commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 commander
Member since 2010 • 15709 Posts

Best: the sapphire 7870 xt, it was actually like a 7930, and it only costed 200$ , this while 7950 were 300$, and they were significantly stronger than the normal 7870

Worst: the amiga cd 32, thank god I could sell it before it completely drowned.

What is your best and worst hardware purchase

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 141

#2  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 12010 Posts

My RTX 2080 Ti is both my best and worst. Best because it is the most beastly GPU I have ever bought and the worst because it is a rip off and the ray tracing performance is shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5efed3ebc2180
deactivated-5efed3ebc2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 deactivated-5efed3ebc2180
Member since 2006 • 923 Posts

Best? i7-4790K. That little sucker served well since launch (2014) til now, needed some heavy OC to be "somewhat" relative for few years now. Gotta upgrade to Zen 3 asap, tho.

Worst? Wow a though one, but i'd say Nintendo DS Lite - played just TLoZ: Phantom Hourglass + Spirit Tracks and then sold it to another poor soul...XD

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 15345 Posts

Best: PC is always an assured value. If we’re talking consoles, the Dreamcast comes to mind. That was, and still remains, the best launch I’ve ever seen. Tons of great games right out the gate: NFL 2K, Powerstone, Crazy Taxi, Virtua Fighter, Ready 2 Rumble, Soul Calibur, House of the Dead 2.

Worst: Atari Jaguar. I busted my ass for weeks doing hard labor on a farm to save up for that damn thing (ended up paying $800 IIRC), only to get Tempest at launch and later, Aliens vs Predator, pretty much the only solid game on the system worthy of remembering for its entire life.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 commander

@MirkoS77 said:

Best: PC is always an assured value. If we’re talking consoles, the Dreamcast comes to mind. That was, and still remains, the best launch I’ve ever seen. Tons of great games right out the gate: NFL 2K, Powerstone, Crazy Taxi, Virtua Fighter, Ready 2 Rumble, Soul Calibur, House of the Dead 2.

Worst: Atari Jaguar. I busted my ass for weeks doing hard labor on a farm to save up for that damn thing (ended up paying $800 IIRC), only to get Tempest at launch and later, Aliens vs Predator, pretty much the only solid game on the system worthy of remembering for its entire life.

sorry man I still think I topped you with the amiga cd32

never had the dreamcast , I was a pc gamer at that time (yeah I had to choose)

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 commander

@WESTBLADE said:

Best? i7-4790K. That little sucker served well since launch (2014) til now, needed some heavy OC to be "somewhat" relative for few years now. Gotta upgrade to Zen 3 asap, tho.

Worst? Wow a though one, but i'd say Nintendo DS Lite - played just TLoZ: Phantom Hourglass + Spirit Tracks and then sold it to another poor soul...XD

should still be ok now tho , I don't know how the bottleneck ratio's are anymore , with 4k. But i paired worse cpu's with my gtx 1070 for vr (like the I5 6500) and that didn't bottleneck.

isn't the nintendo ds a popular system?

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 commander
@BassMan said:

My RTX 2080 Ti is both my best and worst. Best because it is the most beastly GPU I have ever bought and the worst because it is a rip off and the ray tracing performance is shit.

well thank god it's not only your worst but also your best since that is quite an expensive card.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 1827 Posts

Best would be my 3600x.

Worst was my stupid 2060 because Nvidia released the super 6 months later.

ocinom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ocinom
Member since 2008 • 1091 Posts

Best: GTX 1080 before the crypto mining inflation
Worts: Corsair K70 cherry MX Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5efed3ebc2180

@commander said:
@WESTBLADE said:

should still be ok now tho , I don't know how the bottleneck ratio's are anymore , with 4k. But i paired worse cpu's with my gtx 1070 for vr (like the I5 6500) and that didn't bottleneck.

Well, i actually do a lot more stuff beyond just gaming, and even then, i'm stuck with DDR3 RAM, can't even put a NVMe SSD to proper use etc. What used to be a top-end back in 2014, is now just what i'd call "barely acceptable" for my needs...

