YTD Dollar Sales of Nintendo Switch Are The Highest of Any Hardware In US history! (NPD)

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
GoldenElementXL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GoldenElementXL
Member since 2016 • 4225 Posts

NPD RESULTS

Hardware

Hardware spending in April 2020 grew 163% when compared to a year ago, to $420m

. This is the highest total for an April month since the $427m total achieved in April 2008. Year-to-date spending reached $1.2B, a 30% increase when compared to a year ago.

Nintendo Switch was the best-selling hardware platform of Apil in both unit and dollar sales. Dollar sales of PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Switch each increased by more than 160 percent when compared to April 2019.

Year-to-date dollar sales of Nintendo Switch are the highest of any hardware platform in US history. The previous high was set by the Nintendo Wii in the year-to-date period ending April 2009.

Software

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 30959 Posts

Reading this while playing Zelda links awakening.😂

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
MclarenMaster18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By MclarenMaster18
Member since 2014 • 2818 Posts

That's good, the reason why Nintendo Switch is outselling PS4 and Xbox One because it's a newer generation console meanwhile PS4 and Xbox One both soon will become the legacy consoles when PS5 and Xbox Series X comes out by fall 2020.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 35927 Posts

@mclarenmaster18 said:

That's good, the reason why Nintendo Switch is outselling PS4 and Xbox One because it's a newer generation of console meanwhile PS4 and Xbox One both soon will become the legacy consoles when PS5 and Xbox Series X comes out by fall 2020.

No it's because it's a Mobile gaming device. How do I know this you ask, because if it wasn't it would be failing worse than the Wii U. lol :P

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 3174 Posts

The Switch has always been in a good seller, and the pandemic has placed them in an especially good position unique from the competition.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ecb2310ef8c3
deactivated-5ecb2310ef8c3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5ecb2310ef8c3
Member since 2020 • 58 Posts

I think Switch sales will start to decline next year.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 30264 Posts

Very impressive indeed. I’m currently playing Animal Crossing on mine while I read this thread so there you go. Such a cool system with tons of great games and is very handy to play on.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@SecretPolice said:
@mclarenmaster18 said:

That's good, the reason why Nintendo Switch is outselling PS4 and Xbox One because it's a newer generation of console meanwhile PS4 and Xbox One both soon will become the legacy consoles when PS5 and Xbox Series X comes out by fall 2020.

No it's because it's a Mobile gaming device. How do I know this you ask, because if it wasn't it would be failing worse than the Wii U. lol :P

^ I like these two warring forms of damage control.

People just like the Switch. It doesn't need a formula.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#9 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 39228 Posts

The Switch is the replacement for the 3DS a top selling hardware.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 26037 Posts

Go Switch! Now please start making more announcements like the one you did with Paper Mario.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 6199 Posts

Nice. They would sell even more if you could duct tape 2 of them together and make BotW run better.

Can't wait for the new Paper Mario!

Random_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#12 Random_Matt
Member since 2013 • 4987 Posts

More sub 30 fps/720p screen, it is 2020.

briguyb13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 briguyb13
Member since 2007 • 3865 Posts

@Random_Matt said:

More sub 30 fps/720p screen, it is 2020.

dat salt

Sadpolar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sadpolar7
Member since 2016 • 70 Posts

It’s just a great system. I enjoy it much more than I do with the Ps4 I have collecting dust. Pc and Switch is a great combo for gaming.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 16176 Posts

So people while in lockdown are buying a mobile device to play while walking around their lounge rooms. makes sense LOL.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 1109 Posts

Mobile device made for your average casual to play Angry Birds on a bus. This system shouldn't even be considered as a gaming platform. Its in the "smartphone gamer" category.

Nintendo sure fund a gold mine, tho. Mobile gaming is huge, and full of children with their little iPad playing fortnite/minecraft. The Switch offers just that plus your yearly Mario and a new Zelda per 5 years. Since the other two aren't competing in the mobile space, i don't see why Nintendo ain't making an expensive/much slicker/more powerful version of the Switch. With how popular it is, there's no way people wouldn't be spending $500 a much more powerful and most importantly slicker looking version of the Switch. It'd be the new iPhone fad everyone is buying just because its popular.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 16176 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Mobile device made for your average casual to play Angry Birds on a bus. This system shouldn't even be considered as a gaming platform. Its in the "smartphone gamer" category.

