Your favorite fighters of this last generation (PS4/XBONE/Switch/Wii U)?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41489 Posts

So, which fighting games ended up being on your favorites list of this gen? Mine:

5. SoulCalibur VI

It's definitely the best SC in a post SoulCalibur II era, with robust custom character creator, and Geralt of Rivia. But the choice of 2B, a scantly clad robot from a sci-fi post-apocalyptic world, seems a little hypocritical after SCIV received backlash for involving Jedi and Sith (Yoda, Darth Vader, The Apprentice/Galen "Starkiller" Marek) from Star Wars (though I imagine it would be "accepted" now because "f*** Disney? And f*** Kathleen Kennedy?"). Stage design isn't as memorable as the past either.

4. Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid

This one... surprised me as before I played this game, I haven't seen anything Power Rangers in years. While there are still improvements that can be made, the fact that it went from what launched as a trash licensed game, to something very tweaked and entertaining, to the point where even the Rangers fanservice improves (like adding a story mode WITH Jason David Frank and Austin St. John reprising Tommy Oliver and Jason Lee Scott respectively).

Plus, the appearance of Ryu and Chun Li as Power Rangers, so to Switch and XBOX owners, the closest thing to Street Fighter V we're gonna get. Still, never thought I'd see the day where I have more fun with a Power Rangers game than a SoulCalibur game.

Speaking of licensed fighters...

3. Dragon Ball FighterZ

Budokai 3 is finally dethroned! We now have a Dragon Ball game widely accepted in the professional scene (EVO, etc) and the FGC, rather than mostly Dragon Ball fans. And we have the masters at ArcSystem Works to thank for it, and it makes us WANT to see more anime with their (or other devs) treatment (I definitely want to see Naruto/Boruto like this and I fell out with that series LONG ago).

2. Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Going cross then with this one. As between playing this on 360 (and now XBOX ONE via BC) and Wii U, I ended up playing this more than Tekken 7 AND Smash Wii U combined. Not sure what it is about Tekken 7 that didn't click with me as much as this one.

Though, minus the Nintendo costumes, the Wii U version was definitely the more packed version, especially given it brings back a niche side mode (like Tekken Ball from Tekken 3).

1. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Of course I thought this one would win (although I preferred SoulCalibur II over Melee and it was flip floppy between Brawl and TvC... Smash Wii U, the less spoken of, the better). This is how you do a "gang's all here" fighter (like say Mortal Kombat Trilogy or Dead or Alive Dimensions, hell Tekken Tag series to SOME extent, missing out GON), and go the extra mile with surprises (like Banjo-Kazooie and Kazuya Mishima).

If this is Sakurai's last game. It's deserved. Let that overworked man rest.

Honorable mentions:

Killer Instinct (2013)

Mortal Kombat 11

Tekken 7

What are your choices?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38119 Posts

Not a fan of fighting games, but id vote for Killer Instinct.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Honestly, this last gen taught me that I really don't care about fighting games much. I plan to eventually buy MK11 Ultimate for PS5 but that could very well be the last fighting game I bother with. I bought a few but each game held my attention for maybe a week. Glad I got most of them at severe discounts instead of at launch.

Fighters I bought for PS4:

• Injustice 2 (for Ninja Turtles)
  • MK X
  • Soul Calibur 6

Then I got one of the Street Fighters with Plus not long ago and I have Smash Ultimate on Switch. That said, I was never big on fighters.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55898 Posts
  • Killer Instinct PC
  • Mortal Kombat 11 PC
  • Injustice 2 PS4
  • Street Fighter V PS4
  • Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid PS4
  • SSBU Switch

Those are my 6 fighting games I enjoy last-gen but there can only be 1 winner. The winner for me is...SSBU!!!

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

SF5

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15868 Posts

SFV, Guilty Gear Xrd revelator and Gran Blue Fantasy Versus.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Ultra Street Fighter 4 (ps4)...after it got patched and fixed.

