mattdatc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 mattdatc
Member since 2005 • 94 Posts

I'm just wondering what everyone's favorite game of all time is.  Any system any generation.  I am also wondering what game really got you hook to video games.

My favorite game of all time is probably Final Fantasy 7 it was the reason I bought my PS1.  A close second is diablo 2 for the computer.  I spent way too much time online playing it.

The game that got me hooked is Final Fantasy for the NES and it's been all down hill from there

kiwidust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 kiwidust
Member since 2005 • 355 Posts

I'm just wondering what everyone's favorite game of all time is.  Any system any generation.  I am also wondering what game really got you hook to video games.

My favorite game of all time is probably Final Fantasy 7 it was the reason I bought my PS1.  A close second is diablo 2 for the computer.  I spent way too much time online playing it.

The game that got me hooked is Final Fantasy for the NES and it's been all down hill from there

mattdatc
That's a damn hard one! "Ico" would probably be the one that affected me the most... perhaps not the "best" game, but the one that I always think about when somebody says "name a great game". The simplistic, yet utterly moving story and unabashedly artistic presentation just draws you in. You don't know these characters at all, but you care deeply about what happens to them. "Final Fantasy VII" would be on my list too... yes, I shed a tear or three. But as much as I love them I've never played them again. I know it's a cliche but I think the single game I played most often (or a least the game that I'll still play again and again) is "Half Life" (and now, "Half Life II"). Nothing much new in gameplay (well, not in the original) but the story was so completely engrossing and well presented - the ramifications are still being felt. But I still play "Half-Life" at least once or twice a year. Going way back I think the first game that really struck the way I like to play games was "Riddle of the Sphinx" on the 2600... or maybe "Dungeons and Dragons" on the Intellivision. Niether was much by today's standards but both had certain sensibilities that would eventually be part of modern RPGs that just really attracted me.
mattdatc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mattdatc
Member since 2005 • 94 Posts
The 2600 had some pretty good games.  I still miss Moon Patrol.  Shooting rocks and jumping holes for hours on end was fun.  Yes the graphics stunk as compared to today but as far as ease of control, a joystick and one button vs d-pad, c-sticks, X, O, L1, R2, etc sometimes I do believe simple is better
Angelbabe531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Angelbabe531
Member since 2005 • 2189 Posts
My favorite game is Zelda: The Ocarina of Time for N64.  I always played videogames, but it was more like "hey, I'll buy/rent this game cuz I'm bored" and the games were usually platformers w/o much structure.  OOT was the first game I invested time into, and payed attention to the twists and turns, and the battles were great, the world was big, there were lots of dungeons, Link grew up.  I found it really rewarding.  I think that's the first time I fell in love with what video games could do.  I bought the game and the N64 late in the N64's life cycle, and I think it got me hooked.  After that I started to actually read about games, read reviews, and previews know my release dates and actually anticipate games.
Yagami-Iori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#5 Yagami-Iori
Member since 2003 • 6327 Posts
Favorite all-time game... probably Project Justice for the Dreamcast. It's such a quirky fighting game title, I can't help but love that game.
Musquito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 Musquito
Member since 2005 • 503 Posts
Mine is Hook on the old gameboy.
angel1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 angel1212
Member since 2004 • 18174 Posts
Old School would be 'Joe Blade' on my Atari XE, I used to spend hours on that after school. I loved it and it still has a place in my gaming heart. More recently its been FFVII & IX & GTA San Andreas. Not very original i know.
Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
Zelda:oot and Metroid Prime are my favorites.
RacerSVT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RacerSVT
Member since 2004 • 857 Posts
My favorite Game(s): The Metal Gear Solid series..........to this day, I keep playing them over and over and over......
DrFish62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10 DrFish62
Member since 2003 • 4973 Posts

My favorite game of all time would have to be a tie between Ocarina of Time and A Link to The Past. I didn't think Ocarina was all that revolutionary when it came out, but it was damn fun to play. And I was so excited when LttP came out on the GBA. (I found Minish Cap rather disappointing by comparison). These two Zelda games came out before Nintendo royally screwed up the series' timeline, so that's really what drew me in. Not just the gameplay, but the story.

As far as what game got me started in gaming, I have to cheat on that one. It was actually 3 games combined on one cart. The Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt /  World Class Track Meet combo for the NES. Super Mario Bros. is self-explanatory, but Duck Hunt and Track Meet really drew me in with the amazing peripherals. 20 years before DDR or the new Revolution TV remote, Nintendo was already using dance pads and light gun technology. My cousins used to come in from Israel to visit and we could spend hours shooting those ducks or what we thought were ceramic plates. We had the neon orange version because Nintendo found the original grey one too lifelike, I suppose. And I found a trick with the Power Pad that would let me sprint to the finish by barely lifting my feet off the mat.

