Zelda is one of my favorite franchises ever....with that said......WOW is BOTW a huge disappointment imo.

• 52 results
Theproof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Theproof
Member since 2018 • 41 Posts

Just finished the game. I don't think I've ever finished a Zelda and came out with a "meh" feeling until I beat this one. When I first picked it up and invested my frist 10 hrs, I was told by many friends to keep playing because it will get better. It never did.

Extremely stupid and frustrating durability and weapon breaking system that is just nothing but I pain in the ass for most of the game until you get (Spoiler) you know what. It was hard enjoying combat knowing that my weapon would break at any moment. Made most weapons feel valueless.

-The amazing, lengthy, puzzle filled dungeons of games past have been replaced by boring shrines that are not even have the size as the dungeons from other 3D Zelda games. And to top it off, they're aren't many of them.

- The open world is huge........but is a baron wasteland with absolutely nothing going on. Traveling through it feels like a chore. The whole time I was just longing for the linearity of past Zelda games. This might be the most boring open world I've ever played in any game. The NPC's throughout are lifeless as well but I didn't expect much from a Zelda games NPC's anyways.

-Boss fights are meh and the Final boss is very disappointing. Overall combat in the game is good but the enemy variety is lacking.

It hurts me to say this but I really don't see how this game got such high scores. This is the first game since GTA 4 that makes me really question reviewers. Now, I did finish Horizon Zero Dawn before playing this so it's possible I might have been a little spoiled coming in but stacking this game up against other Zelda's makes this feel like a huge step back. I fear that this is the new direction the franchise will be taking. Hopefully they fill the world with more excitement instead of a huge baron world.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3727 Posts

Completely agree. I was so excited for this "revolutionary" Zelda that never came. It's a decent game in the series, but twilight princess is so much better.

Theproof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Theproof

@tjandmia:

Yep. I wasn't the biggest fan of Twilight Princess but it still felt like a Zela game. BOTW feels like Zelda that sold its soul. It's not a bad overall game it just didn't feel all that special. The magic was missing.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts

Interesting engine and sandbox.

Barebones story, barebones events ... very unmemorable compared to Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#5 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

i can usually discard people's opinions on BOTW when they start crying about the durability system.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

It's among my favorites. Up there with Link's Awakening, Link to the Past and A Link Between Worlds. Definitely my favorite 3D Zelda, although I like Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask too.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44152 Posts

I absolutely loved the game myself. For me Breath of the Wild was just like my imagination that younger me envisioned Hyrule to be when I played the first Legend of Zelda on the NES. The weapon durability thing didn’t bother me at all.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@theproof said:

Just finished the game. I don't think I've ever finished a Zelda and came out with a "meh" feeling until I beat this one. When I first picked it up and invested my frist 10 hrs, I was told by many friends to keep playing because it will get better. It never did.

Extremely stupid and frustrating durability and weapon breaking system that is just nothing but I pain in the ass for most of the game until you get (Spoiler) you know what. It was hard enjoying combat knowing that my weapon would break at any moment. Made most weapons feel valueless.

-The amazing, lengthy, puzzle filled dungeons of games past have been replaced by boring shrines that are not even have the size as the dungeons from other 3D Zelda games. And to top it off, they're aren't many of them.

- The open world is huge........but is a baron wasteland with absolutely nothing going on. Traveling through it feels like a chore. The whole time I was just longing for the linearity of past Zelda games. This might be the most boring open world I've ever played in any game. The NPC's throughout are lifeless as well but I didn't expect much from a Zelda games NPC's anyways.

-Boss fights are meh and the Final boss is very disappointing. Overall combat in the game is good but the enemy variety is lacking.

It hurts me to say this but I really don't see how this game got such high scores. This is the first game since GTA 4 that makes me really question reviewers. Now, I did finish Horizon Zero Dawn before playing this so it's possible I might have been a little spoiled coming in but stacking this game up against other Zelda's makes this feel like a huge step back. I fear that this is the new direction the franchise will be taking. Hopefully they fill the world with more excitement instead of a huge baron world.

This is something that has puzzled me since it's launch... the world just looks so empty and boring. Mind you I haven't played it, but I have watched my cousin play a lot of it and have seen many videos of gameplay, and it just seems so empty and that you spend like 50% of the game walking through empty fields etc.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

This is the type of game that people that really enjoy the wild in real life will enjoy. It has a calm to it that so few games have. And the freedom that only a select few offer. I can see how some people would not enjoy it. As for me, it is by far my favorite Zelda game and it is not even close. I spend dozens of hours just hanging out and wandering around in the game. This game is ultimate chill.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

Best in series by far. The game world melds perfectly with Link's mobility. The moment to moment gameplay is some of the finest this industry has to offer.

