected by the ill turn of religion nowadays. Being misused big-time for ulterior motives (example: presidential/prime-minister elections), or just misused by ignorant followers.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GabuEx

My reason is that. i feel bound by god. i was raised christian and when i became an atheist i just felt much more free.Link334

No offense intended, but what does that have to do with whether or not God exists?

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lansdowne5

[QUOTE="Link334"]My reason is that. i feel bound by god. i was raised christian and when i became an atheist i just felt much more free.GabuEx

No offense intended, but what does that have to do with whether or not God exists?

The exact same thought crossed my mind......

kellymae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kellymae
Member since 2005 • 878 Posts

[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]What would need to happen in order to convince you that there was a God?btaylor2404

Short of God himself/herself talking to me? I'm not quite sure. It's one of those things I'd know it if I saw or felt it. Crappy answer I know, but that's all I have. I've read books, the Bible, Quran, Torah, ect til I'm blue in the face and they just don't get the job done. I have life-long friends who are "born again Christians" that have talked with me for hours,as has my preacher, still doesn't connnect.

Ahh Bryan, a kindred spirit. I have always said since the age of about 16 that the day god holds a press conference and explains himself for the mess that we are in will be the day I believe there is a god. Short of that nothing will convince me for the exact reasoning that you have. Every major religion has holes. The very fact unto itself that there is more than one religion and hence more than one god would lead most to believe there are some serious issues with the very idea.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
the day god holds a press conference and explains himself for the mess that we are in will be the day I believe there is a godkellymae
I've never understood that reasoning. It implies that there is no other possible reason than god for "the mess". If there isn't, then that statement is tacit admission of god's existence, which to me is a bit self-contradictory for an atheist. Alternatively, if there is no god, "the mess" can't have been caused by god, so to blame god for it makes no sense at all.
lazyhoboguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lazyhoboguy

[QUOTE="kellymae"]the day god holds a press conference and explains himself for the mess that we are in will be the day I believe there is a godChiliDragon
I've never understood that reasoning. It implies that there is no other possible reason than god for "the mess". If there isn't, then that statement is tacit admission of god's existence, which to me is a bit self-contradictory for an atheist. Alternatively, if there is no god, "the mess" can't have been caused by god, so to blame god for it makes no sense at all.

Well atheists do not say they know there is no god. Most say the do not belive in god. Meaning that with everything we can see and perceive right now god's existance does not seem probable.

So, even most atheists think there is a very small chance a god or something could exist, but unless that supreme being proves his existance it is most likely that it does not really exist.

And about the "mess" part, since there is a mess of things here on earth it leads people like me to conclude that a god does not exist because if he allows these things to happen he is a pretty bad supreme being to follow. So, yes I believe the mess today is caused by us humans, if there is a god who has allowed this to happen I would not want to follow it.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ChiliDragon
And about the "mess" part, since there is a mess of things here on earth it leads people like me to conclude that a god does not exist because if he allows these things to happen he is a pretty bad supreme being to follow. So, yes I believe the mess today is caused by us humans, if there is a god who has allowed this to happen I would not want to follow it. lazyhoboguy
I have never understood that either. "If there is a god this world would not be imperfect", just makes no sense to me. I cling too stubbornly to the idea that humans have the free will to act as sadistic bastards if they really want to, I guess. :P It does fascinate me though that this way of thinking implies a very clear notion of what the non-existent deity would be like, if he/she existed... one that over-rides our free will for the sake of forcing a "better" world on us doesn't sound to me any better than the one that you're rejecting. Personal opinion, of course. :)
kellymae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kellymae
Member since 2005 • 878 Posts

[QUOTE="kellymae"]the day god holds a press conference and explains himself for the mess that we are in will be the day I believe there is a godChiliDragon

Hmm, I guess that didn't come out right. I'll try again. My parents god was the one that created everything, the one that is lord on high of the entire universe. When someone died it was gods will, when a church collapsed and killed the parishners it was gods will. Children starving in africa, again gods will, or even better they had displeased god and this was their punishment. This is what I meant by an explanation. It was a rather flippant remark actually. In my heart there is 100 percent certainty that there is no god. Were god to suddenly appear I would have to rethink that stance I suppose.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ChiliDragon

