Your Favorite Total War Game?

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

User Lists: 8

Poll Your Favorite Total War Game? (34 votes)

Shogun: Total War 6%
Medieval: Total War 6%
Rome: Total War 21%
Medieval 2: Total War 18%
Empire: Total War 6%
Nepoleon: Total War 0%
Total War: Shogun 2 24%
Total War: Rome 2 0%
Total War: Attila 6%
Total War: Warhammer 15%

Total War: Warhammer came out this year and it was commercial and critical success. Many said it's their favorite in the series. The game has re-energized the franchise with no doubt and having a fantasy based trilogy is a good change for the series primarily known for history based titles.

Games

Shogun: Total War (Expansion: Mongol Invasion)

No Caption Provided

Medieval: Total War (Expansion: Viking Invasion)

No Caption Provided

Rome: Total War (Expansion: Barbarian Invasion, Alexander)

No Caption Provided

Medieval 2: Total War (Expansion: Kingdoms)

No Caption Provided

Empire: Total War (Expansion: The Warpath Campaign)

No Caption Provided

Napoleon: Total War (Expansion: The Peninsular Campaign)

No Caption Provided

Total War: Shogun 2 (Expansion: Rise of the Samurai, Fall of the Samurai)

No Caption Provided

Total War: Rome 2 (Expansion: Caesar in Gaul, Hannibal at the Gates, Imperator, Augustus, Wrath of Sparta)

No Caption Provided

Total War: Attila (Expansion: The Age of Roman, The Age of Charlemagne)

No Caption Provided

Total War: Warhammer (Expansion: The Beastmen, The Warriors of Chaos, The Grim and the Grave, The King and the Warlord)

No Caption Provided

So which one is your favorite (including expansions)? And tell us why. I think my favorite is still Medieval 2: Total War. Something about that time period just makes it my favorite even though technically newer games like Shogun 2 are superior (Better graphics, better AI, Better controls, Streamlined UI etc). So much great stuff happened in that time period that interests me; Mongol invasion, Rise of the Ottoman Empire, Crusades, Rise of Black Powder, Knights of the Templar, Cult of Hashashins and so on.

Discuss.

• 
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 33746 Posts

I love a historical setting more.

But to be honest, Warhammer nailed the combat:

• Units charging into battle, jumping before delivering that first hit
  • Big units that demolish little troops
  • Griphons that come down from the sky and eat little troops.

I'll always prefer a setting like Napoleon, Rome or Medieval more, but the battles in Warhammer make me feel like I'm in a LOTR movie :)

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 25795 Posts

I really suck at those games, so I stay away. :P But Warhammer would appeal to me the most for being fantasy.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1700 Posts

Shogun Total War 2 and Medieval Total War.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Empire: Total War. I just really liked the gun combat and time period.

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

Medieval 2 Total War was my favourite. I can't forget Rome, first TW game I played.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Attila is my favorite of all times. It has the deepest strategical game play of the series. It's like civilization game on the global map. Deep diplomacy plus religion plus logistics plus settlement planning and specialization. Even soIL fertility and polution are taken into account lol But yeah, Warhammer, despite overly simplified strategic game play and town management, comes second because each faction is played completely different and the battles are just the best of the series. I mean playing Vampire Counts was the best necromancy game play I have ever played. It's like playing for the white walkers in Game of Thrones. Simply Vampire Counts alone is 10/10 game play in Warhammer. So yeh, Attila was the product of 10+ years of experience and polishing of Total War gameplay formula, meanwhile Warhammer is a fucking Warhammer.

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

Shogun 2

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 58271 Posts

Total War: Shogun 2

Kozio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kozio
Member since 2015 • 781 Posts

The game that you will find the most fun is probably the one associated with your favorite setting. I have multiple favourites, they are all pretty good.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I'm loving Warhammer because I'm a Games Workshop nut from way back but Empire is still my favourite due to the scale and epic feeling of the battles. Nothing says epic war like a 17th/18th century battle. Oddly I never gelled that much with Napoleon, probably because it was just tuned Empire on a smaller scale.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#11 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 10007 Posts

I've only been playing TW games since Empire, but my favorites from what I have played are Shogun 2 and Attila.

Warhammer had fun battles but the strategic layer felt kinda weak compared to Attila

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By thepclovingguy
Member since 2016 • 2059 Posts

My favorite one is Attila, especially when playing as the western roman empire. You literally experience the fall of Rome in a sense, which puts you in the position to preserve the empire at all cost against endless hordes of unique enemies. I usually stick to Spain and abandon every other province until I get my economic and military going as the western roman empire.

Cant wait for the Medieval Kingdoms 1212 AD mod to be released

Loading Video...

However, my other two favorite total wars are medieval 2 and napoleon total war(since I love the gun powder era).

Total war is the best strategy franchise ever made, I can invest hours upon hours in these games without ever getting tired, no other game I ever played offers as much replayability as total war, not only that, but total war is also quite unique compared to most modern AAA games, which mostly consist of copy paste garbage.

