mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

For the person who does not believe there will be any judgment outside of this life, there are only two things which keeps order: conscience and civil/government order.  For this person, if you do something morally wrong and do not get caught then you can get away with it.  At first, this seems appealing when looking at our own wrong doings.  "I will never face responsibility for ----!"

The problem is that this means people who get away with murder, rape, incest, etc. will never be judged in a just fashion.  They will get away free without any form of consequence.  Often times, there will be nothing but temporal social justice and for many, relative morality.  Is there any justice in this?

We could get into what Christians believe regarding this, but I'd prefer the discussion deal more with the atheist's belief in justice for simplicity's sake.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

Your presentation of the incentives behind the notion of justice for non-theists is lacking.

Morals at their basic level become common sense for everyone as they grow up, because they see and observe the world around them, they observe society and can see on what principles it can flourish and prosper. They see what actions bring about negative effects and what actions bring about positive effects and also what causes pleasant feelings. And here a theist would say that satisfaction from retalliation is also a pleasant feeling. But we see that theists are also prone to this confusion that this lacking moral guide can create. Therefore, no divine moral guidance makes a significant difference in defining the fine details.

Because in the end, like Genetic_Code had once mentioned, all religious morals are connected to humanitarian principles. And as their name correctly implies they are standards than man himself has (and can) perceive and live by, and no divine inspiration is the exclusive source for any of them.

And of course my answer is complete with my opinion about the connection of religion and morality in this other thread we have here. :D

EDIT: Also to me a simple rule is "if I start killing, and expect it to be acceptable, then others will kill as well and that puts my life at risk too". The same goes for other wrong actions. And the train of thought in the quotes does not cross the mind at all. I think its a very impulsive one. And thats why I believe its strong.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
Often times, there will be nothing but temporal social justice and for many, relative morality. Is there any justice in this?mindstorm
What is justice then?
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Teenaged

And also, arguments aside, I personally learnt whats right and wrong through what my parents taught me. With their own way the instilled inside me basic morals, but never connected it to our Christian faith.

Morals can be conveyed in many ways other than religion.

And sure again a theist would say that some (actually many) parents are not capable of doing that. So what? Just as the effort to systematise morals was once the Bible, now its the constitution of a country and its laws. In the first you have God as the supreme order and in the second you have abstract notions not connected to something personified.

So is it in the end a comparison of authorities one follows? Yes.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mindstorm

Your presentation of the incentives behind the notion of justice for non-theists is lacking.

Morals at their basic level become common sense for everyone as they grow up, because they see and observe the world around them, they observe society and can see on what principles it can flourish and prosper. They see what actions bring about negative effects and what actions bring about positive effects and also what causes pleasant feelings. And here a theist would say that satisfaction from retalliation is also a pleasant feeling. But we see that theists are also prone to this confusion that this lacking moral guide can create. Therefore, no divine moral guidance makes a significant difference in defining the fine details.

Yes and No.  I do believe there is "divine moral guidance" within all of us which comes from God.

Because in the end, like Genetic_Code had once mentioned, all religious morals are connected to humanitarian principles. And as their name correctly implies they are standards than man himself has (and can) perceive and live by, and no divine inspiration is the exclusive source for any of them.

And of course my answer is complete with my opinion about the connection of religion and morality in this other thread we have here. :D

EDIT: Also to me a simple rule is "if I start killing, and expect it to be acceptable, then others will kill as well and that puts my life at risk too". The same goes for other wrong actions. And the train of thought in the quotes does not cross the mind at all. I think its a very impulsive one. And thats why I believe its strong.

Teenaged

I have no major disagreements (though I believe God has revealed morality to all of us through natural revelation).

However, I still have not had my main question answered, do you believe that if a person is not caught for a horrible act, that it is fine for this person to get away free?

Also, would not a belief in a final judgment cause people, in some sense, act better?

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mindstorm

[quote="mindstorm"]Often times, there will be nothing but temporal social justice and for many, relative morality. Is there any justice in this?ChiliDragon
What is justice then?