[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"][QUOTE="kellymae"]the day god holds a press conference and explains himself for the mess that we are in will be the day I believe there is a godkellymae

Hmm, I guess that didn't come out right. I'll try again. My parents god was the one that created everything, the one that is lord on high of the entire universe. When someone died it was gods will, when a church collapsed and killed the parishners it was gods will. Children starving in africa, again gods will, or even better they had displeased god and this was their punishment. This is what I meant by an explanation. It was a rather flippant remark actually. In my heart there is 100 percent certainty that there is no god. Were god to suddenly appear I would have to rethink that stance I suppose.

Ah, okay, that makes sense. I disagree strongly, especially with that portrayal of the Christian God (he let's himself be tortured to death because he loves all of man-kind so much, and then turns around and starves children to death on a whim?) , but I understand the reasoning and that's what I was after. I just want to understand how people think. Thanks for clarifying! I appreciate it. :)
lazyhoboguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lazyhoboguy

[QUOTE="lazyhoboguy"]And about the "mess" part, since there is a mess of things here on earth it leads people like me to conclude that a god does not exist because if he allows these things to happen he is a pretty bad supreme being to follow. So, yes I believe the mess today is caused by us humans, if there is a god who has allowed this to happen I would not want to follow it. ChiliDragon
I have never understood that either. "If there is a god this world would not be imperfect", just makes no sense to me. I cling too stubbornly to the idea that humans have the free will to act as sadistic bastards if they really want to, I guess. :P It does fascinate me though that this way of thinking implies a very clear notion of what the non-existent deity would be like, if he/she existed... one that over-rides our free will for the sake of forcing a "better" world on us doesn't sound to me any better than the one that you're rejecting. Personal opinion, of course. :)

Ah, yea I was generallizing too much I suppose. This is more of a rejection of the way some christians perceive god. Like when god is perceived as having a plan for everything and when even terrible things are seen as part of this plan. Like I do not believe we have a predetermined destiny or fate but have to make our own choices in life. I know not all Christians think this way, so this argument is not directed at them.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GabuEx

I've never understood that reasoning. It implies that there is no other possible reason than god for "the mess". If there isn't, then that statement is tacit admission of god's existence, which to me is a bit self-contradictory for an atheist. Alternatively, if there is no god, "the mess" can't have been caused by god, so to blame god for it makes no sense at all.ChiliDragon

It's pretty much the classic argument from evil: "If God existed, there would be no evil; there is evil; therefore, God does not exist."

Personally, however, I think a world without evil would be quite possibly the most evil world of all.  Anyone who has seen a kid whose parents get him every single thing he's ever wanted will understand why. :P

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ChiliDragon
Ah, yea I was generalizing too much I suppose. This is more of a rejection of the way some christians perceive god. Like when god is perceived as having a plan for everything and when even terrible things are seen as part of this plan. Like I do not believe we have a predetermined destiny or fate but have to make our own choices in life. I know not all Christians think this way, so this argument is not directed at them.lazyhoboguy
Although, from a certain point of view, it makes sense. I refuse to believe that whatever happens is a part of God's plan, however. Not only because that would void God's plan for furniture (I have a cat), but because I refuse to believe that God's plan for anyone involved pain and suffering. I believe in a loving deity. How can I do that if his/her plan involves universal suffering? @Gabu I'm with you on this one. Parents who shelter their child too much are actually very bad parents...
Avatar image for bean-with-bacon
bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 bean-with-bacon
Member since 2008 • 2134 Posts

[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]I've never understood that reasoning. It implies that there is no other possible reason than god for "the mess". If there isn't, then that statement is tacit admission of god's existence, which to me is a bit self-contradictory for an atheist. Alternatively, if there is no god, "the mess" can't have been caused by god, so to blame god for it makes no sense at all.GabuEx

It's pretty much the classic argument from evil: "If God existed, there would be no evil; there is evil; therefore, God does not exist."

