Your greatest gaming moment ever experienced?

• 126 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

When I first played Oblivion and went outside, wow I was floored. Seeing all those mountains, rolliing green hills, rivers and forests etc....it was breathtaking. Sure the graphics are nothing now, but back then they were amazing. I felt like I was playing something truly epic. It felt so real with trees swaying in the breeze, sunlight shining across the world and casting shadows, it was truly something special.

What is yours?

#2 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

*Your.

And playing Resident Evil 4 for the first time when it came out.

#3 Posted by MonsieurX (35950 posts) -
Killing Diablo for the first time
#4 Posted by yellosnolvr (19302 posts) -
first round of bf2142 (first game i played when i got an actual gaming pc). it was titan mode, full server, on minsk.
#5 Posted by Microsoft1234 (7683 posts) -
when you first reach hyrule field back in the day on the 64 in OOT. that was amazing back then.
#6 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8531 posts) -

When moving to PC gaming.

Whoa, no jaggies. Whoa, high resolution display and textures. Whoa, 60fps. The list just goes on, on and on.

#7 Posted by freedomfreak (49202 posts) -
I have a lot. I'll go with something recent. Fighting the Balrog in Lego Lotr.
#8 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

*Your.

And playing Resident Evil 4 for the first time when it came out.

Michael0134567

Ah yes how silly of me. Thanks.

#9 Posted by BPoole96 (22817 posts) -
Completing Jewel Master on Genesis earlier this year. My entire childhood I could never beat the final boss despite is being one of y favorite games. I was about 5 or 6 when I was trying to beat it but never could and eventually have up. Nearly 20 years later, I got it for PC and was able to beat it. It was a pretty surreal moment for me.
#10 Posted by sonic1564 (3265 posts) -

Whoa, no jaggies. Whoa, high resolution display and textures. Whoa, 60fps. The list just goes on, on and on.

GamerwillzPS

The calf in denial strikes again.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
#11 Posted by princeofshapeir (16483 posts) -
The first time I played WoW back in 2005
#12 Posted by T_0_D (1128 posts) -

Single player: Buying and beating the Chinese version of Demon's Souls before it was released in the US. It was super hard because of all the black phantom's that kept hunting me because I was a new player.

Multi player: Playing Gears 3 with some friends early on and getting the torque bow kill where you get a head shot and hit the guy behind and kill him too. I was on dry dock and it was 2v1. It ended the match and one of my friends captured it and sent it to me. When it happened I was like wtf just happened? Ha!

#13 Posted by 1080pOnly (2206 posts) -

The first time I played WoW back in 2005 princeofshapeir

Strangely this was one for me also, no sarcasm. Actually the first time I played EQ and realised the potential it had and where this could take gaming was probably even bigger.

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
#14 Posted by Obviously_Right (5331 posts) -

The first time I played WoW back in 2005 princeofshapeir

lol

#15 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"]The first time I played WoW back in 2005 1080pOnly

Strangely this was one for me also, no sarcasm. Actually the first time I played EQ and realised the potential it had and where this could take gaming was probably even bigger.

I never saw the appeal in that game much honestly. What made it so great for you?

#16 Posted by jg4xchamp (59951 posts) -

Beating Ninja Gaiden Black on Master Ninja

NEVER AGAIN!!

#17 Posted by TheEroica (16754 posts) -

The revelation in KOTOR... nothing before it or since has come close.

#18 Posted by faizan_faizan (7869 posts) -

When i first played GTA VC, I knew Open World genre is the next big thing in gaming, And i stood corrected.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
#19 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (44551 posts) -
How many topics do you make in a day? lol
#20 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

How many topics do you make in a day? lolStevo_the_gamer

Just 1 today lol.

#21 Posted by Blabadon (33030 posts) -
Every f*cking moment of Shadow of the Colossus. Halo 3 MP, when we were having a LAN party and I deployed a shield with one kill left right before a buddy could hit me with a rocket. Got him with my shotty and won. The Berserkers in Gears 1 are so f*cking fun and the Junker level in co-op was balls out amazing. Uncharted 2 in the ice cave when that "rock" takes up most of your screen
#22 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

TheEroica

Oh ya that was amazing, I would argue that BioShock came close.

