btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 0

#1 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
Not too creative, I know.  But wanted to gauge how people here feel about global warming.  Man made, hoax, natural occurrence, ect..
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

Actually this is one thing that I'm really not sure about. I haven't educated myself on the subject enough to have a worthwhile opinion so I'll just go ahead and tick the "not sure" box.

I hear from a reliable source though that it's all bs.

TenP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 TenP
Member since 2006 • 3338 Posts

I believe that Global Warming is a natural process that's been sped up to a certain degree by man. Pollution does nothing good for the Earth or it's life and I believe it should be kept to a minimal amount. There's no way to stop pollution completely, but I'm sure there are ways to supress it for the most part.

I hear from a reliable source though that it's all bs.domatron23

I like that they accept the opinion of 650 scientists when thousands and thousands say otherwise, even when the Pope says that pollution is a deadly sin. But then again I'm sure many in the TCWU are protestants and don't give a flying **** what the Pope says.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 btaylor2404

Source, lol.  I tried to post there, forgot we're not allowed.  :)  So I kinda poached the topic, but wanted to see how our union felt about the subject.  I cannot for the life of me see how believing in global warming goes against the Bible.

I guess I should add my response to the question.  I think it is 100% caused by us. It's a perfect storm with pollution, massive population explosion, and no effort to curb any of it.  I'm fascinated by how once the ball gets rolling on temp rise it snowballs even more and more, ie: the loss of the Amazon Rain Forest.  No scientist worth his or her degree that I have ever heard or read thinks otherwise.  And if we go up 2 degrees Fahrenheit in the next 100 years it will be catastrophic.

TenP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TenP

I cannot for the life of me see how believing in global warming goes against the Biblebtaylor2404

It really doesn't, what it goes against is their political affiliation.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 btaylor2404

[QUOTE="btaylor2404"]I cannot for the life of me see how believing in global warming goes against the BibleTenP

It really doesn't, what it goes against is their political affiliation.

Very good point.

Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
I think its mostly man-made. There may be some truth in the natural cycle thing, but all that pollution we've been pumping out for the past 200 years certainly hasn't helped anything. And, when you take in to account the amount of trees cut down in the same period, we're doing a lot of damage. Even if we haven't completely caused it, surely its a good thing to get rid of cars and power plants that pollute the air we have to breathe.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts
It's hillarious that some of my classmates when they heard that in case of the ice melt down in antarctica the sea level will rise a meter or two they simply said: "Pffff! So what is one or two meters!" Thinking propably that two meters would be enough to cover the sand in the beaches.
TenP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TenP

It's hillarious that some of my classmates when they heard that in case of the ice melt down in antarctica the sea level will rise a meter or two they simply said: "Pffff! So what is one or two meters!" Thinking propably that two meters would be enough to cover the sand in the beaches.Teenaged

Har har, not to mention that the ice in the polar ice caps is FRESH water and adding all of that FRESH water to all of that SALT water will have quite a devastating effect.

You know: animals and plants die, the gulf stream gets royally ****ed and the repercussions on land will be life threatening.

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]It's hillarious that some of my classmates when they heard that in case of the ice melt down in antarctica the sea level will rise a meter or two they simply said: "Pffff! So what is one or two meters!" Thinking propably that two meters would be enough to cover the sand in the beaches.TenP

Har har, not to mention that the ice in the polar ice caps is FRESH water and adding all of that FRESH water to all of that SALT water will have quite a devastating effect.

You know: animals and plants die, the gulf stream gets royally ****ed and the repercussions on land will be life threatening.

That outcome would have similar repercussions as this then: "A third of the sea turned into blood, a third of the living creatures in the sea died" - Revelation 8:8-9

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts

I hear from a reliable source though that it's all bs.

domatron23
Heh, I'm not surprised. The TCWU believe what they want to believe.
creepy_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 creepy_mike
Member since 2007 • 1092 Posts

Denial of man's responsiblity for global warming is pretty much identical to (and usually accompanied by) creationism. That is to say, its an almost exclusively American knee-jerk rejection of well-established science on grounds that it contradicts certain people's worldview/agenda.

It's a classic case of manufactored contraversy; getting just the right amout important-looking PhD's with desks and business suits to say they disagree with something in order to confuse the ignorant public (again, creationism).

Of course, convincng the "skeptics" that it is true wouldn't make the least bit of difference, given their solemn vow to not care about the environment at all, ever. There are no "deforestation skeptics", "air polution dissidents" or "endangered species alternativists", but there are, however, plenty of folks willing to turn a blind eye to it all, lest they fall into the "pinko commie bleeding heart liberal pansy environmental wacko" pigeonhole.

Besides, Jesus did say about 2,000 years ago that the end of the world would be comming "soon", and it would be a most extravagent waste for every god-fearing Republican to be raptured out with parts of the planet left unspoiled.

/rant

Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

I'm pretty sure that the recent warming is due to the greenhouse effect, which has increased due to the burning of fossil fuels.

funnily enough, a distorted version of Pascal's Wager comes into play here, which pretty much destroys any 'no human responsibility' argument, unless convincing evidence was presented that would prove that humans aren't responsible.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Funky_Llama

I'm pretty sure that the recent warming is due to the greenhouse effect, which has increased due to the burning of fossil fuels.

funnily enough, a distorted version of Pascal's Wager comes into play here, which pretty much destroys any 'no human responsibility' argument, unless convincing evidence was presented that would prove that humans aren't responsible.

MetalGear_Ninty
Pascal's Wager hinges on people having nothing to lose from being theists. Going green, on the other hand, costs a lot of time, effort and money.
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts
Whether it exists or not, I dont see how anyone can be against limiting the amount of gasses we release into the atmosphere.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#16 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
I'm of the opinion that it is natural. I'm sure men has had some input, but I doubt it's to the extent where men have had severe repercussions.
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MetalGear_Ninty
[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]

Funky_Llama

Pascal's Wager hinges on people having nothing to lose from being theists. Going green, on the other hand, costs a lot of time, effort and money.

Not in the long run, as use of non-fossil fuel alternatives should save us money. Also, effort and time is unavoidable, as fossil fuels aren't going to last forever, so we must invest in alternatives.

And still the Pascal's wager link is apt, as mass floodings and deaths is surely worse than those three things you stated.

MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MetalGear_Ninty

I can't believe in the world's most powerful nation -- America, a large percentage of people are still debating this.

In Britain, there is hardly any debate, as we accept what the well-informed scientists tell us. :(

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]

MetalGear_Ninty

Not in the long run, as use of non-fossil fuel alternatives should save us money. Also, effort and time is unavoidable, as fossil fuels aren't going to last forever, so we must invest in alternatives.

And still the Pascal's wager link is apt, as mass floodings and deaths is surely worse than those three things you stated.

Really? I always thought they'd be more expensive. I stand corrected. :P

And burning in hell would be worse than being bored in Church or something...

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Funky_Llama

In Britain, there is hardly any debate, as we accept what the well-informed scientists tell us. :(

MetalGear_Ninty
Prepare for Lansdowne5 to accuse you of faith and jump up and down on your head.
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MetalGear_Ninty
[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]

Funky_Llama

Prepare for Lansdowne5 to accuse you of faith and jump up and down on your head.

Okay, I'll elaborate.

With all the evidence that has been shown in favour of 'man-made' global warming.