TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22626 Posts

Good buddy @Heil68 passed this along to me and thought it was interesting, apologies if it was previously posted.

Nor do its RPG elements make it simply Halo with levelling. Its scope goes much wider than that. It isn’t a mook-grinding, loot-grabbing, Borderlands 2.5 either. Its focus is much more precise, and intricate than that.

You know you're playing it, and you know the early complaints have merit... question is, are you enjoying it more as it goes on and is it heading from a 6/10 upwards?

Further, This judgement we have of games quality at the point of release, and whether its fair to put a black and white stamp onto a game that could potentially grow into something (different,augmented/better? take your pick) later on down the line is an interesting addition to an already intriguing industry. Sure the argument has always been there, but it shines on a game like Destiny.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

It's much more fun when you get better gear, because more strikes, events and raids open up. Any of those above level 24 is super hard, even with a group of friends. Leveling up legendary gear, turning in bounties, gaining faction reputation, playing crucible and doing strikes with brahs.

Still having loads of fun with Destiny.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Games should be fun from the start, not 20 levels in.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@clyde46 said:

Well that's kinda weird coming from a PC gamer... All sorts of PC exclusives have rough starts and slowly escalate in to something exceptional. Strategy games as a whole for example, or Mount and Blade (Warband), the STALKER series, MOBAs... All of these usually give off a terrible first impression, until you dig deeper.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

The game is fun at level 1 and keeps getting better. The game is heavily focused on co-op so if your playing alone and not having fun then it is time to buy some friends. Wish I could play now.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Borderlands>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Destiny

I dont even like Borderlands

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

I'm a 27 in Destiny with far more time than 20 hours spent so far and I've gotten a fair deal into the raid.

All this fanboy defense of Bungie and the game I've seen (mostly on Bungie.net) is truly pathetic. People need to accept that the game was horribly overhyped, advertising was misleading, the loot system is god awful, the story (the 1 thing I actually expected to be grear for sure) was practically non-existent, pvp is handled poorly in both balance and rewards, the amount of content is lacking,etc.

I don't give 1 flying **** that Bungie is going to add more to the game later, even if it is free. I paid for a complete experience NOW. If the game is so poor without whatever the hell they are withholding that I should save my judgment for then, I'd have to say in response that Bungie sold me an incomplete game at full price and I should be compensated. Hell, we better get at least 1 expansion that adds a shitton of content FOR FREE otherwise I see no reason to sink more money into this barebones disappointment.

And don't listen to all the asshats trying to justify the game's flaws by claiming that "it's an MMO and that explains why X is the way that it is". This game is about as much of an MMO as Mario Kart is a sim racer.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

I ... Fick..

I've been plaing this with wolverine for so long, and man, shit's crazy. DO I NEED MORE FROM A GAME? No. Probably not.

The sheens have been owned.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

welcome to the 128th game from the last 8 years or so that got critically panned that i later learned i was playing wrong.

yep, put the blame on me, it's all my fault.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I thought it was a shit $60 game and I was having a hard time with it because I was getting so bored in the shallow world, but then I realized I didn't understand the game thanks to the article.

I'm going to keep playing Destiny until the multiple sequels roll out so I can understand and learn to love it. I hope this author can forgive my, and millions of others, gaming tastes for daring to have issue with the Destiny. Yes, the Destiny. All games should be half as good as Destiny. I have no idea what I was thinking or the kinds of games I THOUGHT I liked before this Destiny game came out, but I now realize it's all wrong. Funny, it took the Destiny to release to open our collective eyes. I can't trust myself or the time I was having with it, but thankfully a higher gaming authority has us all covered. I'm definitely going to do as the author suggests when I wake up in the morning, repeat in the mirror how much fun I had the night before with the Destiny game. You have to remind yourself and tell yourself if you are going to play this game right.

I didn't understand Destiny, plain and simple. I'm going to be sending a lot of emails out to others in my FL that have been complaining. It's time to enlighten everyone as to the fun they were having that they didn't realize they were having.

I rather enjoyed the temerity this author employed with the title as he addressed millions of readers: 'You don't understand Destiny". There is A LOT to understand about this particular video game, it's so rich, and deep, and a metaphor for a great many things, it's philosophical in nature, and really is one of the great games of our gaming generation. That was a close call, we as gamers almost missed the mark, but he came along to prod us along the way.

Comduter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12 Comduter
Member since 2004 • 2316 Posts

Of course I don't understand this game. I don't have the slightest interest in it either.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@clyde46 said:

I like it when I haven't seen all the game has to offer in the first 20 minutes.

