YS Net not able to give Steam keys to backers until a year AFTER release on Epic.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61427 Posts

Yup. That's just a giant kick in the ol' danglers for many backers. Epic is also offering refunds to backers, if no key availability is available... Which is outright laughable.

Link.

Ys Net has issued an official statement about Shenmue 3’s platform availability. According to the team, all backers will receive free Steam keys once the game becomes available on Valve’s digital platform.

“In response to backers who have requested Steam keys for their rewards, we discussed offering the keys on the day of release. However, coordination with the sales policies of the involved companies was untenable, and as a result we are not able to make a day one distribution option for Steam keys available.

That we are not able to offer Steam keys for Kickstarter rewards at the time of the game’s release is a great disappointed and inconvenience for those backers who were expecting to receive them. We deeply apologize for the unrest caused by the announcement.”

What this ultimately means is that backers will receive their free Steam keys one year after the game’s release on the Epic Games Store. However, backers will also receive an Epic Games Store key when the game comes out on November 19th.

Ys Net has also confirmed that the PC physical copies will contain a key for the Epic Games Store and the Epic Games Store launcher, and not the actual game data.

Last but not least, Ys Net, Deep Silver and Epic Games announced that refund requests will be honored, and that details concerning the refund request process will be announced in a following update.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I moved my "reward" to PS4 and am moving on. I'm not giving Epic my player count bought out from under me, but I'm going to play the game I paid for, dammit

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lundy86_4

@xantufrog said:

I moved my "reward" to PS4 and am moving on. I'm not giving Epic my player count bought out from under me, but I'm going to play the game I paid for, dammit

Yeah, it's such a shitty and divisive situation. Consumers are coming out of the gate being fully taken advantage of and screwed over.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9384 Posts

That's terrible. People who forsake their crowd-funding backers should burn in the deepest levels of hell, but I'd settle for them going broke and being publicly humiliated.

I'd encourage all those who backed this to refund it. Even if you buy it again in a few weeks, refund it just to make them honor it for being filthy liars.

Fucking scum ruining one of the few ways small devs can make games without getting involved with sleazy publishers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

Stop being mean to Epic. You entitled PC gamers can't just click a few buttons to open another launcher?

/s. You know someone's going to say it though lol.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I'm not sure what the big deal is on this specific game for Steam vs Epic.

1. It's still on PC.

2. It's not a multiplayer game

What's the problem with Epic? Genuine question as I've been a "Playstation as my main" gamer since 1995.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Hope this will be the end of crowd funded games. If you can’t keep your promises while making the game then you don’t deserve my money.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@Telekill: Epic is anti consumer, has a terrible storefront lacking a great number of features, moneyhatting, potential spyware Pos. There have been several threads here and other places. If you want to know more just search it.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@fedor: Appreciate the response. I didn't know about the possible spyware. That's reason enough.

Carry on gents.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 44943 Posts

Eh, I get why people are annoyed, but in the end, is it really that big of a deal? It's a single player game and the Epic launcher is free. They are also offering to give Steam keys after the exclusivity ends. They also added stuff to the game that was originally part of the stretch goals that did not get funded. In the end, I hope this game succeeds and we get a fourth one.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Guess I may be forced into a copy for PS5, Shenmue is the best game ever so may not be able to hold off. As has already been said, screw fucking Epic.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#12 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69089 Posts

Shitty looking game with shitty policies to backers.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lundy86_4

@SolidGame_basic said:

Eh, I get why people are annoyed, but in the end, is it really that big of a deal? It's a single player game and the Epic launcher is free.

It really is... First and foremost, backers got screwed if they chose Steam, and had to either choose an alternative, or wait a year (after funding the thing.) The rest lies within the issues of the Epic store/launcher which has a multitude of issues.

At the end of the day, it's poor practice al round, which seems to be confirmed with the fact that Epic are funding the refunds... That Fortnite money being put to good use.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#14  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19379 Posts

Aa a backer, I couldn't care less if it's on Steam or Epic.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lundy86_4

@Jag85 said:

Aa a backer, I couldn't care less if it's on Steam or Epic.

That's fair. Not everyone will be affected by this.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jag85

@lundy86_4: It's fair enough for me. I'm not interested in this Steam vs. Epic war. If YS Net can make some money with this Epic deal, then good for them. That just means more funding for Shenmue IV.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By lundy86_4

@Jag85 said:

@lundy86_4: It's fair enough for me. I'm not interested in this Steam vs. Epic war. If YS Net can make some money with this Epic deal, then good for them. That just means more funding for Shenmue IV.