SFV (ps4)

Tekken 7 (ps4)

MKX (ps4)

Virtua Fighter 5

Guilty Gear Xrd

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Tekken 7
Under Night in Birth Exe Late Cl-r
Guilty Gear Revelator 2

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3448 Posts

Tekken 7

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23706 Posts

Was a great time for the genre, so many good ones to choose from.

SFV is easily my tops. Lost track between multiple accounts and platforms, but definitely over 1500 hrs on that game. Doesn't sound like much, but considering the 3 year break. 😅

Most played from there is a tossup between Rev2 and Tekken 7. And if it counts, already over 200 hrs in Strive, currently my main game.

Also enjoyed messing around in KOF14, Killer Instinct, Skullgirls, MVCI, DBFZ, UNIST, etc.

Then all these classics that got retrofitted with proper rollback. Not "last gen" games of course, but finally capable of modern online play.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#12 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58643 Posts

SFV/KOFXIV

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

Aside from Super Smahs Bros for Wii U, maybe MKXL deserves mentioning from me. I hated MK11 though, yeah it looks better graphically and the line-up of finishers is exhausting but the game was so stiff gameplay-wise. I kind of wanted to try that Jump Force, cool idea and style but all that uber-weeb line-up was too off putting.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16515 Posts

Is budokai really dethroned by dragon ball fighter? Not sure about that

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I would have to go with

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NNoyingHusband
Member since 2020 • 1038 Posts

Anyone else that just can't get into fighting games? I haven't played one in forever, like since Soul Caliber on Dreamcast. I just feel no desire to get them. Even when I look at one, thinking maybe I'd enjoy it, I just can't bring myself to buy it.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7201 Posts

I haven't played a number of the big games yet like Street Fighter V, KoF XIV, MK11, Tekken 7, or the new Guilty Gears. I had kids this gen, so I don't have time to play all the fighters anymore. But with that in mind:

ARMS. This game brought me back to days of the DreamCast, where simple goofy fun arcade style games reigned supreme. The extendable arms bring elements of an arena shooter to an arena brawler, and those are two genres I can't get enough of. Yeah, it's simple, and the skill ceiling isn't all that high, but I don't play games to prove my worth as a man. I play for fun. And ARMS is fun. Also, my god the theme song is catchy:

Loading Video...

Slice, Dice, and Rice. Of all the recent one-hit-kill indie fighting games out there like Divekick, Nidhogg, or Samurai Gunn, this is my favorite. The simplicity of it lets you focus soley on zoning, timing, and baiting. And for a beginer, I actually think playing this will help you get better at the more complex games out there. Plus the art direction is stunning:

Loading Video...

Soul Calbur VI. Soul Calibur V was a good game, it just lacked content. VI brings over and refines many of the new ideas explored in V, and actually has the kind of content people expect in modern fighting games. I would argue they went too far with the story mode. When did a cutscene at the end of arcade mode stop being enough?

Killer Instinct. Someone described this as being as good as you remember the original being. It's really true. They took the basic structure of the game, and made it bigger, flashier, and more fluid. Same with the visuals, same aesthetic but bigger, flashier, and more fluid (and not quite soooo 90's). Music? Louder, harder, better. Just a fantastic reboot all around.

Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4. I kinda think these games were a bit bloated with their mechanics, but this one streamlined things somewhat. Good fun, and I'm not even that into the Anime.

Smash Bros Ultimate. Do I need to explain this? It's Smash Bros with all the things.

Pokken Tournament. You get to actually control the Pokemon when they fight. I like this way more than the RPGs. It's interesting that Nintendo is the first party publisher with the most active fighting franchises right now with this, Smash, and ARMS. Used to be an underrepresented genre on Nintendo platforms.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 uninspiredcup

@nnoyinghusband said:

Anyone else that just can't get into fighting games? I haven't played one in forever, like since Soul Caliber on Dreamcast. I just feel no desire to get them. Even when I look at one, thinking maybe I'd enjoy it, I just can't bring myself to buy it.

Fighting games are more accessible than ever.

