Have you ever converted anyone to atheism?

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

Tbh, I'm not even sure this is possible. From what I've seen when you start presenting evidence to a theist of the non existence of a "god" they usually dig in their heels with no intention of budging. Mostly, I think they take it as a personal attack as well as a test from God himself. In many cases I'm pretty sure they think that we are doing the work of....SATAN:o. They should know that we neither communicate with, nor believe in the existence of satan or we wouldn't be atheists -_-. Either way I think it's nigh impossible to convince someone that their religion is non sense. Not to say that we can't plant seeds of doubt that may grow at a later date.

Edit: I know the word "converted" in this regard is a misnomer but using it was the simplest way to convey my thoughts.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

Over here there are less zealots. Simple logic usually works on them. Why are the other religions not right?

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 junglist101

Over here there are less zealots. Simple logic usually works on them. Why are the other religions not right?

psymon100

Here in the US your question would either be deflected or answered by saying that they are false religions, evil, etc.

Your simple logic doesn't work well here.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
I think it's more about sewing the seeds of doubt. Atheism isn't so much something to be "converted" to in as much as it is an acceptance of the universe being indifferent to our existence.
psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

Westboro Baptist Church levels of indoctrination huh?

I've met people so far gone they ignore the logic.

It's a shame.

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

I think big a difference between atheist conversions and religious conversions is the re-enforcement needed to maintain the view. With religious conversions there is often explicit mechanisms of re-enforcement. Things like authority figures, repetition, guided group discussions, fear and other methods of overcoming doubt and crises of faith are implicit in religions, but no such thing really exists with atheism.

You could say that surrounding oneself with atheist propaganda, like reading books on it or watching atheist-flavoured Youtube videos might be a way of immersing in atheism, but these practices are often geared towards asking questions than answering them and expressing doubt rather than instilling confidence.

I wouldn't like to think I've converted anyone to atheism, since being an atheist does not necessarily make one a "better" person (nor does being religious either). I prefer to think I offer my opinion and leave it up to others to consider what to believe for themselves. For me, atheism is a profoundly personal  view.

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 junglist101

I think big a difference between atheist conversions and religious conversions is the re-enforcement needed to maintain the view. With religious conversions there is often explicit mechanisms of re-enforcement. Things like authority figures, repetition, guided group discussions, fear and other methods of overcoming doubt and crises of faith are implicit in religions, but no such thing really exists with atheism.

You could say that surrounding oneself with atheist propaganda, like reading books on it or watching atheist-flavoured Youtube videos might be a way of immersing in atheism, but these practices are often geared towards asking questions than answering them and expressing doubt rather than instilling confidence.

I wouldn't like to think I've converted anyone to atheism, since being an atheist does not necessarily make one a "better" person (nor does being religious either). I prefer to think I offer my opinion and leave it up to others to consider what to believe for themselves. For me, atheism is a profoundly personal view.

RationalAtheist

Considering that a person my not take it so well to know that there is no higher purpose to life, I've often wondered if it is a diservice to an individual to cause them to doubt their faith as long as they aren't harming anyone...

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RationalAtheist

Considering that a person my not take it so well to know that there is no higher purpose to life, I've often wondered if it is a diservice to an individual to cause them to doubt their faith as long as they aren't harming anyone...

junglist101

I agree with that. But conversely someone may be liberated from a restrictive adherence and open up to the many and varied different reasons to get the most out of life. We simply just don't know. I certainly do think an atheist perspective is a more open one than any dogmatic religious view though.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Over the internet, I've definitely turned people skeptic. Real life, no

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

I don't mean to be that guy, but I think the drug culture in certain areas has been helpful in opening up people's eyes to certain facets of their religious beliefs. During my first year of college I smoked a lot of pot, and have done acid three times. It's not that these drugs have led me away from any religious beliefs or anything, but for anybody wanting to lean away from limiting beliefs, the psychical explorations of psychedelics is helpful in fulfilling many aspects of what religion was supposed to fill, but ended up overfilling with arbitrary rules and odd dogma. Psychedelic and psychical self-exploration is a valid alternative for those seeking a deeper meaning in life, one that doesn't involve having to know all the answers, but involves experiencing all that life has to offer through every lens possible.Android339

