ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

Confronted with mountains of empirical evidence and rational arguments that contradict their beliefs, religious people often resort to invoking what they consider to be absolute proof of the truth of their religion: divine miracles. We can tell them that their creationist dogma is absurd and that they have problems with epistemically justifiying their beliefs, but they will eventually bring something up like "But what about this miracle?" as what they regard as an irrefutable point in their favor.

Questioning them further, we find that they deny that anything besides the god they believe in could have caused that miracle. It's really an appeal to absurdity: it's inconceivable, in their minds, that something like that could be a mere anomaly in nature, and not a sign that their god(s) exists. I disagree with them here; that something seems implausible doesn't mean it's impossible. Ergo, it's not necessarily their god who caused that miracle. In the face of that refutation, their religion's epistemic foundations crumble like a cookie.

Now, here's my question: can a divine miracle ever serve as proof for the truth of some religion? Or are all appeals to miracles appeals to absurdity in disguise, and hence necessarily false? Discuss. 

imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts
Miracles can't be used as proof for a religion. They are inherently subjective, and anyone from any religion could claim a miracle on behalf of their religion. Besides, there's always a naturalistic explanation
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ghoklebutter

Miracles can't be used as proof for a religion. They are inherently subjective, and anyone from any religion could claim a miracle on behalf of their religion. Besides, there's always a naturalistic explanationimaps3fanboy

What if a miracle was observed recently, with reliable witnesses? What makes you think that they are necessarily subjective?

Also, just because there's always a naturalistic explanation, doesn't mean that it can't coincidentally be a divine miracle. 

[spoiler] I'm just playing devil's advocate with you, FYI. :V [/spoiler]  

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
I read a quote somewhere, but I cannot remember the exact quote, who said it, or where it came from. But it ran something like this: "Even if we prove that Jesus was resurrected, that does not prove that God exists, nor does it prove the teachings in the Bible are an ideal worth living".
imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 imaps3fanboy

[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"]Miracles can't be used as proof for a religion. They are inherently subjective, and anyone from any religion could claim a miracle on behalf of their religion. Besides, there's always a naturalistic explanationghoklebutter

What if a miracle was observed recently, with reliable witnesses? What makes you think that they are necessarily subjective?

Also, just because there's always a naturalistic explanation, doesn't mean that it can't coincidentally be a divine miracle. 

Historians, just recently irc, have found out that Jesus of Nazareth might have been part of a cult. This cult lived in caves, and ate hallucinegic mushrooms. This could have likely been the trigger that set off all of Christianity. So I would say it boils doing to a mass hysteria/delusion that we so commonly see in humans. I also wouldn't want to be worshipping a god that only reveals himself to a small audience, and not the mass population. 

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts
[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]

[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"]Miracles can't be used as proof for a religion. They are inherently subjective, and anyone from any religion could claim a miracle on behalf of their religion. Besides, there's always a naturalistic explanationimaps3fanboy

Historians, just recently irc, have found out that Jesus of Nazareth might have been part of a cult. This cult lived in caves, and ate hallucinegic mushrooms. This could have likely been the trigger that set off all of Christianity. So I would say it boils doing to a mass hysteria/delusion that we so commonly see in humans. I also wouldn't want to be worshipping a god that only reveals himself to a small audience, and not the mass population. 

I did know of some link between Christmas and Fly-agaric mushrooms - the red caps with white spots being the colours of Christmas, flying reindeer, etc. Such "shamanic" mushroom/cactus induced vision-questing is not uncommon in religion at all though.

(more info: http://www.washedashore.com/rants/xmas) 

N.B. DO NOT EAT THESE MUSHROOMS - THEY CAN KILL - EVEN IN SMALL QUANTITIES

Regarding "miracles": 

If you look at places like Lourdes, where there is a Catholic commission (unbiased of course) to "approve" miracles, you will see that there were only 67 of them over 150 years, despite the droves of people in their thousands turning up there every day in the hope of a cure. Such small numbers seem to make going to Lourdes less miraculous than staying at home!

(source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4902332.stm) 

Recently sainted (and beatified) people are supposed to have miracles associated with them. I've written about some rather suspect miracles that have lead directly to sainthood here:

http://www.gamespot.com/unions/Nonrelgious/forums/27445953/saint-thomas-aquinas-quiz

alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 alexside1
Member since 2006 • 4412 Posts
Which is meanless to those who insist that supernatural are only natural that has yet to be explain.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ghoklebutter

Which is meanless to those who insist that supernatural are only natural that has yet to be explain.alexside1

Precisely. 