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

I'm having a blast with Destiny. I can see how it'd put some people off though.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15559 Posts

They're right, I don't understand Destiny.

Which is why I choose not to play it.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#16 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

@Vaasman said:

They're right, I don't understand Destiny.

Which is why I choose not to play it.

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By CyberLips
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

If you need to constantly tell people that your game is/will get fun then i you have done something wrong.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

That's some apologizing right there.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@TheEroica:

There's certainly merit to that. Gamers today want the same controls for every game and to immediately understand how the game is played. This is similar to Miyamotos comments about modern day gamers. The extreme example would be flight simulators--those things are a blast once you even get a slight grip on how things work, but things take time there.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator

@jg4xchamp said:

That's some apologizing right there.

I quoted your favorite line in the op for you :P

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Destiny isn't short on content, it's short on quality.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@handssss said:

I'm a 27 in Destiny with far more time than 20 hours spent so far and I've gotten a fair deal into the raid.

All this fanboy defense of Bungie and the game I've seen (mostly on Bungie.net) is truly pathetic. People need to accept that the game was horribly overhyped, advertising was misleading, the loot system is god awful, the story (the 1 thing I actually expected to be grear for sure) was practically non-existent, pvp is handled poorly in both balance and rewards, the amount of content is lacking,etc.

I don't give 1 flying **** that Bungie is going to add more to the game later, even if it is free. I paid for a complete experience NOW. If the game is so poor without whatever the hell they are withholding that I should save my judgment for then, I'd have to say in response that Bungie sold me an incomplete game at full price and I should be compensated. Hell, we better get at least 1 expansion that adds a shitton of content FOR FREE otherwise I see no reason to sink more money into this barebones disappointment.

And don't listen to all the asshats trying to justify the game's flaws by claiming that "it's an MMO and that explains why X is the way that it is". This game is about as much of an MMO as Mario Kart is a sim racer.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Couth_ said:

@handssss said:

Dat Ether

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

That article should make GS go hang their head in shame.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheEroica  Moderator
@Heirren said:

@TheEroica:

There's certainly merit to that. Gamers today want the same controls for every game and to immediately understand how the game is played. This is similar to Miyamotos comments about modern day gamers. The extreme example would be flight simulators--those things are a blast once you even get a slight grip on how things work, but things take time there.

Some people like the Symphony and others like Punk rock. I see what you are saying about modern day gamers and our lack of attention span to the way we consume gaming, but I think there is an overwhelming response to the design moreso than the controls.

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

I had reservations about Destiny from the first footage I saw...this coming from a gamer whose BEST memories period of any game are massive LAN parties in Halo:CE with my buddies.

Something about the game just seemed...lifeless and sterile.

You shouldn't have to write articles explaining to people HOW a game is actually more fun/ambitious/long-lasting than it appears to be and that their opinions are somehow wrong or premature.

Games should speak for themselves.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

The damage control for this game is just getting delicious.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Couldnt care less about reviews because i am enjoying the game a lot.. i mean at one point after beating the game i started wonder what else is there to do but now that my friends have jumped over to the game its been a blast and i been playing it almost daily now since release with a level 23 and Vanguard level 1 ( gonna be level 2 soon ).

will i play it even more in the coming months? i sort of doubt that, i think once im leveled up pretty high and gather a bunch of friends to beat the Raid mode it will be it, dont think i'll play it after i beat the raid and now that Advanced Warfare is closing up even more reasons that i wont be playing it that much in future months unless the DLC's really good.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@TheEroica:

I only used controls as an example.

It is strange how people wanted the COD FPS controls for everything, same tps controls, etc-------yet complain that all the games are the same.

I haven't played destiny. It just never caught my attention from all the presentations, etc. maybe after a price cut, but I doubt it. It felt like hype from the start, halo reach wasn't that great(dull), and I question who is even still at Bungie.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#30 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts
@clyde46 said:

We all should have learned this from FFXIII.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By clyde46

@ps4hasnogames said:

@clyde46 said:

I like it when I haven't seen all the game has to offer in the first 20 minutes.

Thats not what I said now was it.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By clyde46

@Heirren said:

@TheEroica:

I only used controls as an example.

It is strange how people wanted the COD FPS controls for everything, same tps controls, etc-------yet complain that all the games are the same.

I haven't played destiny. It just never caught my attention from all the presentations, etc. maybe after a price cut, but I doubt it. It felt like hype from the start, halo reach wasn't that great(dull), and I question who is even still at Bungie.