Well you know what they say....religion is the opium of the people :P

KARL%252520mARX-8x6.jpg

michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
The best I've done is made them think about their beliefs and put the idea into their heads - which they never actually considered before. Not sure though whether I have ever inspired anyone to deconvert (rather than to convert to) from their religion.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
I've discussed atheism with a co-worker of mine. She said she believed that there's something out there. She has since said that she's an atheist, but I think she's a wishy-washy type, no offense to her. She's more of an atheist lite.
junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 junglist101

I don't mean to be that guy, but I think the drug culture in certain areas has been helpful in opening up people's eyes to certain facets of their religious beliefs. During my first year of college I smoked a lot of pot, and have done acid three times. It's not that these drugs have led me away from any religious beliefs or anything, but for anybody wanting to lean away from limiting beliefs, the psychical explorations of psychedelics is helpful in fulfilling many aspects of what religion was supposed to fill, but ended up overfilling with arbitrary rules and odd dogma. Psychedelic and psychical self-exploration is a valid alternative for those seeking a deeper meaning in life, one that doesn't involve having to know all the answers, but involves experiencing all that life has to offer through every lens possible.Android339
People certainly find out about themselves in ways that others may not. From my own observations, what I've seen when it comes to drugs and religion, specifically Christianity, is that it creates guilt and people subsequently turn to God for help. Mostly looking to resolve the guilt and/or stop the substance abuse.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RationalAtheist

People certainly find out about themselves in ways that others may not. From my own observations, what I've seen when it comes to drugs and religion, specifically Christianity, is that it creates guilt and people subsequently turn to God for help. Mostly looking to resolve the guilt and/or stop the substance abuse.

junglist101

The 12 Step Program is a common "cure" for alcoholism (which is the most destructive and pervasive drug in my estimation, as well as statistically speaking). It is found at Alcoholics Anonymous groups and has God built into it:

1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol - that our lives had become unmanageable.

2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.

7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.

8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.

9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

10. Continued to take personal inventory, and when we were wrong, promptly admitted it.

11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs. 

If I was an alcolholic in need of some help, I think I'd prefer to remain drunk, rather than be confronted with that!

In my younger days, I had one of many psychedelic experiences with a group of friends and one of them never recovered from it. He developed a serious schizophrenic condition (that was probably underlying) triggered by his experiences on the trip.

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 junglist101

[QUOTE="junglist101"]

[QUOTE="Android339"]I don't mean to be that guy, but I think the drug culture in certain areas has been helpful in opening up people's eyes to certain facets of their religious beliefs. During my first year of college I smoked a lot of pot, and have done acid three times. It's not that these drugs have led me away from any religious beliefs or anything, but for anybody wanting to lean away from limiting beliefs, the psychical explorations of psychedelics is helpful in fulfilling many aspects of what religion was supposed to fill, but ended up overfilling with arbitrary rules and odd dogma. Psychedelic and psychical self-exploration is a valid alternative for those seeking a deeper meaning in life, one that doesn't involve having to know all the answers, but involves experiencing all that life has to offer through every lens possible.Android339

I've heard of such things happening with heroin, cocaine, pills, and maybe, to a limited extent, marijuana (though it's not that hard to quit it because it's not chemically addictive), but not particularly psychedelics (which also aren't chemically addictive), unless one has a bad trip. I've only ever had good trips (set and setting), but that's because I knew ahead of time that the mindset one is in when one takes the psychedelic is an important factor in the outcome of the trip. Also, there's a reason that psychedelics have been used by many cultures for spiritual reasons for thousands of years.

I can see your an advocate :P

Again, everyone's different. I've had both positive and negative effects from drugs, unfortunately mostly negative. In my personal experience with weed it was quite difficult to quit. It took me several attempts before I could. I think it would be fair to say that it is best not to do any drug on a regular basis, including alcohol. Never took acid although I've tried mushrooms. Not much of a spiritual experience for me. The most profoundly any drug has changed me was the first few times I took ecstasy. Mostly in a positive way although like most things too much or too often is never good.

