Your favorite Batman Arkham game

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

Poll Your favorite Batman Arkham game (56 votes)

Batman: Arkham City 32%
Batman: Arkham Asylum 39%
Batman: Arkham Knight 16%
Batman: Arkham Origins 7%
5%

So i saw this article on PC Gamer and decided to see what SW thinks of the best Batman Arkham game. my love for the series knows no bound and Arkham City is on my Top 5.

No Caption Provided

Here's how i'd rank them from the Best to the least best :

1. Batman: Arkham City : The overhauled revolutionary mechanics of Asylum in a dark snowy open-world with an engaging story, chilling soundtracks and a memorable ending.

2.Batman: Arkham Asylum : The first game ever which proved that you can make a brilliant super hero title.

3. Batman: Arkham Knight : Followed in the footsteps of its predecessors and offered a slightly improved experience with one drawback :doubling down on its new addition to gameplay, aka Batmobile. However, i pretty much had fun with it but i do accept they shouldn't have emphasized that much on it. And also, a downright disappointing villain

4. Batman: Arkham Origins : Granted, not as good as the Rocksteady developed titles but i highly enjoyed it and it has the best detective mode of the whole series, hands down.

Your turn.

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#1  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Beat Asylum, City and Knight and honestly Knight is my favorite. Never understood the hate the game gets outside of lacking proper boss fights. Anything else was just... marvelous! I guess the bad reputation came mostly from the crappy PC version. And btw, I liked the batmobile, even its combat sections.

Still have yet to play Origins but I want to

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59071 Posts

Batman: Arkham Origins visually reminded me of Batman Returns with it's Christmas setting, which is a weird, and wonderfully depressing Christmas movie. And the plot-line reminded me Knightfall, and Bane for a large majority was actually done right for once. Except they fucked it up at the end by focusing on the Joker again and making Black Mask (a potentially interesting villain) a red herring.

Because every game, ever, needs the Joker. Even though he is actually really boring.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

Batman Arkham Asylum is the only good game of the series, but it is an awesome game.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

@Vatusus said:

Beat Asylum, City and Knight and honestly Knight is my favorite. Never understood the hate the game gets outside of lacking proper boss fights. Anything else was just... marvelous! I guess the bad reputation came mostly from the crappy PC version. And btw, I liked the batmobile, even its combat sections.

Still have yet to play Origins but I want to

i liked Batmobile, my main gripe was the villain and the fact that game had so much potential for boss fights which devs didn't take advantage of, and side missions could've been better.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mjorh

@uninspiredcup said:

Batman: Arkham Origins visually reminded me of Batman Returns with it's Christmas setting, which is a weird, and wonderfully depressing Christmas movie. And the plot-line reminded me Knightfall, and Bane for a large majority was actually done right for once. Except they fucked it up at the end by focusing on the Joker again and making Black Mask (a potentially interesting villain) a red herring.

Because every game, ever, needs the Joker. Even though he is actually really boring.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mjorh

@primorandomguy said:

Batman Arkham Asylum is the only good game of the series, but it is an awesome game.

Why you didn't like the rest? i mean the least you could do was mainlining them, after all, it's similar to the Asylum

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24959 Posts

Asylum by far.

City was boring compare to asylum, origins suck, and knights was trash.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

The fact that my favourite aspects of this series are the Riddler trophies and challenge maps is what really determines the following placements.

1) Arkham City

2) Arkham Knight

3) Arkham Asylum

4) Arkham Origins

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mjorh

@Pikminmaniac said:

The fact that my favourite aspects of this series are the Riddler trophies and challenge maps is what really determines the following placements.

1) Arkham City

2) Arkham Knight

3) Arkham Asylum

4) Arkham Origins

Arkham Knight had some awesome Riddler puzzles, actually Riddler side missions were the best, and Batmobile really shined there

@ghosts4ever said:

Asylum by far.

City was boring compare to asylum, origins suck, and knights was trash.

What did you like about Asylum?

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#10 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

In order of greatness....

1. Batman Arkham Knight

2. Batman Arkham City

3. Batman Arkham Asylum

4. Batman Arkham Origins

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#11 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

Knight has the best hand to hand combat and moving was better than city, but I think I've sunk more time into Asylum. I liked the challenges

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

It's a coin flip between Asylum and City, but I'll go with City because I really enjoy the gliding. Origins was also a lot of fun, and as for Arkham Knight, yeah... I'd put it way down in last place.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Arkham Knight

It just plays so damn well compared to the games in the series. Honestly, it's very hard for me to go back to the older games. They just feel so bare bones in comparison. Yeah, the side content is very repetitive in Arkham Knight, but it easily has the best campaign.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts

Mines still Arkham Asylum, followed by Arkham Knight.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

I despise superhero games.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

City by a hair over Asylum.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

I would say Asylum, I find it better paced, and with better built levels. I also like that the characters that show up, has a logical place where they are (in the asylum).

