Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Frattracide
Member since 2005 • 5395 Posts

If you would like to see a topic added, please let me know

----Philosophy and Religion----
Is Scientisim a prevalent Philosophy in the atheist community?
What is religion?
What is a cult?
Is morality objective?

Is it always irrational to believe in God?

Can faith be rational?

Is Atheism a positive belief?

----Religion in Education----
Is it ethical to teach religion to children?
Should religion be taught in public schools?
Is the bible a historically accurate document?

----Religion in Politics----
Is it acceptable for religious entities to expect non believers to follow (moral precept)?

Should religious leadership advocate government policy?

Is the U.S. founded on christian principles?

----Religion in Science----
Is (Sacred religious text) a scientific document?
Has the (Sacred religious text) been changed as scientific understanding progressed?
Should the scientific community follow the (moral precept) of (Religious entity)?
----Religion in society----
Is the US/world in a state of Moral Decline?
Should the (Sacred religious text) be interpreted differently as society changes?

Should a religion be judged based on the actions of its followers?

Is religion the foundation of the west's moral standards? 

----Religious interpretation----

Does the Bible suggest a flat earth?

Does the qur'an advocate violence against non believers?

Does (Sacred religious text) label Apostasy a crime?

Are the creation accounts metaphorical?

Are the apocalypse accounts metaphorical?  

Is buddhism a religion?

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#2 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15993 Posts
I've got one: Is faith rational or can it be rational?
Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Frattracide
added
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

There are many topics I would personally love to tackle.  The only reason I have not started them is because I simply do not have the time to put forth the needed effort to discussing those topics.  Also, there seems to not be many in this particular forum with my specific perspective and I hate the idea of that perspective never even being addressed simply because I might not have the time.  Some of those topics are the following:

The historicity of religion: For those who claim Christianity is a myth, at what point are its claims true and at what point are they false?

Has the New Testament canon been changed over the centuries or is the texts we have accurate renditions of the original? If they are correct, did the writers believe what they wrote to be true?

Putting forth one's own morality within politics: At what point is it right for one to insert his religious beliefs within governmental law?  At what point are we to expect others to live by our own morality and what point not?

Is one's religious or nonreligious beliefs truly based on seeking after facts as one claims or is much of the debate often rooted more within emotion?  As an example, is the issue of the Problem of Evil more an emotional problem or a logical one?

These are just a few discussions I have considered lately but, as said, simply have not had much time to devote to such things lately.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

The historicity of religion: For those who claim Christianity is a myth, at what point are its claims true and at what point are they false? mindstorm

I definitely want to see this one, and not limit it to just Christianity. I may participate, but my knowledge about Christian history is poor, but think Gabu would be a prime participant to argue in favour of both sides. I don't deny the historicity of religious texts, but feel too much emphasis is put on the factuality of any of the supernatural elements... which better apply as moral lessons built on boring original events, but are "improved" to make a greater impact. It is a proven part of any religion that makes a supernatural claim, that it was based on a real event but is drawn through the "telephone" too many times. Even non-religious texts suffer from it (i.e. Homer's Iliad).

I'd definitely participate in a debate in the definition and labeling of non-belief. I'd argue that everyone who would technically be "atheist" isn't necessarily atheist, since non-belief is as broad in scope as religion.

Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Frattracide

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]The historicity of religion: For those who claim Christianity is a myth, at what point are its claims true and at what point are they false? foxhound_fox

I definitely want to see this one, and not limit it to just Christianity. I may participate, but my knowledge about Christian history is poor, but think Gabu would be a prime participant to argue in favour of both sides. I don't deny the historicity of religious texts, but feel too much emphasis is put on the factuality of any of the supernatural elements... which better apply as moral lessons built on boring original events, but are "improved" to make a greater impact. It is a proven part of any religion that makes a supernatural claim, that it was based on a real event but is drawn through the "telephone" too many times. Even non-religious texts suffer from it (i.e. Homer's Iliad).

I'd definitely participate in a debate in the definition and labeling of non-belief. I'd argue that everyone who would technically be "atheist" isn't necessarily atheist, since non-belief is as broad in scope as religion.

I'm trying to come up with a way to phrase that question in a more specific manner. Something along the lines of

"Are the historic events of (sacred religious text) an accurate account of history?" but that still seems too vauge. Volumes have been written on this subject by some of the smartest men who ever lived, I don't think a 500 post discussion would do it justice.   

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
That is definitely true. But I think we'd need to highly limit which text, and which part of the text we choose to debate (like pick one book, such as Job or Noah). I'd also be more than willing to argue Buddhism, but I'd probably want to choose the negative view because I hate how much praise it gets for being "not a religion" when it is in essence very much a religion.
Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

I had an envigorated discussion on another forum aboiut atheism being more than a lack of belief in God(s), although it has been apprached here before, I think.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RationalAtheist

I had an envigorated discussion on another forum about atheism being more than a lack of belief in God(s), although it has been apprached here before, I think. i.e. Can atheism be both a belief and a lack of belief?

