Your thoughts on PlatinumGames this gen?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Your thoughts on PlatinumGames this gen? (43 votes)

God tier developer 19%
Not god tier, but pretty great. 30%
They're just ok. 35%
They suck. 16%

Platinum is one of my favorite developers. They have given us Bayonetta 2, Nier Automata, Astral Chain, and I'm also going to throw in Wonderul 101 Remastered since that technically is part of this gen lol. Their one game Scalebound got canceled by Micorosft. I guess that's a negative against them. But overall, they've had some great relationships with publishers. They're also working on Bayonetta 3 and Babylon's Fall which I'm hyped for. So in my book, they are great, and because Bayonetta is one of my favorite franchises, I'm going with god tier on this one. Thoughts, SW? How would you evaluate PlatinumGames this gen?

• 
ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 19597 Posts

THEY SUCK

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 clone01
Member since 2003 • 28424 Posts

Never really played anything besides Bayonetta. The play style is a little too hyperactive for me.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 8005 Posts

Great, Nier and Bayonetta put them on that level but they also had some misses that keep them from God tier.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 27740 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

THEY SUCK

lol, traitor!

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 19597 Posts

Voted god tier. When they're on top of their game, insanely good action game dev. Combat systems you can dig into for years.

Some of their games are merely just good and they've also developed some mediocre "pay the bills" games. But taking them at their best titles with their own properties, killer dev.

Just wish they'd actually get one of their main games out some time soon lol. Have the highest hopes for Project GG, their Kamiya directed games have been their best. But obviously wanting that Bayo 3 as well.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 2467 Posts

Meh.

I liked their work with Sega much better

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 9831 Posts

I didn't play a single game of theirs.

Ezekiel43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ezekiel43
Member since 2017 • 3058 Posts

Nier: Automata - 7/10

Astra Chain - 7/10

Bayonetta 2 Switch - 7/10

They're okay.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 32307 Posts

Voted God Tier myself because they are just that damn good. If you can’t tell I love their games. I’m definitely stoked for Bayonetta 3.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SolidGame_basic

@ConanTheStoner said:

Voted god tier. When they're on top of their game, insanely good action game dev. Combat systems you can dig into for years.

Some of their games are merely just good and they've also developed some mediocre "pay the bills" games. But taking them at their best titles with their own properties, killer dev.

Just wish they'd actually get one of their main games out some time soon lol. Have the highest hopes for Project GG, their Kamiya directed games have been their best. But obviously wanting that Bayo 3 as well.

Ok good, lol. I forgot about Project GG. Dude, did you play Astral Chain yet? Enjoy it?

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By Sushiglutton  Online
Member since 2009 • 8127 Posts

They had that super year back in the ps3 days when they released both Vanquish and Bayonetta. I thought they would conquer the world. But haven’t really played much of their work since. I think the only game I’ve played would be Metal Gear: Rising?

So I went with “just ok”.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SolidGame_basic

@Archangel3371 said:

Voted God Tier myself because they are just that damn good. If you can’t tell I love their games. I’m definitely stoked for Bayonetta 3.

Wouldn't it be sweet if we got Bayonetta 3 on the Switch Pro at 60fps?! Bayonetta 2 was still pretty respectable on the regular Switch.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Archangel3371

@SolidGame_basic: It sure would but I’m just happy that we’re even getting a Bayonetta 3 at all.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 2467 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

They had that super year back in the ps3 days when they released both Vanquish and Bayonetta. I thought they would conquer the world. But haven’t really played much of their work since. I think the only game I’ve played would be Metal Gear: Rising?

I'm disappointed Vanquish never got a sequel. Much more deserving of one than Bayonetta.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Archangel3371

I also enjoyed Transformers: Devastation. The level design was kind of bland but the gameplay was quite fun.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Sushiglutton  Online
Member since 2009 • 8127 Posts

@vl4d_l3nin said:
@Sushiglutton said:

I'm disappointed Vanquish never got a sequel. Much more deserving of one than Bayonetta.

Yeah I don’t remember ever seeing the reason for that? Always seemed like an IP with lots of potential to me.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SolidGame_basic

@Archangel3371 said:

I also enjoyed Transformers: Devastation. The level design was kind of bland but the gameplay was quite fun.

Did you enjoy Astral Chain? I felt like that game is underappreciated even though it managed to sell a million units.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#18 Star67
Member since 2005 • 4783 Posts

I was hyped for Astral Chain, but ended up really disappointed with it. The controls were not clicking with me, and the entire game just felt "Samey" to me. Not a lot of Variety

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Archangel3371

@SolidGame_basic: Yep, absolutely. Wouldn’t mind playing through it a second time if I can ever find the time. I got a hell of a backlog piling up. 😅

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6067 Posts

Never played any of their games. Not my thing.

Duckyindiana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Duckyindiana
Member since 2006 • 2496 Posts

I like them but kind of a one trick pony right now would like to see them try their talents on other genres a bit more

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 63220 Posts

After Wonderful 101 they have been a disappointment.

Bayonetta 2 regressed so much from 1 and it’s effects how light how wack that studio is when a Kamiya or Mikami isn’t directing.

Those licensed games they made were either bad or at best above okay like transformers.

Nier 2 is a huge improvement over the first nier game, but that’s not saying anything cavia and taro can’t design for shit. While the player kit has neat aspects the game makes baffling decisions in regards to enemy attack options and properties that are tied to rpg shit.

