SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts

I know that my question may not make sense or anything but here is the story.

At my school kids don't believe me that I am atheist. I was a catholic before I went into Middle school but then I turned atheist. My question is. Can I change in what I believe in?

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#2 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
Lord yes.  You can go from believing in God to not, and visa versa.  It's normal to change how you view things as you grow up.  Religion is no exception.
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#3 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts
So your peers don't believe you are an atheist? Why not? Are you in 8th grade or a Freshman?
SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SSBFan12
So your peers don't believe you are an atheist? Why not? Are you in 8th grade or a Freshman?helium_flash
I am actually a 7th grader really. Cause I have to go to CCD classes (because of my mom makes me) and some of the kids at my school goes to the CCD class that I do. But I am atheist not a catholic anymore.
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 helium_flash
[QUOTE="helium_flash"]So your peers don't believe you are an atheist? Why not? Are you in 8th grade or a Freshman?SSBFan12
I am actually a 7th grader really. Cause I have to go to CCD classes (because of my mom makes me) and some of the kids at my school goes to the CCD class that I do. But I am atheist not a catholic anymore.

What does CCD stand for?
Stryder1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Stryder1212
Member since 2005 • 114 Posts

Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, it's the method by which the church injects it's beliefs into youths. It's like a typical class, except every subject is from the bible (impractical?) and is taught by not-teachers.

I've never attended myself, just been there to pick up a friend a few times. Though I've heard many stories of the dreaded CCD, mostly about intense boredom and ridiculous bible-games.

SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SSBFan12
Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, it's the method by which the church injects it's beliefs into youth. It's like a typical class, except every subject is from the bible and is taught by not-teachers. Stryder1212
Thank you I didn't even know what CCD stand for but I go to it and it is really boring.
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts

I was a catholic before I went into Middle school but then I turned atheist.  

SSBFan12

Did you consider yourself truly born-again in Christ? 

Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts

Sure, you can change your beliefs.  I used to be Catholic and I also attended CCD for quite some time and I did the same.  I'm not sure what I'd consider myself at the moment but I'm definitely not Catholic. 

Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts

Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, it's the method by which the church injects it's beliefs into youths. It's like a typical class, except every subject is from the bible (impractical?) and is taught by not-teachers.

I've never attended myself, just been there to pick up a friend a few times. Though I've heard many stories of the dreaded CCD, mostly about intense boredom and ridiculous bible-games.

Stryder1212

:lol: Extremely accurate description. Oh and let me just say that last year one of the teachers actually used Pascal's Wager to try and convince us of why we should believe! :o

[QUOTE="SSBFan12"]

I was a catholic before I went into Middle school but then I turned atheist.  

Lansdowne5

Did you consider yourself truly born-again in Christ? 

How can he be "born-again" if he was Catholic first? :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts

Ya... of course.

Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
[QUOTE="helium_flash"]So your peers don't believe you are an atheist? Why not? Are you in 8th grade or a Freshman?SSBFan12

So you're 12? You might find yourself changing beliefs more than once in the next decade or so. Just wait until college rolls around. Try a couple philosophy classes.
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lansdowne5

Forerunner-117

I meant did he consider himself truly born-again when he was a catholic. Sorry, I should have made it clearer. :)

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts
[QUOTE="Forerunner-117"]

Lansdowne5

I meant did he consider himself truly born-again when he was a catholic. Sorry, I should have made it clearer. :)

Considering that he is so young I don't think he would have thought it through so thoroughly. My guess though, I don't know. For example I didn't know what "born-again Christian" means before I heard you Evangelists mention it. :lol:
SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SSBFan12
[QUOTE="SSBFan12"][QUOTE="helium_flash"]So your peers don't believe you are an atheist? Why not? Are you in 8th grade or a Freshman?Elraptor

So you're 12? You might find yourself changing beliefs more than once in the next decade or so. Just wait until college rolls around. Try a couple philosophy classes.

No I am 14 I got held back at a catholic school. But I was just wondering cause I am already atheist and I did believe in god but I don't now and I don't want to go back in believing in him.
Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

[QUOTE="SSBFan12"][QUOTE="helium_flash"]So your peers don't believe you are an atheist? Why not? Are you in 8th grade or a Freshman?Elraptor

Yay, SSB, read some Nietzsche, that wont give you a mind **** at all! :D

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 helium_flash
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="Forerunner-117"]

Teenaged

Considering that he is so young I don't think he would have thought it through so thoroughly. My guess though, I don't know. For example I didn't know what "born-again Christian" means before I heard you Evangelists mention it. :lol:

I had always heard the term "born-again" but I never knew what it meant until a couple years ago actually.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
[QUOTE="Elraptor"][QUOTE="SSBFan12"][QUOTE="helium_flash"]So your peers don't believe you are an atheist? Why not? Are you in 8th grade or a Freshman?SSBFan12

No I am 14 I got held back at a catholic school. But I was just wondering cause I am already atheist and I did believe in god but I don't now and I don't want to go back in believing in him.