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 commander

@ocinom said:

Best: GTX 1080 before the crypto mining inflation

Worts: Corsair K70 cherry MX Blue

that gtx 1080 is still a super card now, I bought the gtx 1070 a couple of years ago (for 550 euro's during the bitcoin craze, i needed it for fallout 4 vr , a week later they release skyrim vr, which would have still ran ok on my gtx 970, oh well at least i still got a good price for that gtx 970)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-5efed3ebc2180

@commander said:

...sorry, forgot to reply on that one:

Well, i honestly never understood what the craze was about and still don't. Last good thing that came from Nintedo was Gamecube, than it went straight downhill with the underpowered hardware and overpriced games...:\

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 commander
@WESTBLADE said:
@commander said:
@WESTBLADE said:

Well, i actually do a lot more stuff beyond just gaming, and even then, i'm stuck with DDR3 RAM, can't even put a NVMe SSD to proper use etc. What used to be a top-end back in 2014, is now just what i'd call "barely acceptable" for my needs...

what are you doing you need all that power for , my ddr4 ram is barely faster than your ddr3 ram. I have an I5 8400 whichwouldn't be all that faster as well, and a gtx 1070, i use the pc for vr, and it's quite adequate even for fallout 4 vr.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#14 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5827 Posts

Best: Radeon HD 4870 X2. That card lasted me for ages.
Worst: Xbox 360. I barely played it.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 141

#15  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 12010 Posts

@commander said:
@BassMan said:

well thank god it's not only your worst but also your best since that is quite an expensive card.

Yeah, top end cards should not cost nearly as much as the 2080 Ti.

Now that I actually think about it... My worst hardware purchase was a Radeon 9800 Pro back in 2003. It was defective and I had to RMA it twice. It was the first and last Radeon GPU I ever bought.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5efed3ebc2180

@commander said:
@WESTBLADE said:

what are you doing you need all that power for , my ddr4 ram is barely faster than your ddr3 ram. I have an I5 8400 whichwouldn't be all that faster as well, and a gtx 1070, i use the pc for vr, and it's quite adequate even for fallout 4 vr.

Nah, i'd say different people have different standards. I didn't buy a highend 4K@120Hz TV (primary monitor) at the beginning of the year just for "lulz"...;)

Here's for example my passmark run from 2 months ago (stable overclock). You can clearly see the CPU is clearly not enough, especially when you consider what kind of potato PC's must be tested, when an overclocked 2070 scores in the "highend" territory. Though what surprised me is my RAM score - decent OC/timing does miracles i guess...

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 34099 Posts

@BassMan said:

Wake me up when RTX cards can run ray tracing at 120fps or above.

No way am I going back to 60fps for PC games, not even for ray tracing.

Random_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#18 Random_Matt
Member since 2013 • 5135 Posts

Best: X570 Aqua

Worst: Nintendo Switch

Random_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#19 Random_Matt
Member since 2013 • 5135 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:
@BassMan said:

Wake me up when RTX cards can run ray tracing at 120fps or above.

No way am I going back to 60fps for PC games, not even for ray tracing.

Yep, 60 is the new 30.

1080p is the new 720p.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#20  Edited By Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

Best: Intel i7 2600k - this cpu lasted me forever, overclocked to near 5ghz and wasn't expensive. Its almost 9 years old and can still run 99% of modern games over 60 fps, what the hell? You can't say that often about any type of hardware... i wish a company could make a GPU that could remain useful last that long. My legendary Sandybridge will probably have to be retired soon once next gen systems come out since they will likely allow for more than 8 threads for games finally. I also have a 4770k on another PC i use but I also use my 2600k about equal and since it overclocks to 4.9ghz compared to only 4.4ghz on my 4770k, my 2600k is often same and sometimes faster... what a damn beast.

Worst: sega 32x and sega cd. What a waste of money, so few games for them and the ones that were on them were not great.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 36057 Posts

Best = Mighty X1X MonsterBox but soon to be eclipsed by SuperDuperMighty XseX SmexyGigantorBox. lol :P

Worst = The Wii, what a load of sheep shyt that thing was. The only console I ever sold within the first year of owning it. :(

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 commander

@SecretPolice said:

Best = Mighty X1X MonsterBox but soon to be eclipsed by SuperDuperMighty XseX SmexyGigantorBox. lol :P

Worst = The Wii, what a load of sheep shyt that thing was. The only console I ever sold within the first year of owning it. :(

I feel exactly the same about the wii, and I bought two of them

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#23  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27356 Posts

My worst hardware purchase was my PS3 because I never really used it. It wasn't bad, I just never really wanted to play on it. Out of all consoles I ever owned, it was the only one to ever be unplugged during its lifespan. For several months (and I hadn't even noticed). To top it off some of the controllers I got for it (I used its controllers for Steam) stopped working properly. Let's say I was not feeling the love.

