RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

Plans to build a mosque near the London Olympic venue in Newham London were rejected this evening by the council there. The plans for this super-mosque allowed for up to 10,000 worshipers at a time, including a prayer hall for 7500 men and a separate facility for 2000 ladies.

Super Mosque 

"The Abbey Mills Mosque - also known as the Riverine Centre - would have become the biggest Islamic centre in the UK and one of the largest in western Europe.

Council officers recommended councillors refuse permission for expansion on the former industrial land, amid strong opposition and concern about the project."

Councillor Conor McAuley said it was rejected on the grounds that the land is designated for mixed commercial and residential use, there was not enough consideration for transport and it would not have led to more jobs and homes. He said: "That really wasn't good enough."

Community leader Ala Uddin Ahmed said: "There are 90,000 Muslims around the borough. "The Muslim community is growing and there is need for bigger worship. We are extremely let down. We think it is unjust because of the demand of the local people and the Muslim community."

Campaigner Alan Craig of the Christian Peoples Alliance had criticised the proposal, saying it would create a "ghetto" or "Islamic enclave". Some local Muslims had also expressed concerns that it would give one Islamic group too much dominance over the community. 

Tablighi Jamaat currently uses part of the site to house the London Markaz, also referred to as Masjid-e-Ilyas, a temporary hub which can host up to 2,500 people. The Islamic sect, which started in India in the late 1920s, has been accused in the past of radicalising young Muslims. 

Source: BBC News website 

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

Not a fan of any religion, in particular Islam.

Seems to be a very sexist, and intolerant religion. Have you guys seen the series about Muslim faith schools in the UK?

"Never trust a man unless he has a fist full of beard"

"You should hate it out there" referring to secular society

Indoctrinating the kids to hate members of the society in which they live. And some people have the gall to call Islam a religion of peace.

It's a good watch.http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/lessons-hate-violence/

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

From what I can tell, Muslims in Europe tend to bring the extremism with them when moving from the middle east. Glad to say all the middle eastern people I know in the US are some of the most chill and secular people I know. I think Europe needs to wise up and stop respecting 'beliefs' for the sake of respect. Not everything is equal, and I see a lot more extreme behavior out of these folk across the pond than I do here

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RationalAtheist

From what I can tell, Muslims in Europe tend to bring the extremism with them when moving from the middle east. Glad to say all the middle eastern people I know in the US are some of the most chill and secular people I know. I think Europe needs to wise up and stop respecting 'beliefs' for the sake of respect. Not everything is equal, and I see a lot more extreme behavior out of these folk across the pond than I do here

wis3boi

Wise up?

Funny post, that - from what I can tell.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Good. Mega-worship centres are scary.
junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

They already have a giant mosque consisting of millions of square miles of sand better known as the middle east. They can just go there.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RationalAtheist

There does seem to be a trend of these mega-faith centres opening up around me.

For instance, Watchtower House was a large HQ for Jehovas witnesses in my area, near where I grew up. It was built in the 1940's. I've had several doorstep visits in the last couple of months from them and I live 10 miles away now!

xb5302.jpg 

Bhaktivedanta Manor is only a couple of miles from me and is the centre for Hindu and Hare Krishna festivals. They've had to build a new road to it from the main road to stop the massive congestion as thousands of adherents gather there for festivals at certain times of year.

P1010577.JPG

The Manor house was famously donated to them by George Harrison. It is a lovely place to walk round, but nasty inside. I've been for an "indoctrination tour" years ago there that literally nearly killed me. The car parking issues for Hare Krishnas still exist, although local congestion has cleared up a bit.

click?format=go&key=cdee124b11d6baacda6c 

The Swaminarayan temple was recently built in Neasden, North London. It is beautiful.

tmple1rs.jpg 

There's even a Jewish restaurant opening up down the road from me in Elstree, replacing an old pub. They've just erected a huge menorah (candle stick) outside it to draw in their religious clientelle.

I'm spoiled for choice! 

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Does the Jewish place offer delicatessen?
psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

George Harrison? The guitarist from the Beatles?

That's interesting.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RationalAtheist

Does the Jewish place offer delicatessen? Zeviander

I wouldn't think so, but it's not open yet. Competition between delis in my village is already pretty fierce. No lie; the first four letters of the name of this new place are s, h, i and t, then some other letters I'm not sure of. Tasty branding!

George Harrison? The guitarist from the Beatles?

That's interesting.

psymon100

My Sweet Lord, yes.Â