Your most disappointing game this gen so far?

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

So, whats the game you were mad hyped about but ended up being a disappointment in the end?

Mine is Hotline Miami 2. Seriously, its like this game just grabbed all the bad things the 1st one had and made a whole game out of them. Loved the 1st one to bits but this one... is just bad in comparison. The 1st HM was hard, but fair. HM2 is just hard for the sake of being hard, and its hard for all the wrong reasons. They just put a lot more enemies in a map full of long corridors where you cant see shit cause the camera doesnt reach the end of the hall and puts guys shooting you from afar. It crosses that fine line between hard but fun and frustrating and un-fun because of it. The soundtrack was also weak. If I liked 2 songs out of the whole roster it was too much. But the worst of all was the convoluted story. HM had a minimalistic but intriguing story, HM2 story is more flashed out but ends up being boring. It was just... bad, really really bad.

If HM3 ends up happening they should just scrap everything out of HM2 and start a new, hopefully inspiring themselves more on HM1

yours?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Easily Arkham Knight. That game was fucking terrible.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Infamous Second Son. Didn't even finish it.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Toy Soldiers War Chest. Looks and plays exactly the same as the previous one (4 years ago, on last gen), except LESS turrets, LESS content, ridiculous load times and masses of DLC and microtransactions for core parts of the game. 50% of the armies are DLC, and to get the full game costs 30!

Absolute rubbish.

UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts

I say Arkham Knight or MGSV or Witcher 3

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

MGSV, easily.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#7 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Super Mario 3D Land

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

The game is good, but wtf is up with the content of Mario Tennis Ultra Smash. Super solid gameplay but it doesn't even have a single player from what I see. Is this what Street Fighter 5 is like?

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#9 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Thief 2014,,, and it's not even close. Terrible story, flat performances, Robin Hood Garrett, generic villains, no sound propagation system, messed up audio, disco soundtracks, QTEs, mindless setpieces, linear level design, radar map, detective vision, kill cams, hand holding, boss fights, no jumping, dumbed down rope arrow, loading zones, checkpoint based gameplay, giant UI, over use of post processing and so on.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Thief

@Cloud_imperium said:

Thief 2014,,, and it's not even close. Terrible story, flat performances, Robin Hood Garrett, generic villains, no sound propagation system, messed up audio, disco soundtracks, QTEs, mindless setpieces, linear level design, radar map, detective vision, kill cams, hand holding, boss fights, no jumping, dumbed down rope arrow, loading zones, checkpoint based gameplay, giant UI, over use of post processing and so on.

Now i wonder how the hell did i finish the game lol

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Quantum break. Really looking forward to that trash.

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts

Arkham Knight, that fricking bat mobile totally ruined the game for me.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#13 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@mjorh said:

Thief

@Cloud_imperium said:

Now i wonder how the hell did i finish the game lol

Comparison (Spoilers)

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#14 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Batman Arkham Knight and Assassin's Creed Unity

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41526 Posts

Super Smash Bros. 4. Don't get me wrong, it's still a fun brawler, but with less content than Brawl (especially on the single player front) and DLC (at least with one character, the more I think about it, not really with two like I initially thought) that ended up insulting you to the point of Sakurai victimizing himself by comparing himself to George Lucas (unlike say his partners at Namco Bandai, who actually took their criticism like adults with Soul Calibur, replacing the Jedi/Sith in IV with Ezio in V). I hardly find much reason to replay it.

It is TWILIGHT PRINCESS level of disappointing. Mortal Kombat 9 was more replayable, and I got on that game from being less replayable than Tekken 6 and Tag 2.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

I can't really say any have disappointed me. All the games I have been hyped for ended up being at the very least, very good. The only game I'm really hyped for this year is Cuphead though. If that game is bad I'll be crushed.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Divinity: OS

I like my RPG's to be atleast somewhat serious, but DOS was like an episode of Monty Python. And it had that bag within bag within bag inventory system from the 90's. Ugh.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Primorandomguy

@charizard1605: @mems_1224: I know for a lot of people the Batmobile ruined the game. I can't agree to that, I enjoyed the sections pretty well. But

What really hurt AK to me was how it seemed to me the final 3rd of the game or so seemed to drag and it got so repetitive to me. I absolutely loved the first 2/3 of the game though. I guess it ended up being ok but I have no interest to buy the DLC or even go through NG+. I should say though that some mixed reviews and people's comments on here hurt the hype for me though, and I didn't even buy it and beat it till the beginning of this year.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

MGSV, man did that game become a drag(grind) after the few first hours when the honeymoon ended. Not to mention how the story is terrible and they didn't even bother to finish it and place their intended ending into the game.

Jagoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 Jagoff
Member since 2016 • 515 Posts

Dark Souls 2. That game is just trash.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@primorandomguy said:

@charizard1605: @mems_1224: I know for a lot of people the Batmobile ruined the game. I can't agree to that, I enjoyed the sections pretty well. But

What really hurt AK to me was how it seemed to me the final 3rd of the game or so seemed to drag and it got so repetitive to me. I absolutely loved the first 2/3 of the game though. I guess it ended up being ok but I have no interest to buy the DLC or even go through NG+. I should say though that some mixed reviews and people's comments on here hurt the hype for me though, and I didn't even buy it and beat it till the beginning of this year.

The Batmobile was definitely a problem- I'm not going to say it wasn't cool, because it was. The problem, though, was that I didn't have the choice to not use it- I was using it whether I liked it or not. Shoehorning the damn thing into pointless tank battle sequences (so many tank battle sequences), race sequences (why are they even in a Batman game?), Batmobile boss battles (I mean, I guess it was cool the first time...), and Batmobile stealth sequences (were they even paying attention to how dumb that sounds when they were planning that?) ruined the thing for me and left a sour taste in my mouth.

Then there is the fact that the entire game suffers from the worst of the Ubisoft open world game design syndrome- just barf all sorts of icons and inane filler sidequests on to my map, stupid repetitive shit that has nothing to do with anything, and keep making me go through the fucking motions, over and over and over again. The fact that they locked the true ending behind all of that shit is inexcusable. It permanently puts the game in my shitlist.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Batman: Arkham Knight is a big one. I wasn't all too upset with the Batmobile, but it was a culmination of other problems in the game that led to my overall disappointment.

Destiny should have so much been better. The Taken King has added longevity and made helped the game, but didn't elevate it in any substantial way.

Halo 5: Guardians, on the singleplayer front, ended up disappointing me a bunch since I had high hopes after the campaign from Halo 4; the gameplay itself is incredibly tight though and I love it for that.

Dragon Age: Inquisition was just a sloppy, overly-large mess that made me realize I really don't care about that universe or the characters.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor, but that was because I was attempting to clear out the first area thinking that was the only area, so when I made it to the second area and was actually getting more abilities I was checked out.

Fallout 4: Completely forgot about this one. So much hype surrounding it, and I should have known I wouldn't care for it after not enjoying Fallout 3. But all the praise about it being streamlined and all that jazz, and I thought maybe after Skyrim I'd be all for the next Fallout. Nope. It felt uninspired and "phoned in."

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Primorandomguy

@charizard1605: Oh don't get me wrong making the Batmobile forced upon you was just a bad decision, I'm not defending it. I was just lucky enough to not be bothered by it. For the side quests, yeah they were unrelated to the main story, it felt disjointed, but I enjoyed a lot of it, but when I talk about the repetitive problem, some of the side quests succumb to that. But now that I'm thinking about it good god the story was so disjointed and if i could do spoiler tags I would go in greater detail, but I digress. And thank you for reminding me but yes! Hiding the true ending behind the side quests, especially all the riddler trophies.... Fucking awful. Put a shit taste in my mouth too.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

The answer is Watch Dogs.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#25 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Shadow of Mordor and Dragon Age Inquisition. Played about 2 hours of each. Very rarely this happens to me, not being able to keep playing a game.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60702 Posts

Arkham Knight

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

QB. Lems hyped the crap out of that trash.

Avatar image for deactivated-58319077a6477
deactivated-58319077a6477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-58319077a6477
Member since 2007 • 4954 Posts

I have to say MGSV. gameplay wise it is the best in the series, story wise not the best. the map is empty and you have SU troop patrolling an empty land with no Resistant fighters makes the game dull, MGS4 had rebels fighting PMCs in the first two acts why not add this feature. the side ops get repetitive as well, they could have focused on the main missions, hell some of the main missions are not related to the story and are just warming mission for Snake like Kaz says.

anyway I enjoyed it, was expecting it to become my favorite in the series but MGS3 is still the game for me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@primorandomguy said:

@charizard1605: Oh don't get me wrong making the Batmobile forced upon you was just a bad decision, I'm not defending it. I was just lucky enough to not be bothered by it. For the side quests, yeah they were unrelated to the main story, it felt disjointed, but I enjoyed a lot of it, but when I talk about the repetitive problem, some of the side quests succumb to that. But now that I'm thinking about it good god the story was so disjointed and if i could do spoiler tags I would go in greater detail, but I digress. And thank you for reminding me but yes! Hiding the true ending behind the side quests, especially all the riddler trophies.... Fucking awful. Put a shit taste in my mouth too.