The Wii U was a close second worst purchase, but at least I used it a lot. It was mostly the lack of software that made me a little sad about my Wii U purchase. But unlike the PS3 it did give me some unique gaming experiences like Super Mario Maker and ZombiU.

My DS was my unexpected best purchase. I own so many DS games and I loved the touchscreen and it was portable enough to carry around. It's where I got into puzzle games and rhythm games for the first time. I used my DS more than any other hardware I ever bought, and aside from 1 or 2 problems that I encountered it was a very smooth experience. It also offers the best version of Majora's Mask because of its dual screen setup.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By commander
@Yams1980 said:

Best: Intel i7 2600k - this cpu lasted me forever, overclocked to near 5ghz and wasn't expensive. Its almost 9 years old and can still run 99% of modern games over 60 fps, what the hell? You can't say that often about any type of hardware... i wish a company could make a GPU that could remain useful last that long. My legendary Sandybridge will probably have to be retired soon once next gen systems come out since they will likely allow for more than 8 threads for games finally. I also have a 4770k on another PC i use but I also use my 2600k about equal and since it overclocks to 4.9ghz compared to only 4.4ghz on my 4770k, my 2600k is often same and sometimes faster... what a damn beast.

Worst: sega 32x and sega cd. What a waste of money, so few games for them and the ones that were on them were not great.

I had the I5 2500, sandy bridge was probably the best cpu line up in cpu history. I wish i had bought the I7 2600k, even a couple of years ago i was still considering buying it second handed. If I had bought that cpu back in the day, it would have been my best buy as well.

probably would be sufficient for my vr system now as well, allthough i don't know how the pci 2.0 would still hold up.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SecretPolice

@commander said:
@SecretPolice said:

Yeah man, I held off for a long time but sheep here in SW convinced me it was sooooo "Fun" so on impulse I went on and bought one. Phfft, dang sheep are just so silly sometimes...

lol

PS, why did you buy two of them? Did you fall for the line if you duct tape two together you'd have the powah of OG Xbox? :P

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 commander
@WESTBLADE said:
@commander said:
@WESTBLADE said:

Nah, i'd say different people have different standards. I didn't buy a highend 4K@120Hz TV (primary monitor) at the beginning of the year just for "lulz"...;)

Here's for example my passmark run from 2 months ago (stable overclock). You can clearly see the CPU is clearly not enough, especially when you consider what kind of potato PC's must be tested, when an overclocked 2070 scores in the "highend" territory. Though what surprised me is my RAM score - decent OC/timing does miracles i guess...

yeah i was a sucker for power too back in the day, but now i'm playing rdr 2 on my base xboxone. The moment i started playing on consoles and tv, i didn't really care for graphics that much anymore, since you're not sitting so close to the screen.

I need the power for vr thou

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By commander

@SecretPolice said:
@commander said:

Yeah man, I held off for a long time but sheep here in SW convinced me it was sooooo "Fun" so on impulse I went on and bought one. Phfft, dang sheep are just so silly sometimes...

lol

PS, why did you buy two of them? Did you fall for the line if you duct tape two together you'd have the powah of OG Xbox? :P

no the first one i bought because of the motion control hype, then i sold it and the second one i bought also because of the motion control hype (they had like updated motion controls, and a samurai game )

I know i'm an idiot.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 42520 Posts

Best: RTX 2070 & Ryzen 2700X gives me more benefits then I could ask for.

Worst: Xbox One and I barely if ever use it but then again, I really enjoy Rare Replay on it and that's a game that will never come to PC and pretty much the only true Xbox One exclusive. But still, Xbox One takes the cake. Glad I gave my Xbox One to my daughter.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 1039 Posts

Ps pro a lot of money for the little upgrade

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#30 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4272 Posts

Best- Switch. Ive got an insane amount of playtime out of it.