Personally, however, I think a world without evil would be quite possibly the most evil world of all.  Anyone who has seen a kid whose parents get him every single thing he's ever wanted will understand why. :P

But isn't that exactly what heavan would be like? Plus one could argue that all the negative effects caused by spoiling and sheltering are a result of evil and hence wouldn't exist if god didn't allow evil.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ChiliDragon
But isn't that exactly what heavan would be like? Plus one could argue that all the negative effects caused by spoiling and sheltering are a result of evil and hence wouldn't exist if god didn't allow evil.bean-with-bacon
If I remember right, the reasoning goes something like this: Lack of evil in Heaven = Caused by it being refused entry. Lack of evil on Earth = Caused by humans losing their free will. Therefore, a lack of evil here on Earth would be a bad thing, since we would lose the ability you described in an earlier post to make our own choices in life. The choices would be made for us and forced on us. I dislike this idea, having free will sounds like a better deal to me, not to mention, by having free will we have to take responsibility for our actions. We can't claim that since God made us do it, it's not our fault. ;)
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

Lack of evil in Heaven = Caused by it being refused entry.ChiliDragon

I'm not quite following this.

If you have free will in heaven then surely evil is possible?

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GabuEx

But isn't that exactly what heavan would be like?

bean-with-bacon

Having never been there, I do not know what heaven is like. :P

Plus one could argue that all the negative effects caused by spoiling and sheltering are a result of evil and hence wouldn't exist if god didn't allow evil.

bean-with-bacon

I'm not so sure of that.  The English word "appreciate" comes from the past participle of the Latin word for "appraise".  To appraise something means to ascertain its value.  Thus, one who appreciates something is one who understands its value.  And it's completely impossible to understand the value of something except when one understands its absence.  Without the ability to experience the absence of light, we would not understand color; it would instead just be a giant mass of white.

Of course, one could say, "well, why can't God just make us able to appreciate good without evil?"  And I obviously can't give a conclusive answer to this.  But the above makes me feel that it seems at least possible that such a thing might actually be a flat-out logical contradiction.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GabuEx

[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"] Lack of evil in Heaven = Caused by it being refused entry.domatron23

Something being possible does not necessarily imply its presence.  It seems entirely possible that one in heaven would simply not want to commit evil - it's the desire to do so that is ultimately responsible for evil, not the possibility.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
[QUOTE="domatron23"]

[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"] Lack of evil in Heaven = Caused by it being refused entry.GabuEx

Something being possible does not necessarily imply its presence.  It seems entirely possible that one in heaven would simply not want to commit evil - it's the desire to do so that is ultimately responsible for evil, not the possibility.

Can't argue with that.

bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bean-with-bacon
[QUOTE="bean-with-bacon"]

But isn't that exactly what heavan would be like?

GabuEx

Having never been there, I do not know what heaven is like. :P

Plus one could argue that all the negative effects caused by spoiling and sheltering are a result of evil and hence wouldn't exist if god didn't allow evil.

bean-with-bacon

I'm not so sure of that.  The English word "appreciate" comes from the past participle of the Latin word for "appraise".  To appraise something means to ascertain its value.  Thus, one who appreciates something is one who understands its value.  And it's completely impossible to understand the value of something except when one understands its absence.  Without the ability to experience the absence of light, we would not understand color; it would instead just be a giant mass of white.

Of course, one could say, "well, why can't God just make us able to appreciate good without evil?"  And I obviously can't give a conclusive answer to this.  But the above makes me feel that it seems at least possible that such a thing might actually be a flat-out logical contradiction.