#23 Posted by princeofshapeir (16483 posts) -

[QUOTE="1080pOnly"]

[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"]The first time I played WoW back in 2005 ShadowMoses900

I never saw the appeal in that game much honestly. What made it so great for you?

The combat was fast-paced compared to other MMOs. The world was enormous at the time and there were no loading screens besides your initial log-in and zoning into instances or across continents (that has since changed due to the ever-increasing size of the game). The sense of atmosphere was unparalleled for any online RPG at the time. It was thrilling to be adventuring out in the world and encountering friendly players and enemy players alike. It was also great to see the Warcraft lore move into MMO territory seamlessly. It just streamlined the nuisances and trimmed back the excess fat that held back other MMOs while delivering a crowd-pleasing experience.
#24 Posted by BlbecekBobecek (2885 posts) -

Whoa, tough one! Top three from top of my head:

1) One of those great games I had with my team on a DotA tournament, that didnt go well until I got Battle Fury and Cranium Basher on my Magina and scored a tide-turning triple kill.

2) Finishing warlock epic mount quest in WoW.

3) The Lucifer fight in Descent: Freespace.

Honorable mention: Playing Warioware Smooth Moves completely stoned. :D

Nice thread idea btw.

#25 Posted by TheEroica (16754 posts) -

[QUOTE="TheEroica"]

ShadowMoses900

It was in the same vein yeah... BioShock had an excellent twist. I felt the one in KOTOR was just so organic, where it was just hanging out there the whole game and it never passed your mind, where Bioshock was a more manufactured moment of awesome...
#26 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

[QUOTE="1080pOnly"]

princeofshapeir

The combat was fast-paced compared to other MMOs. The world was enormous at the time and there were no loading screens besides your initial log-in and zoning into instances or across continents (that has since changed due to the ever-increasing size of the game). The sense of atmosphere was unparalleled for any online RPG at the time. It was thrilling to be adventuring out in the world and encountering friendly players and enemy players alike. It was also great to see the Warcraft lore move into MMO territory seamlessly. It just streamlined the nuisances and trimmed back the excess fat that held back other MMOs while delivering a crowd-pleasing experience.

I only played a short week trial and lost interest in it, I guess I'm just not a MMO guy. The combat was dull to me with it's point and click experience, but I suppose for MMO veterans it was an improvement over past games in that genre. The world was massive no doubt, but I got more out of Oblivion's world, it wasn't as big but it had more depth to it. In WOW it just seemed like a big puddle, it's large but not really much to do in it. For instance in Oblivion if you see a house out in the woods you can go in it and explore it and probably find some kind of quest, in WOW the house in the woods would just be scenery and serve no purpose.

This is just my take on it anyway.

#27 Posted by heeweesRus (5492 posts) -

[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"][QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

ShadowMoses900

I only played a short week trial and lost interest in it, I guess I'm just not a MMO guy. The combat was dull to me with it's point and click experience, but I suppose for MMO veterans it was an improvement over past games in that genre. The world was massive no doubt, but I got more out of Oblivion's world, it wasn't as big but it had more depth to it. In WOW it just seemed like a big puddle, it's large but not really much to do in it. For instance in Oblivion if you see a house out in the woods you can go in it and explore it and probably find some kind of quest, in WOW the house in the woods would just be scenery and serve no purpose.

WoW isnt a game
#28 Posted by MonsieurX (35950 posts) -

ShadowMoses900

Oblivion...dept?:lol: Copy and past caverns and such everywhere
#29 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Knights of the Old Republic was a good one, as was The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay. That was a good year in 2004. Back when BioWare still made good RPGs and shooters with stealth were considered the best the genre had to offer. Note: I played both these games in that year. I realize the former did not release then. Though Sith Lords was amazing too.
#30 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

[QUOTE="TheEroica"]

TheEroica

It was in the same vein yeah... BioShock had an excellent twist. I felt the one in KOTOR was just so organic, where it was just hanging out there the whole game and it never passed your mind, where Bioshock was a more manufactured moment of awesome...