Hastur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Hastur
Member since 2002 • 1339 Posts
Although I had been playing games through my childhood and early teens, it wasn`t until my adolescence when I got really hooked. The games that made a lasting impression on me (and they are all pc based). are: the orginal Wolfenstein 3D and its Doom successors, Mizar (my first mud in 1991), Diablo 1 & Fallout 1.
dcgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 dcgames
Member since 2004 • 1745 Posts
Final Fantasy III. It was the first FF game I ever played, and after I encountered Mog and saw him do his dances (to learn spells) that was it; I've never loved another game as much.
booyamcnasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 booyamcnasty
Member since 2004 • 184 Posts
Mechwarrior 2. (PC) Runner up: Soul Blade (PS1)
RacerSVT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RacerSVT
Member since 2004 • 857 Posts
Battletoads....
Atrevida_15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Atrevida_15
Member since 2006 • 55 Posts
I would have to say Super Mario Bros. (NES).
CodingGenius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#17 CodingGenius
Member since 2004 • 8118 Posts
Let's see...of all time?  Probably Super Mario Bros for NES.  Just has the best memories and connotations for me.
laserone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 laserone
Member since 2005 • 679 Posts
Hmmm... The original spyro for ps1.

Also, the original sims for the pc.

and now, i have to add Animal Crossing Wild World for the DS to my AllTime list.  :)
kiwidust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 kiwidust
Member since 2005 • 355 Posts
Well - I've gotta add "Shadow of the Colossus" I can't believe how good this game is on so many levels. I usually play a game, beat it, and then never touch it again - but I find myself reaching for this one over and over again. I think "I'll just do the desert one" or "I'll try to beat my time on the bird". Heck - sometimes I put it in and just ride the horse around. It's relaxing. ;^)
Writer1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 Writer1983
Member since 2006 • 436 Posts
My brother and I used to go over to another family's house and play games with their kids during the day while our folks were at work. I loved the original Super Mario Brother for the NES and Duck Hunt, and an old, NES Hockey Game. I got the original gameboy around the time I was in second or third grade, and got both Tetris and Super Mario Land. I was too young to play very well, but kep my old gameboy (and still have it to this day..! And both games) and got better over the years! The games that got me started were pokemon (I had just started high school when they became popular) and Zelda DX. Those were my first tentative forays in to RPG's. It wasn't until this year, when I aquired Final Fantasy Dawn of Souls and FFIV, that I discovered how good the FF series was! I am a heavy puzzle and strategy gamer, who also loves RPGs. I am getting Pokemon Trozei (which, if you want to know how it plays, dig up your old copy of Yoshi's Cookie..same game!) and can hardly wait for tetris DS and Metroid Prime Hunters. Besides the Metroid Prime games and Perfect Dark for the N64, those are about the only FPS's I like! I think Pokemon and Tetris and Super Mario should be on my list for all time favorites..add to that the Fire Emblem/Advance Wars games..if you love turn-based strategy, go play those!
poohbear12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#21 poohbear12
Member since 2005 • 447 Posts

Favorite game of all time.....depends on the genre.

FPS: Half-Life

RPG: Diablo-II

RTS: Command & Conquer (all of them)

In terms of the first game that really kept me up all night and dragged me into the abyss of gaming:

Wizardry.

2bizarre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 2bizarre
Member since 2005 • 158 Posts
Zork Nemesis
Syberia
Fahrenheit
The Longest Journey
slashzer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 slashzer0
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
As I think of which games I can just pick up and enjoy.

1.  The Obligatory Super Mario Bros choice
2.  Any side scrolling Kirby game (even Canvas Course DS was good), but Kirby 3 was the best
3.  "Yoshi's Island" is a great game.
4. "Out of this World" is absolutely amazing even though I've never made it past the second level without breaking something.
5. Last Vikings is fun.
6. I have to give props to Doom 2, a game that I wasted many hours killing my friends on dail-up.
6. "EVO", the geekiest, nerdiest, SNES game ever made.  It is awesome.  You start off as a fish in prehistoric time and you get to choose how to evolve throughout time. It's like a Biological RPG. It is my favorite game of all time.  You have to get this game and play it.

Eric.
bb1924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bb1924
Member since 2006 • 341 Posts
Tough one, you have too break it up a little. Atari Asteroids /NES Bionic Commando/PS1 Metal Gear /PS2 Madden(I have to get it every year) /XBox I'm not sure yet just got one a few weeks ago /PC Warcraft
wynter72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wynter72
Member since 2003 • 40 Posts
I would have to say Final Fantasy VII.  That game had a pretty tight grip on me.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
Zelda was my first game for nes after super mario. still one of my favs. Starcontrol2. I was so immersed in this game for months and months. even when i replayed it last year it didn't lose any of it's charm.
SilentDeath777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#27 SilentDeath777
Member since 2005 • 3296 Posts
Horror: Fatal Frame 1-3 (PS2)
Fighting: DoA 4 (360)
RPG: Final Fantasy VIII (PS)
Other: Conker Live and Reloaded (Xbox, I don't know what it is about this game that I love)
bearnewman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#28 bearnewman
Member since 2007 • 2033 Posts

Hard one to define, so I'll share my top six SO FAR!

God of War 1 (That is the modern console game that I compare all others too)

Mass Effect 2

Battlefield, Bad Company 2

Halo Reach

Red Dead Redemption

Red Baron 3D (PC)

If I had to choose one of those, it would be hard but some of my fondest memories are of Red Baron, which after Windows XP came out, it wouldn't play anymore. Loved that old WWI BiPlane sim...