While I like City, I find the story a bit meh, huge famous characters just show up to wave and say "Hi! I am here too" it feels like. The gliding is awesome, and if the city felt more alive I would like it a lot better, I know the in game and logical reason why there is very few civilians but it hurts the game. It just felt like they needed to make a bigger Asylum, at the cost of pacing and design.

Knight while it ran fairly well on my PC, I had a more of a few issues from a game design standpoint, and I absolutely loathed the bat mobile.

Origins? Origins is an odd one, an even dumber reason then city for having next to no civilians on the streets, but actual gameplay? I like combat quite a bit more then city, I did like the rogue gallery. It felt like a City with less direction, better combat, and an odd feel compared to the others. Ultimately I think I like more then Knight, but not entirely sure.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mjorh

@jg4xchamp said:

And what defines that "hair" ? i kinda recall you gave the edge to Asylum, not sure tho

@Maddie_Larkin said:

I would say Asylum, I find it better paced, and with better built levels. I also like that the characters that show up, has a logical place where they are (in the asylum).

While I like City, I find the story a bit meh, huge famous characters just show up to wave and say "Hi! I am here too" it feels like. The gliding is awesome, and if the city felt more alive I would like it a lot better, I know the in game and logical reason why there is very few civilians but it hurts the game. It just felt like they needed to make a bigger Asylum, at the cost of pacing and design.

Knight while it ran fairly well on my PC, I had a more of a few issues from a game design standpoint, and I absolutely loathed the bat mobile.

Origins? Origins is an odd one, an even dumber reason then city for having next to no civilians on the streets, but actual gameplay? I like combat quite a bit more then city, I did like the rogue gallery. It felt like a City with less direction, better combat, and an odd feel compared to the others. Ultimately I think I like more then Knight, but not entirely sure.

Asylum was linear in structure hence better paced, i don't think a great open-world can surpass a great linear game when it comes to pacing, i guess when you move to Open World you automatically sacrifice the pacing ... however, i still think if you mainline the story you can have a better pacing

Well, i found the story better than the Asylum, that ending !

What i liked about Origins was the detective mode and Boss fights, man do AK needed those boss fights !

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts
@mjorh said:
@jg4xchamp said:

And what defines that "hair" ? i kinda recall you gave the edge to Asylum, not sure tho

A few things Asylum does is more to my liking. For starters I think the world is more interesting to explore because I much prefer a metroid-like game versus a zelda/open world type game. Having the riddler actually challenge you through honest to god riddles, is a pretty neat twist on basic pixel hunting. And the game's visual language even with the art style it has is good enough to make it relatively easy to navigate a spot and find what he means. Some of them aren't very good, because they require knowledge of characters and just combing the area. But a lot of them you can work out logically "Oh he's talking about a seesaw" and boom.

It's a much better paced video game. Because it's not an open world game and because the plot is a lot better thought out (read not good, just better thought out), the game maintains a level of momentum and keeps pressing forward. City diverges a bit too much for my liking, and some of its side shit is utterly pointless. The atmosphere is better capitalized on, Scarecrow moments are rad, and it's the only one of the Arkham games where the story isn't straight shit. The actually do a decent, if underwhelming job of adapting the actual Arkham Asylum story. City is just all over the place and messy, Origin is a shitty Arkham Origin story, and Knight takes one of the best Batman stories in Jason Todd, and fucking ruins it.

Now all that stuff said

-The puzzles were actually a dope addition to arkham city, and are more consistently strong than the Riddles. The riddles themselves make more sense in terms of character, but puzzles make for a better game in comparison.

-The combat is that much better. You have more tools, a more varied up enemy roster, 1 actual good boss fight, 2 meh ones in comparison to all of them being shit in Asylum, and the combat engine itself is more fluid

-It doesn't compromise on pure level design, as the areas you need to go function like Dungeons. It's why I think City is more Zelda and Knight is more GTA. City has proper dungeon like areas that are when Batman's systems are very good, Knight is really bad at that stuff by comparison.

-While some of the side stuff is lame ass bullshit (Azreal and the Hush stuff are boring), the Madhatter segment is divine, the Riddler side missions are ace as ****, and Deadshot is aight.

-Catwoman is mildly fun to play as, though she messes with the pacing a bit.

-The Challenge rooms are that much better, especially thanks to the improvements in combat.

Asylum has better structure and moments, City plays better moment to moment. Knight should be City tier because the systems are in place. But the Batmobile ruins everything. That and **** them for messing up on a Jason Todd story.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Although Asylum offered a unique super hero experience, it's last on the list. The open world city games offered so much more in terms of lore, game play, etc.., With that said though, the entire four game series is easily one of the best every created.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

Arkham Knight easily.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

@mjorh: I played City and Knight too. Never played origin. City is boring, and Knight is... Kinda garage. I like linear over open world generally, plus asylum had the atmosphere and uniqueness the others didn't have.

koko-goal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 koko-goal
Member since 2008 • 1122 Posts

I only played the first one :/

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44604 Posts

I'm gonna say Arkham Knight. Between Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, I liked Asylum more. Asylum was much better paced, better emphasis on stealth, and they did a much better job giving the villains the attention they deserved. The collectibles also did a much better job giving interesting background bios on the villains of the asylum. Arkham City expanded on the game's mechanics, but did a disservice to the villains which they seemed to mostly gloss over.