Other stuff: 

Are there non-spiritual equivalents of spiritual feelings, or are they reserved for the faithful?

Is relgion coercive?  

Are Lady Gaga's "Pray For Japan" wristbands going to work? 

RationalAtheist

I've gone and quoted myself there, but I still stand by all of it. 

12thArcane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 12thArcane
Member since 2011 • 102 Posts
I have a fun one... Does the Omnipotence Paradox imply that "an omnipotent being" doesn't exist?
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

I have a fun one... Does the Omnipotence Paradox imply that "an omnipotent being" doesn't exist?12thArcane

I'd be keen to take on that one. I would argue for the negative, no the paradox does not imply the non-existence of an omnipotent god.

Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Frattracide

Alright, I've updated the list to include the suggestions I've seen posted as well as a few ideas of my own. Right now, most of the topics are weighted against religion and I would like to change that. It is easy to be critical of ideas that you don't agree with, inversely it is much more difficult to criticize your own positions, that is why I am counting on our religious posters to submit ideas for debate topics. Preferably, topics that will require a little more heavy lifting by the atheist position.   

If there is anything I have missed, please let me know.

JLCrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JLCrogue
Member since 2004 • 6042 Posts

I have a paradox for you:

In order to know that there is no god you have to have been everywhere in the Universe and know everything about it to prove there isn't any gods or goddesses, but that is omniscience or omnipresence and that is a quality reserved for only dieties. Therefore in order to know that there is no god you have to be a god. That is why athiesm is a contradiction. Agnosticism is far more logical and knowledgable, because you're admitting that you don't know if god exists. It is wiser to admit that you don't know something when it comes to a topic that you truly don't know much about.

Here's another interesting idea:

Technically all gods, angels and demons are extraterrestrials, because they're from beyond Earth, which is the definition of extra (beyond) terrestrial (Earth). I believe that all of these beings that visited Earth thousands of years ago that posed as gods and goddesses were most likely aliens. Why would Apollo need a chariot to fly around the Earth in? A chariot is just how people described what they saw as a UFO. That's not to say that there isn't an actual god out there, but rather the gods people have worshipped are all just aliens with advanced technology, which looked like magic to their primitive minds.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RationalAtheist
[QUOTE="JLCrogue"]I have a paradox for you: In order to know that there is no god you have to have been everywhere in the Universe and know everything about it to prove there isn't any gods or goddesses, but that is omniscience or omnipresence and that is a quality reserved for only dieties. Therefore in order to know that there is no god you have to be a god. That is why athiesm is a contradiction. Agnosticism is far more logical and knowledgable, because you're admitting that you don't know if god exists. It is wiser to admit that you don't know something when it comes to a topic that you truly don't know much about.

That is an interesting and valid perspective - which I share. I'd describe myself as an "agnostic atheist" - i.e. I don't claim to know that there is no God, but I don't believe there is. I think this position is far more rational than making claims to things like aliens, UFOs, or Gods being responsible for our existence. [QUOTE="JLCrogue"] Here's another interesting idea: Technically all gods, angels and demons are extraterrestrials, because they're from beyond Earth, which is the definition of extra (beyond) terrestrial (Earth). I believe that all of these beings that visited Earth thousands of years ago that posed as gods and goddesses were most likely aliens. Why would Apollo need a chariot to fly around the Earth in? A chariot is just how people described what they saw as a UFO. That's not to say that there isn't an actual god out there, but rather the gods people have worshipped are all just aliens with advanced technology, which looked like magic to their primitive minds.

What evidence do you have for your belief and how strongly are you open to changing it?
JLCrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JLCrogue

[QUOTE="JLCrogue"]I have a paradox for you: In order to know that there is no god you have to have been everywhere in the Universe and know everything about it to prove there isn't any gods or goddesses, but that is omniscience or omnipresence and that is a quality reserved for only dieties. Therefore in order to know that there is no god you have to be a god. That is why athiesm is a contradiction. Agnosticism is far more logical and knowledgable, because you're admitting that you don't know if god exists. It is wiser to admit that you don't know something when it comes to a topic that you truly don't know much about. RationalAtheist
That is an interesting and valid perspective - which I share. I'd describe myself as an "agnostic atheist" - i.e. I don't claim to know that there is no God, but I don't believe there is. I think this position is far more rational than making claims to things like aliens, UFOs, or Gods being responsible for our existence.
Here's another interesting idea: Technically all gods, angels and demons are extraterrestrials, because they're from beyond Earth, which is the definition of extra (beyond) terrestrial (Earth). I believe that all of these beings that visited Earth thousands of years ago that posed as gods and goddesses were most likely aliens. Why would Apollo need a chariot to fly around the Earth in? A chariot is just how people described what they saw as a UFO. That's not to say that there isn't an actual god out there, but rather the gods people have worshipped are all just aliens with advanced technology, which looked like magic to their primitive minds.JLCrogue
What evidence do you have for your belief and how strongly are you open to changing it?