Having the same control scheme means I can go from game to game and be able to pick it up straight away. Having the same control scheme is in no way the same as complaining that games are the same.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@clyde46:

Yeah, it is in a way.

fierro316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 fierro316
Member since 2003 • 1727 Posts

And that's how you kill your site's credibility.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

I'd give the game about a 8 or 8.5 out of 10.

I really enjoy the game. Sure there are a few things that could've been better...but overall, I find the game quite fun.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@Couth_ said:

@handssss said:

Dat Ether

that shit that make your soul burn slow

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

im having fun in that game. I dont know why people were surprised that the game turned out like this...i mean they did just have an alpha and a beta for the game.

fps games have rinse repeat objectives right? mmo's have repetitive objectives right? so combine them together and we get more repetitive objectives...or am i wrong here

the game was based on different planets, so a lot of it is portal jumping to different worlds. Now i understand that this game should have been bigger...but lets keep it real...it was on ps3 and 360

the story should have been better that explained a lot more....but its an fps....

i dont know, maybe its because that i wasnt even hyped for this game until i played the beta, but this game turned out the way i expected it to. this is a solid 7-7.5 game to me....maybe even an 8 (would have been a solid 8 but this legendary gear farming is sooo hit and miss)

and as much as i see all the reviewers and forum posters hating this game, i'm seeing a lot of people who like it a lot. They tend to be the guys that only play cod, madden , gta type gamers... but they like it

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GodspellWH
Member since 2013 • 1078 Posts

Come on people a 6/10 on GS is a fair game here. Fair is fair people nothing more lol

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

Yeah... no... I'd rather got for a 5th playthrough of the main borderlands 2 campaign

"games quality at the point of release", This is something a lot of devs and gamers don't understand, and it's that the first impression is the most important, if on release date you can't create a good impression, then your game will have trouble getting through, this whole "the game gets good after lvl 20" is a huge red flag for anyone who's looking for a great experience

Even for rough starts, the most a game of this kind should go is lvl 5-10, or even: 4-5 hours before it starts to make a much better impression

Have some respect and don't throw the stupid "you don't understand it" excuse

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

I choose to play the games that are fun from start to finish. There are plenty of them.

You don't need to apologize for Bungie.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Did a 2 man weekly Nightfall today (me lev26 and the other guy lev25) was hard as F*CK but i enjoyed it a lot. This is the kind of content i want from this game.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44  Edited By BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

@silversix_ said:

Did a 2 man weekly Nightfall today (me lev26 and the other guy lev25) was hard as F*CK but i enjoyed it a lot. This is the kind of content i want from this game.

2 man weekly nightfall 0_o Man, maybe I should do 3 man level 27's before it's done lol.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12060 Posts

Really TC, really....,.....

We just don't get the game????????

I have never heard such a lame excuse in my 30+ years of gaming.

The game is universally panned because we don't get it.............awesome!

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46  Edited By R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

The only thing I know for sure is that the "story" in Destiny is absolute garbage.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@roler42 said:

"the game gets good after lvl 20"

That was never once uttered by Bungie. That phrase came from people who can't read and think "different" means "better"

funkmaster1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By funkmaster1233
Member since 2014 • 706 Posts

At the end of the day, the PVP could have saved Destiny but it didn't.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Yea, I think I understand it's a shitty repetitive FPS grandest, thank you.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#50 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@TheEroica said:

Good buddy @Heil68 passed this along to me and thought it was interesting, apologies if it was previously posted.

Nor do its RPG elements make it simply Halo with levelling. Its scope goes much wider than that. It isn’t a mook-grinding, loot-grabbing, Borderlands 2.5 either. Its focus is much more precise, and intricate than that.

You know you're playing it, and you know the early complaints have merit... question is, are you enjoying it more as it goes on and is it heading from a 6/10 upwards?

Further, This judgement we have of games quality at the point of release, and whether its fair to put a black and white stamp onto a game that could potentially grow into something (different,augmented/better? take your pick) later on down the line is an interesting addition to an already intriguing industry. Sure the argument has always been there, but it shines on a game like Destiny.

People that like to farm all day long the same areas , again and again because of the "loot" obsession doesnt mean Destiny is a good game. ... Its not , sorry. Being addicted to loot doesnt necessarily transform games mechanics , level design , the way game works in general and the feel of it.

I know how does loot addiction feels but that alone doesnt make a game good , just addictive. Dont get confused with that.