ZOMG! Actraiser just dropped!? Tears of joy.... The master is back!

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22628 Posts

I have been bagging on square Enix for literally decades... My favorite line is, "they've got Actraiser on the shelf collecting dust and they do nothing with it" and here it.... A glorious remaster of one of the mighty GOATS in gaming history.

Loooong overdue and seemingly well cared for, if you haven't played Actraiser nows your chance.

I'm kind of speechless to be honest... In gaming you learn to live without in many ways. Just ask fans of valve games. I honestly had given up hope in anything even remotely more than a eshop release of the classic game, but a remaster? It's as if square DID actually know they had a masterpiece sitting on their shelf all this time.

Anyway, in the past week I've got TWO of my top 5 goats reworked in kotor and Actraiser... This is a week from a fairy tale dream, how can it be real?

Have you been baptized in the waters of Actraiser? The action platforming, Sim world-lite building gem, with one of the best soundtracks in gaming history? One of gamespots greatest games of all time?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50545 Posts

I've literally never heard of this game.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#3 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44100 Posts

Yeah that was definitely quite the surprise for sure. I remember playing this on the SNES and enjoyed it very much, was a pretty unique game. I certainly never expected a remake and to shadow drop it the very same day. I’d very much like to grab this.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator

@Archangel3371: I bought it immediately. It was way ahead of its time with the way it melded two genres together. I hope people support it. I want a sequel in the same vein as the first... Not Actraiser 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

@BassMan said:

System Wurz typical reaction to real games. Go back to talking about computer parts lol.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheEroica  Moderator

@BassMan: @Chutebox: now your chance. Quintet made a game where you are the lord and in each land you battle monsters in a themed level, 2d action. Then once the level boss is beat you take the roll of the lords angel/servant who then rebuilds the land, Sim city-lite style... While rebuilding you're also fighting monsters in real time. You speak with your people and you learn about the folks living there and their needs... Reeeally well done and while simply told the stories and characters are really cool. In order to complete a land you must build the town back up and then fight another 2d action level to beat the final boss and move to the next land...

Its one of few games that when I dig out the wii to play it I marvel at how fresh it still is 30 years later.

The approach though whether you resonate with the game or not is so wonderful. Multiple genres working together... The whole greater than the individual parts. It's an awesome game.

The music... I'm nerding out so I'm a little bias in the moment, but I haven't been able to get the over world theme out if my head since the day it launched.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

Oh cool!

I never played the older ones, but I know what kind of game it is and I think I'd be into it.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheEroica  Moderator

@getyeryayasout: kotor and Actraiser man... Literally tearing up. It's a... Its just.... It's a nerds dream come true.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

So no announcement until the day it actually dropped, ballsy move. Hope it sells but I wasn't blown away by the game back in the day, but at the right price I'd give it another go. Never owned the game, just rented it once or twice.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50545 Posts

@TheEroica: 30 bucks worth it???

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#14 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts

@shadyacshuns said:
@BassMan said:

System Wurz typical reaction to real games. Go back to talking about computer parts lol.

Actually, I just finished playing Kena: Bridge of Spirits and I will go back to playing Psychonauts 2. :)

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3217 Posts

Nice. I hope the remaster turns out good.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

@Chutebox said:

@TheEroica: 30 bucks worth it???

I noticed at Google Play, the Android version costs $19.99.

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#17 strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1175 Posts

I rented it on SNES. I‘ll pick it up in order to support good games of the past, in hope more get made. I’m looking at you Koei. Please make a PTO II or III remaster PTO IV wasn’t up to par.

I wonder how Act Raiser holds up.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#18 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15904 Posts

Yet another game releasing on everything but also skipping the Xbox Series.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34567 Posts

I've heard about it severeal times, never really understood what is was until now. Looks pretty cool. Might try it out.

silkylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 silkylove
Member since 2002 • 8579 Posts

I bought it. Switched back to the original music halfway through the first level. The guitar in the remixed music didn't work for me.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator

So far everything is wonderful. A nearly faithful recreation. I played through a big chunk of Fillmore last night. There are some tweaks.

In the original game you'd build towards a monster lair and then the people would shut it down on your request. Now you actually fight a mini boss in 2d action. Kinda cool I guess. Makes sense anyway.

