Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts

An interesting thought came into mind recently, gonna share it.

Say God's existence was a fact (hypothetically) and he gave us free will (choice to choose between good and evil). We all know of the countless horrors and atrocities that have happened over the course of human history, war, murder, general evil things~ So now for the question.

Do you think free will was too much responsibility for man to handle? Would it be better if we were programmed to be good and not commit evil? but in turn jeopardize our free will? Or do you simply beleive God was in the wrong for giving us choice?

Express on this.

7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 7guns
Member since 2006 • 1449 Posts

In other words we wouldn't be anything more than just robots in a car factory.

Also, without free will all these scriptures, religious teachings, heaven and hell would be meaningless, because we would simply act according to the brain (a circuit to be more specific) and nothing else would matter.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

I suppose he could have made us without freewill nor the want for freedom and we would have been blissfully ignorant.

But seeing as how you are trying to get us thinking about a theodicy I may as well agree with you. I would prefer to have freewill plus the consequences that follow rather than not.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#4 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
Ok, assuming there is a God as you described above. I think free will isn't too much responsibility. It's a must for our society to move past the Stone Age. Otherwise we would never accomplish both ends of the spectrum, greatness and horrible evil.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
God could have given us free will, and simply not have made humans so selfish and unpleasant.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
The problem of evil is one of the weakest arguments for atheism. I enjoy how imperfect the world is, because it teaches us to learn from our imperfections. If God so gave us a choice to do whatever atrocity we so desire, then I respect His choice and I give Him credit for not allowing this world to be so static, like heaven or the Garden of Eden, where we were programmed to not feel shame or know no misery.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 123625

God could have given us free will, and simply not have made humans so selfish and unpleasant.Funky_Llama

Hmmm, perhaps its not that he made us that way, but so much as it is humans became that way, and you also gotta love the self control he's given us.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Funky_Llama

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]God could have given us free will, and simply not have made humans so selfish and unpleasant.123625

Hmmm, perhaps its not that he made us that way, but so much as it is humans became that way, and you also gotta love the self control he's given us.

But that makes no sense... humans don't control their impulses. The only person responsible for how we're coded is God.
tzar3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tzar3
Member since 2006 • 12393 Posts
If humans were made simply to do good all the times, this world would be incredibly boring. Just like Genetic_Code said, the imperfect things of the world is what makes us grow into stronger individuals who can deal with such things. Besides, I need some fun once in a while, not be "good" all the damn times.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 123625
[QUOTE="123625"]

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]God could have given us free will, and simply not have made humans so selfish and unpleasant.Funky_Llama

But that makes no sense... humans don't control their impulses. The only person responsible for how we're coded is God.

I wasn't refferring to impulses, but being selfish and unpleasent. Also gotta love that we were given self control.

7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 7guns
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="123625"]

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]God could have given us free will, and simply not have made humans so selfish and unpleasant.123625

I wasn't refferring to impulses, but being selfish and unpleasent. Also gotta love that we were given self control.

May I say that you cannot have one without the other. All these different qualities we have like: free will, selfishness, self control, impulses, etc are all part of the one single equation, where if one is taken out another part on the other side will have to cease to exist. Such as selfishness. Doesn't it seem like both selfishness and our survival instinct are somewhat on the same line? I know it's a massive stretch of their individual meanings but can you say our will to survive is selfless ? 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 123625
[QUOTE="123625"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="123625"]

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]God could have given us free will, and simply not have made humans so selfish and unpleasant.7guns

May I say that you cannot have one without the other. All these different qualities we have like: free will, selfishness, self control, impulses, etc are all part of the one single equation, where if one is taken out another part on the other side will have to cease to exist. Such as selfishness. Doesn't it seem like both selfishness and our survival instinct are somewhat on the same line? I know it's a massive stretch of their individual meanings but can you say our will to survive is selfless ?

Technically wanting to survive is selfish, but it doesn't mean its a bad thing.

7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 7guns
[QUOTE="7guns"][QUOTE="123625"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="123625"]

May I say that you cannot have one without the other. All these different qualities we have like: free will, selfishness, self control, impulses, etc are all part of the one single equation, where if one is taken out another part on the other side will have to cease to exist. Such as selfishness. Doesn't it seem like both selfishness and our survival instinct are somewhat on the same line? I know it's a massive stretch of their individual meanings but can you say our will to survive is selfless ?

