Alter_Ego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Alter_Ego
Member since 2002 • 884 Posts

I'm going to cut right through the hokey nominal intro and present to you my proposal.  There are a few very important promises in the Bible that if they can somehow be broken, the Bible will effectively be proven false, and the Judeo-Christian faith rendered meaningless.  Here they are and good luck breaking them :D

Genesis 8:22 states "While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night will not cease."  So basically, if you can stop the seasons and/or the day and night cycle of the earth, this promise in the Bible will be false.  Here are some ways you can do that: stop the earth's rotation, change the earth's axis tilt, adjust the earth's orbial distance, global warming (the alarmists' version of it anyway), strip the earth of its magnetic field or ozone layer, or a total annihilation of all life on earth.  Or you could take the most extreme measure and obliterate the earth itself.  Good luck with these proposals. 

Amos 9:14-15 states that when God restores Israel from their worldwise dispersion, they will never again be exiled from their land.  I suppose this one might be a bit easier than affecting the whole earth.  All you got to do is destroy the nation of Israel (or at least drive them from their land).  Well the Muslims have tried this for 60+ years and everytime they got their collective butts kicked.  So again, good luck with this one.  

1st Corinthians 15:16-19 states "For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised: And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.  Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished.  If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable."  If Christ was not resurrected, than the entire Christian faith is worthless.  So all you got to do is disprove the resurrection and boom, the very foundation of Christianity is destroyed.   All you got to do is think of something new not thought of in the last 2000 years or so by others who have already attempted this.  

One last quick request: please keep this thread as a lighthearted topic not to be taken too seriously, nor attempt to turn this into a Bible attack thread.  Thank you.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#2 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Isn't the fact that the world was not created exactly as is some 6,000 years ago basically already a stake through the heart of a literal interpretation of the Bible?  Stopping the Earth's rotation just to give God the finger seems a little extreme... :P 

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#3 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

Genesis 8:22 states "While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night will not cease."  So basically, if you can stop the seasons and/or the day and night cycle of the earth, this promise in the Bible will be false.  Here are some ways you can do that: stop the earth's rotation, change the earth's axis tilt, adjust the earth's orbial distance, global warming (the alarmists' version of it anyway), strip the earth of its magnetic field or ozone layer, or a total annihilation of all life on earth.  Or you could take the most extreme measure and obliterate the earth itself.  Good luck with these proposals. 

Alter_Ego

It is a prediction that was totally reasonable to make by any human being who has observed life without having any scientific knowledge.

I think you are overrating the importance of "disproving" the bible. Nobody cares that much for it to go to such extremes.

Amos 9:14-15 states that when God restores Israel from their worldwise dispersion, they will never again be exiled from their land.  I suppose this one might be a bit easier than affecting the whole earth.  All you got to do is destroy the nation of Israel (or at least drive them from their land).  Well the Muslims have tried this for 60+ years and everytime they got their collective butts kicked.  So again, good luck with this one.Alter_Ego

Well 60 years is nothing and it's not like israel has stood strong against all odds or somethin. There survival has never been threatened so much as to require some miracle. However even if we assume that israel goes on to survive for centureis more,

I have a quotation for this.

Most religions prophecy the end of the world and then consistently work together to ensure that these prophecies come true. – Anonymous

If a prophecy is of the nature that can be fulfilled by sheer determination of the followers alone meaning that it's in their hands than well it's not really a prophecy.

One last quick request: please keep this thread as a lighthearted topic not to be taken too seriously, nor attempt to turn this into a Bible attack thread.  Thank you.  Alter_Ego
So there's a word "challange" in the title, then you bring extremely ridiculous ways of proving the bible right even when the genesis creation story has been proven wrong. And now in the end you say it's a joke thread?:|

Or is this some form of a defense measure you have taken so people will show some respect to your bible?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
[...] So all you got to do is disprove the resurrection and boom, the very foundation of Christianity is destroyed.[...] Alter_Ego

I'd like to see some proof first. This is like you asking me to disprove the existence of unicorns or fairies.

And really, the entire premise *must* be taken on "faith." If you can't take it on faith, then it obviously didn't happen... because aside from the Bible, there is no record of Jesus coming back from the dead. And as far as humanity is concerned, in all likelihood, he stayed dead and this "resurrection" was staged as to cement his "Godness" posthumously.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#5 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

And as far as humanity is concerned, in all likelihood, he stayed dead and this "resurrection" was staged as to cement his "Godness" posthumously.foxhound_fox

I'm actually reading a very interesting book at the moment called The Five Gospels: What Did Jesus Really Say?,  whose purpose is basically to be a scholarly work that investigates and tries to determine as best as it can, using a variety of criteria, what Jesus actually said and what was placed into Jesus' mouth later by early Christians.  The conclusion that their examinations seem to be going towards is that Jesus himself actually never even claimed to be the messiah and that he spoke of the kingdom of God as something already present but elusive - almost kind of like the Buddhist idea of enlightenment - not as something to come in a future event.  And the conclusion also includes the notion that Jesus really didn't talk about himself much at all, in fact.

This would mean that Jesus the person was basically hijacked by other people after his death to make use of his prominence and of his increasingly widely circulating sayings and teachings in oral tradition.  And I actually think they make a pretty darn good case in favor of that idea.  And if this is true, then it means that at the very least we ought not to blame Jesus for any of this mess. :P

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
Methinks you've somewhat stacked the deck on this one Alter_Ego.
Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

1st Corinthians 15:16-19 states "For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised: And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins. Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished. If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable." If Christ was not resurrected, than the entire Christian faith is worthless. So all you got to do is disprove the resurrection and boom, the very foundation of Christianity is destroyed. All you got to do is think of something new not thought of in the last 2000 years or so by others who have already attempted this.

One last quick request: please keep this thread as a lighthearted topic not to be taken too seriously, nor attempt to turn this into a Bible attack thread. Thank you.

Alter_Ego

Didn't some early Christian Gnostics believe in a non-resurrecting Jesus 2000 years ago? Nothing new there then. The early debate by Celsus (and its later rebuttal by Origen) are some of the earliest source discussions over the rationality of early Christianity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celsus

I hope you don't find my response too "heavy" for you. I'm interested - do you think anyone will ever notice any biblical slip-ups?

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#8 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15991 Posts

In what way is shifting the burden of proof a gentlemanly thing to do? are you getting your way of reasoning from Bill O'Reilly and Kent Hovind by any chance? smells awfully familiar to me.

You cannot consider this a challenge because you've proposed things in such a way that it would be impossible to do. I hope you don't think that this dishonest proposal somehow proves that the bible is correct, because that would be a false dichotomy.