Alter_Ego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Alter_Ego
Member since 2002 • 884 Posts

(Please note, I am not flamebaiting about Darwin.  I mean this to be a serious topic)

Next year marks the 200th anniversary of Darwin's birthday and the 150th anniversary since Origin of the Species was published.  The dates fall on February 12 and November 24.  Should one or both of these days be officially recognized as being significant to atheists?  Are there any other days of noteworthy mention, or is the idea of an atheist "holy day" too much of an oxymoron to be taken seriously?  

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

No, as neither Darwin nor his theories had anything to do with atheism.

If there is ever established an "atheist holiday," I will forever laugh at anyone who asserts that atheism isn't a religion, or at least not a positive belief.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

That would be about the most hypocritical thing since the atheon or that bloody church of atheism.

Oh and as Theokhoth said Darwin and evolution are not explicitly atheistic so why celebrate them?

SimpJee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SimpJee
Member since 2002 • 18309 Posts

Well, we can all celebrate them on our own I suppose.  Holidays are for chumps .... :D  

There is the National Day of Reason (same day as prayer day), which I think is the only holiday we need heh. 

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

Well, we can all celebrate them on our own I suppose.  Holidays are for chumps .... :D  

There is the National Day of Reason (same day as prayer day), which I think is the only holiday we need heh. 

SimpJee

Wait, so you do, in fact, have a holiday?

:lol:

Now all you guys need is some kind of text and you're part of the club! Although, you do have the Secular Humanist Declaration. . . .:o

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#6 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
No.  I don't correlate Darwin with Atheism.  To me they are two different matters.  Although science has helped lead me and many Atheists to become Atheists, they aren't intertwined entirely.  If such a holiday was "enacted" I wouldn't pay it any mind, but there is a holiday for most everything else in the world.
Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts
No, atheism is nothing like, and never will be anything like religion.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
No.  I don't correlate Darwin with Atheism.  To me they are two different matters.  Although science has helped lead me and many Atheists to become Atheists, they aren't intertwined entirely.  If such a holiday was "enacted" I wouldn't pay it any mind, but there is a holiday for most everything else in the world. btaylor2404
...which is odd given that they are correlated.
7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 7guns
Member since 2006 • 1449 Posts

Celebrating atheist holiday will be like celebrating freedom from religion, or something like that and thus acknowledging the power of organised religion, which.............. is what atheists do but only because they are forced to do. Celebrating atheism would make religion seem more powerful than it is and in the process make atheists look like cry-babies.

Atheist are what they are only from a religious perspective. There is no point celebrating a title given to us by religion itself.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#10 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts

[QUOTE="btaylor2404"]No.  I don't correlate Darwin with Atheism.  To me they are two different matters.  Although science has helped lead me and many Atheists to become Atheists, they aren't intertwined entirely.  If such a holiday was "enacted" I wouldn't pay it any mind, but there is a holiday for most everything else in the world. Funky_Llama

Darwin led to more people to question a Creator, that I agree on.  But I look at science as science, and my beliefs, or lackthereof as beliefs.  If that makes a bit of sense. 

Strategist1117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Strategist1117
Member since 2006 • 5954 Posts
What the hell would be the point in an atheist holiday? If there was one, I doubt anyone would observe it anyways. Except perhaps the more fanatical ones.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts

It's not like anyone celebrates holidays for religious reasons any more, so why an atheist holiday?

Also evolution =/= atheism

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="btaylor2404"]No.  I don't correlate Darwin with Atheism.  To me they are two different matters.  Although science has helped lead me and many Atheists to become Atheists, they aren't intertwined entirely.  If such a holiday was "enacted" I wouldn't pay it any mind, but there is a holiday for most everything else in the world. btaylor2404

Darwin led to more people to question a Creator, that I agree on.  But I look at science as science, and my beliefs, or lackthereof as beliefs.  If that makes a bit of sense. 

Mm, I would certainly agree that Darwin and atheism aren't intrinsically linked.
Avatar image for Sargatanas13576
Sargatanas13576

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sargatanas13576
Member since 2007 • 1381 Posts

Any day that ISN'T a nationally recognized religious holiday is a day to celebrate. It's like an "Un-Birthday." (Mad Hatter FTW) In that respect, we've got waaay more "holidays" than them! :P

I still "celebrate" Christmas. Does that mean that I'm a hypocrite? No. It means that presents are awesome and I just don't give a flying ****.

Strategist1117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Strategist1117
Member since 2006 • 5954 Posts
Yeah, who doesn't like presents, cookies, and Christmas dinners? Even Japan has Christmas, and they're mostly Shinto or Buddhist!
aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts
  • Atheism is not a different way to spell "Evolution".
  • Celebrating it as a "Darwinist" holiday would make Atheism seem like a religion in itself.