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts
[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]

[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"]Miracles can't be used as proof for a religion. They are inherently subjective, and anyone from any religion could claim a miracle on behalf of their religion. Besides, there's always a naturalistic explanationimaps3fanboy

I just watched that on the history channel.....did you? :P Was quite interesting and would make a load of sense. 12 hippies, a cult leader and a prostitute eat shrooms and claim miracles and the Romans get upset and crucify him.
imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 imaps3fanboy
[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"][QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]

[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"]Miracles can't be used as proof for a religion. They are inherently subjective, and anyone from any religion could claim a miracle on behalf of their religion. Besides, there's always a naturalistic explanationwis3boi

I just watched that on the history channel.....did you? :P Was quite interesting and would make a load of sense. 12 hippies, a cult leader and a prostitute eat shrooms and claim miracles and the Romans get upset and crucify him.

Nah I didn't see that. I remember Richard Carrier saying something about it though 

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"][QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]

wis3boi

People must have been terribly impressionable back then as to believe all this garbage though.

I still find it difficult to believe that in todays modern society people can't think for themselves or they logically think some form of supernatural power exists like walking on water, turning water into wine etc even when the hard science proves something like that can't be done. Well not the way it's described anyway.

alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 alexside1

I still find it difficult to believe that in todays modern society people can't think for themselves or they logically think some form of supernatural power exists like walking on water, turning water into wine etc even when the hard science proves something like that can't be done. Well not the way it's described anyway.

seanmcloughlin

That's because your worldview differ from other people. Besides I wouldn't jump to conclusion of "not thinking for themselves" without knowing the individual.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"][QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"]

seanmcloughlin

People must have been terribly impressionable back then as to believe all this garbage though.

The books being written many years after the main cult leader (jesus) died explains the exaggerated stories. I think it's all based around fear...fear that if you don't worship, bad things happen to you, and worshiping gets you box seat tickets to god's stadium and eternal bliss....etc. I doubt that many of those miracle stories were preached when jesus was alive, if such a man existed. Back then life was bleak, and it was easy to fall for this kind of thing though. Vikings thought the god Sköll was responsible for what we now know as a solar eclipse...they thought he was hungry and would feast on the sun, so they chanted and screamed at the sun for him to stop. Back then if we were vikings we'd probably believe it too
Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

The books being written many years after the main cult leader (jesus) died explains the exaggerated stories. I think it's all based around fear...fear that if you don't worship, bad things happen to you, and worshiping gets you box seat tickets to god's stadium and eternal bliss....etc. I doubt that many of those miracle stories were preached when jesus was alive, if such a man existed. Back then life was bleak, and it was easy to fall for this kind of thing though. Vikings thought the god Sköll was responsible for what we now know as a solar eclipse...they thought he was hungry and would feast on the sun, so they chanted and screamed at the sun for him to stop. Back then if we were vikings we'd probably believe it toowis3boi

I agree. In particular, I've always wondered why several dodgy constructs in the new Testament get so often ignored by Christians:

The Paulean Epistles (13 or 14 books of the New Testament), as reputedly  to have been written by Saul of Tarsus (Paul), do not contain any reference to Jesus' supposed  miracles or divine birth at all. At least 7 of these books are of disputed authorship too. Many ideas are stolen from Plato and other Greek authorship.

The "Synotic Gospels" (Matthew, Mark and Luke) seem to have been shared from a single source, since they often contain exactly the same wording. But still, they are used as a primary source for historical information abut Jesus.

alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 alexside1

The "Synotic Gospels" (Matthew, Mark and Luke) seem to have been shared from a single source, since they often contain exactly the same wording. But still, they are used as a primary source for historical information abut Jesus.

RationalAtheist

Of course they came from a single source. It was being spread by word of mouth by the disciples and followers before it was written down.

I strongly disagree about the fear thing. His messages strikes as a message about compassion and loving ones neighbor.