Technically wanting to survive is selfish, but it doesn't mean its a bad thing.

Exactly my point!

Then may be selfishness isn't totally a bad thing. Sure, there are some boundaries to be maintained but I can't quite figure out how would it be like to be selfless.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Funky_Llama

Then may be selfishness isn't totally a bad thing. Sure, there are some boundaries to be maintained but I can't quite figure out how would it be like to be selfless.

7guns
Indeed... ideally, a happy medium should be struck between selfishness and selfnessless.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="123625"]

Oh... but isn't it still a bit odd that God created a species that was selfish, and then condemned it on that basis? Our selfishness is after all based on those impulses.
7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 7guns
[QUOTE="7guns"]

Funky_Llama

Indeed... ideally, a happy medium should be struck between selfishness and selfnessless.

Yep!

All I'm saying that both sides of the equation has to be balanced.

Love and hate, pain and pleasure, happiness and misery, rich and poor, survival instinct and self interest are all relative terms. They all exist in groups of two or sometimes even more. How can it be possible to love but unable to hate, be happy but not sad? How is it possible that you just fight off a burgler to save yourself and your money risking your life and then donated the money to some stranger who doesn't have enough to buy some dvds?

I think balance is the key!

Strategist1117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Strategist1117
Member since 2006 • 5954 Posts
Without free will, what would be the purpose of God creating us in the first place? If he does exist, I think he would have created us more out of curiosity of what would happen if we had free will than anything else.
Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sitri_
Member since 2008 • 731 Posts

I don't beleive in a true free will, but suppose we do have free will, it most certainly exist on a spectrum and is not an either or situation.  We have basic human drives, motivations and wants that do not arrise by will.  All of these things currupt the idea of free will at least to some degree, so "god" could tweek the motivators and tweek free will, assuming we have some level of it. 

And as for free will being like an experiment for god, it would imply that god is not omnicient, because he doesn't already know what is going to happen.  Why not cut to the chase and get on with the judging of all the people who ever lived as soon as he creates them, rather than waiting for them to go through the motions of a game where he set up the rules.

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts
[QUOTE="123625"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="123625"]

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]God could have given us free will, and simply not have made humans so selfish and unpleasant.Funky_Llama

Oh... but isn't it still a bit odd that God created a species that was selfish, and then condemned it on that basis? Our selfishness is after all based on those impulses.

The bottom line is, God created a species that was perfect. Whatever happened after that point is down to us. 

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Funky_Llama

The bottom line is, God created a species that was perfect. Whatever happened after that point is down to us. 

Lansdowne5
Wrong. Humans are incapable of altering their DNA. ;)
Strategist1117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Strategist1117
And as for free will being like an experiment for god, it would imply that god is not omnicient, because he doesn't already know what is going to happen. Why not cut to the chase and get on with the judging of all the people who ever lived as soon as he creates them, rather than waiting for them to go through the motions of a game where he set up the rules. Sitri_
He could've just done it out of amusement. Not all omniscient beings have to be benign, you know.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

HI. I believe that people have a tendence to label things generaly. I've used that example before: Suppose there is an infant that through all of his life people tell him "you are stupid" "you are worthless" etc. wouldn't the child actualy act like a stupid and worthless person or at least won't he always feel the fear that he may actualy be those things and won't those fears lead him sometimes to fail.

So once religion labels people as sinners because of the symbolic story (not an actual fact) of Adam and Eve, won't most people fear that evil will be part of their nature no matter what their efforts are? Religion does give advice on how to achieve this but this feat in the end by the scripts themselves is pictured as something so hard to achieve that you don't know if it's worth it. So, the problem is not free will, but the way the notions of evil and good have been preached to people. The Good being a hard way of sacrifices with the subtitles being heaven, and the Evil something you already have.

7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 7guns

HI. I believe that people have a tendence to label things generaly. I've used that example before: Suppose there is an infant that through all of his life people tell him "you are stupid" "you are worthless" etc. wouldn't the child actualy act like a stupid and worthless person or at least won't he always feel the fear that he may actualy be those things and won't those fears lead him sometimes to fail.