Nintendo sure fund a gold mine, tho. Mobile gaming is huge, and full of children with their little iPad playing fortnite/minecraft. The Switch offers just that plus your yearly Mario and a new Zelda per 5 years. Since the other two aren't competing in the mobile space, i don't see why Nintendo ain't making an expensive/much slicker/more powerful version of the Switch. With how popular it is, there's no way people wouldn't be spending $500 a much more powerful and most importantly slicker looking version of the Switch. It'd be the new iPhone fad everyone is buying just because its popular.

Well when it comes to mobile phones you're the man in the know LOL.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 671 Posts

As a switch owner, this is both good and bad news. Good in that Nintendo will continue to invest in new games for the system, and bad in that they'll be doubling down on weak, overpriced, unimpressive hardware in the future. Jaggies and low framerates are bad enough, but the stupid thing isn't even good at being mobile console, being (unlike the 3DS) too big for pockets and too delicate without purchasing an additional case.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 216

#19 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 14627 Posts

At this rate, my prediction for the Switch from several years ago (that it can cross 100 million and surpass the Wii) might actually come true.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22121 Posts

mario #1 :P

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 35927 Posts

@xantufrog said:
@SecretPolice said:
@mclarenmaster18 said:

People just didn't like the Wii U, it needed a "Mobile Gaming" formula. lolol.... Amright? :P

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 14066 Posts

I remember NPD threads. Man they were great!

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 5620 Posts

@Jag85 said:

At this rate, my prediction for the Switch from several years ago (that it can cross 100 million and surpass the Wii) might actually come true.

I wouldn't bet against such a prediction at all. When the supply issues are fixed I'd imagine the numbers will go through the roof and if Nintendo can maintain a strong release schedule from now until Xmas, look out.

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 1576 Posts

@Solaryellow said:
@Jag85 said:

I wouldn't bet against such a prediction at all. When the supply issues are fixed I'd imagine the numbers will go through the roof and if Nintendo can maintain a strong release schedule from now until Xmas, look out.

It's not even looking like it needs to be heavily discounted to shift either, 55mil in 3 years, what was it? 7 years for the wii to break 100 mil? and the 3ds/ds were what 200mil plus combined? I'd say 100 mill is more than achievable for the switch.

phbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#25 phbz
Member since 2009 • 5690 Posts

Nintendo is definitely doomed.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 216

#26 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 14627 Posts

@phbz: Doomed since 1889.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 11272 Posts

Is it the best handheld ever?

Buying my 11 year old daughter one for her birthday. For me I'll take my cell phone.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#28 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4256 Posts

@xantufrog said:
@SecretPolice said:
@mclarenmaster18 said:

Exactly. Switch has tons of amazing games. And for moving consoles, thats what matters most.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5533 Posts

I contributed with 3 units to those 55+ million sold and have no regrets for doing so, great system.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 5983 Posts

Glad to see Nintendo killing it. I think we will see a string of Switch like consoles from them for years to come. As long as they keep the ability to dock the consoles I'm cool with it. I could honestly see them really embracing the mobile side of things as well... where as they have already done this to some extent there is a lot of money there and some pretty decent games. If they keep going that route while still pushing out quality exclusives and party games then they will continue to kill it in sales. I personally love the Switch and all its quirky little family games.

Atomic1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Atomic1977
Member since 2004 • 240 Posts

Introducing the baby Switch the Switch Lite. This little thing does far more than what any previous portable game system has done. Nintendo Power Go Nintendo.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#32  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 39228 Posts

@xantufrog said:
@SecretPolice said:
@mclarenmaster18 said:

Yes! The Switch is not succeeding because of any formula, its purely an accident right? 🤦‍♂️You can do better than that.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@Pedro: i don't think you understood what I mean - I don't mean there aren't causes for its appeal. I mean there isn't a simple "it's just because ___" answer. One person blamed it all an one thing - and another all an another. Give me a break

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 42004 Posts

@Pedro: Ummm, did you even understood what Xantufrog was saying at all?

Atomic1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Atomic1977
Member since 2004 • 240 Posts

Thanks to the Covid 19 era. Nintendo’s latest system has been the go to system of the year. Expect to see the numbers increase as time goes on.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#36  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 25799 Posts

@kuu2 said:

Is it the best handheld ever?

Buying my 11 year old daughter one for her birthday. For me I'll take my cell phone.

It's pretty good.

Is Xbox One the best poor man's PC ever? Might buy one for my friend who can't afford to upgrade PC parts and isn't smart enough to operate a PC.