Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By MclarenMaster18
Member since 2014 • 2513 Posts

Dear gamers in the System Wars board!

What's your opinion about this next-generation Xbox console's name?

P.S In my personal opinion, the name sounds pretty good and kind of like a high-performance luxury car.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 657 Posts

Doesn't sound like a single console at all, let alone a new one. It's not like Microsoft has come up with good names for any of it's previous consoles though (aside from the original DirectXBox).

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 41185 Posts

As I said in elsewhere, the design is spot on and great, but the naming is poor, but still nowhere near as bad as Wii U's name to say the least. The "Series" in the middle could've been better but as I understand it, I think it works as an umbrella term since there's rumors of multiple versions launching at once. But I doubt any of the actual consoles will exactly be called that since were gonna get a vanilla console just called Xbox X and an all digital model called something else like Xbox Xcloud at the very minimum. Series X sounds like some cellphone type model series , it's generic but totally not the worst naming.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts

@davillain- said:

As I said in elsewhere, the design is spot on and great, but the naming is poor, but still nowhere near as bad as Wii U's name to say the least. The "Series" in the middle could've been better but as I understand it, I think it works as an umbrella term since there's rumors of multiple versions launching at once. But I doubt any of the actual consoles will exactly be called that since were gonna get a vanilla console just called Xbox X and an all digital model called something else like Xbox Xcloud at the very minimum. Series X sounds like some cellphone type model series , it's generic but totally not the worst naming.

The name sucks...lol. Then again, I can see why they would name it something like that. Like you said, opens up naming other versions of future consoles much easier. I think of them like phone series as well; the iPhone models; iPhone X followed by iPhone X and then you have iPhone XR, XS, XS Max, then iPhone 11 to iPhone 11 Pro and then iPhone 11 Pro Max like what the fu...lmao.

Makes me wonder if they plan on releasing upgraded versions in a faster period like every 2 years or so because we get a damn new iPhone model every single year.

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 BlackShirt20
Member since 2005 • 1472 Posts

Could give a crap less. People saying it’s confusing for grandmas, is dumb. It’s just the gaming media looking for something to talk able.

I’m more interested in what’s inside. And what’s inside the Xbox is a absolute monster. Hellblade II looks incredible.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 8910 Posts

Yet again, Microsoft didn't do well naming a console. The person making those decisions should be let go.

In the end though, it's not the name that decides if a system is successful. It's the games, the policies, and the capabilities.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 29752 Posts

I think it’s ok and works well with what their future plans might be in releasing different versions of systems later on. It will make naming conventions easier for future systems.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 15272 Posts

@Telekill: Yeah because "Playstation" is such a great name, it sounds like a Fisher Price toy lol.

Why are people obsessing over the name, its name and looks are the MOST unimportant part of any gaming device.

Games and controller are the most important..

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Telekill

@i_p_daily: You obviously didn't read my entire post. You jumped to a conclusion after the first paragraph, took offense because you have so thin of skin you're practically transparent, and then decided to attack the direct competitor of your preferred console.

You're overly predictable.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 I_P_Daily

@Telekill said:

@i_p_daily: You obviously didn't read my entire post. You jumped to a conclusion after the first paragraph, took offense because you have so thin of skin you're practically transparent, and then decided to attack the direct competitor of your preferred console.

You're overly predictable.

Oh no I read it, and you're a cow so you're wired to think anything the competitor does is bad, I mean you want someone to be fired over the name, even though you said the name doesn't make it a success, how petty can you get?

You're not even buying it no matter the name, no matter the games or policies because you're a hardcore cow, so you're the transparent one here bud.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 45357 Posts

It's a name, I don't care about it. They could name it dildo box for all I care.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 19922 Posts

It's ok... but who cares at the end of the day.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 51611 Posts

Trash reveal throughout.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#14 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 37990 Posts

Like everything else, people would get over it just like they did for the last two gens of bad names.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 15358 Posts

Xbox One S

Xbox One X

Xbox Series S

Xbox Series X

Makes sense to my why they did it. They have also said that Series X will play a games all the way back to Xbox so the name makes sense.

Honestly, they were kind of limited on names since they went with Xbox 360. This is their attempt to fix that I guess.

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#16 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2758 Posts

Terrible. Good to confuse people. What will the slim be called... Xbox Series S? That would sound like a downgrade to the Series X even if same hardware. What if they do a stronger console update... Xbox Series XXX? lol... they have no idea what they are doing with name or design.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 25501 Posts

Not only is the name boring, it's also confusing. Also sounds like a placeholder name.

@BlackShirt20 said:

Could give a crap less.

So.. you do care?

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 I_P_Daily

So many people seem to think the name is confusing, do you people also get confused and put your right shoe on your left foot and vice versa lol

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KillzoneSnake

@i_p_daily said:

So many people seem to think the name is confusing, do you people also get confused and put your right shoe on your left foot and vice versa lol

For us it is not. But average joe who does not post at gamespot or ever look at gaming news it is. Many gamers are casuals who buy games and never even finish them. They buy a console same way, blind. They at the store and see Xbox One X and Xbox Series X and might think One X is better. It sure looks a lot better LOL they have no idea what is new gen or old gen

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 I_P_Daily

@KillzoneSnake said:
@i_p_daily said:

For us it is not. But average joe who does not post at gamespot or ever look at gaming news it is. Many gamers are casuals who buy games and never even finish them. They buy a console same way, blind. They at the store and see Xbox One X and Xbox Series X and might think One X is better. It sure looks a lot better LOL they have no idea what is new gen or old gen

The average Joe walks up to the counter and says can I get the newest Xbox out please, bam done. What's the next argument, a 99yr old granny will get confused lol.

C'mon man its not confusing except to maybe someone completely new to gaming.