....and it all builds up to a crescendo in Hyrule Castle like none other.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Agreed on all points. Zelda went from one of my favorite series to one that I'm going to ignore if this is the future.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Calvincfb
Member since 2018 • 0 Posts

@theproof: why should I care? You're just a nobody on SW lol

Not relevant at all.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

It's zelda with a souls influence (which is in part influenced by classic zelda) and improved explorarion; it's excellent. I disagree it, it's the best switch (and wii u) game.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Calvincfb
Member since 2018 • 0 Posts

Why should I take a nobody's opinion on SW? You're not relevant Buddy, nobody cares about you

MooseWayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MooseWayne
Member since 2017 • 361 Posts

Loved BOTW. It was at times very peaceful.

Enragedhydra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Enragedhydra
Member since 2005 • 1085 Posts

@calvincfb said:

Why should I take a nobody's opinion on SW? You're not relevant Buddy, nobody cares about you

Like your a somebody. All you do is complain about other people's consoles especially the X1 as I have noticed

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts
@theproof said:

You know what, i came in here pretty sure i would read a trollish post making fun of Zelda etc but you seem legit because all those things youve said mentioned the same way from some of my in real life friends which are die hard Zelda fans and bought Wii U just for this game in the first placE ( and Mario/Kart etc )

I havent personally played the game yet ( waiting for something ) so i dont have an opinion but i trust my friends opinions, are not fanboys or fanatics etc. Now i dont know, this might be a coincidence and proves nothing. Im waiting to play the game myself and ill let you know.

On the other hand i think anticipation, hype and any kind of nostalgia hit the critics in the head. Many examples imo. Many games comes in my mind that critics praised them when they were underwhelming, some more than others but still. GTA4, Diablo 3 to name a few. Who in their right mind would score Diablo 3 9/10 .... or GTA4 10/10 and the list goes on and on.

I really think that some people either getting paid for their reviews ( i dont want to beleive it but ... ) or are so into hype themselves that cant be 100% objective. I cant find other reasons for a critic to praise a game like the second coming when it has FLAWS left and right like Diablo 3 had for example. It just doesnt make sense.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

LOL that god of let down got cows upset

cows need to bring back the king of 3rd person..zelda

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Agree with OP.

Darksiders 2 was way better.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KBFloYd

@uninspiredcup said:

Agree with OP.

crack cocaine is a helluva drug

lol

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@Enragedhydra said:
@calvincfb said:

Like your a somebody. All you do is complain about other people's consoles especially the X1 as I have noticed

Lol, yeah pretty much sums up his interaction on GS.

babyjoker1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 babyjoker1221
Member since 2015 • 1313 Posts

I expect several threads exactly like this on regarding God of War DE in the coming months. Once the artificial hype dies down, a game must stand on its own merits. Seeing as BOTW is leagues better than GoW DE, I expect that game will get it even worse.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

Fun game, but yeah I agree. Ocarina of Time is my favorite game ever made and it is full of great moments, great soundtrack, great characters, and for what it did for the industry in terms of its game design.

Breath of the Wild feels like Nintendo westernized the franchise a little too much for a Zelda game in my opinion. The dungeons were so-so. Music was....meh, but I did like the nod to Wind Waker's Dragon Roost Island with the bird people village having a slowed down version of that song. There's assasin's creed towers to unlock parts of the map and it honestly felt weird to have quests show up on a list like every other open world game does, but Zelda never did before (although I understand why they did that as there are tons of quests to do in a huge sandbox world that it would be easy to forget what you have left to do).

I don't know. I feel mixed about it. It is a good game and I have fun playing it, but it definitely feels like its missing the more complex, longer dungeons, more unique characters, better soundtrack, that the old Zeldas have. But then it would have to be re-done in a totally different way. It works for what it is, I guess.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#24 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts

I feel very similar. I was ready to quit the game in the early stages as I was simply frustrated and having no fun at all. I toughed it out, and it did get better, in that it became tolerable. It is oddly the most difficult Zelda I have played, and also by far the most easy. Most difficult in the early hours, total snooze fest beyond that.

There is just way to many flaws to this game for me to think it is good as either a Zelda title, or even just a game in general. For instance, I have heard a number of people say how it is such an improvement on the open world genera. I couldn't argue more strenuously against this claim. Everything it tries to do is done better in other titles.