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 junglist101

[QUOTE="junglist101"]

RationalAtheist

The 12 Step Program is a common "cure" for alcoholism (which is the most destructive and pervasive drug in my estimation, as well as statistically speaking). It is found at Alcoholics Anonymous groups and has God built into it:

1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol - that our lives had become unmanageable.

2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.

7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.

8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.

9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

10. Continued to take personal inventory, and when we were wrong, promptly admitted it.

11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

If I was an alcolholic in need of some help, I think I'd prefer to remain drunk, rather than be confronted with that!

In my younger days, I had one of many psychedelic experiences with a group of friends and one of them never recovered from it. He developed a serious schizophrenic condition (that was probably underlying) triggered by his experiences on the trip.

It's amazing how flawed that list is. What's even more amazing is that I could see myself when I was a Christian, looking at that list, and seeing absolutely no problem with it. In fact, I probably would have told you that it seems like pretty sound advice to me.

Just curious, what (if any) was your religious affiliation?

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Zeviander
Also note, the AA program is used by several states in the US as mandatory during sentencing for drunk driving. So much for the separation of church and state.
Ryan_Som

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ryan_Som
Member since 2009 • 2474 Posts

I don't think I've ever "converted" anyone, but I have had a lot of accusatory questions thrown my way. People who are angry, almost vehement that I could deny their God. That, or just confused how someone could just not believe in something that, to them, appears to be common sense.

My problem is that I don't make sense to people. I don't smoke, I rarely if ever drink, and I've never done a drug in my life. And I'm an atheist. That's the part that trips people out. People assume that without God, you have no code. No morals. No reason whatsoever to be a good person. I try to explain that I simply treat others as I would like to be treated. It's not that hard to not be a dick.

I actually told a co-worker today that I was an atheist. She was apparently a born-again Baptist. She was very steadfast in her beliefs (as I am in my non-belief). I tried to codify my reasoning in a way that wasn't offensive, but one of her viewpoints was a prime example of why I don't believe: Religion makes people incredible judgmental. She mentioned gay marriage and said that she didn't agree with it. I said, "If God has such an issue with gay people, He should stop making them," to which she replied that she believed that homosexuality was a choice.

Now I may come off as a bit of a hypocrite here, but if people didn't invest so heavily in religion then things like gay marriage, abortion, and other so-called "moral issues" would be looked at from a more logical point of view. People get chained to their beliefs and can't think for themselves. And I always have to say, "So if God will judge all these people accordingly anyway...then why do you care? If God exists, He doesn't need you to do his job for him. Unless of course you don't believe He's omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent...which seems likely since you seem to love telling people how to live their lives."

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Zeviander
Logic is, ironically, a choice. People can choose to ignore it, and live in their bubble of ignorance, blissfully content with believing their beliefs. It also isn't something everyone can grasp, let alone understand and apply. To a religionist, 2+2=5 is a perfectly reasonable statement, if supported with "faith" or "divine provenance" (i.e. revelation; "this person said it was true by reason of God speaking to them, so it must be true!"). They don't understand that the logical foundation of such a declaration is unfounded, as "2" has an objectively verified value that cannot be altered, thus making the answer "5" nonsensical. And I know I shouldn't have to clarify, but I will anyways, when I say "religionist", I mean someone who runs their life by their religion, and does not acknowledge the value of science or anything else outside of their holy book.
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RationalAtheist

I've been thinking recently that there is not really enough of a difference between logic as it applies to a religious person's views and it's difference to the logic that leads to an atheist view. Logic is the justification of a particular reasoning. I don't think it is a panacea or significant differentiator as it applies to reaching decisions.

The logic used is inductive logic, unlike the deduction used in maths. So much scientific endeavour has also been founded on inference - on the generealised probability that a particular statement will be true. It is only those inferences that turn out to be correct under testing that get the attention and the many more that don't pan out are cast out into obscurity.

I'm not keen on logic being paraded as some badge of honour on either side, since I don't see it as a choice that can be ignored - I see it more as an opportunity to show why people think like they do that is rarely taken.

Sorry for seeming contentious and please don't take this as some personal attack.