Potentially, but there is something to be said for screwing the people who Kickstarted your new game, because Ys Net may have been struggling for a publisher/funding. It's a shit-ass move, but people may not be affected.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55899 Posts

I never give a damn about Shenmue 3 kickstarter cause I move on after Shenmue 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Thats so nice of Epic to offer refunds, its nice to see they are looking after consumers :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

If I cared enough to back, I'd just take an Epic copy, but I'd want something in return, like a coupon or something.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8461 Posts

@Jag85 said:

So, you're okay with Dev/Publisher reaping the rewards while screwing over the consumers/backers that funded your game in the first place when publishers refused to do that? All things considered this probably means less money for Shenmue 4 and other small developers that are potentially looking at Kickstarter/crowd funding.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PC_Rocks

I hope people have become smarter now and demand Kickstarter to make those clear up front and liable for damages/interest if they knowingly screw over their backers not just refunds.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

I don't see what the fuss is about, all you need to do is download some Chinese spyware agree to whatever their TOS is and press the play button.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19551 Posts

If Epic cared about these developers and their backers, they would let the developers provide Steam keys to backers.

Then again, crowdfunding is what makes these games such easy targets for Epic. It's the perfect mix of struggling developers (who can't say no to a pot of money) and locked-in customers (who have already paid, and who may be desperate enough to get the game that they'll not request a refund).

Epic throws money at the developer, buys exclusive publishing rights for the game, and reaps in thousands of backers who no longer get a choice of platform. If the backers complain, they'll ruin the reputation of the developers - but there's no consequences for Epic, who are never going to be popular either way.

It's a pretty good racket, really. The long-term consequences mean that the developers will mostly lose their fanbases, and their games will never be big hits, and they'll never get backing for later projects...so the developers might die out, but it's a win-win for the publisher.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Sue them to the ground. They have no ground to stand on. They lied to there backers.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 14

#26 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41489 Posts

Man, this just puts a dent in Suzuki's reputation, don't it?

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

I LOL at how PC gamers brag for years about the freedom they have to play any game they want from virtually any system that ever existed....

But they get mad because they have to double click an icon on their desktop that’s not steam.

What a freaking joke LMAO

Get over it. I am a backer of Shenmue 3. I got the PS4 version because LOL PC gaming.

I LOL at everyone who is legit butt hurt over this.

Just download the damn epic launcher and use it you noobs.

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts
@Telekill said:

I'm not sure what the big deal is on this specific game for Steam vs Epic.

1. It's still on PC.

2. It's not a multiplayer game

What's the problem with Epic? Genuine question as I've been a "Playstation as my main" gamer since 1995.

It's basically just hardcore Valve fanboyism. Even though 99.998% of Steam users already just use Discord or other third party social apps. They pulled the same shit with Origin even though Origin had far better download speeds and customer support than Steam at the time. ??‍♂️ It's strange to see such regressive tribal behavior on a platform that's supposed to open for competition.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jag85

@pc_rocks: Nope, it doesn't bother me one bit. I'm not invested in this whole Steam vs. Epic war. And I doubt most other backers are either.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 xantufrog  Moderator

@Rockman999: no it's not. I far prefer GoG to Steam. What's regressive is people siding with anticonsumer practices to trivialize concerns of gamers who don't want a regression in their experience. I can't wrap my head around people like you who see nothing wrong with someone buying a version of a game and then being given another. I mean c'mon, companies will take and take and take if we let them. It's our job as consumers to choose who gets our money and for what.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21695 Posts

@xantufrog said:

That's probably what I'm doing. The hell with Epic; they've really soured me on this game.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58646 Posts

@ten_pints said:

I don't see what the fuss is about, all you need to do is download some Chinese spyware agree to whatever their TOS is and press the play button.

Exactly. And just a different exe, it doesn't mean you're actively promoting a mentality of limiting user options and rewarding cynicism as they treat you like a brain-dead dribbling herd to directed to 100% self-serving means to your detriment, with a big shit eating apologetic grin.

Chill out bros. All that money will be used for goody goodness and make the world a better place for everyone. World peace can be achieved though Epic Store.

Also, to all the haters, Tim Sweeny is a very nice man, read his tweets. He done say good things, which means reality quite fucking obviously mirrors this.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34469 Posts
@ajstyles said:

I LOL at how PC gamers brag for years about the freedom they have to play any game they want from virtually any system that ever existed....