But see I'm not convinced that is a valid argument, for one do we really need to experience the absence of something in order to appreciate and understand its value? Sure most people take things for granted but I don't think that means it is impossible to truly value something without it having to be absent at some point. We have the ability to visualise incredible things without actually witnessing them, the more we educate ourselves the greater that visualisation and understanding grows, it is one of the most basic principles of science, the ability to visualise things so far out and beyond what we have actually experienced on this earth, sure you could then argue that nothing beats the real thing but really the real thing is just neurons firing in response to sensory input, all able to be perfectly replicated without actually experiencing the 'real thing,' Why can that not be applied to appreciating things? Because really what you are suggesting is a limit to our mental capacities (which there obviously is but I don't think not being able to appreciate things is one of them).

Also why is there such extreme examples of evil? I for one am certain we can appreciate the good in life without the need for say, Hitler and Mengel.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ChiliDragon
Also why is there such extreme examples of evil? I for one am certain we can appreciate the good in life without the need for say, Hitler and Mengele.bean-with-bacon
Free will is just a **** that way. (And yay us! It took all the way until page two of the good vs evil thread before someone mentioned Hitler :D)
bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 bean-with-bacon

[QUOTE="bean-with-bacon"]Also why is there such extreme examples of evil? I for one am certain we can appreciate the good in life without the need for say, Hitler and Mengele.ChiliDragon
Free will is just a **** that way. (And yay us! It took all the way until page two of the good vs evil thread before someone mentioned Hitler :D)

He he he, sorry for the Hitler cliche, I use him as an example way to often :P

Although free will also has nothing to do with natural disasters however ;)

Also why do we have such a large capacity for evil? Having free will doesn't really answer the question, we "apparently" only have limited capacity for good, hence the reason why need jesus to save us or whatever but apparently that has no impact on our free will, so why such a large capacity for evil?

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ChiliDragon
Also why do we have such a large capacity for evil? Having free will doesn't really answer the question, we "apparently" only have limited capacity for good, hence the reason why need jesus to save us or whatever but apparently that has no impact on our free will, so why such a large capacity for evil?bean-with-bacon
Bolded section: How do you know that? Just because extreme evil gets more publicity doesn't mean extreme good is not done. I could probably give you a theatrically spectacular examples, but that's not what this thread is about (yet anyway). Actually, just google Maximiliam Kolbe, since we're talking about the Nazis anyway. Back to the discussion at hand: The reason for the crucifixion and everything that went with it is, if reading the Bible and buying the reasoning in it, we humans are inherently flawed and therefore incapable of the level of perfection demanded of anyone willing to enter heaven. Even the tiniest little bit of a smudge on the shiny surface disqualifies you and sentences you to death. It's apparently as bad to be irritated at someone as it is to kill them. We are, in every way, royally screwed by our own human nature here. Faced with the possibility of never being with any of his beloved humans ever again, God decided to create a work-around. Since the imperfections have to be punished by death, God had his son suffer that punishment and die, on behalf of all humans. The smudges were removed, humans can now enter heaven, as long as said humans sign on the dotted line that says "I hereby accept my punishment, and agree Jesus already suffered it on my behalf". Free will comes in here again, by the way. Signing the dotted line is an option, no one will actually force you to do it. (Just like killing an helpless victim is also an option, not something that someone forces you to do.) That's a vastly over-simplified version. I tried making it as denominationally universal as possible. I personally explain Katrina, earthquakes, and other disasters by reminding myself that God is hardly the only supernatural power out there. He might be the only one who fiercely loves us though, and it's more than likely that at least one of the others kills humans in droves just for the fun of it. I don't know, of course... but it makes a certain amount of sense that just like there are factions fighting each other in our world, there are opposites and enemies in the world above us, no? (Apologies for the thorough derailing of the thread...)
bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 bean-with-bacon

Of course extreme good is done, your example is an excellent one and yet if that very same man had been a jew/muslim/hindu/atheist or whatever he would be burning eternally right now (or whenever judgement comes), extreme good is different from unlimited good (or perfect goodness) which we are incapable because we are 'flawed'

Given that sin is regarded as all the same level of evil we are perfectly capable of 'perfect' evil, free will is given as an explanation for this, yet we are incapable of perfect goodness, and that has no effect on our free will what so ever? I don't see how that holds up.