That's just my opinion on it though.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Zeviander
Also original manuscripts of Matthew containing no references to Jesus' supernatural powers or resurrection before the Council of Nicea.
alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 alexside1

Also original manuscripts of Matthew containing no references to Jesus' supernatural powers or resurrection before the Council of Nicea.Zeviander

Link to the original manuscripts please? Cause you got me intrested.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Zeviander
Unfortunately, I think they are only available in Aramaic/Koine Greek, or at the very least, deeply hidden in the archives of a dusty old university library somewhere. They generally aren't discussed all that much, given the content and context (Jesus not being considered supernatural, nor resurrected). But I will see what I can dig up over the next couple days (busy weekend though). Also, look into the Gnostic Gospels. Orthodox (not the denomination) Christians will call them heresies, but certain ones, especially the Gospel of Thomas, Mary and Judas give some striking contrast to the canonical gospels. Look for them in the "Nag Hammadi Library".
Jazz_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jazz_Fan
Member since 2008 • 29516 Posts
Many of the personal "miracles" I've been presented with are very self-centered. Not taking into account that improbable coincidences happen all the time, then merely falling into a regressive fallacy. When it comes to the more extraordinary claims all there ever is are eye-witness accounts to back it up. Which is not sufficient evidence for a claim that breaks the natural order of things. If we were to take those with great credence then we must also give credence to claims of spotting bigfoot, or UFOs. Nothing definitive to bring into account, so they can then be rightfully dismissed on such.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ghoklebutter

Many of the personal "miracles" I've been presented with are very self-centered. Not taking into account that improbable coincidences happen all the time, then merely falling into a regressive fallacy. When it comes to the more extraordinary claims all there ever is are eye-witness accounts to back it up. Which is not sufficient evidence for a claim that breaks the natural order of things. If we were to take those with great credence then we must also give credence to claims of spotting bigfoot, or UFOs. Nothing definitive to bring into account, so they can then be rightfully dismissed on such.Jazz_Fan

Very good points. I think the only way the believer could respond is to argue that one should trust the witnesses, but trust is not even close to being a requisite for knowledge. I don't "trust" in reason to help me arrive at true conclusions. Trust is a virtue in my eyes, but it's not some kind of epistemic bridge that makes something absolutely true. After all, human perception can only be trusted so much. 

I know I'm basically repeating your points, but I'm just sharing my thoughts on them.

Uloset

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Uloset
Member since 2010 • 178 Posts

seanmcloughlin

I do as well, but all it takes is for me to flip on the Trinity Broadcasting Network and I'll catch a guy up on stage pushing people down and yelling "you are healed!!!" and there is a stadium worth of individuals eating it all up. If that happens today in a developed county where an overwhelming majority are literate imagine how easy it was when nearly everyone was illiterate and science was basically unknown and only in its infancy among even the most highly educated.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wis3boi

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

Uloset

I do as well, but all it takes is for me to flip on the Trinity Broadcasting Network and I'll catch a guy up on stage pushing people down and yelling "you are healed!!!" and there is a stadium worth of individuals eating it all up. If that happens today in a developed county where an overwhelming majority are literate imagine how easy it was when nearly everyone was illiterate and science was basically unknown and only in its infancy among even the most highly educated.

If there was a time machine and I got one chance to go back in time....you know where I would go and when? Jesus' time. To see how much BS all these tales are.

alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 alexside1

If there was a time machine and I got one chance to go back in time....you know where I would go and when? Jesus' time. To see how much BS all these tales are.

wis3boi

You know... this begs the question of why do you even need to go back in time if you think it's all BS in the first place.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

alexside1

You know... this begs the question of why do you even need to go back in time if you think it's all BS in the first place.

billion of people follow it as concrete fact...if you could go back in time and watch it, record it, i think it'd be interesting

alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 alexside1

[QUOTE="alexside1"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wis3boi

billion of people follow it as concrete fact...if you could go back in time and watch it, record it, i think it'd be interesting

While as the same time you think that it's all BS as a concrete fact. (We all are bias to some degree.) If you actually did the recording thing you most likely create a time paradox.

Ryan_Som

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ryan_Som
Member since 2009 • 2474 Posts

I'm just gonna leave this here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSXhHDjrt6o

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 wis3boi

I'm just gonna leave this here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSXhHDjrt6o

Ryan_Som

goddamn I love that show. I think I've spent a few hundred hours of listening to it while I browse the net and play games since the summer alone