Worst- PS4. Never had a console collect so much dust.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SecretPolice

@commander:

Eh, we live and learn, well, sometimes. lol

As a side note, the best experience I had with the Wii is using a regular controller playing GameCube's, Celda ( Wind Waker ) for the first time so at least it had that going for it. :P

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 34099 Posts

@Random_Matt said:

Yep, 60 is the new 30.

1080p is the new 720p.

60fps is fine for action games and RTS.

But if you are playing FPS than the extra fluidity you get from 60+fps is a god send.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 4939 Posts

Best: Xbox. Great games, online service, best 3rd party ports, best exclusives, great featured console. Best controller in gaming history.

Worst: ps2. Terrible game selection, terrible online service/quality, too many anime games, poor ports, lack of features.

id_mew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By id_mew
Member since 2007 • 584 Posts

my worst is 2080 Ti, payed over $1700 Canadian for it, I wish I skipped a generation and waited for Ampere.

My best is my Nintendo Switch, it's getting the most use now and it makes my long subway rides really enjoyable.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 13041 Posts

Best was probably my 9800GT, which I wound up using for YEARS AND YEARS. Switch is close.

Worst was probably my R7-260x which I bought to be a bargain bin card but even then it was noisy hot and underperforming, and I didtched it ASAP for a GTX970. Or the original XBox which was highly redundant with my computer and tue disc drive failed multiple times on the POS

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 30698 Posts

Best: Neo Geo. Loved that system as well as the massive cartridges that it used even though they were expensive as all hell.

Worst: 3DO. What a dud of a system and expensive as well.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@commander:

Worst,

1. SIS BX Pro chipset for my 1st Celeron 300A. I was looking for Intel 440BX chipset but SIS named their chipset as BX Pro label. I later replaced SIS BX Pro chipset with Intel 440ZX.

2. GeForce FX 5950U, 1st DX9 card and it's shit. I should have purchased ATI's DX9 card e.g. Radeon 9700.

3. GeForce 8600M GT, NVidia's infamous bump-gate debacle which makes Xbox 360 RRoD cheap when the entire an ASUS G1S laptop is thrown in the bin i.e. ~$2000 in the drain.

I was covered by ASUS warranty while other GeForce 8 mobile owners launched a class action against US laptop vendors. https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2010/10/nvidia-settles-faulty-processor-suit-dell-hp-compaq-mac.html

HP sucks back then and still sucks in 2020.

Best,

1. Intel Haswell i7-4790K which could last until the end of this game console generation. Sold to a small home building business for ~55% from my i7-4790K's purchase cost. My old gaming PC converted into actual buiness PC.

2. MSI R9-290X Gaming X OC (unofficial near R9-390X) which could last until the end of this game console generation.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#38 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 10058 Posts

Best: i5-2500k - just a awesome CPU that overclocked like a champ and lasted ages. Sold it to a friend after and they are still using it I believe.

Worst: a dell Inspiron laptop I bought maybe ~12ish years ago when I was in high school. I had hoped to play some games on it but it had a garbage integrated GPU that couldn't run shit.

mainly I bought it for school work, bit it overheated like a mofo, and the touch pad was sensitive to my palm and constantly caused problems while typing.

just a terrible laptop all around.

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 VirusVaccine21
Member since 2020 • 712 Posts

Best - PS2. DVD player, amazing games.

Worst - Xbox ONE. Bought it last year, collected dust within 2 days. Sold it and bought a Switch.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 674 Posts

Best: HD 4870 in early March 2009. Purchased the 1GB version new for $180 and got near top of the line performance that completely blew away anything consoles could approach the rest of that generation. Offered up my first introduction of what a powerful video card can do in terms of AA, graphics, and framerate (always gone lower mid-range or budget before) and now I can't go back.

Worst: Geforce FX 5200, bought it for $200 to replace my Geforce 3 ti 320 (?) only to discover it actually performed WORSE in many titles. Really put me off Nvidia with that experience, unfortunately AMD just can't compete nowadays. Hopefully RDNA 2 lives up to the hype so I can go back to team red next upgrade.