Also the devil is just an angel, he is not omnipotent, the only reason these things happen then is because god allows the devil to do them, also god seems to be killing and punishing a lot more in the bible then the devil. ;)

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ChiliDragon
Given that sin is regarded as all the same level of evil we are perfectly capable of 'perfect' evil, free will is given as an explanation for this, yet we are incapable of perfect goodness, and that has no effect on our free will what so ever? I don't see how that holds up.bean-with-bacon
I don't get your reasoning here... you seem to be saying that since we can't be perfect good, we don't have free will? You asked for the Christian explanation, I gave it. As an atheist you're not going to agree with it, and I don't expect you to. I'm just presenting the way the reasoning goes in that camp. The brief cliff-notes version of something that scholars have studied for centuries is not going to be comprehensive or detailed enough to "hold up", and I'm surprised you'd expect it to. If you want explanations of the difference between the Old and New Testaments, angels, demons, death, flaws in creation itself, and all those other things that don't make sense unless you actually take a few years to study them and understand them there are loads of books written on the subject, and articles online. If you want a persuasive argument, you'll have to ask someone else though. I don't see the point in trying to bludgeon others into agreeing with me, especially not on things as personal as religion. :)
bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 bean-with-bacon

[quote="bean-with-bacon"]Given that sin is regarded as all the same level of evil we are perfectly capable of 'perfect' evil, free will is given as an explanation for this, yet we are incapable of perfect goodness, and that has no effect on our free will what so ever? I don't see how that holds up.ChiliDragon
I don't get your reasoning here... you seem to be saying that since we can't be perfect good, we don't have free will?

Pretty much yeah. :P

Ok, so we can be perfectly evil because we have free will, yet we cannot be perfectly 'good' however that apparently doesn't infringe our free will, why? So we can't choose to be perfectly good? I dunno but that seems to show we don't have complete free will after all. Now the obvious answer is we are 'flawed,' so pre-emptive strike on that, that would suggest our free will is 'flawed,' no?

Now I'm not expecting an in depth answer on the nuances of morality in the bible, we both have better things to do and quite frankly I don't even think my argument is that strong, and I'm not sure why I'm still trying to run with it, but hey, no harm in trying right?

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ChiliDragon
Ok, so we can be perfectly evil because we have free will, yet we cannot be perfectly 'good' however that apparently doesn't infringe our free will, why? So we can't choose to be perfectly good? I dunno but that seems to show we don't have complete free will after all. Now the obvious answer is we are 'flawed,' so pre-emptive strike on that, that would suggest our free will is 'flawed,' no?bean-with-bacon
No, not at all. We can choose how to react and what to do and that's all free will is: the ability to make that choice. The options and alternatives we have available have no impact on that ability to choose. There just needs to be more than one, but if two or two thousand, doesn't matter from that particular point of view.
bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 bean-with-bacon

So doesn't that just come back too why god allows such extreme (to humans anyway) things like murder, torture, rape etc? So if not having certain options available to us does not infringe on our free will then why can free will be used as an excuse for those things happening when god could just take those options away and we could still understand good and evil because of other sins?

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ChiliDragon

So doesn't that just come back too why god allows such extreme (to humans anyway) things like murder, torture, rape etc? So if not having certain options available to us does not infringe on our free will then why can free will be used as an excuse for those things happening when god could just take those options away and we could still understand good and evil because of other sins?

bean-with-bacon
Because if God starts taking options away we no longer have free will. :) It's one thing to freely choose between all available options... quite another to chose between "evil" and "more evil", while knowing that the option "good"is there, we just don't qualify for it.
bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 bean-with-bacon

Because if God starts taking options away we no longer have free will. :)

ChiliDragon

The options and alternatives we have available have no impact on that ability to choose.

ChiliDragon

These two statements seem to contradict.

It's one thing to freely choose between all available options... quite another to chose between "evil" and "more evil", while knowing that the option "good"is there, we just don't qualify for it.ChiliDragon

I don't understand what you're trying to say here.