Total war Warhammer basically shits on any other game released this year, the only game I could see beating warhammer total war this year would be mount and blade bannerlord.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thepclovingguy

@Litchie said:

I really suck at those games, so I stay away. :P But Warhammer would appeal to me the most for being fantasy.

Maybe because its the most casual total war, but still a great game nonetheless.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26046 Posts

Total War Warhammer is a whole next lvl for the TW games

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#15 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 39525 Posts

Shogun 2 for me bro. Them Samurai dudes and women with clown makeup are awesome.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

I haven't played the latest ones,but shogun 2 was amazing

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 thepclovingguy

Total war is what I call a high quality pc exclusive franchise.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#18  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17934 Posts

Shogun 2. It's where the franchise went full circle from the their first Total War game and it's their best release.

It just felt like the fresh change it needed after being stuck with somewhat flat footed regiment warfare and all the bravado and spectacle of behind European conflict. It just felt different as a whole. Unit groups just seemed so much more agile, nimble and responsive than what the series had prior and the game just had this sense of atmosphere I never really felt from the franchise (maybe with the exception of Napoleon's explosive naval battles, prior). I mean, just look at those cherry blossoms in the background of that screenshot in the OP.

It was also the first 'main release' where I felt the presentation didn't seem visually dry or clinical. You can just feel the passion and admiration that was put into Shogun 2 and the culture they worked from all the lovely touches of traditional Japanese artwork across its menus and interface. And the admiration of culture carried right down to the its implementation of its mechanics that enhanced its strategic layer that drew directly from Shogun 2's cultural context. The way it handled honor, loyalty, feudalism and even little things like seppuku was a nice thematic and mechanical touch. The implementation of Agents provided such a cool layer of trickery and espionage. And although I might be in the minority here (also, I picked factions that started quite distant from Kyoto), I liked the Realm Divide mechanic: Because it made the mid-late game scenario quite interesting and avoided the usual 4X trapping of the campaign 'cracking' to a point where it's clear that someone was going to win and said 'winner' is just there mindlessly cleaning up. It also added a means for you to plan ahead before deciding to make such commitment.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15142 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Shogun 2 for me bro. Them Samurai dudes and women with clown makeup are awesome.

:-)

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 thepclovingguy

Seems everybody favors shogun 2, well shogun 2 was a good game, but it honestly felt to limited, not enough variety since you are fighting the same culture over and over again. Beautiful game though despite its age.

kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21  Edited By kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11406 Posts

I think I'll give it to Medieval 2 (incl. Kingdoms). I loved the Medieval setting and the game was generally an improvement over Rome technically.

Second place goes to Rome (incl. BI and Alexander). First TW game I played, loved it, nostalgia too stronk.

Third place is Shogun 2(incl. expansions). Great game in general, technically an improvement over its predecessors, just a bummer that all the factions looked pretty much the same. And I got into the game pretty late, not long before Rome 2 came out. Maybe if I had got it sooner and played it more I would have ranked it higher, idk, but I didn't have a good enough pc until then.

Last place goes to Rome 2 (incl. Caesar and some other stuff). This game was an epic let down and made me lose trust in CA when it launched. Their commitment to fix the game made me regain trust but the game is still "meh".

I'll give Empire and Shogun 1 a honorable mention. The reason why I didn't add them to the list is because I barely played them. The former happened to come in a humble bundle and I wasn't that interested in it anymore by the time I got it(didn't have a good enough pc when it came out), but it was fun for the one day that I played it. The latter I basically bought for cheap in the store one day to see what the old TW was like and because I felt like collecting TW game at the time. Despite being old it was still pretty fun I must admit, for the day or two that I played it. I'd play them again if I had more time and less other games. >.>

I kinda wish I had bought Attila in a humble bundle when I had the chance. [sad face]

I'll definitely pick up Warhammer someday. Maybe I'll give the original Medieval a try in the meantime, it's been sitting in my library for a while like so many other games. Or maybe I'll give Shogun 2 another run.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 1

#22 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 45771 Posts

It's a close tie between Empire and Medieval 2.

Although, The Third Age is right up there with those two; a fantastic overhaul mod that is still addicting to play.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25254 Posts

Medieval 2, Empire, and Napoleon.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#24 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 39525 Posts

Well I guess it depends on if you include Rise and Fall. The most pronounced difference is obviously Fall Of Samurai where (like the series) it mush-mashes two styles of combat. at odds with each other. But even the smaller expansion pack (Rise) has substantial gameplay difference

@thepclovingguy said:

Seems everybody favors shogun 2, well shogun 2 was a good game, but it honestly felt to limited, not enough variety since you are fighting the same culture over and over again. Beautiful game though despite its age.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

I had the most fun with medievel 2. Have played total war in a long time though.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

I really wish there was a new Medieval. Perfect era for this type of game.

I LOVED Shogun 2...the calvary was so fun, and lot's of great ranged classes. I've loved them all though...but a few stick out ahead.