If you can't get into them now, never will.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SargentD
Member since 2020 • 7976 Posts

@nintendoboy16:

1. Tekken 7 (Tekken tag tournament 2 is my number 1, but i played on 360, so doesn't count for me)

2. Fighter Z

3. DOA5

4. Smash Ultimate

5.MK10

Honorable mentions: killer instinct, Samurai showdown, Injustice 2, Nidhogg

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18249 Posts

I still play Street Fighter V regularly ... trying to get back into some shape after dropping it for almost a year ... i'm hyped for the last characters so i'm sure i'll be playing it for a while.

As for the rest, i would say Smash and DBZ, while Smash is such a joy to play with friends, i really didn't put that much time in the competitive side, same with DBZ, because it get's a bit too much.

I'm waiting for KOF XV and i will get Strive in the near future, i really want to put the time in those games.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8810 Posts

@nintendoboy16: Best fighting game of all time" "Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee"!

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LouiXIII
Member since 2015 • 10052 Posts

SFV

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2074 Posts

Yakuza 0 (Not a fighter but close enough)

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1453 Posts
  • Tekken 7
  • Street Fighter V
  • Smash Bros. Ultimate
  • Dragon Ball FighterZ
  • Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2→Strive

Not only are these games fun to play, they are also fun to watch. The devs have been supporting them for years, including adding characters and features, balancing, as well as hosting official tournaments.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25  Edited By Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34468 Posts

1. Smash Bros. Ultimate

And.. that's it. All other fighting games I've played have either been meh or destroyed by shit business practices.

Remember in the past when you bought a fighting game? Like Soul Calibur 2? You got a bunch of characters, a bunch of stages, a bunch of unlockable fighters and cosmetics. Several different modes. And you got all this on launch. A complete game.

Fighting games now: You get 5 characters and 3 stages for $60. Want cosmetics? Please pay more. Want more characters and stages? Please wait half a year for a season pass, and then pay more.

Don't have Tekken 7 and want the full game? That'll be $300.
Want SFV? Yeah, that'll be $265.

Yeah, no. How about you and your game **** off instead?

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 VFighter

@Litchie: Remember when you bought a fighting game like SF2 and got 8 characters and 10 stages. Then a year later if you wanted to play the boss characters you had to shell out another $60-70 for the new game, and then another year later if you wanted to play the 4 newer characters you had to once again buy a new copy of the game for $60-70?

This new model isn't perfect, but it's definitely cheaper and keeps the games going for years and years. Don't have SFV with all the characters, it'll cost you about $30-40 total right now. Don't have Tekken 7 at the moment, it's gonna cost you $30-40 also. Don't have MK11 yet, the Ultimate edition will run you maybe $20.

I see what you're trying to say, but fabricating up BS isn't helping your cause any.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Litchie  Online
@vfighter said:

@Litchie:

This new model isn't perfect, but it's definitely cheaper and keeps the games going for years and years. Don't have SFV with all the characters, it'll cost you about $30-40 total right now. Don't have Tekken 7 at the moment, it's gonna cost you $30-40 also. Don't have MK11 yet, the Ultimate edition will run you maybe $20.

I see what you're trying to say, but fabricating up BS isn't helping your cause any.

I checked and that's just not true. You can get the "Ultimate" version of Tekken 7 for $100, and that only includes two of four season passes. Full version of Tekken 7 still costs $300 on Steam.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By sakaiXx
@Litchie said:
@vfighter said:

@Litchie:

I checked and that's just not true. You can get the "Ultimate" version of Tekken 7 for $100, and that only includes two of four season passes. Full version of Tekken 7 still costs $300 on Steam.

SFV champion edition includes all costumes up to season 4. Usual Fighter pass needed for season 5.

SSBU only exist thanks to Wii U ver tanking and I doubt nintendo will go this route for next entry. The original SSB4 on Wii U new fighters, mii customes and stages cost extra $40-60. SSBU able to bring all the characters because its just a rework of SSB4 and you do still need to buy Fighter Pass vol 1 and vol 2 for the extra characters. Same practices as other fighting games.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Litchie  Online
@sakaixx said:
@Litchie said:
@vfighter said:

@Litchie:

SFV champion edition includes all costumes up to season 4. Usual Fighter pass needed for season 5.