I think in the end though, it just speaks to certain people, but not to me.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#25  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

@theproof: I agree. It lacks the special formula that made past Zelda games amazing. Breath of the Wild is just another good open world game. Here are my thoughts after finishing it during the launch period....

https://www.gamespot.com/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/user-reviews/2200-12721131/

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Blake Shelton gets it.

Loading Video...

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27  Edited By AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

The game it was a big disappointment for me too.

Completely agree on all points but the worst part of the game is the frustrating durability and weapon breaking system,no fun at all.....and the reason i never finish the game.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KBFloYd

@AtariKidX said:

Completely agree on all points but the worst part of the game is the frustrating durability and weapon breaking system,no fun at all.....and the reason i never finish the game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@theproof: I'd like to address your points more specifically one by one, if I might. Some of them I agree with and others I don't.

1. Regarding weapon durability.

I think this is a largely misunderstood design choice, and is usually regarded negatively due to other games conditioning players to seek out one strong weapon and use that until it is replaced by an even stronger weapon. You suggest that weapons in BoTW are valueless, but I'd argue the contrary. In fact I think weapon durability means you make the most of your inventory far more than you do in other games which encourage you to use your strongest weapon without any repercussions. Here, the best course of action is to use items strong enough to dispose of enemies but not strong enough that they are wasted on the difficulty of the enemy. Finding a balance and disposing of enemies in creative ways gets full use of the player's toolkit so it also encourages you to explore outside of your basic weapons and taken advantage of physics, vertical space and elements to preserve your inventory for when you really need it. I do think there are other ways the game could have encouraged this behavior such as binding weapon types to stamina and making it about preserving that resource, but the weapons as ammo solution isn't bad to me and reminds me of survival horror games in some aspects. Titles such as Resident Evil don't encourage the player to kill the weakest of enemies with the shotgun or sniper, those are to be used only in situations where they are necessary. BoTW is no different.

It also allows for players to discover and equip weapons 'out of sequence'. You can sneak into a tough area, take a weapon and use it without fast-tracking your way through much of the game. Other games might restrict weapon usage to level or allow you to surpass the game. Weapon durability gives players an advantage but one that cannot be abused.

2. Regarding dungeons.

I would love to see them try lengthier dungeons with the BoTW design philosophy. One major aspect I definitely would like to see return is dungeon aesthetics. Shrines and Divine Beasts all had this pretty uninteresting, uniform look that I don't think served the game well. Especially considering the rest of the game's environments are so pretty. However, I don't want a return to long-form dungeons to be cynical. They have to preserve what makes BoTW interesting which is systemic, multi-threaded gameplay. I would take BoTW dungeon design as it is over Wind Waker design. While WW is aesthetically prettier, the dungeons are far too simplistic and linear to work in a game like BoTW which is so much about figuring out unique ways of solving a problem. So while this design element of Zelda would be invited with open arms, it's not to say that I think past dungeon design in Zelda games have always been great; and in a number of instances, BoTW's dungeons are better than, say Phantom Hourglass or Wind Waker. I'm not sure about the quantity of shrines though. I thought there was more than enough of them.

3. Regarding the size of the world.

It's too large. There is an awful lot of wasted space in the game. That being said, interfacing with the world is tons of fun and there are numerous ways you can get around quickly if you get creative with the status and physic systems. I also think the game does a great job of capturing the wanderlust of exploring a space. I definitely got a child-like sense of exploration when seeing something curious in the distance, putting a pin down and seeking it out. I feel this element could be preserved while making the map a little smaller and more focused.

4. Regarding boss fights.

Final boss fight is lame, but there are elements to the new boss designs I like. Particularly in how you can attack whenever you please. It doesn't operate on the Zelda tradition of exploiting a weakspot and hammering him three times until he dies; which was formulaic and often limiting to only using that 1 item you get in that specific dungeon. It was completely devoid of player expression. The new system is more free-form, allowing for multiple solutions to a fight, which is what an interesting combat system is all about. By in large I think the problem is more the aesthetics of the fights. Bosses simply don't look interesting compared to the scale and diversity of previous bosses in Zelda titles. I disagree that BoTW has a good combat system. Most of Link's moves are bound to a single button and state-modifications based on whether you're in the air or sprinting etc. Enemy design is too limiting as is Link's moveset, which makes the purpose of having a system (like weapon durability) which encourages players to experiment with the sandbox element of the game. Otherwise, I would argue the game would be more dull if you restricted yourself to using one weapon for the entire game because Link's moveset is simply to shallow to be interesting.