I would also say RDR, when I first played that game I was in love. I rode my horse across the field and then I hit the cliff and saw the desert and my jaw hit the floor, it was amazing. I knew that this game was going to keep me busy for a LONG time lol.

Though the online wasn't very good IMO. It felt so empty....

#31 Posted by BlbecekBobecek (2885 posts) -

GamerwillzPS

You are new to PC gaming I guess. Trust me its not just about resolution and fps. I was gaming on PC when there were tons of jaggies and only 16 colors and it was just as great as it is today - maybe even better in some aspects.

prince-of-persia.gif

#32 Posted by princeofshapeir (16483 posts) -

ShadowMoses900

It's unfair to set an exploration standard for a 2006 single-player game onto a 2004 MMORPG, ignoring the fact that Oblivion really is very shallow by modern standards.
#33 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"] The combat was fast-paced compared to other MMOs. The world was enormous at the time and there were no loading screens besides your initial log-in and zoning into instances or across continents (that has since changed due to the ever-increasing size of the game). The sense of atmosphere was unparalleled for any online RPG at the time. It was thrilling to be adventuring out in the world and encountering friendly players and enemy players alike. It was also great to see the Warcraft lore move into MMO territory seamlessly. It just streamlined the nuisances and trimmed back the excess fat that held back other MMOs while delivering a crowd-pleasing experience. princeofshapeir

It's unfair to set an exploration standard for a 2006 single-player game onto a 2004 MMORPG, ignoring the fact that Oblivion really is very shallow by modern standards.

Not really, back then I was a kid in school and it was always "Oblivion vs WOW", I was the Oblivion kid, they were all WOW kids and would always make fun of me. Oblivion did have some issues looking back, the dungeons were too reptitive but overall the game is a masterpiece, back then nothing came close to it, not even WOW.

#34 Posted by Comduter (2313 posts) -

When I got my NES for my Christmas 22 years ago. It was my first video game console.

#35 Posted by WaterSphere (203 posts) -
I have some great memories from the original Everquest 1. Just grouping up with the same people all over the place was some nice memories.
#36 Posted by Clock-w0rk (3378 posts) -
  • restoring Norun village in Dark Cloud 1
  • revisiting Shadow Moses in MGS4
  • All of FFX
#37 Posted by psymon100 (6835 posts) -

I can't remember exactly, but, I think it would have been on the Commodore 64. Best system ever.

#38 Posted by hippiesanta (10292 posts) -
Every chapter in Heavy Rain
#39 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

Walking through the world of Morrowind/Oblivion. F*ck those games are beautiful.

Notable Moments:

• My first house/cave/world in Minecraft.
  • So far everytime I play Planetside 2 (it just still amazes me the size and scale of the world as well as the gameplay).
  • My families in the Sims 3 and the stories I made of them
  • The ending of Arkham City (so many questions still left unanswered).
  • Shooting the portal at the moon in Portal 2.
  • Reflecting on all the good times I had during the credits in Saints Row the Third.
#40 Posted by princeofshapeir (16483 posts) -

ShadowMoses900

Not really, back then I was a kid in school and it was always "Oblivion vs WOW", I was the Oblivion kid, they were all WOW kids and would always make fun of me. Oblivion did have some issues looking back, the dungeons were too reptitive but overall the game is a masterpiece, back then nothing came close to it, not even WOW.

If you honestly think a single-player game and an MMORPG should both be held to the same standards you're pretty dumb.

I'm not even going to bother explaining why WoW has far more content than Oblivion could ever hope to have.

#41 Posted by -Unreal- (24650 posts) -

Probably exploring some of the areas in WoW. Moving through the zones and seeing huge landmarks. Some of the large scale fights too and the opening of the Dark Portal was fun.

#42 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

Every f*cking moment of Shadow of the Colossus. Halo 3 MP, when we were having a LAN party and I deployed a shield with one kill left right before a buddy could hit me with a rocket. Got him with my shotty and won. The Berserkers in Gears 1 are so f*cking fun and the Junker level in co-op was balls out amazing. Uncharted 2 in the ice cave when that "rock" takes up most of your screenBlabadon

Dat ending. There were manly tears.