Someone is punished for a horrible deed.

And also, arguments aside, I personally learnt whats right and wrong through what my parents taught me. With their own way the instilled inside me basic morals, but never connected it to our Christian faith.

Morals can be conveyed in many ways other than religion.

And sure again a theist would say that some (actually many) parents are not capable of doing that. So what? Just as the effort to systematise morals was once the Bible, now its the constitution of a country and its laws. In the first you have God as the supreme order and in the second you have abstract notions not connected to something personified.

So is it in the end a comparison of authorities one follows? Yes.

Teenaged

I'm not trying to say there is no morality outside of Christianity.  I believe some of the most moral people in the world can be atheists.  I'm just asking if people like Hitler gets away without true punishment for his crimes?

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Teenaged

I have no major disagreements (though I believe God has revealed morality to all of us through natural revelation).

However, I still have not had my main question answered, do you believe that if a person is not caught for a horrible act, that it is fine for this person to get away free?

Also, would not a belief in a final judgment cause people, in some sense, at better?

mindstorm

No it is not fine for this person to get away free.

About this: different motivations work under different conditions and for different people. Although neither of the two ways (being good for humanitarian purposes and being good for the sake of a final judgment) are wrong in my opinion. Both can equally create wonderful characters.

This is how I see it: when you have centuries of human evolution based on the fear of punishment after death, its natural that this imminent change (moral way of life without religion and fear of punishment after death) wont be always 100% successful which gives the wrong impression that the approach is not as effective as the one you advocate (having the fear of punishment after death). Some habits die hard. That doesnt mean they should not die or that the alternative is wrong because it hasnt yet managed to show its potential compared to the habit. Although I do think it has shown its potential with the examples of some mostly-secualr European countries.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ChiliDragon
[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"][quote="mindstorm"]Often times, there will be nothing but temporal social justice and for many, relative morality. Is there any justice in this?mindstorm
What is justice then?

Someone is punished for a horrible deed.

Interesting. Some of the oldest preserved laws from the Viking time don't focus on punishing the criminal but in compensating the victim, to restore their honor, and the criminal was the one to did so. So if you murdered a man, you would pay his family a sum of money that was based on the man's profession and social rank. Once the fine was paid in full, justice had been served in their minds. But you say that justice is impossible without punishment?
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Teenaged

I'm not trying to say there is no morality outside of Christianity.  I believe some of the most moral people in the world can be atheists.  I'm just asking if people like Hitler gets away without true punishment for his crimes?

mindstorm

So, (eternal) damnation after death is a notion we should accept in order to comfort our desire to see the ones we despise suffer immensely (or at least have the delusion that they will suffer in the end)?

Just to please our need for revenge?

Sorry if I am reading to much in to what you say but I cant help it. =/

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mindstorm

Interesting. Some of the oldest preserved laws from the Viking time don't focus on punishing the criminal but in compensating the victim, to restore their honor, and the criminal was the one to did so. So if you murdered a man, you would pay his family a sum of money that was based on the man's profession and social rank. Once the fine was paid in full, justice had been served in their minds. But you say that justice is impossible without punishment?ChiliDragon

In regard to that, there is much that I could say. One difference between the theist and atheist is the notion of life after death.  Those who believe there is no life after death believes our actions have no lasting effects.  As a result, there is going to be a different degree of justice needed to make an action right between the two individuals.

If our bad deeds only do a small about of damage then there only needs to be a small amount of judgment.  If our deeds are eternal, then so is our judgment.

I suppose I will add to my definition of justice "someone is punished for a horrible deed or makes up for that deed." :P

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]

Teenaged

So, (eternal) damnation after death is a notion we should accept in order to comfort our desire to see the ones we despise suffer immensely?

Not as a sense of revenge but as a sense of making things right.  Doing good should be rewarded and doing evil should be punished.