My 'ban immanent' sensor was going nuts. >_>
Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts

[QUOTE="SSBFan12"][QUOTE="Elraptor"][QUOTE="SSBFan12"][QUOTE="helium_flash"]So your peers don't believe you are an atheist? Why not? Are you in 8th grade or a Freshman?Funky_Llama

:lol: Same here. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
"Believe me, a planeload of atheists on a jet on the way to Hawaii and three of the four engines go out, the atheists start praying to who? God. Not the ocean, to save 'em. Everybody believes in God at some point, but not until they face their mortality. Everybody does. They have some God. " -Rush Limbaugh
SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SSBFan12
I don't want to be a catholic anymore because of what I have been through when I went to Catholic school.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 123625

I don't want to be a catholic anymore because of what I have been through when I went to Catholic school.SSBFan12

What was that?

If you don't beleive in God, you're not a catholic, simple as that, you don't have to want anything.

Avatar image for AlternatingCaps
AlternatingCaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AlternatingCaps
Member since 2007 • 1714 Posts

"Believe me, a planeload of atheists on a jet on the way to Hawaii and three of the four engines go out, the atheists start praying to who? God. Not the ocean, to save 'em. Everybody believes in God at some point, but not until they face their mortality. Everybody does. They have some God. " -Rush LimbaughGenetic_Code

So I gather you believe in the "atheists in foxholes" theory? Does this mean that you believe that atheists never actually let go of their theism? Since you've (correct me if I'm wrong) described yourself as a strong atheist, I don't think that this would be the case.

There's no denying that the need for something to turn to when times seem dark is a very human thing, and that the the most obvious thing to turn to is God due to the cultural upbringing of members of Western civilization. I'm not so sure that that's repressed theism so much as it is just a gut reaction to a desperate situation.

I'm tempted to say that I wouldn't give in to that, but it's impossible to really know what you would do unless you're in that situation.

I also think that the plane situation works better than the foxholes since in the former death is almost certainly the outcome whereas in a war, the cause one is fighting for, the momentum of the action going on around one, and one's focus on one's objectives might take one's mind off of death and out of that "Oh God, please don't let this happen!" mindset. Though again, I've never been to war, so I can't really say. I'm getting into minor details though.

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lansdowne5

I don't want to be a catholic anymore because of what I have been through when I went to Catholic school.SSBFan12

How can you still be a catholic if you don't believe in God.....?

Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
[QUOTE="SSBFan12"][QUOTE="Elraptor"][QUOTE="SSBFan12"][QUOTE="helium_flash"]So your peers don't believe you are an atheist? Why not? Are you in 8th grade or a Freshman?Funky_Llama

Ha ha, was I that obvious? :P For what it's worth, I still meant what I said about college.
SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SSBFan12

[QUOTE="SSBFan12"]I don't want to be a catholic anymore because of what I have been through when I went to Catholic school.123625

What was that?

If you don't beleive in God, you're not a catholic, simple as that, you don't have to want anything.

They held me back in Kindergarten and other terrible things.
Stryder1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Stryder1212
Member since 2005 • 114 Posts
[QUOTE="123625"]

[QUOTE="SSBFan12"]I don't want to be a catholic anymore because of what I have been through when I went to Catholic school.SSBFan12

What was that?

Well, they can't hold you back for not believing in their god.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
[QUOTE="SSBFan12"][QUOTE="123625"]

[QUOTE="SSBFan12"]I don't want to be a catholic anymore because of what I have been through when I went to Catholic school.Stryder1212

What was that?

Well, they can't hold you back for not believing in their god.

Actually, if they own and run the Kindergarten, they very much can... which in and of itself is a problem to me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 123625

They held me back in Kindergarten and other terrible things.SSBFan12

Don't get me wrong, I don't think your lying, but are you sure that was the reason :?

Cause alot of children get held back at kindergarten simply because they need to develop. Are you sure they held you back cause you didn't beleive in God?

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="123625"]

[QUOTE="SSBFan12"]I don't want to be a catholic anymore because of what I have been through when I went to Catholic school.SSBFan12

What was that?

Wait, I thought you believed in God up to the time you went to Middle school? They probably just held you back because you weren't ready to go up yet. :)

warrenmats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#31 warrenmats
Member since 2008 • 2247 Posts

Ssbfan, in my opinion, i think ur mom should make u quit that cristian club

because making you go to some sorta religious place to make you believe in a religion that you dont want to believe is just, kinda stupid. i think ur unconfortable going there.

cjdaweasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 cjdaweasel
Member since 2004 • 1560 Posts

Unless you're a Jew. Judaism apparently doesn't allow you not to be a member. :P