Yeah man, definitely. The problem is the game definitely had some cool portions- they were just diluted so much by all the nonsense in the middle that all that remains is the nonsense, and not the good parts themselves lol. But yeah, some people definitely enjoyed it more than I did- I'm actually glad they did haha, and I wish I could have too. Arkham Knight was not a bad game- just a step down, was my problem.

About the story, there were definitely issues. The Arkham Knight arc is pointless, the reveal is predictable and anyone could have seen it coming, there were too many primary villains stuffed into the story, between Scarecrow, Arkham Knight, and the Joker, and yeah, the thing was disjointed as hell, like you said- probably because of the open world non linear structure.

It's a shame, definitely- the game could have been great. I sort of wish they had stuck to the Arkham Asylum template myself, but hey, what can you do, right?

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

It makes me sad to see so many mention Batman Arkham Knight. That game is so many leagues ahead of almost any other action adventure on the market much like Arkham City was before it. Very few games are smarter designed, have as strong mechanics, have side quests of this quality or contain even close to as much content. It was a masterful game through and through in my books.

My biggest disappointment would probably be Mario Kart 8 honestly. There was all this talk of fixing the item balance by having a defense agains the blue shell, but by adding in the heavy chance of reeiving a coin in 1tst place, the balance of the game was actually made much worse than previous Mario Karts. The blue shell has to go. There's really no defense for that item and the the people leading the pack nead to have at least a somewhat consistent way to protect themselves. As it stands, the game feels pretty broken.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44540 Posts

Jeez, lot of ya'll just hate fun.

MGSV? Too much gameplay, not enough cutscene? The Witcher 3? What, you were under the assumption the other games were good all this time? Arkham Knight? And that was actually fun, I've a feeling if the PC port launched smoothly all this AK baloney would have never gained traction; Arkham City was a far more disappointing title in how it pretty much skirted story all together. Dark Souls II, now this I really don't get, I finally played it with the Scholar of First Sin edition and I absolutely loved it just about as much as DS3. Don't know what people are smoking.

As for Dragon Age Inquisition... I really didn't like it, then again I hated Origins too so I was neither disappointed or surprised so scratch that.

Hmm, having a hard time thinking about what I've been disappointed in. I'm disappointed Fatal Frame V or Heavy Rain / Beyond: Two Souls collection never made it to disc in North America. I'm disappointed people seem to shit on good games sometimes because that just seems to be a trendy thing people do and never let up on. For instance, never understood the Alien Isolation hate, as a fan of the franchise this game was the tits, but I've heard people complain about backtracking and repetitive gameplay... well, shocked, it is in the Metroidvania kind of way, those games get celebrated for it, here it's optional. People shit on that and praise indie walking simulators, it's baffling. If anything disappoints me most it's my fellow gamers.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3045 Posts

Fallout 4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Wait, yes, I forgot Fallout 4. Scratch everything else I said, Fallout 4 is my biggest disappointment of the generation so far. Jesus Christ Bethesda.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#34 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41526 Posts

Anybody else hate the "you must hate fun" posts?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#35  Edited By Ghosts4ever  Online
Member since 2015 • 24896 Posts

I was not expecting MGS5 to be this boring, bland and dull but never hype for it

Witcher 3 by far. i was really looking forward to it after great witcher 2 turn out this game become very boring towards mid, shallow story and characters and boring dialouges, worst combat in history,

Game is chore to play.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 thepclovingguy
Member since 2016 • 2059 Posts

Star wars Battlefront EA

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Arkham Knight, Fallout 4 and Battlefront

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@jagoff: it's last gen, and I think it's good.

Thief 2014 was the most disappointing for me.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@jagoff said:

Dark Souls 2. That game is just trash.

