helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts

I'm agnostic (agnostic atheists to be exact) for the most part.  I'm wondering what the general opinion is on agnostic people.  I've heard very little praise to agnostics from neither Atheists nor my Christian friends.

They would say that agnostics are like bi people, in that they need to just make up their mind.  And some other stuff.

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts
Fence sitters is the term i am familiar with.
Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Sitri_
Member since 2008 • 731 Posts

I'm agnostic (agnostic atheists to be exact) for the most part.  I'm wondering what the general opinion is on agnostic people.  I've heard very little praise to agnostics from neither Atheists nor my Christian friends.

They would say that agnostics are like bi people, in that they need to just make up their mind.  And some other stuff.

helium_flash

There are many respectable agnostics, but I think many times it comes from people not wanting to wear the scarlet letter and agnostics are a little better received in many public situations.  

Your comparison to bisexual people is really broken though.  You are misunderstanding at least one of the groups.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

You should read this thread and the video included.

Being an agnostic myself for a brief period of time, I generally thought that the burden of proof was irrelevant to the discussion of the existence of gods in general. The exception being if there was a claim made on either side -- e.g. "There is no God". Even then, the agnostic position somewhat has the burden of proof as well, because it makes the claim that there is no way that humans could know there is a god, if a god does exist. From my perspective, I eventually thought that the agnostic's burden of proof was a greater burden to bear, especially when, if a god did exist, all it would simply take is a simple appearance for him to be believed. Of course, this is based on the assumption that the god in question would want to be public as opposed to remaining in private. The mainstream concepts of god are quite the opposite. If he doesn't have a paparazzi following him, then he'll send a sign of his talent, such a burning bush. Thus, his celebrity status is elevated and he's the most widely talked subject for the next 6,000 years or so. It seems unlikely that the paparazzi or the mob that was allegedly after him would ever scare off this god, considering he said he was almighty. Of course, gods never lie, no? Or are we dealing with mythology? I forget which.

The problem with refuting gods is that for the sake of the argument, people allow them to have the capability for him to do whatever he wants to do, within his own sacred rule of course, even if he shows examples of himself breaking the rule (such as murdering), but the case is always made that he does it those who deserve it and he is above the rules. He can defy science as well, so he's a law breaker in more than one sense additionally, or at the very least, he is above the law. To me, the fact that one has to withdraw the field goal so far back, that the opposing team can't even see it, nevertheless hope to make it through the uprights, then the game was never a game to begin with. Likewise, the argument over the existence of god was never a debate to begin with. The standards are way too high for a man to prove and too preposterous for a man to disprove.

People often equate the existence of gods with extraterrestials. They are not the same, or at least of the societal defined sense of the term "god". Perhaps you know it simply better as God. Considering that the belief in extraterrestials is pretty vague (excluding the U.F.O and alien abductions conspiracies, all of which I doubt just as much as burning bushes and shape-shifting staffs), I am more inclined to believe in their possibility.

But in actuallity, both gods and aliens are possible to exist. However, the existence of extraterrestials is at least plausible, a distinction of which I think needs to be made.

Oh, and for the record, I think everyone to some agree, is agnostic. It's just a matter of conviction really. I realize that I seem to be debating agnosticism. I was rambling as you can tell, but my opinion of agnostics are the same as my opinion of theists. Additionally, I don't think any side can claim to hold a monopoly of logic, because in my view, logic isn't defined by someone's conclusion. It's how they came to that conclusion which makes it logical.

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 helium_flash
[QUOTE="helium_flash"]

Sitri_

There are many respectable agnostics, but I think many times it comes from people not wanting to wear the scarlet letter and agnostics are a little better received in many public situations.  

Your comparison to bisexual people is really broken though.  You are misunderstanding at least one of the groups.

Believe me I know.  I never said it, they would.  It was really really annoying.  They would say other stupid stuff as well.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

I'm an agnostic atheist as well and I can't think of any position more reasonable.

Just so I know are you referring to yourself as an agnostic in regards to what you know?

7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 7guns
Member since 2006 • 1449 Posts

Personally I don't know how anyone can claim to know for certain that there is no god, or supernatural being.

I think if some one claims to be 100% athiest, deep inside that person has to know for certain that there is no god, or supernatural being...

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#8 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15995 Posts
It's mostly people in transition. They commited apostasy and they're undecided for the time being. If someone says that they've "chosen" to be agnostic for life then they're probably just scared to say what they really think.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
It's mostly people in transition. They commited apostasy and they're undecided for the time being. If someone says that they've "chosen" to be agnostic for life then they're probably just scared to say what they really think.dracula_16
Not true... I'm agnostic because I don't think there's proof either way. No 'transition' involved.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts
Yes, they should make up their own damn minds already, I kid, I kid.
dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#11 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15995 Posts

[QUOTE="dracula_16"]It's mostly people in transition. They commited apostasy and they're undecided for the time being. If someone says that they've "chosen" to be agnostic for life then they're probably just scared to say what they really think.Funky_Llama
Not true... I'm agnostic because I don't think there's proof either way. No 'transition' involved.

You haven't realised that waiting for proof is like waiting for a train will never show up. Being purely agnostic is denying yourself what instinct tells you. The only true agnostics are the ones in transition.

Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
Is there any step between "orthodox Christian" and "agnostic," or do you pretty much backslide from the former straight to the latter after spending five years in higher education and two years away from anything remotely resembling a church?
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#13 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
I have no problem at all with agnostics, plus I like you H_F!  But seriously we are all in the process of learning and being agnostic is nothing different IMO.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Funky_Llama

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="dracula_16"]It's mostly people in transition. They commited apostasy and they're undecided for the time being. If someone says that they've "chosen" to be agnostic for life then they're probably just scared to say what they really think.dracula_16

You haven't realised that waiting for proof is like waiting for a train will never show up. Being purely agnostic is denying yourself what instinct tells you. The only true agnostics are the ones in transition.

Indeed - that train most probably will not show up. And... well... I'm not going to try to board a train that isn't there. :P
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Funky_Llama
I have no problem at all with agnostics, plus I like you H_F!  But seriously we are all in the process of learning and being agnostic is nothing different IMO.btaylor2404
Hmm... so what facts are agnostics in the process of learning? :o
Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sitri_
Member since 2008 • 731 Posts

Is there any step between "orthodox Christian" and "agnostic," or do you pretty much backslide from the former straight to the latter after spending five years WITH PEOPLE DEVOTING THEMSELVES TO INTELLECTUAL ENDEAVORS and two years away from CHARISMATIC DEMAGOGUES? Elraptor

I hope you don't mind I edited this quote to reflect what I think is the more specific answer.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#17 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts

[QUOTE="btaylor2404"]I have no problem at all with agnostics, plus I like you H_F!  But seriously we are all in the process of learning and being agnostic is nothing different IMO.Funky_Llama
Hmm... so what facts are agnostics in the process of learning? :o

Well possibly trying to figure out exactly what is their belief system.  Some don't get it in a ta-dah second, others take time to formulate their beliefs, and my be stuck in "agnostics".

Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
Maybe they're just cautious atheists. They're just not ruling anything out. They're not that bad. At least they're convertible...*grabs atheistic bible*
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts

It's mostly people in transition. They commited apostasy and they're undecided for the time being. If someone says that they've "chosen" to be agnostic for life then they're probably just scared to say what they really think.dracula_16

When it comes to theism vs. atheism I'm pretty much an apathetic agnostic as I don't see the question as relevant to my life (regardless of whether or not there is a God who influences my life I still can't change that fact and thus the question bears no significance to me and there is no way to be sure any way.) I usually describe myself as an ignostic though as I feel that describes my actual beliefs better. I do believe in some kind of higher order out of reach for us.

SimpJee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SimpJee
Member since 2002 • 18309 Posts

Maybe they're just cautious atheists. They're just not ruling anything out. They're not that bad. At least they're convertible...*grabs atheistic bible*Bourbons3

If you don't rule one thing out like God, agnostics shouldn't rule anything out.  Else they risk being hypocrites.  

This is why I'm not an agnostic, because I have no problem admitting there is no undoubtedly no Santa Claus, Hotep, Spaghetti monster, etc.  When I say undoubtedly, I mean that there is little to no evidence to support anything like those beings.  

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 helium_flash

I'm an agnostic atheist as well and I can't think of any position more reasonable.

Just so I know are you referring to yourself as an agnostic in regards to what you know?

domatron23

I call myself an Agnostic-Atheist. What I believe is that there is no god, but there could be a god. I believe there could be a god basically because the universe was created, and it had to be created somehow. If it does exist, it would be deistic.

But I don't actually believe it exists.

SimpJee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SimpJee
Member since 2002 • 18309 Posts
[QUOTE="domatron23"]

helium_flash

I call myself an Agnostic-Atheist. What I believe is that there is no god, but there could be a god. I believe there could be a god basically because the universe was created, and it had to be created somehow. If it does exist, it would be deistic.

It had to be created?  What gives you that idea?   

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

It had to be created?  What gives you that idea?   

SimpJee

Creation implies a creator. The universe at the very least has a beginning. Whether or not it was "created" is a different matter. 

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Funky_Llama

[QUOTE="Bourbons3"]Maybe they're just cautious atheists. They're just not ruling anything out. They're not that bad. At least they're convertible...*grabs atheistic bible*SimpJee

If you don't rule one thing out like God, agnostics shouldn't rule anything out.  Else they risk being hypocrites.  

This is why I'm not an agnostic, because I have no problem admitting there is no undoubtedly no Santa Claus, Hotep, Spaghetti monster, etc.  When I say undoubtedly, I mean that there is little to no evidence to support anything like those beings.  

I am disturbed by your definition of 'undoutedly'. O_o
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
[QUOTE="domatron23"]

helium_flash

Yeah that's pretty much my position apart from the view of the universe being created.

Avatar image for Sargatanas13576
Sargatanas13576

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Sargatanas13576
Member since 2007 • 1381 Posts

The Spaghetti Monster IS real! You lie SimpJee, YOU LIIIIEEEE! *runs off crying*

I love how when I tell a Christian that I'm an atheist they get a little uncomfortable but when I tell a Christian that I'm an agnostic they try to "fix" me, like there's still a chance and I just don't know enough about Jesus yet. :lol:

Ever notice that people of non-Christian religions don't usually try to push it on you? :P