But they get mad because they have to double click an icon on their desktop that’s not steam.

What a freaking joke LMAO

Get over it. I am a backer of Shenmue 3. I got the PS4 version because LOL PC gaming.

I LOL at everyone who is legit butt hurt over this.

Just download the damn epic launcher and use it you noobs.

I don't know how many times people have tried to explain to people like you that the bold part isn't the problem. It's ridiculous how dumb / ignorant you are.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

@Litchie: Then what is the problem?

You double click steam and play the game.

You double click epic store and play the game.

I don’t understand the difference. Please explain it to me. Both result in the player playing the game. It’s the same thing.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@ajstyles: how many times to people need to write out the list of differences and issues between the platforms on here? If you openly don't understand what the issue is, don't tell people who are affected by the discussion to stop caring. You could read these forums, or Google, or both, before trivializing the concern.

I was also thinking a lot about this specific Shenmue case last night. Let me pose this question to the "shut up and take it" people. Even if you don't know or care about the Epic store differences. Even then. Let's pretend there's no big difference. In fact, let's set gaming aside completely. Let's say you go to Amazon Music, and buy a $2 Rolling Stones MP3 to add to the rest of your Rolling Stones song library. Stakes couldn't be smaller, right? Low cost, trivial item. So you click pay, Amazon thanks you for your money. Then you get an email from them saying Apple just made an acquisition of publishing rights to the media, and so your download will be redirected to iTunes (RIP) instead. No biggie, you just need to download iTunes, create an Apple account, and you'll get the song in a proprietary format (that used to be a thing, anyway) for that store - now separate from the rest of your music library.

Even if we pretend there's no EGS-vs-Steam difference, can you seriously tell me you wouldn't be bothered by that? There's nothing remotely anti-consumer going on, and you wouldn't care one whit that the song you bought in one format was literally scooped out from under you without your permission and put on a different platform separate from your song library? No issue? "Just launch another app to hear the song, lazybones"?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I'm still getting my free games from the EGS, but I'll never buy anything from them. They are getting really scummy.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Litchie

@ajstyles: Are you just playing dumb? The reasons why people dislike Epic is all over the internet. Even this very forum. Try opening your eyes or stop trolling, whichever it is.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 xantufrog  Moderator

@ajstyles: NOT fanwars

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#41 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

If only there was a way to install another app that made possible to play the game at release. Alas!

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PC_Rocks

@Jag85 said:

@pc_rocks: Nope, it doesn't bother me one bit. I'm not invested in this whole Steam vs. Epic war. And I doubt most other backers are either.

That's not what I said. Steam vs Epic is another thing, screwing over your backers is another. Whether most backers are invested in it or not, even if one of them wasn't onboard, backpedaling on your promises are morally, ethically and professionally wrong.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 PC_Rocks

@xantufrog said:

@Rockman999: no it's not. I far prefer GoG to Steam. What's regressive is people siding with anticonsumer practices to trivialize concerns of gamers who don't want a regression in their experience. I can't wrap my head around people like you who see nothing wrong with someone buying a version of a game and then being given another. I mean c'mon, companies will take and take and take if we let them. It's our job as consumers to choose who gets our money and for what.

Why the hell are you wasting your time with such people. It isn't like the entire case hasn't been explained countless times to the very same people. They are just here to troll PC gamers and will repeat the same thing in another thread.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jag85

@xantufrog: Not a good analogy. A song is only a few minutes long, and can be put on playlists. Songs on different platforms would mess up your playlists. A video game is many hours long, and doesn't need to be on any playlist.

And I hate to agree with ajstyles, but it is a trivial concern to me. If it's a serious concern for you guys, then sure, feel free to complain. This is the internet, free speech and all.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 xantufrog  Moderator

@Jag85: ok

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts
@xantufrog said:

But it is still the same version of the game that was promised. It's not like people were promised a PS5/Xbone 2 version and then suddenly given a Switch copy. This is not a bait and switch situation, It's still the same PC version whether its launched from Steam, GOG, ThePirateBay or EGS. If it's that much of an issue to people then by all means hammer the developer for your refund.

Of all the kickstarter scams and controversies to come out in the last decade, this is really one of the most minuscule and benign ones out there.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Litchie

@mary_issac said:

That's so bad :(.

It was bad about a year ago. Don't bump old threads.