But with the notion of damnation, it possibly could be considered revenge if there was no way to become "out of dept" (aka salvation). I'm not saying that is my belief though.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ChiliDragon
First off, one difference between the theist and atheist is the notion of life after death. Those who believe there is no life after death believes our actions have no lasting effects. As a result, there is going to be a different degree of justice needed to make an action right between the two individuals.mindstorm
I'm not sure that's true. The consequences of our actions live on long after the deed has been done... and they ripple and spread. And they can last for generations.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mindstorm

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]First off, one difference between the theist and atheist is the notion of life after death. Those who believe there is no life after death believes our actions have no lasting effects. As a result, there is going to be a different degree of justice needed to make an action right between the two individuals.ChiliDragon
I'm not sure that's true. The consequences of our actions live on long after the deed has been done... and they ripple and spread. And they can last for generations.

Yes, but not for the person who does the deed.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Teenaged"]So, (eternal) damnation after death is a notion we should accept in order to comfort our desire to see the ones we despise suffer immensely?

mindstorm

Not as a sense of revenge but as a sense of making things right.  Doing good should be rewarded and doing evil should be punished.

But with the notion of damnation, it possibly could be considered revenge if there was no way to become "out of dept" (aka salvation). I'm not saying that is my belief though.

But then we would have to define what is right to retribute to a crime as a punishment.

The equal? More? In accordance to our imulse feelings towards the wrong-doer? Should punishment be of that nature to begin with? Should it not be corrective and not retributive?

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Teenaged

mindstorm

And that assumes that for instance one does not care for the future even when they are not around (in case they are atheists).

I (either if I was atheist or now as an agnostic) sure do care.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ChiliDragon
[QUOTE="mindstorm"]The consequences of our actions live on long after the deed has been done... and they ripple and spread. And they can last for generations.ChiliDragon

How is that relevant? As Teenaged already pointed out, that only matters if the person doing the deed is entirely unconcerned with anyone other than themselves.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Teenaged

[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"][QUOTE="mindstorm"]The consequences of our actions live on long after the deed has been done... and they ripple and spread. And they can last for generations.ChiliDragon

How is that relevant? As Teenaged already pointed out, that only matters if the person doing the deed is entirely unconcerned with anyone other than themselves.

I guess mindstorm implies that a non-theist only cares for what happens in their life-span only.

Which is just an unfounded assumption.

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts
[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

Yes and No. I do believe there is "divine moral guidance" within all of us which comes from God.

mindstorm

Also, would not a belief in a final judgment cause people, in some sense, act better?

To your last comment, i read a stat from this board saying that 70% of the crims in US prisions are christian. How do you view that?
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Teenaged

To your last comment, i read a stat from this board saying that 70% of the crims in US prisions are christian. How do you view that?THUMPTABLE
I never liked that argument to be honest as its statistically more probable to have more Christian criminals in a country which is predominantly Christian.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ChiliDragon
[QUOTE="THUMPTABLE"]
To your last comment, i read a stat from this board saying that 70% of the crims in US prisions are christian. How do you view that?Teenaged
I never liked that argument to be honest as its statistically more probable to have more Christian criminals in a country which is predominantly Christian.

You are completely ruining my argument that since most violent crimes are committed by men I am automatically morally superior to all of you guys! :evil:
THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts
[QUOTE="THUMPTABLE"]
To your last comment, i read a stat from this board saying that 70% of the crims in US prisions are christian. How do you view that?Teenaged

Well you would think that there would be lower crime rate not a higher one!
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Considering atheism isn't a dogmatic set of beliefs, and nothing within the belief itself outlines rules of "justice," I don't understand where this question arises from. "Justice" is a matter of community preservation. I'd like to see a definition of "justice" from you mindstorm.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mindstorm
I guess mindstorm implies that a non-theist only cares for what happens in their life-span only.

Which is just an unfounded assumption.

Teenaged

Not remotely, I'm simply stating that a person who dies cannot be punished for his crimes....

