ZeniMax releases nine-minute Elder Scrolls Online preview clip

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Heil68 (57942 posts) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxJTsq2XeKY&feature=youtu.be It features a mixture of fly-through footage, talking head interviews with creative director Paul Sage and lead designer Nick Konkle, and snippets of PvE and PvP gameplay too. what do you guys think? Me, I wish it was F2P. :P
#2 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22928 posts) -
looks pretty good, although most of the animations look like they were ripped from skyrim.
#3 Posted by KingsMessenger (2570 posts) -

The influence of GW2 is immediately apparent. That is a good thing.

#4 Posted by Truth_Hurts_U (9703 posts) -

Dungeons look great... Open world looks bad... Combat looks boring... Players look the same... Only 3 classes really (warrior, mage, battle mage)... PVP looks like DAOC and that's not a bad thing.

I'll keep my eye on it. I'm still burnt out on MMO's thanks to all the years I played WOW. They would have to make it really awesome for me to buy it.

#5 Posted by PCgameruk (2012 posts) -

Dungeons look great... Open world looks bad... Combat looks boring... Players look the same... Only 3 classes really (warrior, mage, battle mage)... PVP looks like DAOC and that's not a bad thing.

I'll keep my eye on it. I'm still burnt out on MMO's thanks to all the years I played WOW. They would have to make it really awesome for me to buy it.

Truth_Hurts_U
Did you even watch the video? The game is nowhere near complete. The guy said 9 races and you will be able to pick a class. You assumed 3? He aslo said their is going to be alot of customization.
#6 Posted by Led_poison (10146 posts) -
Worried about the depth of combat, and it seems like it would play better with a controller.
#7 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

It looks like ass to me. They should have never made this.

Just make Skyrim multiplaye like RDR, you could free roam around the wold with your buddies and fight with othe players. Set up camp at night, prey on noobs that travel by, amazing.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
#8 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

Honestly? Looks like sh!t

#9 Posted by pelvist (6940 posts) -

[QUOTE="Truth_Hurts_U"]

PCgameruk

Did you even watch the video? The game is nowhere near complete. The guy said 9 races and you will be able to pick a class. You assumed 3? He aslo said their is going to be alot of customization.

He said classes not races...

#10 Posted by BrunoBRS (74156 posts) -

KingsMessenger
not really lol. GW2's message was "you don't have to copy something popular to be popular". that was their entire manifesto in a nutshell. copying GW2 (or being heavily influenced by it) is a sad, ironic twist.
#11 Posted by GamerZem (526 posts) -
Looks great to me. Can't wait. Does anyone know how much the final price would be? Or is it like a subscription? Didn't catch that.
#12 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25164 posts) -
Looks goo to me, but I haven't played an MMO so I could be wrong.
#13 Posted by BrunoBRS (74156 posts) -
anyway, gut reactions as i watched: i like the art direction. locations are pretty, nice choice of colors. let's just hope that the whole game is like that, not a few select spots. animations look clunky, but i won't judge yet. "lots of customization options", that depends on whether there's a good reason to pick one of the many sets, or if they progress in a linear fashion. glad to see other MMOs adopting common sense, and dropping the whole fight over resources/kills thing. the customization sounds nice, but you have to wonder just how viable those options will be. hey look, dynamic events. "once you get to level 50 that's where the game really opens up" bad bad baaaaaaaaaaaad. the game shouldn't change after a certain threshold. this only encourages segregation, and devalues the leveling experience to a glorified tutorial. hey look, world VS world (or realm VS realm, if you're one of the 10 people here that played DAoC) hey look, PvP level scaling (though level scaling is kind of a thing in TES games already) aaaaaand it's over. overall, it's not too shabby, i'll give it that. i'm curious to see if they can pull out a fun, deep combat system, rather than the typical TES "press LMB till it dies, soak up all damage" thing. though there's a lot of polish that needs to be done, especially regarding animations, and some areas looked rather dull and washed out (like when they were PvPing).
#14 Posted by BrunoBRS (74156 posts) -
[QUOTE="GamerZem"]Looks great to me. Can't wait. Does anyone know how much the final price would be? Or is it like a subscription? Didn't catch that.

don't think they've settled on one yet, or in a payment policy.
#15 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

One giant "Meh" from me

#16 Posted by JohnF111 (14187 posts) -

KingsMessenger
I'm not so sure, looks just like Elder Scrolls combat and play-style to me. There may be influence but then again what game isn't influenced by other games. It looks okay I guess, I will definitely keep an eye out for more info but I think it's the single player experience where people enjoy the games so maybe this will bomb.
#17 Posted by WiiMan21 (8191 posts) -

Looks like a mix between elder scrolls and Guild Wars 2.