All the evidence can be found by watching Ancient Aliens, which is a very interesting TV show. There's tons of evidence out there to support it, but I'm willing to change my belief on it, because I'm open-minded. I said that they're most likely aliens and I'm not certain that it was aliens that visited Earth and influenced humanity. Just look at all of the amazing wonders that humans made thousands of years ago. For example, look at the Pyramids they built, they couldn't have been built with the primitive tools that many historians believed they had. There had to be influence from more technologically advanced beings.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

In order to know that there is no god you have to have been everywhere in the Universe and know everything about it to prove there isn't any gods or goddesses, but that is omniscience or omnipresence and that is a quality reserved for only dieties. Therefore in order to know that there is no god you have to be a god. That is why athiesm is a contradiction. Agnosticism is far more logical and knowledgable, because you're admitting that you don't know if god exists. It is wiser to admit that you don't know something when it comes to a topic that you truly don't know much about.JLCrogue

Why must you know everything to disprove something that is omnipresent?
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RationalAtheist
All the evidence can be found by watching Ancient Aliens, which is a very interesting TV show. There's tons of evidence out there to support it, but I'm willing to change my belief on it, because I'm open-minded. I said that they're most likely aliens and I'm not certain that it was aliens that visited Earth and influenced humanity. Just look at all of the amazing wonders that humans made thousands of years ago. For example, look at the Pyramids they built, they couldn't have been built with the primitive tools that many historians believed they had. There had to be influence from more technologically advanced beings.JLCrogue
I've recently seen the South Park parody of that program (called "A History Channel Thanksgiving"). It gave me huge enjoyment, since it reflected exactly what I think passes for "edutainment TV" today. The History channel should really be ashamed of itself. Some other programs on the History channel (and Discovery History) seem far less glamorous, but are far more accurate and explain history with good evidence. This is especially true on things like the ancient Egyptian civilisation and its long and well evidenced (real) history. Pyramid building shows its development from small blocks shapes to the ever-larger straight-sided designs, by way of engineering failures, like the "bent pyramid" and others far more rationally - and shows that they didn't pop up from nowhere. Programs like Ancient Aliens show exactly why inductive logic does not produce any tangible results. You could just as easily speculate that aliens didn't visit earth, but influence it remotely instead. They may even be here right now, but invisible! They may not be evolving us, but corrupting us, etc, etc, etc...
JLCrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JLCrogue
[QUOTE="JLCrogue"]

In order to know that there is no god you have to have been everywhere in the Universe and know everything about it to prove there isn't any gods or goddesses, but that is omniscience or omnipresence and that is a quality reserved for only dieties. Therefore in order to know that there is no god you have to be a god. That is why athiesm is a contradiction. Agnosticism is far more logical and knowledgable, because you're admitting that you don't know if god exists. It is wiser to admit that you don't know something when it comes to a topic that you truly don't know much about.Genetic_Code

Why must you know everything to disprove something that is omnipresent?

Because you have to have been everywhere in the Universe and to know everything in order to know that there is a god or not. It's impossible for us to prove or disprove that there's a god or not.

JLCrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JLCrogue

[QUOTE="JLCrogue"]All the evidence can be found by watching Ancient Aliens, which is a very interesting TV show. There's tons of evidence out there to support it, but I'm willing to change my belief on it, because I'm open-minded. I said that they're most likely aliens and I'm not certain that it was aliens that visited Earth and influenced humanity. Just look at all of the amazing wonders that humans made thousands of years ago. For example, look at the Pyramids they built, they couldn't have been built with the primitive tools that many historians believed they had. There had to be influence from more technologically advanced beings.RationalAtheist
I've recently seen the South Park parody of that program (called "A History Channel Thanksgiving"). It gave me huge enjoyment, since it reflected exactly what I think passes for "edutainment TV" today. The History channel should really be ashamed of itself. Some other programs on the History channel (and Discovery History) seem far less glamorous, but are far more accurate and explain history with good evidence. This is especially true on things like the ancient Egyptian civilisation and its long and well evidenced (real) history. Pyramid building shows its development from small blocks shapes to the ever-larger straight-sided designs, by way of engineering failures, like the "bent pyramid" and others far more rationally - and shows that they didn't pop up from nowhere. Programs like Ancient Aliens show exactly why inductive logic does not produce any tangible results. You could just as easily speculate that aliens didn't visit earth, but influence it remotely instead. They may even be here right now, but invisible! They may not be evolving us, but corrupting us, etc, etc, etc...

South Park made fun of them saying that a negative statement doesn't prove a positive statement. I saw that episode too and I've seen Ancient Aliens before and that's not how they show evidence of aliens.

JLCrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JLCrogue
I'd rather talk about more important things, like the National Defense Authorization Act. You can learn about it and my opinion of it at: http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/28990061/obama-signs-ndaa---death-of-liberty-and-the-constitution