freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Like pic related. He spawns along with two dogs. Minions. Not a one versus one battle. But a battle in which your main opponent is accompanied by smaller, weaker enemies. Capra Demon came to mind, so I posted him. I honestly dislike it. It feels like I'm going down a to-do list.

1. Kill dogs.
2. Drop attack Capra

But Platinum and the likes of Capcom have fully embraced the idea of 1 versus 1. Your skills versus that of the AI. And I'd love to say that to measure you true skill against these 1v1 battles, is to play on higher difficulties. One that comes to mind is DMC3. DMC3 again? Yes, it's good. And the Virgil boss battles. It's quite literally you versus him. And he grows throughout the game. And on higher difficulties, he pulls more motivated shit.

And it's because of the intensity of 1v1, that I prefer it. There's less bullshit going on. And despite being just one enemy, you gotta be more focused. The enemy in front of you is more capable than a couple of dogs or whatever Dark Souls 3 had going on with that musou-styled boss.

And Bayonetta is also great with this. Same way. Focus. Learn. Defeat. I wear my fedora high and proud.

But seriously though, what do you prefer? Some small fellas to help kick your ass or a pure One Versus One battle to determine trueueuee skill?

Let me know.

1v1, c'mon, now. I will bitch slap your ass to baghdad if you disagree.

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

1 on 1 all the way can't stand minion bosses.

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

Historically, I hate HATE minion bosses, but there have been some that I think have been implemented well. Nevertheless, I certainly don't prefer them.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

I've never liked a boss with ads outside of the Omega Pirate in Metroid Prime, and yeah I guess Metroid Prime. I want the boss to be able to hold its own, when they have allies, it sort of takes away from how intimidating that boss is. Like Alma in Ninja Gaiden didn't need anyone, she was just a stone cold bitch.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

Depends on implementation and mechanics obviously. WoW has tons of bosses with add mechanics, but the game is designed for a large amount of players, so usually they fit into the main fight just fine. Most isometric RPG's have a few boss fights with minions, and having a 4-6 means it gives you more to do than tunnel the boss. Divinity Original Sin's last boss is a clusterfuck of adds and mechanics but I found it reasonably enjoyable. Baldur's Gate 2 has a really good last boss where you have to get a handle on several powerful demons very early or you will die, but having a party of 6 makes it manageable.

In solo action games like Dark Souls, I find a lot of the fights with minions are annoying but not that bad. It's mostly the camera that gets in the way, like handling the babby spiders in the Freja fight in DS2, or the million mobs jumping from offscreen in Rom. The worst experience I've had with that is in the Ninja Gaiden games, where adds are lumped into hard mode and serve to make the fights far more frustrating than genuinely challenging. I still haven't beaten Alma version 2 in NGB on hard, and I probably never will, because of this reason. It's not hard because the mechanics are pushing you to the limit, it's hard because it's actually impossible to watch for the minions and the boss at the same time and you basically just have to hope there's no crazy windup 1 shot going on offscreen. Comes down to being bullshit lucky over and over for about 5 solid minutes.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#6 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69444 Posts

I hate minions in a boss fight. Most of the time the implementation cheapens the difficulty because its simply challenges your patients than your skill to fight the boss.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Banana

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Minions are most often an annoyance than anything else.

Rom the Vacuous Spider is the worst boss fight in Bloodborne as a result.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

For solo its a no go. If playing in co-op, minion bosses are great.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#10 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

Not System Wars material.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#11 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58928 Posts

Dongorongo in Phantom Hour Glass forcing the player to either constantly switch between characters or use a single character to mitigate minion spawns, on paper sounds annoying as hell, but it's pretty fun.

In the Arkham games using the larger enemies as a raging blind bull to take out the lesser droogs can also be pretty fun.

As with pretty much anything in games it comes down to how well designed it is, if it's the Witcher 3 it's probably going to be shit.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

I hate Capra, but I think Abyss Watchers is a great fight as is O&S in Dark Souls, so it pretty much boils down to the execution of the encounter, I hate most of the minion bosses but I think there are some great ones out there as well.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

Depends. Some of Ys bosses make minions more than just annoyances. They actually make the bos battle more puzzle-y.

But if they are just annoyances, then I don't like them.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Depends on if the encounter is built around the boss more than anything.

Boss fights suck hard in strategy games. A single overpowered unit to try to take down is seldomly tactical or fun.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Variety is fun. Minion fights require different strategies, so I don't mind them being mixed in. Sometimes it's best to get the big guy first (like if he heal, regenerates the minions), sometimes the minions. Sometimes the minions can be a way to load up on resources. There could also be a mixture of different minions ofc.

In short, mix it up developers!

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

Makes games harder so I like them as long as they are not super cheap.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#17 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

1v1 is the way to go. The minions are just an annoyance that you need to get rid of before you can actually start the fight

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I like the variety. Keeps you on your toes.

And how about that late game Dark Souls where you come across several Capras/Taurus at once? The boss becomes the minion.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

It depends on the game and combat system, really.

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 PopGotcha
Member since 2016 • 716 Posts

1v1 Rust you lil' bitch

Hate minions. Such a cheap cop out

Avatar image for smearygoose1768
SmearyGoose1768

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SmearyGoose1768
Member since 2016 • 297 Posts

I actually love them it gives more life to the game than only boss battles. I like to fight tough enemies that aren't bosses, gives it more authencity to the world and game.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

capra is actually a great boss fight thanks to the addition of the two dogs. without them the fight would be a total joke. but because they're there you watch his attacks and the dogs' attacks while waiting for an opportunity to kill off the dogs before you go ham.

@Juub1990 said:

Minions are most often an annoyance than anything else.

Rom the Vacuous Spider is the worst boss fight in Bloodborne as a result.

disagree. rom is not only different from most of the other bosses but it's also very rewarding in that it allows for a lot of different strategies. as far as minion bosses go i think witch of hemwick is one of the weakest boss fights in the game because it's so easy and you're basically going against standard enemies. celestial emissary is also pretty bad.