So once religion labels people as sinners because of the symbolic story (not an actual fact) of Adam and Eve, won't most people fear that evil will be part of their nature no matter what their efforts are? Religion does give advice on how to achieve this but this feat in the end by the scripts themselves is pictured as something so hard to achieve that you don't know if it's worth it. So, the problem is not free will, but the way the notions of evil and good have been preached to people. The Good being a hard way of sacrifices with the subtitles being heaven, and the Evil something you already have.

Teenaged

I see your point and I agree with you on this puzzle but there is no absolute free will either. I mean something has to govern our will. What will be the use of our free will if there is nothing to motivate us to use our free will to do anything? Some things will always govern our free-will or will...or whatever. For example, a person will always try to save himself when attacked by a tiger. That much can be counted on but will he run or take a stand or get a shot gun to shoot the tiger or jump in the pool full of crocodiles because he can deal with crocodiles but not tiger, we don't know for sure!  

This term is dang confusing!:x It shouldn't exist! 

Strategist1117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Strategist1117
I have nothing motivating my free will except my personal interests. For example, in order to buy expensive things, I work at a good paying job. I don't have to do it, but I want to.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

HI. I believe that people have a tendence to label things generaly. I've used that example before: Suppose there is an infant that through all of his life people ... The Good being a hard way of sacrifices with the subtitles being heaven, and the Evil something you already have.

7guns

I see your point and I agree with you on this puzzle but there is no absolute free will either. I mean something has to govern our will. What will be the use of our free will if there is nothing to motivate us to use our free will to do anything? Some things will always govern our free-will or will...or whatever. For example, a person will always try to save himself when attacked by a tiger. That much can be counted on but will he run or take a stand or get a shot gun to shoot the tiger or jump in the pool full of crocodiles because he can deal with crocodiles but not tiger, we don't know for sure!

This term is dang confusing!:x It shouldn't exist!

You mean that hard times and perilous situations are the ones that challenge us to use our free will? So you are implying that if people didn't think evil was in them then there would be nothing for them to motivate them to do good? I personaly think that everything is a habit. We are used to only hang on to the challenging moments (I've read posts from people saying life would be boring without conflict! And they are right. But isn't that valid because we are used to deal with conflict?) Once you get rid of the conflict (don't ask me how I just want to show you what's beyond) there are other things you can challenge your brain and free will with without necessarily having something to threaten you to do it. You'll say that that's part of being human (the need of a fear to motivate) I just believe that there is an ideal "version" of human beings that can be achieved on this life not the next and certainly not with the help of religion.
7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 7guns

You mean that hard times and perilous situations are the ones that challenge us to use our free will? So you are implying that if people didn't think evil was in them then there would be nothing for them to motivate them to do good? I personaly think that everything is a habit. We are used to only hang on to the challenging moments (I've read posts from people saying life would be boring without conflict! And they are right. But isn't that valid because we are used to deal with conflict?) Once you get rid of the conflict (don't ask me how I just want to show you what's beyond) there are other things you can challenge your brain and free will with without necessarily having something to threaten you to do it. You'll say that that's part of being human (the need of a fear to motivate) I just believe that there is an ideal "version" of human beings that can be achieved on this life not the next and certainly not with the help of religion.Teenaged

I didn't mean that. Some things motivate people to do good things but evil doesn't have to be one of those things. Moreover, the word "evil" gets it's meaning from scriptures. So this idea of evil inside us won't motivate everyone.

Yes, we are creatures of habit and we are comfortable in doings things we've done before but I don't think this law of habit apply to most situationsonly only by itself.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]You ...help of religion.7guns

I didn't mean that. Some things motivate people to do good things but evil doesn't have to be one of those things. Moreover, the word "evil" gets it's meaning from scriptures. So this idea of evil inside us won't motivate everyone.

Yes, we are creatures of habit and we are comfortable in doings things we've done before but I don't think this law of habit apply to most situationsonly only by itself.

I was just asking. Didn't mean anything beyond the actual questions just wasn't sure what you meant, that's all.