To your last comment, i read a stat from this board saying that 70% of the crims in US prisions are christian. How do you view that?THUMPTABLE

I've never stated that Christians were morally superior.  

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mindstorm

Considering atheism isn't a dogmatic set of beliefs, and nothing within the belief itself outlines rules of "justice," I don't understand where this question arises from. "Justice" is a matter of community preservation. I'd like to see a definition of "justice" from you mindstorm.

foxhound_fox

I'm simply saying that if a person has done something horrible and gets away with it, is it just that he never has to answer for his actions?

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ChiliDragon
I'm simply saying that if a person has done something horrible and gets away with it, is it just that he never has to answer for his actions?mindstorm
But now we're back to whether forcing someone to answer for what they did is a vital component of justice or not? If it's not, then it doesn't matter. And if it is, why is a deity with the power to send someone to hell the only way of accomplishing that?
dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#25 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16026 Posts

For the person who does not believe there will be any judgment outside of this life, there are only two things which keeps order: conscience and civil/government order. For this person, if you do something morally wrong and do not get caught then you can get away with it. At first, this seems appealing when looking at our own wrong doings. "I will never face responsibility for ----!"mindstorm

An attitude like that would probably lead to increasingly worse crimes. There's something wrong if the only reason you won't go on a killing spree is because you believe you'll burn in hell for it. Did you murder anyone you wanted before you became a christian?

The problem is that this means people who get away with murder, rape, incest, etc. will never be judged in a just fashion. They will get away free without any form of consequence.Often times, there will be nothing but temporal social justice and for many, relative morality. Is there any justice in this?

mindstorm

You cannot make a concrete definition of what's just and then ask what justice is.The consequence that they'd face for doing a horrible act like rape is the effect it'll have on the environment around them. Even if we eliminate the possibility of the rapist feeling any remorse whatsoever, the news of the rape will spread like wildfire in the coming weeks. I imagine the whole city would be living in fear the entire time; such as women being afraid to go out in public alone. That's not a society I'd like to live in.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

The world is unjust. Therefore, any true interpretation of the world would lead to that conclusion.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="THUMPTABLE"]

Well you would think that there would be lower crime rate not a higher one!

I am not talking about the crime rates but the ratio of atheist/non-theist criminals to Christian criminals.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I'm simply saying that if a person has done something horrible and gets away with it, is it just that he never has to answer for his actions?

mindstorm

I sense a strong level of revenge in this kind of "justice" you're talking about. Like Old Testament-level revenge. Didn't Jesus tell us to forgive, no matter what?

The reason why we have laws and legal systems is to prosecute those who commit crimes against individuals in the community and the community itself. And I'm of the position that people who commit "horrible" crimes (i.e. rape, murder, torture; of their own volition, and not out of passion) are mentally ill and not entirely in control of their actions. They are still responsible, but "punishment" is not what they need. They need treatment for their mental illness, not to be locked away for the rest of their lives (in a prison at least).

I find it odd how you are unable to extract yourself from your theological standpoint and see it from our perspective. If there is no judgment after we die*, and no reward or punishment, then we are forced to having only this one life, and nothing else. We need to take as much advantage of it as possible and enjoy it as much as we can. So it can be argued that laws were created (from a secular perspective) to help uphold the only lives we get, and when someone does something to someone else that is a detriment to their quality of life which they are striving to take full advantage of, we have a legal system in place with a particular set of restitutive measures.

* - I've been learning in my Death, Dying and Bereavement cIass this year, that "judgment" as a religious iconography in art and sociology in literature and ritual practice was not instituted in Christian ideals surrounding death until the 13th century. Before that, death was viewed as "sleep" until the Last Day and when all the chosen would be taken up to Heaven (the chosen being, everyone who was buried in a Christian church's charnel house or on the grounds and was close to the patron saint).
Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

Who said life was fair?