It wasn't trash lol just different from the others in the series. Soul Memory WAS trash, tho. On topic, Destiny is by faaaaaar the biggest disappointment ever.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#40 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69358 Posts

Halo 5

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

Mario Kart 8

Mario Kart Wii had screwed up battle mode by removing the last man standing free-for-all, so I was hoping that Mario Kart 8 would correct this and finally give me what I have wanted for so many years, a great Mario Kart battle mode on par with Mario Kart 64 that I can play online. Well, Nintendo did at least give us back free-for-all battle, but they somehow managed to make battle mode even worse by being lazy and just reusing racing tracks instead of creating some good battle arenas for the game.

Then I was hopeful that Nintendo would obviously fix what is by far the biggest criticism that the game has received with the DLC packs that they were planning, but nope, Nintendo did not give us one single battle arena in the DLC packs.

Battle mode should not be treated like an afterthought like it has been treated by Nintendo in Mario Kart 8 because when done correctly, battle mode can be just as fun or even more fun (see Mario Kart 64) than the racing mode.

Besides the battle mode, I even also found the racing somewhat disappointing due to the terrible item balance, poor character roster, reduced punishment for falling off a track, and I felt the tracks overall were inferior to the tracks in Mario Kart Wii.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Thief reboot.

Definition of boring as ****.

Avatar image for deactivated-57adcc01ab2b1
deactivated-57adcc01ab2b1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-57adcc01ab2b1
Member since 2016 • 329 Posts

So many Arkham Knight nominations and I just bought it for PS4 -_-

As for me it'd definitely have to be Final Fantasy Type-0; I wanted that game so badly for years and it turns out to be so so awful.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Easily Arkham Knight. Even with the warning signs it still ended up worse then I can imagine.

Way...

Too...

Much...

Batmobile

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18792 Posts

Wow alot of MGS5 and Arkham Knight votes.

Arkham Knight- I was fresh of just beating Arkham City when I grabbed AK for $20 at GameStop. I agree with people that the Batmobile was not used right during missions. But it shouldn't have ruined the game.

MGS5- Overall I'm enjoying it but it's definitely flawed. The Afghanistan map is awful and just a big boring Rock. Africa map is a little better but still a empty wasteland. It's seems all I'm doing is extracting people, some variety would be nice.

@Star650:"I have to say MGSV. gameplay wise it is the best in the series, story wise not the best. "

So it's story over gameplay for you?

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

The Order

Destiny

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2310 Posts

Arkham Knight

Destiny

Watch Dogs

Dragon Age Inquisition

Thief

Battlefront

Halo 5

Dark Souls 2

MGS5: good game but no story

Jagoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jagoff
Member since 2016 • 515 Posts

@thehig1 said:

@jagoff: it's last gen, and I think it's good.

Thief 2014 was the most disappointing for me.

It released in 2014 when all three current gen systems were released. I'd say it qualifies.

@silversix_ said:

It wasn't trash lol just different from the others in the series. Soul Memory WAS trash, tho. On topic, Destiny is by faaaaaar the biggest disappointment ever.

It was different for the sake of being different, which was the problem. The game is riddled with very baffling design choices which contradict the core of what the series has been about. It's unbalanced, disjointed and thoroughly unenjoyable.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#49  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58836 Posts

Witcher 3 was clearly a hack, sellout console port.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@Zassimick said:

Batman: Arkham Knight is a big one. I wasn't all too upset with the Batmobile, but it was a culmination of other problems in the game that led to my overall disappointment.

Destiny should have so much been better. The Taken King has added longevity and made helped the game, but didn't elevate it in any substantial way.

Halo 5: Guardians, on the singleplayer front, ended up disappointing me a bunch since I had high hopes after the campaign from Halo 4; the gameplay itself is incredibly tight though and I love it for that.

Dragon Age: Inquisition was just a sloppy, overly-large mess that made me realize I really don't care about that universe or the characters.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor, but that was because I was attempting to clear out the first area thinking that was the only area, so when I made it to the second area and was actually getting more abilities I was checked out.

Fallout 4: Completely forgot about this one. So much hype surrounding it, and I should have known I wouldn't care for it after not enjoying Fallout 3. But all the praise about it being streamlined and all that jazz, and I thought maybe after Skyrim I'd be all for the next Fallout. Nope. It felt uninspired and "phoned in."

I totally forgot about FO4 that's how forgettable it is. The hideous engine is so old you can use Morrowind's mod tools in the PC version. That wouldn't have been that much of a problem if the story had been worth two turtle shits.

As for DAI, I never played it. I got so sick of Bioware's SJW agenda.