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KillzoneSnake

@i_p_daily said:
@KillzoneSnake said:
@i_p_daily said:

The average Joe walks up to the counter and says can I get the newest Xbox out please, bam done. What's the next argument, a 99yr old granny will get confused lol.

Not all ask. I know someone who thought Series X and One X was the same thing just new design. He game noob wouldn't ask, just buys what he sees. Many right now dont even know the next Xbox was announced. It really does feel like Series X is part of the same generation. There is not much talk about it...

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 869 Posts

It seems like a shitty attempt at deceiving clueless parents who will get One X for their kids thinking that it's the "new" console.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 4863 Posts

@KillzoneSnake: Your scenario is laughable. "Casual" walks into a store wanting the new xbox, sees a $300 One X and a $500 Series X, shrugs and picks up a One x without asking a salesperson.

SaltSlasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SaltSlasher
Member since 2015 • 1483 Posts

What's weird is I expected some crazy weird name not anything traditional, yet, this feels crazy but traditional, like they found their forever name.

Xbox is now the official name of every Xbox, like Galaxy, Surface, Yoga, etc. just depends on which model you have, which is weird concept for consoles, but works for Xbox.

Considering MS has always had weird names in past, with this and Surface, have really hired people who at least somewhat get it. (windows 12 here we come).

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

AwesomeX. :P

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 3926 Posts

Definitely can see where some confusion might come into the equation. What would a parent buy the X £299 or an X series £500 ?

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Telekill

@i_p_daily: *rolls eyes*

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 7125 Posts

Is it a single console? What is this Microsoft's obsession with the letter X? Is it a placeholder? What was wrong with "Scarlett?" Never felt so confused this whole year.

Well, until I saw the new Street Fighter V trailer, anyway.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 I_P_Daily

@KillzoneSnake said:
@i_p_daily said:
@KillzoneSnake said:
@i_p_daily said:

Not all ask. I know someone who thought Series X and One X was the same thing just new design. He game noob wouldn't ask, just buys what he sees. Many right now dont even know the next Xbox was announced. It really does feel like Series X is part of the same generation. There is not much talk about it...

Anyone who buys what the see without doing any research is an idiot as 5mins of research would tell you everything you would need to know.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 1035 Posts

I get what they're going for with the Series X stuff. All the same, I generally prefer the recent codenames to the official model names, if only for clarity's sake. It would be helpful to be able to search for next-gen news without Google turning up a ton of results for the current gen consoles.

avenger85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 avenger85
Member since 2015 • 290 Posts

It’s a stupid name.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 9966 Posts

I think it's on par with the Wii U in terms of being a terrible name for a console.

floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 floppydics
Member since 2014 • 169 Posts

It's a very corporate name with no personality whatsoever, I preferred both Scarlett and Scorpio. It sounds like a GPU upgrade. But hey it's probably more imaginative than 'PlayStation 5' eh.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 643 Posts

series x

Sounds good

But if a name has got you all upset then a good cure is to place your hands firmly on your Heads temple area and begin to shake Vigorously,after a few second of shaking your head your good to go.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4149 Posts

No one cares about last place consoles, so the name is irrelevant. We all know that the mighty Playstation 5 is going to be THE greatest next gen console, so the XFLOP name is irrelevant.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 2940 Posts

its ok.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 6017 Posts

It's fine.

Not as bad as naming your system Xbox One when there's already a legacy product people refer to as Xbox 1.

Not as bad as Intel's new CPU SKUs.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#38 Star67
Member since 2005 • 4579 Posts

@navyguy21 said:

Xbox One S

Xbox One X

Xbox Series S

Xbox Series X

Makes sense to my why they did it. They have also said that Series X will play a games all the way back to Xbox so the name makes sense.

Honestly, they were kind of limited on names since they went with Xbox 360. This is their attempt to fix that I guess.

what if the "Series X" is just that model? Maybe they are planning on releasing new iterations of "series z; series m; series y etc"

Maybe Series X does BC everything back to original Xbox.

Series Z just does Xbox One BC

Series Y has no BC

Just my guess for why it's named this way

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 6310 Posts

Pretty bad name, but thats on par with all their other systems names minus the original Xbox.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 4658 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

I think it's on par with the Wii U in terms of being a terrible name for a console.

Agreed. It's just as bad as the Wii U.

I wasn't even sure ti was their new (next gen) console when watching the reveal. I had to do research to confirm it was. If I'm confused, the more general gaming public will be thrown for a loop, too.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By sealionact

@shellcase86: When you were watching the reveal for the Xbox series x, which reveal did you think you were watching....Dyson's newest vacuum cleaner? E-Z bake apple pie?

Which research did you do....watch the reveal?

I mean, I love a laugh as much as the next guy...but don't make me laugh.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 sealionact

@mclarenmaster18: I think it's a good sign, that the main thing that seems to have cows and hermits up in arms is the name.

Coincidentally, if people are apparently unable to buy the "Xbox series X" because the name is too complicated, then how in the hell does anybody buy a PC?

Daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 2226 Posts

I think it sounds stupid, but the console itself seems pretty impressive.

phbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#44 phbz
Member since 2009 • 5313 Posts

The name is so bad that several outlets I follow on YouTube their initial reaction was that this was a new One X. But the console looks great.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 4408 Posts

Major blunder... and it will cost them

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#46 narlymech
Member since 2009 • 1788 Posts

I just wonder what the fascination with all the X's is in the first place. Is X supposed to be a cool letter? Are they planning to add X-rated content?

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2213 Posts

@navyguy21: I think it's just all Xbox one games, xbox 360/og Xbox only if the BC Team worked on it.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 55193 Posts

@sealionact: Home-built gaming PC or pre-built?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#49 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 11589 Posts

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 sealionact

@lundy86_4: Whoa.....more choices? Madness!