Alter_Ego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Alter_Ego
Member since 2002 • 884 Posts
To help set the tone for this discussion, here is a scene from a classic game. Now then, several months ago, 20/20 from ABC did a special about several scenarios that could bring about the extinction of mankind. If you want to check out what they said, go here (for one example anyway). It ranged from black holes to asteroids, pandemics to nuclear war, gamma ray bursts to self aware machines. For the purposes of this discussion, let's imagine an asteroid has been discovered and it will hit the earth in about one month, not enough time to deflect it in any way, but enough time for it to sink in that it's coming. As atheists, how would you react to such a situation? What's your take on the whole end of the world mentality that's become so prevalent nowadays?
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

Well the first thing to do would be to try and stop it but I presume we're talking about something inevitable here.

I'd probably indulge myself in acts of extreme hedonism.

felixlynch777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 felixlynch777
Member since 2008 • 1787 Posts
Well the end of the World is inevitable anyway. I would just accept it, and look back at history to see what the human race has accomplished and admire them. And then I would just wait until it happens.
7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 7guns
Member since 2006 • 1449 Posts
If possible I would do anything to stop it from happening but unfortunately if that is not the case I would let go of all my troubling thoughts and try to enjoy my last days on earth with the people closest to me.
SimpJee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SimpJee
Member since 2002 • 18309 Posts

If possible I would do anything to stop it from happening but unfortunately if that is not the case I would let go of all my troubling thoughts and try to enjoy my last days on earth with the people closest to me. 7guns

I agree, I'd do something similar after working together with everyone to try to figure out how to stop it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
I don't like many apocalptic scenarios. I think they're all assumptious for the most part. There was a chance that the Earth could've been destroyed years and generations ago, but it never came. The Earth has existed for 4.5 billion years and in that time, it has changed drastically but it never ceased to exist. I'm sure that the Earth probably has a lot to go through before it ever sees its end, or perhaps it will end before you even complete reading this post. Am I wrong?
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#7 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
If it were inevitable, I would do nearly the same, but probably stop working. Spending as much time with my family as possible, which I do right now. I wouldn't be running to church.
Enosh88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Enosh88
Member since 2008 • 1728 Posts

If possible I would do anything to stop it from happening but unfortunately if that is not the case I would let go of all my troubling thoughts and try to enjoy my last days on earth with the people closest to me. 7guns

this, along with that I would drop out of school and try to a lot of crazy stuff like taking flying lessons, jumping off a plane, going to a trip around europe etc etc, basicly live life to it's fullest

well thats in case society would still actualy function, a lot of people would go crazy with an announcement like this, maybe even resulting in anarchy

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#10 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
Good topic Alter_Ego. I would spend as much time with my family as possible. As much as I've read the book of Revelations, I think it's the writings of a mad man, and I would not change my beliefs one bit. Just enjoy what time I have left with the one's I love.
Strategist1117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Strategist1117
Member since 2006 • 5954 Posts

I would steal someone's credit card/cash/etc. and buy whatever I want and do everything I ever wanted to.

rogan4310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 rogan4310
Member since 2007 • 5160 Posts
Well I dont know what I would do really. I am guessing that to start off with I would spend alot of time with my family and friends, dropping out of school. I would also do everything that has always interested me, such as sailing/flying through the bermuda triangle, visiting Area 51 that sort of thing...
Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sitri_
Member since 2008 • 731 Posts

Well since the credit system would be completely destoryed I would have to assume everything would be free or unatainable. This could go two ways on whether things get very violent or very loving and that would affect whether I stayed in a large city or not. Either way I think I would like to live out my last days in a more liberal area than I am in now.

But I have a feeling that wasn't what you were interested in. Would I prostrate myself due to the shifting stakes for pascal's wager? I really don't think so. I am happy with my life view and don't need an afterlife. If however I did find myself adapting some spirituality due to some mind rattled state of panic, I am certain it wouldn't pay homage to any religion. There is just too much that is simply unbelievable in them no matter how much you would want it to be true.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

Did you forget the billion or am I more than four times as old as Earth?

JLCrogue

I forgot the billion. :P