Sounds like they're dipping into Overflow servers, massive world PvP, combat, and sounds like more of a personal story like Guild Wars 2.

If they do this all right, I will defninitely try it out.

#18 Posted by Mr_BillGates (3210 posts) -

OMG. Generic MMORPG combat of click n attack, auto-aimmed 4 you. How boring. MMORPG will always be crap.

#19 Posted by Jankarcop (11056 posts) -

OMG. Generic MMORPG combat of click n attack, auto-aimmed 4 you. How boring. MMORPG will always be crap.

Mr_BillGates

1. Thats not how this games combat is, might want to pay attention next time.

2. That "click N attack aimed for your" sometimes has a higher skill cap than most console games save for Fighters. (high end arena)

#20 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

Looks pretty nice. The world looks better than SKyrim even, so far. Of course SKyrim was a huge step up from Oblivion, but this looks fantastic. Graphics are nice. Gameplay looks like it borrows from SKyrim and GW2.

Would definitely give it a try if it was F2P. P2P? We will see, but probably not.

PS - the animations suck :P

#21 Posted by KingsMessenger (2570 posts) -

[QUOTE="KingsMessenger"]

BrunoBRS

not really lol. GW2's message was "you don't have to copy something popular to be popular". that was their entire manifesto in a nutshell. copying GW2 (or being heavily influenced by it) is a sad, ironic twist.

You completely missed the point of the Manifesto. It wasn't about copying... It was about intelligent game design that rewards players for playing rather than punishing them.

They were inviting players to join them in an MMO revolution, where the old ways could be cast aside in favor of the new.

Copying/Borrowing from that new approach wasn't discouraged by the Manifesto, or even really mentioned... All the Manifesto said was, "Hey, we can do better for our players."

#22 Posted by KingsMessenger (2570 posts) -

[QUOTE="KingsMessenger"]

JohnF111

I'm not so sure, looks just like Elder Scrolls combat and play-style to me. There may be influence but then again what game isn't influenced by other games. It looks okay I guess, I will definitely keep an eye out for more info but I think it's the single player experience where people enjoy the games so maybe this will bomb.

I am not talking about combat. I am talking about design philosophy. Easy grouping where everyone is rewarded equally. Being able to play with your friends when and where you want to(which GW2 would have if they would get the Guest feature to work again). PvP design in general(although you can trace that back to DaOC honestly). Flexible player roles.

Major pieces of the design philosophy seem to take to heart some of the points made by ANet's Manifesto

#23 Posted by crusadernm (1609 posts) -

Looks cool but I'm in no mood for a subscription based game.

#24 Posted by BrunoBRS (74156 posts) -

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="KingsMessenger"]

KingsMessenger

You completely missed the point of the Manifesto. It wasn't about copying... It was about intelligent game design that rewards players for playing rather than punishing them.

They were inviting players to join them in an MMO revolution, where the old ways could be cast aside in favor of the new.

Copying/Borrowing from that new approach wasn't discouraged by the Manifesto, or even really mentioned... All the Manifesto said was, "Hey, we can do better for our players."

the whole idea behind guild wars 2 is "we're gonna make it different, and we're gonna make it good, and we're gonna make it successful". they even made that awkward live action campaign ATTACKING MMOS THAT JUST COPY OTHERS. the whole ad was "we've been watching people clone WoW over and over, and we stood by. guild wars 2 isn't that. guild wars 2 is change". if GW2 eventually becomes the new formula to be followed by every single MMO, then the message ANet sent to other developers would've been moot.