I know it's a cliche but: "Life's a ***** then you die":P

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

For the person who does not believe there will be any judgment outside of this life, there are only two things which keeps order: conscience and civil/government order.  For this person, if you do something morally wrong and do not get caught then you can get away with it.  At first, this seems appealing when looking at our own wrong doings.  "I will never face responsibility for ----!"

The problem is that this means people who get away with murder, rape, incest, etc. will never be judged in a just fashion.  They will get away free without any form of consequence.  Often times, there will be nothing but temporal social justice and for many, relative morality.  Is there any justice in this?

We could get into what Christians believe regarding this, but I'd prefer the discussion deal more with the atheist's belief in justice for simplicity's sake.

mindstorm

I believe Christian salvation is unjust. A horrible murderer can turn to Christ and receive holy salvation (John 3:16, etc), whereas a moral infidel leads a just life and gets flamey hell.

People don't usually get away with rape or murder, regardless of the prevelent faith. Positive social interaction is a requirement for communal living. It has been way B.C.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

Darwin's quotation comes to mind:

"The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference."

There's no true justice (justice here being defined as desert) within naturalism. Probably the same for atheism.

Avatar image for itsTolkien_time
itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 itsTolkien_time
Member since 2009 • 2295 Posts
Why all the good and evil/justice threads? And how many do we need at the same time? This is the third, I think. -_- In summary, the world is an unjust place. Being just is selectively desirable and improves our quality of life, so yes it exists to atheists. The problem is finding a justice system that works, is sensible, and accepts different views.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 domatron23

Why all the good and evil/justice threads?itsTolkien_time

One thing that I've found about theists is that they're very concerned with values. Good, evil, justice, morality, these are all things that are of the foremost importance and I think in some cases they override.... well reality. Heck the creationism movement is propelled in no small way by the misunderstanding that evolution would bring about immorality.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ChiliDragon
One thing that I've found about theists is that they're very concerned with values. Good, evil, justice, morality, these are all things that are of the foremost importance and I think in some cases they override.... well reality.domatron23
They do make for interesting discussions though... and they are important. The theories about justice, good and evil, and morality, are the basis for a lot of real things, like the court system, the laws, and so on. Effectively, they never over-ride reality, they are very much a part of reality.
Heck the creationism movement is propelled in no small way by the misunderstanding that evolution would bring about immorality. domatron23
Wait, what...? :? Why would it do that?
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Teenaged

Wait, what...? :? Why would it do that?ChiliDragon
Again in fear of severe consequences (aka slippery slope fallacy running wild), they advocated a diametrically opposite position in order to fight back and prevent whatever negative consequences their fears (aka slippery slope fallacy here we go) "told" them that would follow evolution.

>_>

Not of course that that's the only reason.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 domatron23

[QUOTE="domatron23"]One thing that I've found about theists is that they're very concerned with values. Good, evil, justice, morality, these are all things that are of the foremost importance and I think in some cases they override.... well reality.ChiliDragon
They do make for interesting discussions though... and they are important. The theories about justice, good and evil, and morality, are the basis for a lot of real things, like the court system, the laws, and so on. Effectively, they never over-ride reality, they are very much a part of reality.

Well yes of course human affairs are a part of reality. Projecting our affairs onto a cosmic lawgiver oversteps that boundary of reality though.

[QUOTE="domatron23"]Heck the creationism movement is propelled in no small way by the misunderstanding that evolution would bring about immorality. ChiliDragon
Wait, what...? :? Why would it do that?

Ever heard "if you believe we came from monkeys then you can expect us to act like monkies"? What about the common reductio ad hitlerum that is always brought up in regards to the eugenics program of the nazis? These are misunderstandings that I see all the time.