SSBU only exist thanks to Wii U ver tanking and I doubt nintendo will go this route for next entry. The original SSB4 on Wii U new fighters, mii customes and stages cost extra $40-60. SSBU able to bring all the characters because its just a rework of SSB4 and you do still need to buy Fighter Pass vol 1 and vol 2 for the extra characters. Same practices as other fighting games.

You're comparing the shittery I'm talking about with a fighting game from Nintendo where you get 70 characters and 100 stages for 60 bucks. Oh, and also a million cosmetics.

If anything, Ultimate is the best business practice in any fighting game ever made. I haven't bought any DLCs for it, and still don't feel like I'm missing out, as opposed to other fighting games where about 80% of the game is DLC, and that's on top of the initial $60 bucks for the game.

Nothing you guys said makes the business practices of Smash Ultimate or old fighting games worse than how most fighting games are now.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 sakaiXx

@Litchie said:
@sakaixx said:
@Litchie said:
@vfighter said:

@Litchie:

You're comparing the shittery I'm talking about with a fighting game from Nintendo where you get 70 characters and 100 stages for 60 bucks.

If anything, Ultimate is the best business practice in any fighting game ever made. I haven't bought any DLCs for it, and still don't feel like I'm missing out, as opposed to other fighting games where about 80% of the game is DLC, and that's on top of the initial $60 bucks for the game.

Nothing you guys said makes the business practices of Smash Ultimate or old fighting games worse than how most fighting games are now.

I disagree at some points. SSBU is equal to SFV Champion edition where its basically just mechanic rework of original release (SSB4 Wii U and SFV) and with most dlc additions. You still needs to buy latest Season Pass for the extra characters or dont.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7181 Posts

Injustice 2 was one of my favourites last gen.

Avatar image for deactivated-611a8cd6e3c93
deactivated-611a8cd6e3c93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-611a8cd6e3c93
Member since 2013 • 421 Posts

In no particular order:

• Killer Instinct
  • Mortal Kombat X
  • Mortal Kombat 11
  • Tekken 7
  • DOA6

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 VFighter

@Litchie: You can get all of it (base game and the 4 season passes) on PSN right now for a total of $50, sorry I was $10 off.

No idea how you're at $300.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Litchie  Online
@vfighter said:

@Litchie: You can get all of it (base game and the 4 season passes) on PSN right now for a total of $50, sorry I was $10 off.

No idea how you're at $300.

Yeah, saw that too. Very cheap on there right now.

Ok, on Steam, the base game is 40€. So it's not 60€ anymore. The "Ultimate" version is 90€ and includes two of four season passes.

The season passes not included with the 90€ Ultimate version costs an extra 40€.

Say that you consider having the full game if you own the base game and all season passes (which you don't, since there's cosmetics and shit not included in season passes), then the game will be 130€ ($150). Want the "real full game"? Afaik, that will be more. Not sure how much more, because what's included in what is confusing enough that I can't be arsed with checking. That's why my first number was wrong, and another reason why I hate today's fighting games business models..

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 43933 Posts

:P

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By VFighter

@Litchie: Yeah I saw that price on steam after I posted, I thought steam was supposed to have good deals?!? Damn, even a new physical copy is only $19!

Edit, and yeah I don't like how a lot of fighters treat Cosmetic stuff, it just gets really confusing. DOA5 (and I'm sure 6) is a PERFECT example of this since it has like 20,000 different outfits and options and overlapping items in different bundles and such, wtf?!?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7201 Posts

@vfighter: Namco (and many other publishers) keep their prices high on Steam so they can put the game "on sale" every other week.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By uninspiredcup

@SecretPolice: Wish played more of this. While wasn't keen on the locked combo-system, esp automated, some characters like Hisako were creative.