Also, there's a tower defense component that wasn't in the first game. It's not overly complicated and adds a nice change in gameplay. Real sensible addition.

The music... Oh man it's so good. Have I mentioned that?

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheEroica  Moderator

@Chutebox: if I take my rose tinted glasses off and am totally honest, I will absolutely get 30 dollars out of the game. However, if I were new to the game, I may wait for a sale. Some may find 30 for an older game remastered too much, but I feel it's right in line given the unique gaming experience and time investment.

I haven't sunk all the way into this remaster so still some surprises for sure. It still plays great from both 2d and Sim.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1228 Posts

I bought it on the Wii VC . Thought it was alright, don't think I made it too far ... maybe I'll fire it up the next time I connect the Wii.

Definitely won't buy this for full price, maybe on sale.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Umm... I missed this being announced actually. It's one of my favorite SNES games. Pretty awesome. I may end up snagging this regardless of the anime look they went with.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56036 Posts

@TheEroica: I remember renting the original Actraiser on SNES from Blockbusters back in the day as a kid, it was okay but barely remember it as I only rent it once. I'll get this on Steam over the Switch as I heard the Switch version is poor and the PC version runs fine. That said, it's only $30, not bad but not something to play asap, so this is heading to my wishlist. Hope you enjoy it to your heart's content😇

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

Part 2 was also amazing, same with Demons crest.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#27 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

Looks abit anime.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12060 Posts

Way ahead of its time.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17809 Posts

Never heard of it but looks interesting. I have added it to the ol wishlist for now. Could be a nice game to play on the Deck when i get one.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheEroica  Moderator

The tower defense addition to the game definitely impacts the overall package. It's well done and not overly complicated (which is exactly what Actraiser thrives at).

This remastered game is actually meshing three genres together.

The 2d battles that close enemy lairs is just more of the same 2d action so it doesn't necessarily add anything to the game.

I completed Fillmore in 4 hours. Way more time than the original snes version.

Also, you are able to switch the music back to original soundtrack.

Downer is probably the constant interruptions from cutscene/dialog to teach the game and walk you through the opening. Too many, too often... But it's a mild irritation. The learning is worth it.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2925 Posts

Back in the days, I read the reviews of Actraiser but never got to play the game. Was it really that special?

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TheEroica  Moderator

@pmanden: It was just way ahead of its time. It married genres together in a very pleasing way. I can't say how it would resonate with a new generation of gamers, but goodness it still hits all the marks for me.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

@davillain-: what issues are found in the Switch version?

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator

@onesiphorus: I haven't run into any. Halfway through Bloodpool.

Thought I was having an audio issue but it was my Bluetooth headphones needing a charge.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8469 Posts

First time hearing about it.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

I loved this game. Will be picking this up again soon on steam.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TheEroica  Moderator

This game is tight af.... Plays great, charm in buckets. The additional gameplay and tower defense segments are really fun. Strategic and not overly complicated enough to turn a newcomer away.

Reeeally hoping some system warriors jump in.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38705 Posts
Loading Video...

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44100 Posts

Great impressions. Very nice to see this remake turned out so well. Will definitely grab this in the near future.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15904 Posts

@TheEroica: thanks for the preview. Seems like a game you can repeat over and over. Thinking of getting a mobile version, would be a nice short session while on a 10 minute break.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TheEroica  Moderator

@hardwenzen said:
Loading Video...

Thanks for posting this. Great to hear others start to dig in on it. The df complaints are right on in certain elements of the game. As I stated above the openening feels like they desperately want to interrupt you to explain one more thing. As a newcomer that may be ok given no prior knowledge bif the game, but I've played through it several times and just wanted t get to the action...

That said, there are enough new gameplay elements that I'm glad they explained it all... The gameplay in the tower defense parts is really great so understanding how to use your champions and strategize is a must.

The df issues with "consistency" seems a little too heavy for me. Not sure if they're just being a little nitpicky, but the most I ever hoped for here was a release of the 91 release. A remaster? The graphics look fine... The performance is 100 times better than it was on snes. I'm playing on switch and I have zero complaints about performance. Looks and plays suitable. Glad I have it on the go instead of homebase.