More importantly though evolution undermines a literal Genesis, and if Genesis isn't literally true then (by the sincere belief of some people) there is no basis for morality. The "specialness" of human life has to derive from the direct creation of God. A quick visit to answers in genesis and an input of "evolution morality" should give you more of an idea.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ChiliDragon
]
Well yes of course human affairs are a part of reality. Projecting our affairs onto a cosmic lawgiver oversteps that boundary of reality though.domatron23
I think what theistic moral codes are doing is not so much that, but attributing the reasons for morality onto a cosmic lawgiver. Human affairs are human affairs... but the rules by which we handle them, be they laws made by human society or laws that we attribute to a deity, will remains rules we abide by. For example, every society that has ever lasted long enough to have a recorded history, has had some sort of strict rule against the members senselessly killing each other without good reason. We can debate the reasons for why it is wrong until our faces turn blue and purple, (it harms the survival of the group vs God says it's wrong) but when all is said and done, cutting down your neighbor in the street has never been acceptable behavior in civilized society. Even in feudal Japan, where a samurai was allowed to kill a member of a lower class on the spot if their behavior insulted him, there had to be an insult first. He couldn't simply reply "I just felt like killing someone", when his lord wanted to know why he killed that peasant. He had to give a, for their society, legitimate reason. Moral codes from various religions all in the end look very similar, because in the end they all evolve in the same way towards the same goal: A group of human beings living together in a society that needs to function, for the good of all its members. It's only the origins of the moral values that differ.
Ever heard "if you believe we came from monkeys then you can expect us to act like monkeys"?domatron23
Well, yes, but that's usually where I stop listening. Such a negative view of humanity, and such a fragile faith in our ability to remain a moral society where actions have consequences is, aside from being depressing, so detached from the observable reality around us, that I tend to discard it as willful stupidity on the part of the person saying it, and go do something more interesting than trying to have a discussion with them. If nothing else, I am pretty sure that my high school textbooks on evolution didn't say anything about humans evolving from monkeys specifically, so in addition to the statement you quoted being a rather depressive one, it's also incorrect. I have better things to do than listening to people who either warp facts or ignore them, if they don't fit the conclusion they have already decided is correct. I'll resist my urge to rant about the literal truth of Genesis being the only possible basis for Christian morality, since that's one of the more inane things I have ever heard. No offense meant. :P
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
Morals have nothing to do with religion, but instead the society that a person resides or grew up in. In certain societies/civilisations religion may have codified them, but they have existed in all societies and are necessary in order for co-existance.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#39 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Personally, I am not terribly concerned with "true justice".  People have a sense that if someone hurts someone else, then all will be well once again in the universe if that person is hurt as well, thereby somehow putting the cosmic scales of justice back into balance.  But that just isn't true.  When someone does you wrong, the only scales that are upset are yours and those whom you care about.  If you then hurt that person in return, then you will upset that person's scales, while yours are still left in their unbalanced state.  Then that person, seeing the imbalance now in his life, will do the same back to you, and on it goes.  Both of you now think that you may make the world right again if you only hurt the other person enough.  A good real-world example of this sort of setup is the conflict between Israel and Palestine.

At its very heart, forgiveness is the acceptance of injustice, as it acknowledges that someone has done you wrong, but rather than demanding repayment (i.e., justice), it simply resets the scales and demands nothing.  And I think that is precisely why people have such trouble with forgiveness: they are still in the frame of mind described above, where they feel that if a wrong deed is not repaid in kind, then the universe is out of balance.  But it is, ultimately, the only way to truly get oneself back into balance: to accept what is past and that which cannot be undone, and to disallow it from troubling you any longer.

Avatar image for itsTolkien_time
itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#40 itsTolkien_time
Member since 2009 • 2295 Posts
What Gabu says is true, and in cases as such descibed forgiveness should be practiced. There is another, very important reason people are imprisoned that I would like to mention as an exception to the forgiveness rule. Protection and Safety If someone has injured/killed someone, I would prefer them imprisoned to just being nice and hoping they don't do it again. Some people (serial rapists/killers) are better off dead or imprisoned for the safety of the community.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#41 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
Yes C I think there is still justice.  If one doesn't look to God for justice, as you said we still have the court/jail systems.  If someone falls thru the cracks or gets away with it they will have that hanging over their head forever (guilt hopefully).