5. Regarding scores.

Critic scores? I don't listen to them. Especially not with the Zelda series when some pretty dull games have been praised so highly. That being said, I think much of the praise for the game can be tracked to the use of systemic gameplay, multi-threaded combat and puzzle solutions and a great sense of exploration. I do think it's a flawed game, and personally I wouldn't go as far as giving it a 10/10 or whatever but it is one of the more exciting 3D Zelda games to release for me. I feel like it's a fun game in its own right and one which provides a solid foundation to improve upon in the next game.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#30 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

I agree. Pure open world games typically display the problems that even Zelda couldn't escape.

I actually switched it on today and couldn't think of anything meaningful to pursue in the post-game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
deactivated-5fd4737f5f083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
Member since 2018 • 937 Posts

I must admit, after 120 hours I've lost the will to finish it, however for nay game to keep me playing for 120 also says a lot for how good it is. I feel that's more a problem with how I play games than an issue with the game itself.

It does lack a certain atmosphere that other open world games like Witcher 3 have though which makes a difference.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
Member since 2017 • 2335 Posts

Breath of the Wild is music to my ears. Has that same effect. It's a good tool.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

One of the best games ever made. Atmospheric, charming, great world, music, art style and unmatched gameplay especially for open world.

Honestly can’t find myself in any of your criticisms with the game. Even weapon durability was something I enjoyed, since it adds to the survival gameplay and the fact you can throw your broken weapons for extra damage adds to the strategic combat.

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

There's 120 shrines.

How the f is that not many?

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2310 Posts

I agree. Overall all, i got a lot of time invested in BOTW and enjoyed it for the most part but IMO it is insanely overrated

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#36 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

LOL that god of let down got cows upset

cows need to bring back the king of 3rd person..zelda

@KBFloYd said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Agree with OP.

crack cocaine is a helluva drug

lol

@KBFloYd said:
@AtariKidX said:

Look @ how many replies in such a short time... defensive much?!

How much more butthurt can you get over someone else's opinions over your much beloved game from your much beloved developer?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

"I have an unusual opinion about a popular game, pay attention to meeeeeee!!!!!"

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

It’s by far the best open world game that I have ever played. That said, I really miss the old dungeons and wish there were more variety with the bosses and even the monsters in the world. I think this is an excellent title to build from and expect the next title to be truly great.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#39 texasgoldrush  Online
Member since 2003 • 14893 Posts

Wow, people here think that Zelda should stick to formula......sorry but the formula was about to fail, look at Skyward Sword.

Like it or not BOTW saved Zelda, get over it.

And it doesn't spoon feed you content like a Horizon Zero Dawn does. Now thats an overrated game.

Theproof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Theproof

@BassMan: @BassMan: I agree with everything you said in that thread you created. It's not a bad game by any means. Just underwhelming compared to other Zelda's.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@foxhound_fox: You've pretty much described this board including your posts.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@foxhound_fox: this describes a good 60-90 percent of threads about popular critically acclaimed games on sw.

ToonLonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ToonLonk
Member since 2017 • 440 Posts
Loading Video...

ToonLonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ToonLonk

@foxhound_fox: Truest thing I've heard all day, I swear to god.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@Enragedhydra said:
@calvincfb said:

Lol, yeah pretty much sums up his interaction on GS.

And asking silly questions.

ToonLonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ToonLonk

@Sgt_Crow: Cannot agree with you more. Also, nice profile pic.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

Breaking weapons and no dungeons killed the experience for me. Made it to the 3rd beast and couldn't bring myself to play further. I've been a fan since the original on the nes. Loved the art design but thats about the only positive thing I have to say about it.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

Oh has BotW reached that stage on the internet circle jerk

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

The weapon durability was neither stupid or frustrating. You probably just suck. I can imagine it being frustrating for people who suck.

Lack of dungeons I agree is dissapointing.

The world is huge, but really fucking far from "baron" (nice spelling, lol). Probably the best open world created yet.

The NPCs are a bit lifeless when you compare to other Zelda games. Still better than most other games, though.

Boss fights and final boss was not very good, I agree.

Putting the things that aren't super great aside, the game is still incredible.

If they take a lot from BotW, make some big dungeons, make more enemy types, big and cool bosses.. that would be the game of all games. Can't wait to see where they'll take the Zelda series from here.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

The brittle weapons really bothered me at the beginning of the game, when good weapons were hard to come by and you couldn't hold a lot of weapons. Once you get to the point where you get an expanded inventory, I actually felt like the brittle weapons added to the experience, though. It made it so that I couldn't just mainline one-handed swords and had to become adequate with polearms and other two handed weapons. It really changes how you defend yourself more than anything. It would be nice if the weapons you get as rewards for completing the dungeons were better than they are, though. They aren't really even worth repairing, since they cost so much and you can find better weapons just laying around.