#43 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"] It's unfair to set an exploration standard for a 2006 single-player game onto a 2004 MMORPG, ignoring the fact that Oblivion really is very shallow by modern standards. princeofshapeir

If you honestly think a single-player game and an MMORPG should both be held to the same standards you're pretty dumb.

Obviously you missed the point again.

#44 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"] The combat was fast-paced compared to other MMOs. The world was enormous at the time and there were no loading screens besides your initial log-in and zoning into instances or across continents (that has since changed due to the ever-increasing size of the game). The sense of atmosphere was unparalleled for any online RPG at the time. It was thrilling to be adventuring out in the world and encountering friendly players and enemy players alike. It was also great to see the Warcraft lore move into MMO territory seamlessly. It just streamlined the nuisances and trimmed back the excess fat that held back other MMOs while delivering a crowd-pleasing experience. MonsieurX

So did Morrowind and Daggerfall.

#45 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"][QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

Goyoshi12

Not as much as Oblivion, Daggerfall just sucked and the dungeons were illogical (like everything else in the game).

Morrowind has the best atmosphere/setting in the Elder Scrolls series, some of it is kind of creepty too like the Ascended Sleepers and those dark forts way up north in the game. The combat is garbage however, but Morrowind made it very interesting to explore. It didn't hold your hand at all, you were just set loose into this big world that you knew nothing about.

#46 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Oblivion...dept?:lol: Copy and past caverns and such everywhereShadowMoses900

Not as much as Oblivion, Daggerfall just sucked and the dungeons were illogical (like everything else in the game).

Morrowind has the best atmosphere/setting in the Elder Scrolls series, some of it is kind of creepty too like the Ascended Sleepers and those dark forts way up north in the game. The combat is garbage however, but Morrowind made it very interesting to explore. It didn't hold your hand at all, you were just set loose into this big world that you knew nothing about.

So then why did Oblivion have depth then and in what way?

#47 Posted by princeofshapeir (16483 posts) -

ShadowMoses900

You're saying Oblivion is better than WoW because it does exploration better, but I pointed out it's wrong to expect an MMO to have non-linear exploration on the level of an Elder Scrolls game, particularly when WoW came out in 2004 and exploration isn't necessarily a focus of the game. If your point isn't that Oblivion does exploration better than WoW, what is it?
#48 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

Goyoshi12

The immersion, the world felt so alive. The way the NPC's talked to each other, now it sounds silly today but back then it was amazing to hear AI have conversations about the world. The quests and guilds were all amazing, in fact I argue that the guilds in Oblivion are better than the guilds in Skyrim.

Oblivion you could get lost in for hundreds of hours. I know I did, no not in one setting either :P

#49 Posted by MonsieurX (35950 posts) -

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

ShadowMoses900

The immersion, the world felt so alive. The way the NPC's talked to each other, now it sounds silly today but back then it was amazing to hear AI have conversations about the world. The quests and guilds were all amazing, in fact I argue that the guilds in Oblivion are better than the guilds in Skyrim.

Oblivion you could get lost in for hundreds of hours. I know I did, no not in one setting either :P

Hundreds of hours? Nothing compared to WoW
#50 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"] If you honestly think a single-player game and an MMORPG should both be held to the same standards you're pretty dumb. princeofshapeir

You're saying Oblivion is better than WoW because it does exploration better, but I pointed out it's wrong to expect an MMO to have non-linear exploration on the level of an Elder Scrolls game, particularly when WoW came out in 2004 and exploration isn't necessarily a focus of the game. If your point isn't that Oblivion does exploration better than WoW, what is it?

I was talking about the overall experience and in terms of RPG's. You see it silly to compare them, I know they are different genres. But I played WOW and I played Oblivion, and to me I found Oblivion to be the far more immersive and in depth experience than WOW.

Oblivion was a better RPG than WOW, that's what I'm saying.