Astral Chain is at the least a unique battle system from them and solid all things considered but it’s a far cry from the depth provided by some of the best games in the genre. Like congrats they made a better version of V from DMC5? Except I play that game for Nero and Uncle Dante, and they haven’t come close to having a player kit as rich as either of those two.

It’s still a studio I’m invested in enough to play their stuff, and it’s much better than the parade of trash this forum shills. But my expectations were a lot higher when Bayonetta came out and became one of my favorite games, ever.

Bayonetta 3 has been announced and I have zero excitement for it. I know that shit will be more or less Bayonetta 2-2, instead of putting all the stuff Bayonetta 1 did better right back in.

Oh and Scalebound got cancelled.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5207 Posts

I've only played Nier Automata and voted God tier. If Nier Automata was the only game they ever made they would be God tier in my book just for that.

Phenomenal gameplay, incredible music, totally out there 'story' that explores machines from a human viewpoint. Just fantastic in every way.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 20339 Posts

Up there as one of my favourite devs this gen... between Nier Automata, Astral Chain, Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101 Remastered, it's been an amazing gen for Platinum.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 2378 Posts

They're awesome. Where's my Granblue Fantasy Re:Link, PG???

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 4563 Posts

Outside of Astral Chain there's been nothing that appeals to me.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 18659 Posts

This gen they've sucked. Just one poor excuse after another, i liked the Dreadful 101 excuse the best though.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13616 Posts

They suck. DMC 5 showed what a sequel should be.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 9399 Posts

Great I guess but hovering the just okay due to some missteps.

Nier Automata is certainly amazing and I actually enjoyed Wonderful 101 but I don't like the follow up Astral Chain. Felt the combat is a bit barebones especially if you played Nier Automata and the camera/targeting just sucks ass.

So for now they are pretty great since they and Square Enix Director/visual prowess makes a pretty great game. Babylon's Fall PS5 update and release date soon please.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 sakaiXx
@jasonofa36 said:

They're awesome. Where's my Granblue Fantasy Re:Link, PG???

Platinum no longer works on Re:Link. Cygames have taken over all development progress.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 216

#31 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 15106 Posts

Capcom stole back some of the thunder they lost to Platinum last gen. So that's taken some of the shine off Platinum.

Regardless, Platinum are still top-tier. This gen they gave us great games like Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, Nier Automata and Astral Chain.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 2378 Posts

@sakaixx: Yeah, I know. Kinda feels bad cos I want PG to continue on it. But Cygames might do a good job. We still haven't heard anything about the game for a while now.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sakaiXx

@jasonofa36: The demo from last year seems like it still keeps Platinum style combat but my guess is the devs uses GranBlue Fantasy Versus to test the waters to invest more. I don't think the mobile games is out in west for the series to have a solid footing (I might be wrong I don't play games on mobile) and the RPG is exclusive to PS4 last I heard so it's quite an investment.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SolidGame_basic

@jg4xchamp said:

Astral Chain is at the least a unique battle system from them and solid all things considered but it’s a far cry from the depth provided by some of the best games in the genre. Like congrats they made a better version of V from DMC5? Except I play that game for Nero and Uncle Dante, and they haven’t come close to having a player kit as rich as either of those two.

Better version of V? Your character can actually attack. And there's ways more options. V was so bad!!

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 320 Posts

I preferred Metal Gear Rising to all their stuff this gen. Plus no Vanquish 2 ?!?

Nier did have some great music but ... I don't know if Platinum deserves credit for it. Astral Chain is ok from what I've played so far. I really liked Bayonetta 2 on my first playthrough but it lost some of its luster on the 2nd. Enjoyed Transformers Devastation even though it was pretty lazy.

I need to give W101 another shot before i can properly judge it.

I'd say they've been good this gen. Not great.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 14

#36  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 37692 Posts

Bayonetta 2 is great, but I need to play more Astral Chain and should start W101 (Wii U version; the Switch version can go in a ditch with Sonic Genesis GBA)

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9163 Posts

I voted great but actually feel they are more just okay. Astral chain has good movement and combat but nothing else in that game clicked with me. Automata is great all around tho. So I hope they can replicate their abilities from automata

Magnum3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#38 Magnum3000
Member since 2020 • 1343 Posts

They are okay.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#39  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 26535 Posts

Not a fan. Haven't played Nier Automata, but I usually don't like when games mix a whole bunch of different genres into one game. I found the Bayonetta games annoying. Wonderful 101 too messy, and annoying. Astral Chain looks ok, I guess, but mostly weird. Then they've made some mediocre stuff.

Meh.

I like the concept of the games they're making, but I wish some other studio made them. Like Wonderful 101. Would've been nice if they explained a bit how to play the game and made the graphics in a way so you can see stuff and understand wth is going on better. I find the idea of it is awesome, but not the game. And Bayonetta, spoiled a cool combat system with an annoying character, heaps of cinematics and QTEs. Nier Automata looks cool, and then it becomes a shmup all of a sudden. They're just weird, man. I like some consistency in my games and Platinum does not provide, making their games feel messy to me.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 36942 Posts

They sucked so bad MS was force to cancel the hot mess they created with Scalebound.

Hopefully an actual good dev in the MS huge 1st party stable can bring it back to life. :P