I still have yet to play Origins, yet I don't get all the hate. From the general consensus of reviews I've come across, they simply hated on it because it didn't do anything new. Is that always such a bad thing? Anyhow, Arkham Knight, I think it got way too hated on, some part because of the shitty PC port (I blame Nvidia again, another GameWorks game that has glaring PC issues). But, I loved the whole angle they had between Joker and Batman in this one. And the graphics, best yet. I did not even mind the Batmobile, I don't get all the hate there either. I had a lot of fun with it. People need to chill out with the nitpicking sometimes. Do I like it better than Asylum? Hard to say, but I feel I should stick up for it since it's so hated on.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

City by miles and miles.

I own all four versions of the game. Beaten three of them to 70% completion or more (main story complete, all challenges at least bronzed and all Riddler stuff unlocked).

I'm waiting to get the "itch" to play it again to break out the Wii U Armored Edition and do it all over again.

nathanbats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#26 nathanbats
Member since 2016 • 1057 Posts

1.Batman Arkham City

2.Batman arkham origins

3.Batman arkham asylum

4.Batman arkham knight

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mjorh

@jg4xchamp:

Couldn't agree more, good points.

As you mentioned Catwoman, another thing that bothers me about AK is her, wish she was a playable character or they would've implemented some Co-op mode ...so many characters wasted... they could've done a lotta things with Batman AK, such a bummer.

@lamprey263:

Believe me, i enjoyed the hell outta Batman AK and i also think it doesn't deserve the heat it gets but man the game had so much potential, they could've implemented some boss fights, Co-op mode, a better villain and a better Jason Todd story ...they could've done much more ...

And i loved Joker parts as well, and it caught me off guard the first time he showed up, one of the best moments of the game.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mjorh

@koko-goal said:

I only played the first one :/

Play the rest, i'm sure you'll have a great time.

@foxhound_fox said:

City by miles and miles.

I own all four versions of the game. Beaten three of them to 70% completion or more (main story complete, all challenges at least bronzed and all Riddler stuff unlocked).

I'm waiting to get the "itch" to play it again to break out the Wii U Armored Edition and do it all over again.

Great!

What's added in that Edition?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34666 Posts

Asylum. It was the most fun the first time. City was cool, but instead of being fun, all riddler things was just.. "I have to do this shit again?". So I didn't care about those, and I found the gameplay and story way better in Asylum. Haven't even tried Knight and have no interest.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts
  1. Batman Arkham City (For the gameplay)
  2. Batman Arkham Asylum (For the story)
  3. Batman Arkham Origins (Bad combat, but good story) - Best boss battles
  4. Batman Arkham Knight (Good combat like AC, but the story wasn't too great) - Boss battles? More like tank battles...
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59071 Posts

@mjorh: True though. You read something like Frankenstein or Dracula, or watch a movie like the first Halloween or the excellent Shining the authors deliberately hold back to make the crescendo that much sweeter.

They are aware Joker is the most recognizable brand, so they jangle him around like a pair of keys in front of child. In the end it's diminishing returns, pandering at the expense of everything else.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

AA>AC>AO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>butt cancer>AK

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22747 Posts

Arkham Asylum. Most atmospheric and focused. When they went full open world it lost its flavor to me. I liked AC, never played Origins and I really enjoyed Arkham Knight until the end. The batmobile is fine until the last few hours of the game where it's like, "C'mon guys are you kidding me?"

Overall though, Arkham Asylum was my favorite.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#35 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Arkham City by far.

• Arkham Asylum- 8.5/10
  • Arkham City- 9.5/10
  • Arkham Origins- 6/10
  • Arkham Knight- 7.5/10
Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#36 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

City, but I still need to finish Knight one of these days.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts

In order 1 batman AC 10/10 2 batman AA 9/10 3 batman AK 8.510 4 batman AO 7.5/10

pug987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By pug987
Member since 2005 • 460 Posts

Arkham Asylum was a pure joy to play. I loved every minute of it. The pacing and structure was solid.

City on the other hand was kind of mediocre. I really disliked the open world gameplay in the maze-like streets and dungeons. It had some good moments and great graphics but all in all, I count it as yet another franchise that went open world cause that's hip right now, without actually being a good fit.

I'm currently playing Origins and it's not so bad. I guess my expectations after City and the reviews Origins got were low. However if you don't take bugs into account I think it's better than City. Shorter, more focused, more interesting story. Also the boss battles are the best in the first three games by far. The thing is it's hard not to take bugs into account. Nothing really gamebreaking but they are constant and annoying little things. Also it may just be my imagination but I think the graphics are quite worse than City.

Knight I haven't played yet.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@mjorh said:

Great!

What's added in that Edition?

It's the GOTY Edition (all DLC) with the gamepad features added. So you get a realtime map on the small screen and lift the controller up to the main screen to use detective vision and the like. It's mostly a gimmick, but hey, it's different.