Your favorite video game town/city/locations?

• 67 results
jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 4359 Posts

Some of ya'll don't know what a video game world is to be posting real-life locations.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 29349 Posts
@Jag85 said:
@st_monica said:
@Jag85 said:

Cities:

• Tokyo - Shinobi, Ninja Gaiden, Megami Tensei, Persona, Sakura Wars, Machi, Yakuza, 428, Steins Gate, etc.
  • New York - Spider-Man, Shinobi, Punch-Out, Ninja Gaiden, Final Fight, Parasite Eve, Metal Gear Solid 2
  • Wood Oak City - Streets of Rage series
  • Raccoon City - Resident Evil series
  • Midgar - Final Fantasy VII series
  • Yokosuka - Shenmue

Other:

• Hyrule Kingdom - The Legend of Zelda series
  • Egypt - Tomb Raider, Metal Slug, Civilization, Age of Empires, Assassin's Creed Origins, etc.
  • Persia - Prince of Persia, Exile, Civilization, Age of Empires, Eternal Darkness, Assassin's Creed
  • Torla Island - Alundra
  • Spanish Village - Resident Evil 4

I also like Tokyo as the setting for video games because each game represents Tokyo in a very different way. Tokyo in Yakuza, Tokyo in Persona, Tokyo in Sakura Wars, and Tokyo in Steins Gate show completely different aspects of the same city, and don't make me bored.

I personally like other big cities as well, but I feel that in many games they are very stereotypically represented and not see various faces through different games like Tokyo.

Btw, Shinji Mikami's Ghost Wire Tokyo will be released this year, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the game will show Tokyo in a unique way.

Yeah, I think Tokyo is the best setting that's been used in video games. Different games portray different locations within Tokyo, and different aspects of the city, and show it in a different light. It's the same city, yet can feel so different depending on the game.

I think it largely comes down to many of the developers based in Tokyo doing a really good job of representing their city, with a local flavour and their own interpretation of their city. You rarely get that from developers based in other big cities around the world.

Having gone to Tokyo, I was surprised at how certain locations are so authentic to the real life location.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 218

#53 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 15397 Posts
@jaydan said:

Some of ya'll don't know what a video game world is to be posting real-life locations.

OP included real-life locations though.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 jaydan

@Jag85 said:
@jaydan said:

OP included real-life locations though.

And I stand with my statement.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#55 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 3766 Posts

Trinsic from Ultima 7 and Ultima Online

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 2818 Posts

anor londo. that place is just majestic.

Phlop_Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#57 Phlop_Spencer
Member since 2020 • 1476 Posts

Orgrimmar

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 11955 Posts

Everyplace/Yarnham - Bloodborne

Police Department/Racoon City - RE2

Painted World - DarkSouls

House - Visage

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 20825 Posts

@jaydan: Well FH3 is set in Australia, however the game only has certain locations and mashes them together, so it is a video game location loosely based off of a real one.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 jaydan

@i_p_daily said:

@jaydan: Well FH3 is set in Australia, however the game only has certain locations and mashes them together, so it is a video game location loosely based off of a real one.

Let me put it like this: if a game's setting is an accurate simulation of real life locations, it's not what I would call a "video game world," because all I'd have to do is hop on a plane and go there. Now if it's a "real life" location, loosely based on, but alternative to real world representation - that's a bit different.

I'm seeing people post accurate locations such as Chernobyl and New York City here. It's not the same as an actual world that's purely the work of a video game.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 3359 Posts

Gonna go with Oggok from Everquest classic.

Ogre town, and all the houses look like they belong to Fred Flintstone lol.

All the guards are called Basher _______ instead of guard too. Not to mention, they say the most hilarious line I've seen yet in an mmo if you're not friendly to their faction and one of them kills you.

"HA! Bashers is best! I'm victer.....victorioooo...... er......I WIN!"

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 I_P_Daily

@jaydan: Well im just going off of my location, now while FH3 is set in Australia with Australian named towns etc, its nowhere near a true representation and is loosely based, as for the others post, well i didn't read them lol.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By jaydan

@i_p_daily said:

@jaydan: Well im just going off of my location, now while FH3 is set in Australia with Australian named towns etc, its nowhere near a true representation and is loosely based, as for the others post, well i didn't read them lol.

Let me elaborate just a little further: FH3 is more like a collage of the various locations with creative liberties stitched together. I don't think taking landmarks from coast-to-coast and putting them in the same backyard necessarily makes it a "video game world."

I mean, for a real life location to constitute a "video game world," they really have to take a lot of creative liberties to make it its unique thing, an accent rather than the real thing.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 I_P_Daily

@jaydan said:
@i_p_daily said:

Let me elaborate just a little further: FH3 is more like a collage of the various locations with creative liberties stitched together. I don't think taking landmarks from coast-to-coast and putting them in the same backyard necessarily makes it a "video game world."

I mean, for a real life location to constitute a "video game world," they really have to take a lot of creative liberties to make it its unique thing, an accent rather than the real thing.

That's why the Aussie setting in FH3 is very loosely based, they have taken lots of liberties with it. Taking a few towns names is about as real as it gets, Oh and its nice to drive on the right side of the road for once, so sick of all other racers and their American road setup.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 jaydan

@i_p_daily said:
@jaydan said:
@i_p_daily said:

That's why the Aussie setting in FH3 is very loosely based, they have taken lots of liberties with it. Taking a few towns names is about as real as it gets, Oh and its nice to drive on the right side of the road for once, so sick of all other racers and their American road setup.

I'm glad you get to have that kind of representation in your game.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 1242 Posts

There exist so many fantastic worlds and locations in video games that it is hard to pick just one. But the mansion in the very first Resident Evil game is probably my all-time favorite. It was the first time a video game literally scared the shit out of me.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#67 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 15794 Posts

The only location that really stands out right now is the Citadel in ME1. I couldn't believe I got to walk around a real space station.

It was so big that I got lost so many times and had to actually follow the signs. It was amazing